PDA

View Full Version : CVT transmission...good or not?

jay-bee'z
12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
just a question about CVT auto's (96> EK Vti sedan model)...ive done some research and basically get the idea of how they work...but how do they drive, anybody know? anybody had any experiences with them. Basically i need to know is it better than a standard auto gearbox, and more importantly is it faster or slower etc..

weezer
12-10-2003, 02:46 PM
a friend of mine has CVT in his Nissan Micra. It sounds and feels weird as it doenst have any gears. What CVT does is that it puts the revs at the most effective point in the rev range. e.g. if u want to go quick it would rev at peak power and stay there and not move (sorta sounds like a slipping clutch hehe). If you're just cruising it'll stay at the rev range where its most fuel efficient.

It is definately quicker than auto, but slower than manual. The thing that im worried about the most with CVT is the strength. Im not too sure how strong a box is, that uses a belt and cone :lol:

also does anyone know how it'll affect turbos?? if it keeps in the max power rev range. Wont the turbos just stay on boost, till u back off the throttle??

mo
12-10-2003, 03:31 PM
damn staying in high rev range is definitely something i need in my auto box :lol:

Weq
12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
That sound wierd, doesnt seem to healthy for the engine imo. Anyone got a vid or something or it in action?

VTi-RT
13-10-2003, 07:34 PM
CVT is the way of the future for Auto's. It's better explained as a single variable gear.