PDA

View Full Version : Civic wont go, noise coming from possibly gearbox area

kerim
09-05-2007, 06:10 PM
i was driving my car today, and went to chirp it into second then, there was aloud noise, bang, then the car wouldnt go. When in gear it makes like whirling noise, it wants to go but somehtings hlolding it back. Could i have blown my gearbox, or can it be something else like the linkages or something?

creativepunka
09-05-2007, 06:17 PM
id say clutch or a cv. Check that a cv hasnt just popped out.

aznpsuazn
09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Say goodbye to your clutch and hello to a new one. Stop chirping your gears too

JohnnyVtec
09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
HAHA, i had something simular happen to me at the track just the other day!

Here's a test for you: go out to your car and start it up and let it idle all throughout this process, put it in first gear and let out the clutch. (Watch the speedometer) might bounce slightly. then Put it into 5th gear and let out the clutch, if your speedometer moves up to 20 kph or so, but the car goes nowhere. It's not your transmission, but part of your driveshaft/axle. don't know specific's until you get under the car to have a closer look.

Hope this helps, :thumbsup:

kerim
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
i just went out and had another look at it, when i let the clutch out slowly, you know how the car usually starts to go slowly when u do this without giving it some gas, it makes a whirling noise, so im assuming the clutch/gearbox is still ok, but posibbly a shaft or cv joint as said by creativepunka and JohnnyVtec

kerim
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM

if it has poped out is it easy to put back oi or does it have to be replaced

Drew
09-05-2007, 06:35 PM
lol Kerim

Is that the orange thing you rocked up in today?

Could be anything really... might be the shafts or the gearbox or cv's
Really need to chuck it up to see whats blown

kerim
09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
lol Kerim

Is that the orange thing you rocked up in today?

Could be anything really... might be the shafts or the gearbox or cv's
Really need to chuck it up to see whats blown

haha, yeah man it is, looks like im gonna have to postpone coming to your joint for the rwc

Drew
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
If it's drivable and not far pop over and I'll have a look at what you blew up lol

Silly lad

aznpsuazn
10-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Kidding right? CV popped out? Take it to the mechanic so he can tell you your clutch is gone. CVs dont just pop out. this isnt a lego car.

creativepunka
10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Kidding right? CV popped out? Take it to the mechanic so he can tell you your clutch is gone. CVs dont just pop out. this isnt a lego car.

At least you got one thing right, this isnt a lego car. iv seen an EG do it before, if someone has done cv boots on it before and rooted the circlip there is a good chance it could "just pop out". Holden had a recall on there cruizes last year for cvs falling out, you had to replace the inner cv circlip. now that a lego car.
But my money would be on the clutch.

bennjamin
10-05-2007, 08:31 AM
At least you got one thing right, this isnt a lego car. iv seen an EG do it before, if someone has done cv boots on it before and rooted the circlip there is a good chance it could "just pop out". Holden had a recall on there cruizes last year for cvs falling out, you had to replace the inner cv circlip. now that a lego car.
But my money would be on the clutch.

but this is a honda and ive never heard of a CV popping out. Its nigh on impossible - BTW you guys refer to the inner universal joint (that connects to the gearbox) and not the actual CV joint which connects to the hub yeah ? Once thats "clicked" in , it wont budge. If it was loose to begin with , it would of leaked MTF out and made alot of grindy noises from the start.

Check your CLUTCH FLUID master cylinder (located on firewall) to see if its leaking or empty. Might be the problem...
but id think clutch pressure plate is gone. Get around $600 out of your ass and pay up to change it.

creativepunka
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Its nigh on impossible - BTW you guys refer to the inner universal joint Once thats "clicked" in , it wont budge. If it was loose to begin with , it would of leaked MTF out and made alot of grindy noises from the start.

Check your CLUTCH FLUID master cylinder (located on firewall) to see if its leaking or empty. Might be the problem...
but id think clutch pressure plate is gone. Get around $600 out of your ass and pay up to change it.

Yep i was refering to the inner uni. I physically saw one pop out, 94 eg civic. if the circlip is excessivly stretched then they can just slide off the shaft. iv also heard of some one not "clicking it in properly" and the shaft slid out on the first 1km. It wouldnt have enough time to leak mtf, as soon as a circlip let go it wouldnt take long for the shaft to slide out.
How would empty/leaking clutch fluid cause no drive?? he said he could get it in gear but had no dirve.

kerim
10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
ey guys, the problem is the cv joint and where it conencts to the hub, it has worn out and no longer grips, so all should be good once changed

thansk to Drew for heloing out

|N|
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
but this is a honda and ive never heard of a CV popping out. Its nigh on impossible -

chan .. its not impossible... um... haven u heard?

Drew
10-05-2007, 06:19 PM
ey guys, the problem is the cv joint and where it conencts to the hub, it has worn out and no longer grips, so all should be good once changed

thansk to Drew for heloing out

The teeth rusted away and obviously dumping the clutch just cleaned em out

Sketchy how the hubs were welded and re drilled...

Really worthwhile looking into getting some proper 5 stud hubs dude

|N|
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
The teeth rusted away and obviously dumping the clutch just cleaned em out

Sketchy how the hubs were welded and re drilled...

Really worthwhile looking into getting some proper 5 stud hubs dude

so when u give throttle... does that mean it doesnt grip and sorta give a grinding noise?

kerim
10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
yeah man, exactly like that just spins without spinning the wheel
you have the same problem?

Drew
10-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah...

Since he doesn't have an LSD all the power just goes to that wheel as the shaft is basically free spinning in the hub

creativepunka
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I guess thats better than the clutch. A cheaper way out lol.

xtc_romeo
10-05-2007, 08:10 PM
clutch is gone get an exedy heavy duty organic clutch^^

Drew
10-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Learn to read

bennjamin
10-05-2007, 08:27 PM
since its been grinding away....i hope ur inner splines are OK ( the diff housing)

Drew
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Should be ok I would imagine it was just grinding from the hub

|N|
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
mine does the same.. but only when i turn left and full throttle

Drew
10-05-2007, 09:33 PM
It's rather different yours will probably be more a clicking

In whichever case your CV joint needs to be replaced

|N|
10-05-2007, 09:36 PM
It's rather different yours will probably be more a clicking

In whichever case your CV joint needs to be replaced

thts wat i was thinking.. but i haven had time to check yet

but shall do that this weekend?

would u recommand anything for me to look for?

aznpsuazn
10-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I stand corrected!

Drew
11-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Fixed... Put on a new CV joint, and Kerim provided a swap over hub

|N| You just need a new CV joint, or better yet a change over drive shaft from someone like A&F Driveshafts but they are in Melbourne not Sydney... Much easier if you don't know what you are doing

xtc_romeo
20-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Learn to read

mate just helping u out dont cry. ur synchromes are buckled,.

kerim
20-06-2007, 01:07 PM

buddy this was sorted out ages ago, as DREW stated, above your post, the cv joints were gone, all fixed now

Drew
20-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Your face is buckled