PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

BusterSonic12
09-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Had a quick search, don't see any topic in the euro section relating to this :p

i just want to replace my spark plugs with some JDM ones (preferably HKS) but just wonderin which is the right one to get because i want it to be better than oem plugs ofcos :D the oem plugs are NGK IZFR6K-11. Are the S series or M series of the HKS range better than oem + do they fit our euro? or suggestion of other brand of JDM plugs

i m noob**

aaronng
09-05-2007, 08:23 AM
It won't be better than OEM plugs. The HKS S-series iridium plugs will last about 40-60,000km. S-series is similar to NGK's IridiumIX plugs.

The M-series will last about 80-100,000km and the spark will be similar to OEM.

The difference between the M and S series is the electrode diameter, with the S being narrower and is supposed to give you a better spark.

BTW, when you change to HKS, keep your plugs safely as you will need them when the HKS ones wear out.

BusterSonic12
09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
It won't be better than OEM plugs. The HKS S-series iridium plugs will last about 40-60,000km. S-series is similar to NGK's IridiumIX plugs.

The difference between the M and S series is the electrode diameter, with the S being narrower and is supposed to give you a better spark.

BTW, when you change to HKS, keep your plugs safely as you will need them when the HKS ones wear out.

the km is the last thing i think of :p hahahha so s series better performance? but it is still under oem? what about some other JDM brand ones

aaronng
09-05-2007, 08:36 AM
the km is the last thing i think of :p hahahha so s series better performance? but it is still under oem? what about some other JDM brand ones

They claim S gives better spark than OEM. But in my opinion, there is no difference. You might get more power from indexing your plugs than going for the S-series.

Also, JDM brand spark plugs are usually rebadged NGK or Denso plugs. That reminds me, NGK and Denso plugs are JDM! :)

JasonGilholme
09-05-2007, 08:44 AM
hahahah JDM plugs!!! lol

Just get NGK ones and change them regularly. That'll keep a better spark in you're chamber and have better performance then anything JDM.

Tobster
09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Use the wrong plugs though, and you can get much worse performance.

JasonGilholme
09-05-2007, 10:37 AM
its the same as using different fuels.

Get the wrong fuel and you'll suffer with poor performance.

Get the right fuel and you'll be fine.

Get the slightly higher octance fuel and you'll hardly notice any difference at all, if any.

ALN
09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Had a quick search, don't see any topic in the euro section relating to this :p

i just want to replace my spark plugs with some JDM ones (preferably HKS) but just wonderin which is the right one to get because i want it to be better than oem plugs ofcos :D the oem plugs are NGK IZFR6K-11. Are the S series or M series of the HKS range better than oem + do they fit our euro? or suggestion of other brand of JDM plugs

i m noob**

I've been using the HKS racing spark plug for over a year now. Not sure about gains on dyno though but the car seems running smoothly from what I remembered and probably improve in acceleration a bit.

BusterSonic12
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I've been using the HKS racing spark plug for over a year now. Not sure about gains on dyno though but the car seems running smoothly from what I remembered and probably improve in acceleration a bit.

do u have aftermarket lead as well? or just the plug changed?

sendok
09-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I think OEM one is the best. Anyway, aftermarket plugs doesn't do much IMO, just a spark and that's about it. :D

JasonGilholme
09-05-2007, 04:05 PM
As long as sparks are flyin its ok. lol

crx_boy7
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM

lol
u want him to keep his plugs for how long??? 60,000kms lol

id say plugs are more of a use once and throw away kind of thing

and iridiums hav many fans with lots of dyno poven results
if i were u id stick to the ngk's nothing wrong with them and there common so that makes them cheap

crx_boy7
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Get the slightly higher octance fuel and you'll hardly notice any difference at all, if any.

yea but all the little inceases u cant really feal can add up to a major improvement in power as well as engine dinamics, throttle rsponse,ect

JasonGilholme
09-05-2007, 05:07 PM
You gotta be making ALOT of modifications to find any difference between higher octane fuel and spark plugs.

You're right though. All the little things count, but plugs and octane would be the last thing on the list for a street driven/ocassional track car.

ALN
10-05-2007, 02:06 AM
do u have aftermarket lead as well? or just the plug changed?

I have the TM.Works leads as well, the super spec.

mastcell
10-05-2007, 05:05 AM
You might want to save this chart from NGK for future reference:

The OEM plugs are actually iridium.

The key codes state that the OEM plug is:
I - Iridium Platimum Type
Z - Extended gap? Whatever that means...
F - Metal Shell size of ø 14, 19mm (3/4”) Reach, 16mm (5/8”) Hex
R - Resistor construction
6 - Heat range (colder)
K - Firing End construction with 2-Ground electrodes
11 - Gap width in mm

Seems pretty good quality plug to me, now why would you want to change it?

tony1234
10-05-2007, 07:28 AM
You might want to save this chart from NGK for future reference:

The OEM plugs are actually iridium.

The key codes state that the OEM plug is:
I - Iridium Platimum Type
Z - Extended gap? Whatever that means...
F - Metal Shell size of ø 14, 19mm (3/4”) Reach, 16mm (5/8”) Hex
R - Resistor construction
6 - Heat range (colder)
K - Firing End construction with 2-Ground electrodes
11 - Gap width in mm

Seems pretty good quality plug to me, now why would you want to change it?
I was thinking the same thing.I thought platinum/iridium plugs were as good as it gets!!

TypeG
10-05-2007, 01:18 PM
no point to change it at all
better spend yr cash on some other things

ALN
10-05-2007, 02:19 PM
On minor modded performance car without ecu tuning the benefit would be very minimal.

EuroAccord13
11-05-2007, 12:32 AM
On minor modded performance car without ecu tuning the benefit would be very minimal.

True to that...

mastcell
11-05-2007, 02:43 AM

Euphemism for 'Zero Improvement'.

BusterSonic12
11-05-2007, 08:15 AM
fine fine.. i ll leave it for now.

BigBen
31-12-2014, 04:16 PM
When should the factory spark plugs for a CU2 be changed? I can't find any mentioned of this in the service schedule. I've just reached 70k km and just completed an oil and filter change, transmission flush (12 litres) and brake fluid flush. I have about 40% of brake pads left on the fronts pads and the rears looks brand new.

I usually do plugs at 100k for platinum or Iridium plugs.

BigBen
31-12-2014, 07:26 PM
correction, just recheck the book again and its at 100k km when the plugs are to be changed.