PDA

View Full Version : changed sparkies, less go?

quang
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
hi guys just a quick one, ok so i've just done a service on the car, and whilst doing it changed fuel filter with it but not the sparkies. went for a drive and response and accel were better. then a day later i did the sparkies changing from iridiums to copper ones that were listed in the book bkr6e-n-11 i think re-gapped them, reset the ecu and now my car feels a bit sluggish compared to before i changed them. shouldn't it be the same or atleast a bit better? any opinions?

thanks

oh yeah does anyone know if the mechanics at honda check the seals on the head when they do a 60 point inspection including valve clearance check?

ekhybrid
11-05-2007, 11:42 AM
wat do u mean u think u re-gapped them?
that plug should have the correct gap already out of the package which is 1.1

aaronng
11-05-2007, 11:49 AM
How many kms did you have on your iridiums? Were they in bad condition?

quang
11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
sorry i did re-gap them, to 1.1, some of them were off. the iridiums had atleast 65000kms they were in my car when i got it and i haven't changed them since, the condition of them? well each tip was still ok, but the rest of the plug didn't look too promising. i figured it'd be good to change them anyway. but even if they were still in old but ok condition, changing to new plugs shouldn't have a drop in performance. unless i screwed up somewhere.

aaronng
11-05-2007, 02:40 PM
sorry i did re-gap them, to 1.1, some of them were off. the iridiums had atleast 65000kms they were in my car when i got it and i haven't changed them since, the condition of them? well each tip was still ok, but the rest of the plug didn't look too promising. i figured it'd be good to change them anyway. but even if they were still in old but ok condition, changing to new plugs shouldn't have a drop in performance. unless i screwed up somewhere.

Iridiums are good for 100,000km. With regards to the rest of the plug, was the ceramic sleeve insulator cracked? Iridiums have a narrower tip, so the spark that is produced is a little stronger than copper plugs. Keep your iridiums, they can still serve as backup plugs for at least another 35000km. :)

quang
11-05-2007, 09:11 PM
no they are not cracked, but they do have burn marks on them a fair way up the plug. when i say at least 65000kms, its mostly likely more as they were in the car when i got them and i don't know then they were put in. so i'm guessing since the copper ones don't spark as big as the iridiums that could be the reason why it feels different.

muhhan
11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Copper plugs are really a step back from the iridiums so it is reasonable that the car would feel 'different'. Perhaps recheck the gap on the copper plugs, make sure they are done up properly, and that the leads are connected properly.