PDA

View Full Version : Are Paste on Vehicle Registration plate allowed in Aus?

chriskoh2000
15-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Dear All;

Is Paste-on Vehicle registration license plate allowed in Aus? Coz the number plate sit smack in the center of the bumper >.< Would be nice if I can get a paste on license plate on the bumper instead....

Cheers

dsp26
15-05-2007, 12:58 PM
defect.

only alternative allowed is a piece of cardboard saying "Traffic" if you have no plates AND going to rta to rego your car.

no exceptions.

creativepunka
15-05-2007, 05:50 PM
defect.
only alternative allowed is a piece of cardboard saying "Traffic" if you have no plates AND going to rta to rego your car.
no exceptions.

One exception dsp26, If he doesnt live in NSW. Iv seen them in QLD, i think only a few special places are aloud to make them. Iv also seen the perspect ones too.

dsp26
15-05-2007, 07:21 PM
One exception dsp26, If he doesnt live in NSW. Iv seen them in QLD, i think only a few special places are aloud to make them. Iv also seen the perspect ones too.

what an actual license plate made of perspex??

no way that is legal anywhere

well it probably will help if people actually type the in what their supposed to under location...

andyhui01
16-05-2007, 01:28 PM
^I know several Asian countries that allow sticker license plates (but the background color must equal the backgroup color of the original plate and the font must be the same, it can only be the front as well)... On my uncles 456GTA, The malaysian license plate was so big that it didn't look nice on the mount, so he just stuck it on the bottom of the bumper.

kid_dynamite
16-05-2007, 02:15 PM
defect.

no exceptions.

lol sorry you lose.
in NSW you do not need a piece of cardboard saying traffic!.

mku01
16-05-2007, 02:28 PM
anyone know where you can get the paste-on registration in QLD?

kid_dynamite
16-05-2007, 02:31 PM

well it probably will help if people actually type the in what their supposed to under location...

Actually in the ACT some styles of number plates are available in perspex.

bennjamin
16-05-2007, 02:33 PM
lol sorry you lose.
in NSW you do not need a piece of cardboard saying traffic!.

ive never seen or heard of any evidence saying a plate saying TRAFFIC works or is legal. Ive seen a couple of workshops have it on the cars , but its probably pure LUCK that lets them drive on the road...

destrukshn
16-05-2007, 02:38 PM
ive never seen or heard of any evidence saying a plate saying TRAFFIC works or is legal. Ive seen a couple of workshops have it on the cars , but its probably pure LUCK that lets them drive on the road...
no your allowed to.
i've done it myself.
i called up the rta, and asked em, how do i get there if the car has no plates, and im going there to get rego for my car.
they said, get a piece of cardboard, and write TRAFFIC on it, clearly.
and place it where the original plate is.

bennjamin
16-05-2007, 02:40 PM
they said, get a piece of cardboard, and write TRAFFIC on it, clearly.
and place it where the original plate is.

When did you get this info ? Rules change all the time -

mind you , its only valid to drive DIRECTLY to the RTA or registering mech etc.

incoming
16-05-2007, 02:41 PM
cardboard with TRAFFIC is an urban legend
its better to just drive with no plates
lucky im nice and dont give neg reps haha

kid_dynamite
16-05-2007, 02:41 PM

The whole thing about the TRAFFIC thing is that in NSW it's completely unnecessary. You are allowed to drive an unregistered vehicle on the road for the purposes of establishing registration, along the most direct or convenient route.

You don't need to display anything, and can simply just drive the car with no number plates. I've done this several times and have never had a problem, although it's always a good idea to carry the rego paperwork with you to prove it if you get pulled over (because if you are driving an unregistered vehicle the police can seize it).

//edit: OK for everyone in NSW I've linked the RTA page regarding driving an unregistered vehicle for the purposes of getting rego. Note that it does not mention anything about needing to display any temporary number plates with TRAFFIC or anything else on it.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/rego_unregistered.html

If anyone believes that you do, then please show some proof to back up what you're saying :)

incoming
16-05-2007, 02:43 PM
The whole thing about the TRAFFIC thing is that in NSW it's completely unnecessary. You are allowed to drive an unregistered vehicle on the road for the purposes of establishing registration, along the most direct or convenient route.

You don't need to display anything, and can simply just drive the car with no number plates. I've done this several times and have never had a problem, although it's always a good idea to carry the rego paperwork with you to prove it if you get pulled over (because if you are driving an unregistered vehicle the police can seize it).

correct
u just need to have proof that of rego papers and that you are driving straight to mechanic..
usually best to call mechanic to inform them that your coming, that way when u get pulled over by cops
get them to ring the mechanics..
my bro had this happen to him and was let off

Rasputin
16-05-2007, 04:37 PM
^^ Good info, by both the original poster and incoming. Too bad you can't give pq points for this.

And think about it, what would be the point of writing 'TRAFFIC'?

VTECACCORD
16-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Hell I drove my car from Melbourne to Sydney with no plates whatsoever, passed 3 cops on the way. Not one of them cared

dsp26
16-05-2007, 07:01 PM
^^^thats lucky coz highway patrols are the strictest in my experience anyway.

i rang liverpool rta today and they said you have to put "TRAFFIC" on there.... I was also told that a couple of years back at my local RTA.

But yeah checked the site.. not written so my bad... gimme some neg rep i wanna see what it looks like!! :D i'm j/k plz dont!!

at the end of the day i'd rather listen to the Roads & Traffic AUTHORITY.. latter word being the key.

But anyways this is off-topic now... sticker/perspex rego plates in Australia???

Q_ball
16-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Not sure what this Traffic business is about, as i only scanned the whole thread,

But i do know that sticker/perspex plates ARE NOT allowed,
You CAN drive to a motor registry/mechanic whilst unregistered to clear/fix your defects (must be a direct trip - you cant stop off at Maccas)

kid_dynamite
16-05-2007, 07:26 PM
But i do know that sticker/perspex plates ARE NOT allowed

How about saying unofficial plates (ie plates not produced by a motor registry) aren't allowed? ;)

As I said before there are some registries which issue perspex / polycarbonate plates.

misteR_bilzz
16-05-2007, 07:31 PM
im pretty sure ur able to order sticker plates form the RTA my mate has some on his civic - i found them under his current plates BUT im not sure if theyre illegal now.

EK4R has sticker plates but the cars only been regd in WA and VIC not NSW...
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4281/23tq1.jpg

TheSaint
16-05-2007, 11:16 PM
anyone know wat the laws are like in WA?

most of these threads that say 'australia' are mostly only reffering to NSW because thats wer most ppl are, what about the rest of us?

misteR_bilzz
16-05-2007, 11:19 PM
the pic i posted above shows a WA plate. pm "Civic Type R" he might be able to shed some light on the WA situation i think he still browses the forum.

jeffske
16-05-2007, 11:31 PM

dude u sure about the perspex part? i've seen a few high end cars with really tiny perspex front plates and standard ones at the back (because they didnt want to damage the front)

dsp26
17-05-2007, 08:34 AM
^^not a rego plate cover/holder/whatever... and actual license plate made of perspex

aimre
17-05-2007, 10:44 AM
What the hell?? Did anyone bother to read the guys question???

He wants to know if he can get licence plates that are in the form of a sticker, instead of a metal plate. Like 2 ppl in 2 pages have answered this.

To the guy thatasked this question, ring your local traffic authority, no one here can give u a positive answer, only what they "Think" is the law, or what they have seen.

They are probably available, but im not sure of the rules to get it.

Chi
17-05-2007, 10:56 AM
And this thread has a couple of ozhonda mods lol