PDA

View Full Version : EM1 Throttle noise

Yasakani
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi there everyone.

I've noticed that when I press down the accelerator pedal a certain amount, there would be a noise, sorta like a chirping sound.
The noise comes up when I press it down - usually about the amount when I want to stay at a constant speed of about 80km/h in 5th. So that's about no more than 1.5 inches (not really sure).
This is when I am just pressing accelerator and nothing else.
Sound seems more like an electronic sound than a mechanical one... it's quite high pitched. I asked my old man to take a look since he's the mechanic of the family, but I think he's too old to hear that frequency :confused: .

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? What is it?
Cheers.

ekhybrid
11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
are u using a pod?
if its like a whistle? thats normal

patto
11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Dunno how relevant this is but I have had a whistle that is affected by the accelarator. It happened after I installed a big stereo in two of my previous civics. As far as I remember it was some sort of electrical interference or something. Everytime I pressed the accelarator the whining noise would increase. Got a little box installed that stopped it, thank god! So if you just installed stereo gear this is probably whats happening or your car's electricals could be playing up? Otherwise I got idea. Hope this helps......

Yasakani
11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
are u using a pod?
if its like a whistle? thats normal

is a pod an air intake/filter?
coz I have this K/N one that the previous owner installed.

bennjamin
11-05-2007, 07:16 PM
pretty much all hondas seem to have this noise with a aftermarket pod or CAI etc installed.
This is why honda engineers use resonators to cut out this induction noise.
Its annoying , yes:)

Yasakani
16-08-2007, 11:37 AM
But why is the sound only heard when the throttle is at a particular position?
I'm worried that it might be something to do with the wheels or brakes scraping.

technify
16-08-2007, 03:25 PM
When hitting down on throttle, air being sucked into the filter.

let's say, when ur throttle, ur intake is like a vacuum, sucking in.

if your just idling , aint gonna happen.

so whats why the whistle sounds appears.

hm my 2cents in. LOL

shinji112
16-08-2007, 03:45 PM
yeah i got the same sound.. i dont mind it so much!

bennjamin
16-08-2007, 03:45 PM
But why is the sound only heard when the throttle is at a particular position?
I'm worried that it might be something to do with the wheels or brakes scraping.

it happens at a certain RPM and throttle application due to RESONANCE.
Its normal ( my car does it and it sounds UGLY i know)

kn1ghtm4r3
16-08-2007, 04:39 PM
i dunno i dont mind that sound =) the whistle is a cool sound just keep tapping the accelerator lolol

BlitZ
16-08-2007, 04:42 PM
mine was fine on OEM intake.. u got zorst?

Yasakani
16-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I bought the car second hand,
But its all stock besides the air filter... a k&n one that doesn't look like others I have seen... sorta like a hemi-sphere in shape, and yellow spongy look to it.

Yasakani
16-08-2007, 06:26 PM
re: technify & bennjamin

I don't think it does that when I press the throttle the same amount when I am in neutral though (not too sure about this, probably check tmw or something).... that is why I'm a bit worried.

bennjamin
16-08-2007, 10:27 PM
re: technify & bennjamin

I don't think it does that when I press the throttle the same amount when I am in neutral though (not too sure about this, probably check tmw or something).... that is why I'm a bit worried.

Yes , same with my car. This is because there is no load on the engine ( its not pulling the weight of the car plus wind resistance) and it will not resonate the same compared to the car in motion.

cvicek
18-08-2007, 03:11 AM
i have the same problem ...

when i put my foot down on the accelerator, the noise will appear...

but normal driving is fine. ...

i have stock air filter

this only happen after i have my full service with honda...

anyone have any idea?

zco
18-08-2007, 08:04 AM
just tell your friends you have a BOV on your vtec car.. they'll believe you

clem
18-08-2007, 09:17 AM
This is when I am just pressing accelerator and nothing else.
Sound seems more like an electronic sound than a mechanical one... it's quite high pitched. I asked my old man to take a look since he's the mechanic of the family, but I think he's too old to hear that frequency :confused: .

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? What is it?
Cheers.

Usually this sound comes from interference from the wiring of your audio components. Have someone double check that this noise is NOT coming from each individual speaker while you accelerate. Also turn off your head unit when you accelerate to see if it is the speakers. My friend recently installed his amplifier and speakers to the stock head unit and when he accelerated it had a high pitch whirring noise like turbo spooling up :). He fixed it by relocating some of the wires trial and error. If this isn't the problem, is the sound coming from inside or outside the car? If u're certain that its your intake, then try to box it or put a wrap on it. Hope this helps.

clem
18-08-2007, 09:19 AM
i have the same problem ...

when i put my foot down on the accelerator, the noise will appear...

but normal driving is fine. ...

i have stock air filter

this only happen after i have my full service with honda...

anyone have any idea?

Again, check that your radio is turned off, stock air filter shouldnt make any noise. Bring it back to honda to complain that it occurred after the service.

cvicek
18-08-2007, 09:44 AM
i checked

Once i heard the noise, i turn off my stereo

but the noise still coming out when i press hard on the pedal,
but when i drive like a old woman.. the noise does not show up.

Yasakani
18-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Usually this sound comes from interference from the wiring of your audio components. Have someone double check that this noise is NOT coming from each individual speaker while you accelerate. Also turn off your head unit when you accelerate to see if it is the speakers........

I'm certain it's not the speakers, since I drove around with the sound system turned off the first few weeks I got the car (as I needed to hear the engine because I was new to driving a manual transmission).

I reckon Bennjamin is right in saying it's the intake, as it sorta makes the most sense right now. :)

The noise itself doesn't really bother me, it's just that I'm not sure if it might be something that is doing harm to my car, and I don't want it to be too late and be costly to fix.

I think my problem might be a little different to cvicek, as the sound comes on when I press the accelerator lightly (e.g. when I want to keep a constant speed).

Thanks to all that replied. :thumbsup: