PDA

View Full Version : Should i stay with my D16y8 or go with ?

hondavti25
14-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey latley been lookin around and i been thinking would it be worth swaping my SOHC Vtec out for DOHC or just spendin the same kinda money on a turbo kit and that and havin a mean SOHC? any one wanna shed some light on what i could do.. i have a d16y8 coupe

dc2dc2dc2
14-05-2007, 02:01 PM
turbo ! best bang for buck :)

tRipitaka
14-05-2007, 02:38 PM
spend the money on a turbo kit..
cos if you blow the sohc.. they're cheap to replace..

plus you get more power for your money..

Benson
14-05-2007, 04:18 PM
All depends on what you like mate.

Yes turbo are the best for bucks mods, but are they reliable in the long run. Do you want more power in the future?

On the other hand, if you go to a DOHC like a B16, or B18 they are reliable day in day out. No need for turbo time and cool downs. Drive it as is, thrash it and you dont have to think about something going POP.

Personally, i have driven turbo vtec, SOHC turbo VTEC, and N/A B18c's. Overall i must say N/A is still the best way to go. Not being biased or anything but overall N/A better suits my application and the purpose of the car( i/e Daily driving)

intacivic16v
14-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Personally i would go for N/A, but i am biased because that keeps me in a better racing class at the hill climbs. I believe that N/A gives you a smoother power curve. However bang for buck turbo is the go, just be careful of over heating, make sure you improve the cooling system of your car.

A year or so ago i went on a honda cruise on the gold coast, and the only two cars that over heated were two turboed eg's.

hondavti25
14-05-2007, 07:13 PM
soooo custom radiaor CAI a fat front mount oil cooler.. and shit

intacivic16v
14-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah thats the sort of thing that i would be looking into if it was me, I'm not to sure what sort of radiator that my mates turboed eg has got.. but he definately has a decent front mount, and oil cooler

hondavti25
14-05-2007, 07:21 PM
would you happen to know how much or what kit i could use coz i wouldnt mind startin to save for it now but it be good to have a goal the car is stock appart from a pod hahaha and the exhuast that goes in this week....

intacivic16v
14-05-2007, 07:26 PM
I've recently put a b16a in my 1988 CRX, as well as a micro-tec, and the thing is unbreakable, I took it to willowbank and it ended up doing a 14.8 on street tyres, i rev it to 8,500 rpm every time i drive it... Its quick enough and it so very very reliable..

[ricer]
14-05-2007, 07:28 PM
avo turbo kit
search on the avo site
i think it was around 3800 from memory

then u need to buy a fuel pump
injectors and a ECU and get it all tuned

im pretty sure u'll spend more on the turbo kit and making it reliable then chucking a b16 or even a b18 in ur coupe

intacivic16v
14-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah a mate of mine keeps showing me the slowboyracing web site from the USA, they have got heaps and heaps of turbo kits, i try not to look at them because its to tempting hehe

i think its just www.slowboyracing.com

Sexc86
14-05-2007, 07:46 PM
boost the d16y8, with a basic bolt on kit, good management and tune.. it will perform way better then a b16/b18 or h22 in your car...

and yes can be just as reliable and will last.... how do i know.. running a d15b7 turbo with the most basic turbo setup +good engine management.... shes still going strong after 3 years + perfect compression!

hondavti25
14-05-2007, 07:48 PM
thats all good thanks but i still kinda am a lil clue less on what i need exactly like i have basic knowledge on parts and shit maybe a lil more direction

Sexc86
14-05-2007, 07:55 PM
this is such a classic argument..... "boost the d or swap a dohc vtec" .... man please do a search there are SO many topic on this but in short...

your basic turbo setup here are you MUST GETS

Turbo (with internal wastegate)
manifold
dump pipe
Fmic
Bov
Fuel pump
Riseing rate Fuel pressure regulator or Larger injectors
Engine management (preferably standalone)
plumbing (intercooler pipework and exhaust work)
tuneing

Sexc86
14-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Personally i would go for N/A, but i am biased because that keeps me in a better racing class at the hill climbs. I believe that N/A gives you a smoother power curve. However bang for buck turbo is the go, just be careful of over heating, make sure you improve the cooling system of your car.

A year or so ago i went on a honda cruise on the gold coast, and the only two cars that over heated were two turboed eg's.

i was on that cruise and at the time i had my standard radiator and a 2inch think tube and fin cooler... running 10psi

never overheated

hondavti25
14-05-2007, 08:09 PM
what kit are you using and how much $$$ and power this has me interested ....

Sexc86
15-05-2007, 12:22 AM
custom pieced my kit together, usually avo or greddy have good bolt on kits

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 09:26 AM
thanks for the help sorry to be a pain but could you suggest some NA mods that arent over the top expensive to put in while i save for the turbo kit.... i plan to have the turbo this time next year maybe even be4! so yeah anything that could really add to the turbo in the way of NA like injectors and shit?

Sexc86
15-05-2007, 10:04 AM
something that you can use for n/a and turbo would be things like injectors, fuel pump etc

lil_miss_vtec
15-05-2007, 10:16 AM
just get a B16a!!!! :)

Zdster
15-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Where are you located? I would get some local members who have both done a swap and turboed setup.

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 11:03 AM
i have aza to help me his what i am going on his got a d16y8 turboed and i cant wait to see it tuned so ill be stayin with the d16 and probs do it up... and also how well does the skunk2 intake manifold go?

Sexc86
15-05-2007, 11:56 AM
end of day mate if your on a budget and you want a turbo setup, dont waste your money on things you dont need.... eg getting a intake manifold and they paying to have it installed

save up and purcahse all the base essentials first and then have them installed, plumbing fabricated and tuned all in one go...

you will spend the same if not more on a b16 conversion and get less power

[ricer]
15-05-2007, 12:11 PM
you will spend more on a turbo set up

yes you will make more power with a turbo next to a stock b16a but no way as reliable as a N/A motor with spending the same amount of money...
at least you know with a b16/b18 you can drive it to red line quite often as the motor is designed to handle the high RPM and not be worried about it too much...
if your going to always be a granny driver with the occasional squirt then i guess turbo is fine for you.

have a look at Bensons/Jimmys N/a b18c7 running 13.6 constanly with the simplest of mods. intake, header, exhaust and a good tune. im sure for a turbo D to run that time you will have to spend shit loads more money unless you want to do it once before your motor or even gear box blows...

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 12:30 PM
yeah i plan to also buy a b16a some where down the track but thats a next car thing though i love my car and how it is and ill just up grade my internals if i have to to make it more reliable i been red linin my stock d16y8 and its still fine runs beautifully although the service this week should confirm hahaha but yeah thanks for the help sexc86 so you think save up

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 12:35 PM
o and just quickly i am getting an S100 .... how much of improvment would that be tuned and or untuned?

barefootbonzai
15-05-2007, 12:41 PM
i've been through the turbo stage, and a couple of NA setups. My choice would definitely be NA. Just swap in a b-series engine and work from that.

A basic D-series turbo kit with 8psi, would make your car about as fast as a B16 with basic mods. But the b16 would be less headaches and you can thrash it all day long without worrying. Just ask your mate aza how many headaches his had already.

I've got a B16 setup for your car if you're interested, right here in brisbane.

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 01:00 PM
how much for?

xtercii
15-05-2007, 01:05 PM
i was on that cruise and at the time i had my standard radiator and a 2inch think tube and fin cooler... running 10psi

never overheated

He never said yours or every turbo honda will overheat, he was merely pointing out the fact that turbo hondas are more likely to overheat judging on what happened during the cruise.

barefootbonzai
15-05-2007, 01:11 PM
how much for?

it's in my signature :)

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 01:15 PM
thanks um lets say id rather spend 3 grand towards the turbo D coz lets face it why throw away a perfectly good D series VTEC for somethin that will be easier lol if we did it the easy way all the time life wouldnt be so interesting .... my car only has 60,000 on it just.... so if i did that up once its done and running bought a DD ek with a b16/18 in it i reacon id be pritty happy with that.... i think i have chosen to deffs stay with my D ive seen them pull some nice numbers so i dont mind and if i do it right it could be mean...:) thanks for the offers but ill deff look into a B down the road or one of them new K20s... lol but now i gota decide on shit like cooling systems and finding stuff that is able to go in my car

Sexc86
15-05-2007, 01:36 PM
;1170147']you will spend more on a turbo set up

yes you will make more power with a turbo next to a stock b16a but no way as reliable as a N/A motor with spending the same amount of money...
at least you know with a b16/b18 you can drive it to red line quite often as the motor is designed to handle the high RPM and not be worried about it too much...
if your going to always be a granny driver with the occasional squirt then i guess turbo is fine for you.

have a look at Bensons/Jimmys N/a b18c7 running 13.6 constanly with the simplest of mods. intake, header, exhaust and a good tune. im sure for a turbo D to run that time you will have to spend shit loads more money unless you want to do it once before your motor or even gear box blows...

we arnt talking about a b18c we are talking about a b16, no way a basic b16 could get you into the 13s... if you wanted to spend the equal money on a dseries turbo as a b18c7 conversion it would be going faster then 13.6 imo

i also believe you can drive a turbo d just as you would drive a b16 provided you look after it and get a good tune

Waggy
15-05-2007, 01:44 PM
This:

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_717_756_927&products_id=1504&osCsid=e3adcb94f91c0a5df63996f593a0daf7

Sexc86
15-05-2007, 02:27 PM
on a side note, depending on what sort of power you like... any dohc vtec you will be able to rev alot higher.... bseries i think around 8.5 hseries i think around 8.... basicaly because all there power is made up top... with our d's there is no way we will be able to hit revs like this but all our power is made low so isnt really needed.....

also with dohc vtec you get that typical nice n/a dohc vtec roar vs your turbo spools, flutters and bov's

not sure if that will influence your decision

hondavti25
15-05-2007, 02:43 PM
thanks man well a bit about my car.... my car when i bought it had 57,000 ks on it was in spot less nick it dives beautifully its been serviced every 5,000 with out fail so i know this car is in good nick so why swap it out didnt really think about it and yeah i mean if i can get a good amount of power out of it with out getting a new engine i am happy and if i feel the need to get more ill buy a hole new car down the track and do the hole engine swap thing ... i am seeing aza's car tonight so that will truly tell me what i want and after its tuned and i see some numbers ill just either do what he did or go down another rd which i am sure ill ask you guys about

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 07:28 PM
my mate that over heated his car on the cruise was running a fair amount of boost at the time and only really tuned for power. Before that the car was only running small boost on a standard b16a and thing was perfect he never had a problem with it, and he used to flog the crap out of it every day. Yeah it did heat up more than when it was N/A, but thats to be expected with all that extra heat from the turbo.

Sexc86
17-05-2007, 07:01 AM
wasnt that the white eg hatch? urb04? last time i checked he was running mid 12's on street tyres and hes on the cover of fast 4s a few months back?

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 09:51 AM
hey sexc any good NA mods you can think for my car to get a lil pace behind me while i save for turbo set up...

gtrmaniac
17-05-2007, 10:48 AM
hey i say go NA man, having turbo might pull more power and better times then a b16 would but why would you wanna run a D series with a turbo and stock internals? my mate is doing a turbo conversion now its not just a bolt on kit like you think it is plenty of things come into play such as when you get the turbo kit might cost you about 3 - 4 k then you have think about tuning 400 - 700 then does the kit come with an ecu thats like another 1k out the window and the car doesnt always run best based off one tune sometimes you need to go for another tune then you'll most likely need a new clutch if you have a standard clutch it aint gonna last to long cause believe me you'll be thrashing the car with the turbo in it you also have to get a turbotimer 100 - 200 boost controller 300 - 500 for a good one and boost gauges which will set u bak around 100 - 200 in the long run its gonnna end up costing you more then just a b16 swap and think about it think way why not turbo a b16? better results that way u get the best of boths worlds

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 11:24 AM
yeah i have a friend who is doing a d16y8 turbo set up now so i got help with it and if i feel the need for more i might as well get my next car as a b series why avoid a lil extra work and shit .... more rewarding plus not many have a SOHC VTEC turbo ... so yeah id rather be different.... but yeah i am aware of the amount of money needed about 5-7 K....

Aza
17-05-2007, 11:50 AM
On the other hand, if you go to a DOHC like a B16, or B18 they are reliable day in day out. No need for turbo time and cool downs. Drive it as is, thrash it and you dont have to think about something going POP

it doesnt matter what engine the turbo is on, it still has to be cooled down. although half the time turbo timing and cool downs arnt really necissary for oil and water cooled turbos. oil and water cooled turbos are designed for people who dont no how to look after a turbo car like older people who drive one and just turn the car off, turbo timing is mainly for oil cooled turbos like mine or for people who are just paranoid.

d series will be reliable as long as it is tuned right and is built to suit. and no im not talking internals, the internals will be fine until u hit around 250hp atw

like i told u, turbo it, for the price u would pay swapping ur engine u would have a mean reliable d.

Aza
17-05-2007, 11:58 AM
hey i say go NA man, having turbo might pull more power and better times then a b16 would but why would you wanna run a D series with a turbo and stock internals?

why not? ps building a SOHC Vtec Turbo myself i think u have kinda over esagerated the budget. mine has around 8000$ under the hood and that included 1000$ in swapping from Y4 to Y8 and mine isnt a kit turbo, was based off an xs power but now has hondata, 550cc injectors, heavy duty clutch, motec map 3 bar sensor, different turbo, guages, turbo timer, short shifter, after market im gasket, hybrid 600x300x76 FMIC, 3" High flow exhuast, not to mention the alloy radiator with the kit. just so long as u research right and u can do the work urself ur fine.

dw mate if u go through with this u no im here to lend a hand ;) like i said urs will be piss easier than mine cuase u dont have to swap engines like i did, urs is just straight bolt on pretty much

Aza
17-05-2007, 12:01 PM
we arnt talking about a b18c we are talking about a b16, no way a basic b16 could get you into the 13s... if you wanted to spend the equal money on a dseries turbo as a b18c7 conversion it would be going faster then 13.6 imo

i also believe you can drive a turbo d just as you would drive a b16 provided you look after it and get a good tune

wat he said, the only way u would get times like that is if u stripped the mofo down to nothing and did mods to the B16 and i no for a fact chris wants to keep the whole interior.

Aza
17-05-2007, 12:07 PM
just get a B16a!!!! :)

anything else to add to this??? any reasons why he should

haha u no if he did that i would just flog him off every line when we go cruising. would be fun for me

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 12:10 PM
yeah thanks aza.... see its not as hard as some of yas are maken out it will be good now i just have to figure out parts..for the budget

Aza
17-05-2007, 12:14 PM
haha see the link in my sig chris..... click it and research abit on there ;) ask some q's on there

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 12:18 PM
yeah just looked at it youd swear i dont go to school aye .... dont think ill be getting my exhuast this week :( next week for sure though ... but yeah turbo D all the way

gtrmaniac
17-05-2007, 12:23 PM
yeah i have a friend who is doing a d16y8 turbo set up now so i got help with it and if i feel the need for more i might as well get my next car as a b series why avoid a lil extra work and shit .... more rewarding plus not many have a SOHC VTEC turbo ... so yeah id rather be different.... but yeah i am aware of the amount of money needed about 5-7 K....

Fair enough but the b16 conversion that barefootbonzai is offering is only 4000 which is like abit over half the price of the turbo conversion, but if you want to go turbo its all up to you

[ricer]
17-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Do the b16 conversion for 4k
then buy the 2nd hand avo kit for 2.5k

pwoar niceeee....

reason why everyone is like turbo the D is because there is more turbo Ds then Bs so they probably dont know the potential of a turbo b16a

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 12:26 PM
yeah but the thing is ... i have to save up over the next 3/4 of a year .... and pay the car off so id be better of with turbo and buy another car a while down the track...

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE='[ricer];1173566']Do the b16 conversion for 4k

pwoar niceeee....

reason why everyone is like turbo the D is because there is more turbo Ds then Bs so they probably dont know the potential of a turbo b16a[/QUOT

my engine only has 60,000 on it ... why get rid of a perfectly good engine that not many will buy... might as well turbo then get a b another year ....

Aza
17-05-2007, 12:29 PM
;1173566']Do the b16 conversion for 4k

pwoar niceeee....

reason why everyone is like turbo the D is because there is more turbo Ds then Bs so they probably dont know the potential of a turbo b16a

i would like to see the quality of turboing a b for 2500$

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 12:29 PM
i would like to see the quality of turboing a b for 2500$

me to

Sexc86
17-05-2007, 01:03 PM
at the end of the day its not turbo b vs turbo d........
obviously the car with more power stock will perform better with the exact same setup....

however the thred is about turboing is d16y8 vs a dohc vtec conversion (b16 being in his price range)... which high turbo y8 will be better bang for buck

Aza
17-05-2007, 01:09 PM
exactle lyle. u can only go as fast as u can afford and a turboed b isnt in his budget. a turboed d is though ;)

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 02:35 PM
and who knows if i keep workin on it do internals up i could get even more then 250hp which would be awesome ....

Aza
17-05-2007, 02:42 PM
yeah d's have alot of potiential. i think 250hp would be plenty for u though haha

fishman
17-05-2007, 02:42 PM
lmao it's the blind leading the blind.

hondavti25
17-05-2007, 02:43 PM
lol probs maybe 300 if i just want a good number:P 300hp D would be kool lol do it with me aza be awesome the EM and the Ek hahahaha rollin around all i need is a phycadelic colour for my car

Aza
17-05-2007, 02:47 PM

funny that, my car has alot more money spent under the hood then in apperance.

just cuase u have a bright car with chromies dont mean u dont no anything about engines. least i acturlly build mine and dont get a shop to do it (not saying u do)

timster1200
17-05-2007, 07:15 PM
If you go the turbo just wait till the good ol hot Australian days- i had a turbs, but now i gotta b16b and have not once looked back. But in your situation im sure the turbs will yiueld a lot more fun!! - especially if you plan on giving it the ass later, just thrash the fck out of it, have your fun, then go for reliability later

Sexc86
18-05-2007, 09:00 AM

wow the most useless person on ozhonda has made YET ANOTHER USELESS POST!!! Hhahaha.... reported hope you like the bad rep

.... ps oh yeh az.... we know nothing for a few reasons.. because we are white, because we dont own a dohc vtec, because we dont have orange indicators, because we dont have asian writing on our cars, and because we have chrome rims and bright paint....

sounds like someone else is BLIND to me...

Go back through ' fishman ' post history.... all you can see is just bullshit he posts in other peoples threds, a little different to my post history and aza's

hondavti25
18-05-2007, 09:03 AM
If you go the turbo just wait till the good ol hot Australian days- i had a turbs, but now i gotta b16b and have not once looked back. But in your situation im sure the turbs will yiueld a lot more fun!! - especially if you plan on giving it the ass later, just thrash the fck out of it, have your fun, then go for reliability later

yeah good old hot days then why not spend an extra grand on cooling then..... just coz its a D doesnt mean its prown to heat over a B do it right the first time and you wont have the trouble of over heating

Aza
18-05-2007, 09:42 AM
mine has never overheated. im using the same cooling as my old setup. my runs the same temp as a normal civic, even when im boosting.

steve88
18-05-2007, 11:03 AM
i had same dilemma, i picked turboing it. SOHC has more potential with turbo anyway since only one cam has to be driven (from what i heard)

kingkongw24
19-05-2007, 07:41 PM
hey peoplez i gots the same
Car: 98 honda civic VTI coupe

but appart from turbo or engine swop, like what about legal stuff, rego probs and like if coppaz lookin and stuff??

like if u change engine dont u need to some blue slip or somethin? and if turboed anything like that too?

prob cost alot more right? need to take it in to consideration.

im such a nooob at this cos i do everything my self and dont have much space to do it eather.

Im a ricer lol only engine mod gots not even considered, i gots me self a nice filter lol haha, of course decked out sound and lcd and all thos nice electronic stuff.

OHHH MAN cant forget the first thing car seat covers man make car go FAST lol

Sexc86
19-05-2007, 09:23 PM
a blue plate / slip is a enginerrs certificate stamped with the appropraite code... do a search man

steve88
20-05-2007, 03:58 PM
id keep the engine if u got vti-r, engine swaps are only worth it if youre cursed like me with no vtec yo

kingkongw24
20-05-2007, 04:43 PM
98 dont have VTIR, we gots Sohc Vtec.

If i had vtir i wouldent even be thinking about swop out lol cos all u need then is Turbo for sure if u want more power, or maybe SuperCharge.

Not many people in Australia have supercharged Hondas right?

Sexc86
20-05-2007, 04:45 PM
i have seen 1 or 2 s/c kits on hondas but really more support all round for turbo imo from my experience

intacivic16v
21-05-2007, 05:34 PM
wasnt that the white eg hatch? urb04? last time i checked he was running mid 12's on street tyres and hes on the cover of fast 4s a few months back?

Yeah thats the one. Very very nice car

Sexc86
21-05-2007, 05:51 PM
anyone thinking of turbo'ing their d should really just start useing www.d-series.org or www.turbod16.com

90LAN
21-05-2007, 07:10 PM
why dont u drive a b series coupe then drive a d series coupe turbo then make up your own mind?
it doesnt matter what any one tells u at the end of the day its your car and u decide on what u are going to do with it!
i would go the b series any day

rivergod
22-05-2007, 05:23 PM

hehe you believe? hehe its a fact honey. =P

but get a turbo. no ifs or butts. not only will you eat b16s for breakfast, but everytime you change gears, your car will sneeze =o)

hondavti25
22-05-2007, 06:08 PM
hahaha thanks yeah ill be turboing I have decided on my stuff what i wanna get still got to speak to aza about it but... hows this look
CAI (K&N pod)
full exhuast
akmee drivetrain kit (cam rod and springs)
Apexi Neo or hondata
greddy t3 turbo (still not sure about intercooler)
Skunk2 coil overs
and assorted cooling kits (custom radiator, oil cooler)
fuel pump... thats all i got so far

supersamEK
22-05-2007, 07:01 PM
dont waste ur money on an apexi neo..especially if turbo. i have d16y8 and kinda wished i didnt waste my money on it. it did a little of positive but not worth the cash. save that little bit harder and get hondata 4 sho!

hondavti25
22-05-2007, 09:06 PM
yeah hondata is cheaper isnt it S100 is like 200 buks or something

EG5
23-05-2007, 09:10 PM
1st thing that you really should consider , how much budget do you wanna throw for this project , and then you just take it from there .

JDM80Y
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
yeah hondata is cheaper isnt it S100 is like 200 buks or something

Yeah, I think Hondata all the way dude! no messy wiring and piggy back styles..

I think the s100 is around 285 and you also need to factor in boost control, tuning and dyno too!

check out hondata and honda-tech, even spk with ppl like dynodave or toda regarding tuning?

Hope it works well for you though... I'm doing something similar too (D16Y8 + A SNAIL)..

Please keep us updated as your project progresses...

Cheers!