PDA

View Full Version : Manual Euro, rev between gear changes

Bad Inferno
08-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I am about to be the proud owner of a 2005 Euro (pickup on Saturday) and noticed on the test drive that when changing gears the engine revs increased between changes. and yes I did have my foot off the accelerator.

Is this normal ?

cheers

Rob
Melbourne

destrukshn
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM
your probably accelrating too early.

Bad Inferno
08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I only had a 20 minute drive....will be the family car

my daily ride is a manual xr6Turbo so it will take alittle getting used to.

Bad Inferno
08-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Where in Melbourne can I buy an aftermarket short shifter.....The stick seemed high and very upright. May as well start the mod thing, the week we pick it up :)

thanks

E-Gene
08-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Where in Melbourne can I buy an aftermarket short shifter.....The stick seemed high and very upright. May as well start the mod thing, the week we pick it up :)

thanks

Well, I got my Comptech SS from Ebay. Ordered it and it came within a week.

curik
08-05-2007, 11:50 PM
The best one is the Spoon short shifter. It has a straight gear lever, and also a lot shorter compared to stock. It is less notchy than the Comptech SS. I'm using one right now and I highly recommend it. One of our traders sell it.

ok2
09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Congrats on the "new" car. :wave:

I'd guess you are just experiencing the drive by wire (DBW) and "lean burn" (ELB ?) where the engine revs are not dropped when you left off the accelerator to reduce un-burnt fuel (or so I understand). If you search for DBW you should find lots of references.

You sort of "get used to it" but I still notice it and would love to get rid of it. I'm hoping the fabled Hondata re-flash will "fix" this to some extent but we are still waiting for the Australian version to get released ...

EuroAccord13
09-05-2007, 01:48 AM
It's the DBW... The revs should only increase abit only.. If you are talking somewhere in the region of 100rpm onwards.. then it's your foot :D

tony1234
09-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Yep.Like ok2 and euroaccord13 said its the DBW.I too would like to get rid of it but you do get used to it,it's not too bad.:(

aaronng
09-05-2007, 08:30 AM
And....... Honda USA has fixed this "feature" with their Civic Si because of complaints (it also has an electronic throttle). I don't think they did a fix for the Euro though. Search the Civic Si forums for "rev hanging".

Tobster
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
my daily ride is a manual xr6Turbo

You already drive a car with an electronic throttle -- but the Euro's is a little touchy; it's one of the quirks of the car, and it takes a little getting used to. The Euro's throttle is unlike any other car I've ever driven.

Yes, what you experienced is normal for the car.

Takenit2easy
09-05-2007, 11:24 AM
The best one is the Spoon short shifter. It has a straight gear lever, and also a lot shorter compared to stock. It is less notchy than the Comptech SS. I'm using one right now and I highly recommend it. One of our traders sell it.

Hey just wondering if this TSX one from america will fit????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280103423765&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=7989986352&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

cheers

EDIT

oops i think i quoted the wrong thread but you get the idea!!!!

curik
09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
yes it will, but you will not get the slick shifting feel of the Spoon's. Also the gearknob is sitting much lower than stock, more like an RX8 or 350Z i guess :P

Bad Inferno
09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reassurance that they all do it....Getting an RACV inspection done tomorrow and pick it up Saturday.

EuroAccord13
10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Although Spoon's shift throw is still not as short as a Comptech unit....

curik
10-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Although Spoon's shift throw is still not as short as a Comptech unit....

Hmm isnt it? That might be true, but even if a shift throw is very short it would not be nice if it is notchy.

EuroAccord13
11-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Hmm isnt it? That might be true, but even if a shift throw is very short it would not be nice if it is notchy.

Aaron has the shifter and he compared it against my Comptech unit and he reckons the Comptech one is still shorter although his shifter sits lower than mine....

Other thing is... in Reverse, the Spoon unit makes the knob very close to the handbrake...

Euro76
11-05-2007, 08:31 AM
I am about to be the proud owner of a 2005 Euro (pickup on Saturday) and noticed on the test drive that when changing gears the engine revs increased between changes. and yes I did have my foot off the accelerator.

Is this normal ?

cheers

Rob
Melbourne

Yes it's normal. I had that too, rev only increases very slightly probably around 200rpm.

aaronng
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Aaron has the shifter and he compared it against my Comptech unit and he reckons the Comptech one is still shorter although his shifter sits lower than mine....

Other thing is... in Reverse, the Spoon unit makes the knob very close to the handbrake...

After driving your car today, I found another difference between the comptech and spoon/mugen. The spoon/mugen one reduces the left-right shift distance between adjacent gears, 1,3 and 5 (and 2, 4 and 6). Also, the spring in the spoon is much heavier. So to push the stick left-right, you need more force. Also, when you let the input shaft revs drop to the perfect point to change gears, the Comptech is as smooth as stock!

Bad Inferno
11-05-2007, 04:58 PM
How difficult is it to fit the Spoon shifter...?

EuroAccord13
11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
How difficult is it to fit the Spoon shifter...?

Not hard at all...

All it took was a Masters and a PhD Academic to install LOL!

No seriously, it's a medium level job for DIY beginners....