PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise (popping/ticking/tapping)

Koul
08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, I have a 89 XSI with a b16 in in. I've recently noticed I'm getting some engine noise and I've searched all over the internet for some answers with not much luck.

I notice the noise immediately on start up, but only if the windows are down or if I'm in a drive thru it becomes more noticeable. It won't go away as the car warms up. I can't hear the noise unless windows are down.

Its for sure ticking or knocking with the RPM's of the engine and I can only notice it at idle and low RPM's until the engine noise overpowers it. I've listened to it with a stethoscope and its for sure coming from cylinder #3 and slightly from 1.

I haven't noticed any power loss and there hasn't been a check engine light on. Checked the oil and its sitting half way in between low and max. The oil is changed regularly and I've recently had the timing belt done.

Anything you guru's can suggest from this or something I need to check before I get someone to look at? I'm a student and would love to save some money if possible.

BluEG
08-05-2007, 09:09 PM
check you valve clearance,

if not might be LMA (lost motion assembly) problem

common problem with earlier b16a's

try adjust your valve lash first as its a easier process

valve adjustment on d series engine, similar on b series.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443&highlight=valve+adjustment

LMA thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45586&page=2&highlight=Lost+motion+assembly

Koul
09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Right on, gives me a job for this morning. Thanks for the help.

tinkerbell
09-05-2007, 11:48 AM
might be injectors... i suggest and injector flush or on bench clean AFTER you have checked the valve clearance AND the LMA's...

JasonGilholme
09-05-2007, 11:51 AM
run the car, pop the bonnet and stick ya head in there.

I've got the same thing from mine. its definately injectors.

Koul
11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Solved the problem... When I was taking the spark plugs out, one was almost falling out. I guess it was rattling around inside and making noise. Easy fix though!

AsH_
11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
rattling around ???

never heard of that...

TheSaint
11-05-2007, 08:33 PM
*goes to check plugs and get an injector clean on b18c.....*

Koul
12-05-2007, 07:00 AM
First time I've encountered it. I flushed the injectors, replaced the plugs as the ones that were loose were fouled. Good news is shes running like a dream.

I guess its just one more thing to suggest when there's engine noise.