PDA

View Full Version : how much power do hondata usually give

datzlr
15-05-2007, 07:44 AM
hey guys im thinking abts getting an hondata fitted to my vtir dc2 but unsure if i would be happy with the results can anyone show some dyno graphs and what power figures they made and how much of a difference it made ?

Zdster
15-05-2007, 08:52 AM
That is a how long is a piece of string type question. What mods do you have and who is your tuner?

datzlr
15-05-2007, 06:01 PM
so getting hondata is pretty much pointless ??

datzlr
15-05-2007, 06:03 PM
so far ive got

intake
headers
ctr cams
full exhaust

- should i get intake manifold and throttle body than a hondata ?

dyno dave reckons with a hondata i should get close to 120

DLO01
15-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Well I disagree with Dreadangel.

Stock car from factory have conservative tunning. They are not tunned to their optimum from the factory. This gives you the window to extract more from your motor. Gains are not much but there will be a gain.

Again if you have i/h/e your will also gain by having a tunable ecu, as you can tune your individual components to your motor.

Zilli
15-05-2007, 06:08 PM
ive seen posts from reputable people on this site which indicate that you will get certain increases in efficiency from your motor through a tune even if your car is stock.

Honda dials in certain dumb people factors into their closed loop programming to deal with people who use shit fuel, dont service on time, and generally dont take care of there car appropriately. Tuning the car for performance on a specific type of fuel and specific parameters of usage will reap you some extra horses, so ive heard and read. I havent done it myself so im not the best person to answer this, but past posts have made sense

To answer your question on numbers, i have no idea.Hit up someone like Toda they will be able to tell u

DLO01
15-05-2007, 06:13 PM
so far ive got

intake
headers
ctr cams
full exhaust

I would get a hondata or Power Fc in a heartbeat with those mods. :cool:

If you have the dosh, get your intake manifold and throttle body and then get it tunned.

bennjamin
15-05-2007, 06:21 PM
even with a stock or "bolt on mods" engine - a aftermarket ECU can reap only positive benefits all around. Engine runs better , better fuel economy , more power etc.

Q_ball
15-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Well I disagree with Dreadangel.

Stock car from factory have conservative tunning. They are not tunned to their optimum from the factory. This gives you the window to extract more from your motor. Gains are not much but there will be a gain.

Again if you have i/h/e your will also gain by having a tunable ecu, as you can tune your individual components to your motor.

even with a stock or "bolt on mods" engine - a aftermarket ECU can reap only positive benefits all around. Engine runs better , better fuel economy , more power etc.

You both beat me to it! :)
Nice!

DreadAngel
15-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Okay, let me explain myself for why I said what I said. Yes you do get benefits, I know most manufacturers have very tame/conservative mappings. But the gains you get with stock engine or simplest bolts I/H/E isn't to me justified by the cost and time it takes, money better spent else where. Vice versa if you had a moderate or heavily tuned motor like internal work, FI, mild camshafts etc, that would be the point where I'd splash out of ECU because it is necessary.

Sorry for not being clear before fellas :S

aaronng
15-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Check your current dyno's A/F ratio. Are you running rich? If you are not tuned to about 12.5 to 13.0:1 A/F ratio, then you can still get a little bit more power through ECU tuning. And, your gains (and potential engine damage) are only as good as your tuner.

fatboyz39
15-05-2007, 08:39 PM
The short of it is none, ECU won't give you anything unless you have some fairly serious mods, I'm not talking about simple I/H/E, if you have I/H/E then imho your wasting your time with an ECU. Wait till you use force induction or go hardcore NA style where you have a lot of new parts needing to be adjusted properly.

Totally off the mark.

We have proved this. Enuff said.

fatboyz39
15-05-2007, 08:40 PM
hey guys im thinking abts getting an hondata fitted to my vtir dc2 but unsure if i would be happy with the results can anyone show some dyno graphs and what power figures they made and how much of a difference it made ?

Go for it mate, well worth the money if its tuned properly. Hit DynoDave a Pm about prices and tuning.

datzlr
16-05-2007, 05:22 PM
dnt know if i should wait , cause im serzly considering going turbo !!!

but im not sure what do u guys reckon keep it n/a or go for turbz?

Benson
17-05-2007, 08:46 AM
The short of it is none, ECU won't give you anything unless you have some fairly serious mods, I'm not talking about simple I/H/E, if you have I/H/E then imho your wasting your time with an ECU. Wait till you use force induction or go hardcore NA style where you have a lot of new parts needing to be adjusted properly.

Damn, some people dont ever learn. If you think that I/H/E doesnt reap good gains with an aftermarket ECu like an Hondata then you are totally wrong. Even with a completely stock car with no mods, if you put on an hondata and you can definitely feel better mid-range torque. I've already done this, and yes i did feel the increase in mid-range torque.

In our totally stock R, we put an hondata on it. Cannot be happier with it. Then after wen we got I/H/E, damn it was rocket :p

DLO01
17-05-2007, 08:58 AM
dnt know if i should wait , cause im serzly considering going turbo !!!

but im not sure what do u guys reckon keep it n/a or go for turbz?

Its a personal choice man. In the end you need to decide.

Just weigh up the pros and cons.

Some people like feel of FI, some like feel of NA.

Consider $ vs power gains.

etc etc....

DreadAngel
18-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Damn some people don't look closely enough before they open their mouth..

Okay, let me explain myself for why I said what I said. Yes you do get benefits, I know most manufacturers have very tame/conservative mappings. But the gains you get with stock engine or simplest bolts I/H/E isn't to me justified by the cost and time it takes, money better spent else where. Vice versa if you had a moderate or heavily tuned motor like internal work, FI, mild camshafts etc, that would be the point where I'd splash out of ECU because it is necessary.

Sorry for not being clear before fellas :S

why don't you people look at my next post below to see my explaination then? I don't care what you say, that my opinion. Are you telling me getting something that will gain me a certain amount of power is worth more than say getting lightweight rims or decent coilovers or even a clutch or something?

bennjamin
18-05-2007, 01:17 PM
hey , relax everyone.

Its proven - that bolt on mods and proper tuning can reap ok results - not much better than a stock engine with same mods or even stock parts tho.
To take advantage of an aftermarket computer + tune you need aftermarket camshafts to simply let more air in. And then the rest....
For X amount of money spent -
id rather invest in power-to-weight ratio.
IE carbon fibre hood / light flywheel / lighter rims / lighter battery etc. It all adds up and will give a similar result to spending big on tuning + bolt ons.

REMEMBER ITS VERY HARD for a NA car to pull a 950-1100 kg car down the 1/4 mile. :)

wkdteg
20-05-2007, 11:40 PM
just as a reference...
i have a hondata s200 tuned by james brauneg
b16a with exhaust and intake... pretty much it
as for the future turbo upgrade, i believe the ecu can b reprogrammed for that.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i5/rami_g86/wkdteg%20new/IMGP01012.jpg

.::F[L]Y::.
20-05-2007, 11:59 PM
datzlr- i have a turbo kit for sale if your keen LOL

ZeForce
21-05-2007, 12:06 AM

Completely untrue, I gained 7-8% power and torque across the entire rev range from having my dead stock B16a dyno tuned.

jxn01
21-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Completely untrue, I gained 7-8% power and torque across the entire rev range from having my dead stock B16a dyno tuned.

seriously u guys need to read the whole post before you hit the qoute button and try to prove people wrong. Dreadforce has already explained what he meant by that statement. he wsa simply saying that the benefits produced by the product in question are not worth the money it cost. and that he would be much better off spending the money on something more beneficial

ZeForce
21-05-2007, 12:58 PM
seriously u guys need to read the whole post before you hit the qoute button and try to prove people wrong. DreadAngel has already explained what he meant by that statement. he wsa simply saying that the benefits produced by the product in question are not worth the money it cost. and that he would be much better off spending the money on something more beneficial

Well in that case he is still wrong, at ~$100/kw atw I dont think you can get much better than that with NA....

To take advantage of an aftermarket computer + tune you need aftermarket camshafts to simply let more air in. And then the rest....

You have that a bit mixed up, I think you mean to get the most of out aftermarket cams you need a programmable ecu + tune

id rather invest in power-to-weight ratio.
IE carbon fibre hood / light flywheel / lighter rims / lighter battery etc. It all adds up and will give a similar result to spending big on tuning + bolt ons.

REMEMBER ITS VERY HARD for a NA car to pull a 950-1100 kg car down the 1/4 mile. :)

To achieve the same power to weight ratio, you would need a 7-8% reduction in weight. For a 1000kg car that means 70-80kg, thats an awful amount of carbon fibre and probably most of the interior stripped out....

dsp26
21-05-2007, 01:10 PM
okay to hijack slightly i am going to get a hondata due to "reputable members" posts in this thread as i think my current set of mods can justify it.

what is the AVERAGE cost of tuning or $/ph for hondata including install?? and i'm pretty sure thats not a how long is a piece of string question.

bennjamin
21-05-2007, 02:07 PM
average price seems to be about the $600-700 incl. dyno time.
The "install" is simple - just unclip 3 ECU connectors and reclip teh new ECU on. The majority of the cost is the dyno time

czy_sol87
21-05-2007, 02:21 PM
average price seems to be about the $600-700 incl. dyno time.
The "install" is simple - just unclip 3 ECU connectors and reclip teh new ECU on. The majority of the cost is the dyno time

is this including the unit it self ben?? or is this just tuning cost, then u have to add on what ever the hondata cost

panda[cRx]
21-05-2007, 02:27 PM
not thats not including the unit, s300 are over $1k last time i checked?

czy_sol87
21-05-2007, 02:36 PM
;1177990']not thats not including the unit, s300 are over $1k last time i checked?

thought so, i was just like damn $600-700, thats pretty cheap for install and tune of an ecu

ZeForce
21-05-2007, 03:04 PM
thought so, i was just like damn $600-700, thats pretty cheap for install and tune of an ecu

I paid not much more than that for my install + dyno tune, fully programmable ECU Im talking about as well (ProECU)

wkdteg
21-05-2007, 03:11 PM
i cant remember how much i paid for the ecu, but i paied 650 for the dyno tune. heres the new hondata price list.

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=3072#post3072

ZeForce
21-05-2007, 03:20 PM
wow, Hondata is really over priced

ginganggooly
21-05-2007, 03:57 PM

I've got a huge problem with that statement, because it's been proven incorrect time, and time again.

The I/H/E + ECU combination is a great place to start in the b18c2.

Put it this way- my vti-r with i/h/e ecu and skunk2 Im ran a 14.393 @ 96mph. Stock ones are doing mid-15's.
When you consider that the home made cai cost nothing, the header was a $400 jdm 4-1 and the exhaust was a $400 livo special, and the manifold cost me $400 (all this stuff is now available second hand for next to nothing). Including tuning, the ECU was about 1200 from memory... - it's pretty good bang for your bucks.

Roughly 1 second and 5mph over a stock car after bolt ons and an ECU is pretty reasonable IMO.

ginganggooly
21-05-2007, 03:58 PM
wow, Hondata is really over priced

Probably worth having a chat to JDMyard. I believe BuddyClub have an arrangement with Hondata (USA), perhaps they can offer some competitive pricing...

datzlr
21-05-2007, 07:21 PM
got qouted for 1,100 including tune is that cheap or expensive

wkdteg
21-05-2007, 08:13 PM

which hondata ecu?

datzlr
24-05-2007, 09:06 PM
s100 :D

[[d a n n y]]
24-05-2007, 09:13 PM
S100 is more that sufficient with what u got for now.
though if u go turbo the s100 wont be good as far as i know.
if i was in your case i would save up for a S300.
S300 can support both n/a and turbo setups. but if your just going to stick with n/a S100 is good enuff

Benson
24-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Thats a fair price depending on who is tuning the ECU for you

Phamburger
24-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey mate

If ur getting a hondata s200 or s300 with tuning thats very reasonable.

Also you have to take into account the person tuning it. His experience in the industry and his work ethic. Do a ground check on that person if i were u and if there nothing but good comment and results. Then its worth that bit extra to do it right first time.

Trust me i did it the hard way and it cost me double. Due to a major miscalculation :(

Regards,
David

DynoDave
24-05-2007, 10:31 PM
so far ive got

intake
headers
ctr cams
full exhaust

Dude why would you listen to me I just try to blow the wind up every customers arse so they come to me and waste there money on a product or service that all these guru's on the net know more about than me,this is why I no longer will deal with the public its just a complete waste of time when all you have to do is ask on here what to do and you will get 100 different story's.
Regards Dyno Dave