PDA

View Full Version : LOUD Exhaust

sze5
03-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi guys. Installed a fujitsubo power getter RS with a high flow cat today. TOO LOUD for my partner and family :(

I was thinking of getting a silencer, will a silencer reduce the alot of sound from the muffler? How much will a 4" silencer cost?

If i would to replace the high flow cat with the stock cat, will that reduce the sound from the muffler as well?

What else can i do to reduce the dB?

Many thanks.

EG_2_TEG
03-07-2004, 12:28 AM
a silencer should do the trick
i think the cost around the $100 mark

not too sure if changing back to a stock cat will make much difference

cheers

one more chance
03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
silencer, resonators, small cat will all do the trick...
resonator has always been the more popular and effective choice...

joneblaze
03-07-2004, 04:46 AM
If you revert to stock cat and use a silencer btw, you'll basically receive alot lower gains from your Fujitsubo right? Fair bit of cash to shell out for just a nice exhaust note..... *ergh*
Good luck quietening it down mate.

Tofu
03-07-2004, 08:15 AM
um...the power getter is meant to be of the of quiet exhuasts
but anyway, i use to run a silencer in my 5zigen and it was almost as quiet as stock..but it reduced the power (you can feel it)
but having to remove the silencer in and out is a real pain in the ass!..
good luck

Kit
03-07-2004, 08:44 AM
yeah, thats interesting, the Fuji's are usually the quiet exhausts. The power getter rs is louder than the Rm01A though.

Is it stainless or mild steel? cos all the new ones are stainless and i *believe* are actually quieter than the old mild steel ones, as the old ones came with a removable silencer where the new stainless steel ones didnt.

Chris

SiR
03-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Geez, that's gonna make me think twice about getting the Fuji!

Hope everything turns out alright :)

Kit
03-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Fuji. They are probably one of the best Jap exhausts out there.

SiR
03-07-2004, 09:25 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Fuji. They are probably one of the best Jap exhausts out there.

Yeah, there's absolutely no doubt that they're top stuff.

It's just that I'm not a fan of loud exhausts - don't like the attention from cops etc.

SPEEDCORE
03-07-2004, 10:08 AM
I don't see the point in buying an exhaust if you are going to drive around with the silencer on. The power with our full Miracle fireball and 5 zigen headers and the silencer put in goes back to about standard......

Needless to say the silencer has only been put on once for 2 days and has never gone back on.............. orders from the missus too!! :o

A'PEXi
03-07-2004, 11:51 AM
would changing the front pipe/cat affect the noise much?....

sze5
03-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Fuji is not very LOUD, at least for me :D

But since yesterday, when i installed the exhaust, my sis which actually owns 70% of the car had nagged me a QUAD-ZILLION times to change it back to stock :( (There goes my $300 on custom fitting to a coupe)

Since i had already paid for the exhaust and the custom workmanship, i am really hopping to keep it as it look MAD.

Anybody know if i would to put a silencer and replace just the high flow cat to the original cat, will it sound close to the stock at least (But retaining a better exhaust flow comparing to the stock system)? PLEASE HELP ME! :oops:

type one
03-07-2004, 05:06 PM
cat won't do much for the sound sorry to burst your bubble... if you want stock sound then you need stock muffler :(

maybe put another sausage dog resonator in the piping after the cat... but you may as well take it out if you're going to do that.

SiR
03-07-2004, 05:51 PM

But since yesterday, when i installed the exhaust, my sis which actually owns 70% of the car had nagged me a QUAD-ZILLION times to change it back to stock :( (There goes my $300 on custom fitting to a coupe)

Since i had already paid for the exhaust and the custom workmanship, i am really hopping to keep it as it look MAD.

You need fitting for the Fuji on the coupe? I thought it was a direct bolt on?

sze5
03-07-2004, 05:56 PM

You need fitting for the Fuji on the coupe? I thought it was a direct bolt on?

I bought it from a guy with a EK hatch.

Custom fitted the FUJI to fit the coupe (tig welded a FOOT+ long of stainless steel) took the mechanic benny from chasers 3+ hours :oops:

Kit
04-07-2004, 01:32 AM
would changing the front pipe/cat affect the noise much?....

hmmm, theres no front pipe in an NA car dude.

type one
04-07-2004, 11:31 AM
technically if you have only top end of exhaust manifold... then bottom pipe can be thought of the be a front pipe :)

but not many manufacturers of aftermarket exctractors do this - though spoon comes to mind and Ausdm type R exctractors.

EG_2_TEG
04-07-2004, 05:35 PM
i reckon get a silencer
use it when your sis takes the car out, then rip it out when u take it;)

Jus-10
05-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Just go to your local exhaust shop and see if they have any silencers. Just get one that matches the size of your tip, and you'll be fine.

But I feel your pain and anguish. The silencer will ruin any gains obtianed from the exhaust. You WILL feel it.

VTEChnique
05-07-2004, 12:43 PM
contact X-Force in Australia..

I think they had a 4" silencer for $60.. not 100% sure if it will fit though..

snowman95
05-07-2004, 01:01 PM
just detach the cat from the header, let her drive around for a week, then reattach it and say that you put the stock one back on....its all relative....

LatinoHatchCrap
07-07-2004, 04:57 PM
just detach the cat from the header, let her drive around for a week, then reattach it and say that you put the stock one back on....its all relative....
:D