PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Muffler

rhysporter
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Ok I bought my Breeze with a 2 inch exhaust system on it, i have no idea what it is etc... but the guy was a muffler mechanic dude and he said it was 2 inch, sounds decent enough...

However... when I really rev it (Dont know RPM, dont have a tacho :o ) It sounds ok for a while, but then starts vibrating and sounds more like a mosquito or lawnmower...

What the hell is it? It sounds like its coming from under me or a little behind but i cant be sure...

I want to get it fixed b4 i get my license back because its really not cool when driving away from school at the end of the day...

jimus888
08-05-2007, 08:38 PM
try looking or listening for a air leak in the exhaust system somewhere, i had a small leak around my extractors and people said it sounded like a lawnmower. just an idea anyway.

Drew
08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Ideally take it to a shop and let them chuck it up on a hoist and see if there are any leaks

Much better than having to crawl around on concrete yourself for ages...

supersamEK
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
loose or dead mounts?

Int3gra-T
08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
maybe the its of the rubber mount.

EKVTIR-T
08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Ideally take it to a shop and let them chuck it up on a hoist and see if there are any leaks

Much better than having to crawl around on concrete yourself for ages...
What he said....;)

rhysporter
08-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Alright, I'll get it back to the mechanic who did the motor and tell him it only happened since he put the new one in lol...

Limbo
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
sounds like a cheap quality muffler if it vibrates like that

Jord
09-05-2007, 11:12 AM
could be cat converter... mines making a shocking noise atm and i only had a brand new exhaust put on a months ago.

hyrpm
09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
could be the cat to front pipe vibrating the gasket inbetween them could be worn as the bolts that hold them are spring loaded and it moves
give me a rep point plz anyone

Boban
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
What they all said, also (my 2c :p) on my eh9 i have a resonator (aka hotdog) and the eg8 doesn't have it. After driving both i've noticed that the one with resonator is alot deeper sounding than the one without especially at high rpm.

But yeah man, get a pro to have a look, we had to straighten out the zorst on the eg8 and it only cost me 15 bux to get it done properly rather than me crawling around with a hammer and tapping it into place

kyle
09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
could be just the fact it's a 1.3L 4cyl

09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
could be just the fact it's a 1.3L 4cyl

den it shoulds sound like a hyabusha? LOL

supersamEK
09-05-2007, 08:10 PM
den it shoulds sound like a hyabusha? LOL
haha true

if its a vibration noise it most probably something moving around ie. mounts, something loose, leak

Blulude98
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Could also be something in there.
Do this: Get one of your mates to look at the end of your exhaust pipe really close and rev the phuker to 8k for like 5 minutes. It should be fine after that!

rhysporter
10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Its a 1.5 now... Engine swapped to a GL engine lol... I know its not much better but yeah...

flipstar
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
it could be the heat shield i know it sounds funni but it happened 2 me it vibrated when i dropped in rpm

EK4R
10-05-2007, 03:56 PM
this happen at certain RPMS or constant? cos im getting sound only at like 3kRPM. so its definitly not a leak. probably cheap muffler

flipstar
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
this happen at certain RPMS or constant? cos im getting sound only at like 3kRPM. so its definitly not a leak. probably cheap muffler

yeah that happened 2 me too around 3k-3.1k rpm check the weilding around ur heat shield above your cat sounds exactly like mine i jus fixD up the weilding and no more funni noises

EK4R
10-05-2007, 08:15 PM
yeah that happened 2 me too around 3k-3.1k rpm check the weilding around ur heat shield above your cat sounds exactly like mine i jus fixD up the weilding and no more funni noises

well i removed my heatshield above my cat actaully. and noise still there.

is there a way to check where the noise is coming from?? im not sure if i get the buzzing noise at idle tho.

rhysporter
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah as a rough guess, id say mine starts to vibrate at 3k rpm... it gets louder up to like 4 maybe? then goes away as i'm headin towards what i think is the redline...

Just a kinda related question, does my GL engine have a rev limiter????

flipstar
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM
well i removed my heatshield above my cat actaully. and noise still there.

is there a way to check where the noise is coming from?? im not sure if i get the buzzing noise at idle tho.

worse case it could be your whole cat maybe the filter in the could be broken and vibrates as rpms drop jus jack it up and giv ur cat a few taps and see if anything is loose inside or tap your whole exhaust system to see if anything is inside ur system

EK4R
11-05-2007, 12:18 AM
worse case it could be your whole cat maybe the filter in the could be broken and vibrates as rpms drop jus jack it up and giv ur cat a few taps and see if anything is loose inside or tap your whole exhaust system to see if anything is inside ur system

umm thats going to be alil hard. mite have to wait when i can use a hoist next time.

would i have to replace my cat if thats the case? damn

flipstar
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
umm thats going to be alil hard. mite have to wait when i can use a hoist next time.

would i have to replace my cat if thats the case? damn

yea you would have to cause if the filter is broken and you get caught its a on the spot 1500 fine the cat itself isnt expensive depending if your gettN a high flow make sure you get a quality 1 as well whats gonna set you back the most is getting it installed cause the have to rebuild the piping for it so you would be looking around the 300 mark for a quality 1 if your lucky you might be able to find a 2nd hand 1 for cheap

Boban
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah as a rough guess, id say mine starts to vibrate at 3k rpm... it gets louder up to like 4 maybe? then goes away as i'm headin towards what i think is the redline...

Just a kinda related question, does my GL engine have a rev limiter????

Only one way to find out mate :p

My redline goes from 7.1-9k. I have bounced it off at 9k a few times, won't say what i was doing but yeah, it was in first gear though. On normal driving there is a fuel cutout at 7.2 so you don't blow your engine.

rhysporter
11-05-2007, 10:31 PM
lol what were you doin?
So If i e-brake it round a corner in 2nd, and floor it/start spinning the fronts to get the car back on track.. Its gonna start bouncing at 7.2k?????

(Making a short film on teenage hoons, theres nowhere to get HighDefinition footage of kids doin this stuff, so its gotta be me...)

Boban
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
get a gli cluster with tacho if you are still using your breeze cluster or get an aftermarket tacho for around 50bux and see where it cuts out and how far it will go

rhysporter
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
wanna help me hook a gli cluster up? lol

I hate the look of aftermarket guages...

Boban
11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Boss wrecking at wynnum here on the southside

are you bagging out my gauges :p

rhysporter
11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
You own a wreckers?

lol i thought you only had those white dials?

Guages are ok if its for boost or something... those cars with ones for engine temp, tacho, shift light, oil temp, petrol and whatever else they can find all chucked on their dash look gay as...

Boban
13-05-2007, 06:23 PM
i wish man, nah i get most of my stuff from them, but they've put up their prices lately so i might have to go elsewhere :p

Yeah i got the white face dials as well as 2 small gauges on my a-pillar

dsp26
13-05-2007, 10:33 PM
back on topic...

ok the catback got changed to a 2inch right? does it have a resonator? coz the factory pipe has one.

I just changed mine (b16) to a 2.5in mandrel without a resi and had a stock muffler on... it had the lawnmower sound at the exact points you said.... having a del sol with a back window that winds down, i can confirm that the sound comes from the rear so that eliminates the spring joint theory as i was thinking the same.

i'm fairly confident the issue will get resolved with a resonator so i will get one this week and let you guys know.

rhysporter
13-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Whats the best way to see if i've got a resonator? And can you do a DIY job of putting one on?

dsp26
13-05-2007, 10:43 PM
^^^it looks kinda like a cannon but its located anywhere between the cat and rear muffler

rhysporter
13-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I shall have a look tomorow, how much is it to buy one?

vinnY
24-05-2007, 05:44 PM
shouldn't cost much, its the labour to weld it on which is expensive

also could be crap thats broken inside your resonator
i'll post up a pic of what i found in my resonator in a minute after i process the raw file :)

edit;
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8628/resgutsvj1.jpg
lots of broken stuff! some weird ceramic stuff covered in carbon and steel wool?

rivergod
24-05-2007, 06:01 PM
the exhaust isnt warmed up i reckon...

well, thats my view on it - when i take my ek out anything past 5K turns into a fart

after about 10 minutes of driving, it goes away

dsp26
24-05-2007, 07:20 PM
shouldn't cost much, its the labour to weld it on which is expensive

also could be crap thats broken inside your resonator
i'll post up a pic of what i found in my resonator in a minute after i process the raw file :)

edit;
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8628/resgutsvj1.jpg
lots of broken stuff! some weird ceramic stuff covered in carbon and steel wool?

what the ****?!?!?!

what kind of resonator was that... definately not a hotdog.

Also i forgot about this thread, i got the resonator installed at carline and happy to report the resonator completely removed the buzzing.

they were happy to shove the resonator through my tip to prove if it worked, at the time there was some slight buzzing but told them to go ahead.

it really is simply the resonance of a B series engine... Honda knew it... it's why they have a factory resi!!

vinnY
24-05-2007, 07:41 PM
stock exhaust on a civic :) lots of loose bits came out, took about 30 minutes of shaking the whole b-pipe for all that junk to come out

rhysporter
24-05-2007, 09:09 PM
DSP26, how much did it cost to get one from carline?

dsp26
24-05-2007, 10:44 PM
DSP26, how much did it cost to get one from carline?

$90 fitted for 2.5in.. hotdog style... but then thats about the same for any exhaust shop.
just decided to go with a branded place like carline who actually give good good honest advice with legalities in mind (authorised epa checking station.. the one i went to anyway)

they also have this nice oval one that was staggered in piping inside (kinda like a multi-bandpass setup on sub boxes).. damn well quietened down the exhaust sound too but they didn't have stock of 2.5inch.