PDA

View Full Version : cam or cam gear selection

Ek_Civic
03-07-2004, 10:11 AM
hey i was just wondering what would be the next round of mods for my ek civic hatch...... its a d16y sohc non vtec..... i have k&n pannel filter with intake to the front bar..... and 2 1/4 zorst system on it..... what can i do to it to squeeze abit more power from it...?????? what are your suggestions...????
should i make it into a sohc vtec or what should i do?????? thankyou all post will be helpful

Weq
03-07-2004, 06:23 PM
yep. grab a head assembaly (inc intake manifold) from a y8 or y1, and slap that on ur y4. The vtec head will not only give u better flow + a better cam, u wil get increased compression and better throttle response from the manifold.
The grab a y8 or 1 transmission, a ,lightened flywheel (~8lbs (act or findeza)) and ur baby will be a mean little revver.

wynode
03-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Don't forget wiring and an ECU........AFAIK the non-VTEC ECU won't be able to activate VTEC

Weq
03-07-2004, 08:23 PM
yeap, wforgot that..
either go ghetto with a vtec switch, vafc or hondata.

Ek_Civic
03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
hey guys thanks for the suggestions but i realy wanna keep it the ways it is and just improve what i have got because it goes pretty good for what it is and iam just looking for that little bit more go in all round performance.....

say if i did the lightend flywheel,heavy duty clutch, throttle body shaved a few mils, extractors, high flow cat, and chrome air pipe from box to manifold. and a computer upgrade.... would this add a substainsual amount of power??? and at what sort of cost?????? do i have to upgrade injectors and fuel pump at the same time?? its just that there isnt any good places where i live for performance product sales, so help is need for parts and the best parts for my needs... thankyou

joneblaze
04-07-2004, 01:34 AM
You're best to PM someone like DynoDave on the forums to ask what sort of gains a (tuned) package like that would net you. There are less than a handful of us on OH that have actually seen a setup like that through, and most advice you would get would be "internet talk" or regurgitation. If you're quite serious about improving your Vti to that extent, and are prepared to part with the cash, speak to someone like DynoDave (if in Sydney), James (BLKCRX) or Razztech (if you are in Melb). Either way, I'm sure any of these guys would be more than happy to part with some realistic advice and info for you to work off.

Good luck.

Btw, why does it have to be a chrome air pipe? ;) J/k...

Weq
04-07-2004, 12:41 PM
just google "mini-me vtec" u will get all the real world advice u need. remmber, the d-series was a big thing in he US cause they lacked a b16 presence in the civic for a long time.

Ur best bet is to find a sohc vtec engine+gearbox. It shouldnt cost u more then 700 all up. The power will cost u alot less then a 'tb shave' and 'chrome airfilter'. The best headers + full exhaust around will only give u 10-15hp atw over stock! and these cost more then $1000. with the above setup, u could easily drop over a second down the 1/4.