PDA

View Full Version : 1000KM service not change engine oil?

rocwang
16-05-2007, 09:14 AM
The 1000km service not change engine oil?
I asked dealer, dealer said 2007 model euro donnot need to change engine oil for 1000km service.

that is very funny, my fist time hear abour that!

so finally, i need to change or not?
anyone can help me?

EuroDude
16-05-2007, 09:37 AM
All the new Honda's dont need to have the oil changed until 10,000km.
Apparently they are using a special oil additive or something now.

But I would do it anyway for piece of mind. Buy some Honda FEO and do it yourself

Zdster
16-05-2007, 10:49 AM
That is crazy. Saw it done on a civic too.

When the oil was changed (at about 2k) you should have seen the number of floaters/debree!

anthonyl
16-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Well I just had my 1000k service done and they charged me $49.00 for engine oil. HAVE I BEEN SCAMMED?

JasonGilholme
16-05-2007, 11:06 AM
nah that'd be about right for oil.

Its pricey.

panda[cRx]
16-05-2007, 11:07 AM
All the new Honda's dont need to have the oil changed until 10,000km.
Apparently they are using a special oil additive or something now.

But I would do it anyway for piece of mind. Buy some Honda FEO and do it yourself

MOST of the current range have the additive from the factory and don't require an oil change until the 10,000km mark. the euro is currently the only exception to the rule, it still has it's oil change at 1000km/1 month

FOR ALL OTHER VEHICLES THAT HAVE THE ADDITIVE, HONDA AUSTRALIA RECOMMENDS AGAINST OIL CHANGES UNTIL THE 10,000KM/6 MONTH SERVICE. DOING TO RISKS VOIDING YOUR ENGINE WARRANTY

Well I just had my 1000k service done and they charged me $49.00 for engine oil. HAVE I BEEN SCAMMED?

average price is $45-50 for first service, you have not been ripped off.

if you are complaining about service price already sell your honda and buy a hyundai

anthonyl
16-05-2007, 11:12 AM
;1171829']MOST of the current range have the additive from the factory and don't require an oil change until the 10,000km mark. the euro is currently the only exception to the rule, it still has it's oil change at 1000km/1 month

FOR ALL OTHER VEHICLES THAT HAVE THE ADDITIVE, HONDA AUSTRALIA RECOMMENDS AGAINST OIL CHANGES UNTIL THE 10,000KM/6 MONTH SERVICE. DOING TO RISKS VOIDING YOUR ENGINE WARRANTY

average price is $45-50 for first service, you have not been ripped off.

if you are complaining about service price already sell your honda and buy a hyundai

No no ..dont get me wrong..I was merely asking in reference to the OP saying that the Euro does not have it's oil changed at the 1000k service....if it didnt then why was I charged for something that wasnt done ..thats all.

Spicey
16-05-2007, 11:37 AM
No, dont buy a Hyundai, have you seen some of their service prices!

tony1234
16-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Next service bring your own oil.

Lukey13
17-05-2007, 06:25 AM
I recently had my 2007 Euro serviced for 1000km which included an oil change. The service was free but I had to pay for the oil which was $36.50.

tron07
17-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I had them change mine at 1k

panda[cRx]
17-05-2007, 09:06 AM
like you are supposed to.... don't you guys look at your service schedules? it's in your books!

rocwang
17-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I was send the email to honda australia, and I get reply:

Dear Mr Wang

Thank you for your enquiry.

Honda Australia wish to advise that the oil in your 2007 Honda Accord Euro does require changing at the 1000 km service.

yours sincerely
HONDA AUSTRALIA PTY LTD

aaronng
17-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Pull your dipstick out and check if the oil is still gold or if it is dark brown.

winvin23
17-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes, my first oil change is scheduled at 1,000 km service, and the next ones would be every 10,000 km.

Details from Honda Service

1,000 km or 1 month

Inspect & Adjust
All fluids
Operation of exhaust emission equipment and readings
Battery
Cooling system hoses and connections
Transmission oil
Parking brake
Brake hose and lines (including ABS)
Throttle control cables
Steering system and tyre condition
Accessory belt play
Operation of all electrical components and accessories
Operation of all body components
Test drive, all systems and controls

Replace
Engine oil :thumbsup:

terryansimon
31-05-2007, 08:08 PM
sorry for hijacking this thread.... don't want to be starting another thread. :)

my euro is due for my first (1000km) servicing tomorrow, and I was told by the service guys that I do not need to change the engine oil. I told him that that was contrary to what I remembered from reading the service books. so he says that I can change the oil if I want, but for a fee. and he offered two choices.

1.) Castrol Magnatech Semi-Synth *he didn't say what 'model' it was*
2.) Original Honda oil *couldn't really catch what was the 'model' of the oil. was too noisy at my end.*

I know I am suppose to change my oil....

but which one of the two options would be a better option for my car?

aaronng
31-05-2007, 08:15 PM
sorry for hijacking this thread.... don't want to be starting another thread. :)

my euro is due for my first (1000km) servicing tomorrow, and I was told by the service guys that I do not need to change the engine oil. I told him that that was contrary to what I remembered from reading the service books. so he says that I can change the oil if I want, but for a fee. and he offered two choices.

1.) Castrol Magnatech Semi-Synth *he didn't say what 'model' it was*
2.) Original Honda oil *couldn't really catch what was the 'model' of the oil. was too noisy at my end.*

I know I am suppose to change my oil....

but which one of the two options would be a better option for my car?
If your service booklet says to change engine oil, then they should charge you only for the cost of the Honda oil which is $30.

anthonyl
31-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Well it seems that Honda have different "strokes for different folks"..some are told they dont need to change the oil and some are told they do...I was told I DO need to change the oil.

Maybe someone needs to ring HONDA AUSTRALIA direct and get it from the horses mouth.

Who knows they could be telling us they ARE changing the oil when in fact they ARE NOT... BUT charging us for the priviledge.

terryansimon
31-05-2007, 08:21 PM
If your service booklet says to change engine oil, then they should charge you only for the cost of the Honda oil which is $30.

so with what you're saying, it'd be a better option for me to change to the Honda Engine oil instead of the Castrol Magnatech option?

and yeah, from what I remember him telling me, I'll only have to pay for the oil, everything else is provided for.

tony1234
31-05-2007, 08:46 PM
so with what you're saying, it'd be a better option for me to change to the Honda Engine oil instead of the Castrol Magnatech option?

and yeah, from what I remember him telling me, I'll only have to pay for the oil, everything else is provided for.
Yes.Go for the FEO(Honda oil).Before you drop your car off for service go to spare parts dept. and buy 5ltrs. of FEO.Then leave it on passengers seat and ask them(service) to use it instead of Magnatec or whatever they use.BTW ask them to change the filter as well.Then at 10k service switch to full synthetic.

terryansimon
31-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes.Go for the FEO(Honda oil).Before you drop your car off for service go to spare parts dept. and buy 5ltrs. of FEO.Then leave it on passengers seat and ask them(service) to use it instead of Magnatec or whatever they use.BTW ask them to change the filter as well.Then at 10k service switch to full synthetic.

I take it the filter you're talking about is the oil filter and not the air filter? or is it both?

also, I'll try to see if I can pop by the spares department. if there is one. oh well.

thanks for the heads up! (=

tony1234
31-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I take it the filter you're talking about is the oil filter and not the air filter? or is it both?

also, I'll try to see if I can pop by the spares department. if there is one. oh well.

thanks for the heads up! (=
Yeah,oil filter not air filter.You'll save some money as well if you supply your own oil plus you know what oil is going into your engine.BTW spares dept. should be next to service,just ask.:)

panda[cRx]
31-05-2007, 09:27 PM

what about sump plug washer and an enviromental waste charge(disposal of oil)?

Well it seems that Honda have different "strokes for different folks"..some are told they dont need to change the oil and some are told they do...I was told I DO need to change the oil.

Maybe someone needs to ring HONDA AUSTRALIA direct and get it from the horses mouth.

Who knows they could be telling us they ARE changing the oil when in fact they ARE NOT... BUT charging us for the priviledge.

there IS an oil change for the euro. and as for charging for somethign then not doing it.... dont be stupid, it's not worth it to save the cost of oil (at cost price to them)

shadou
31-05-2007, 09:31 PM
maybe someone should make a sticky about service and what they include. I would but I can't remember them all. Pfft sif panda those washers are what 5cents each? I got a shit load of them sitting in my toolbox :p

aaronng
31-05-2007, 10:04 PM
;1194263']what about sump plug washer and an enviromental waste charge(disposal of oil)?

1st change is supposed to be free in terms of labour so you pay in parts. So I guess you will get charged for that sump washer.

aaronng
31-05-2007, 10:05 PM
maybe someone should make a sticky about service and what they include. I would but I can't remember them all. Pfft sif panda those washers are what 5cents each? I got a shit load of them sitting in my toolbox :p

Nah, they are $0.50 or more. And they are not the same as the washers used for other bolts.

aaronng
31-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Yeah, I'd prefer Honda FEO over Magnatec (which turned rough after about 7000km.

vtek
31-05-2007, 10:34 PM
If your Euro is a 06 model the oil gets changed. If its a 07 model the 1000km service is just a safety check as they have a run in oil that gets replaced at your next service. Honda doesnt recomend changing them so why would you waste money changing the oil if there is a special oil from the factory?

terryansimon
31-05-2007, 10:38 PM
If your Euro is a 06 model the oil gets changed. If its a 07 model the 1000km service is just a safety check as they have a run in oil that gets replaced at your next service. Honda doesnt recomend changing them so why would you waste money changing the oil if there is a special oil from the factory?

wouldn't that be conflicting with what the service manual for 1000km says?

because it's written that it needs to be changed.

maybe another way to siphon money off the end user. but giving them the benefit of the doubt, why would they still list it down? surely there must be some basis behind it *apart from fiscal reasons*

shadou
31-05-2007, 10:40 PM
really .50 cents each? sweet I got like $20 worth of honda sump washers then :D omg so happy didn't pay a cent for them either.

vtek
31-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah we got a bulletin saying not to change them so we dont change them. In the middle of your VIN what is the number before the Letter 6C or 7C?

wouldn't that be conflicting with what the service manual for 1000km says?

because it's written that it needs to be changed.

maybe another way to siphon money off the end user. but giving them the benefit of the doubt, why would they still list it down? surely there must be some basis behind it *apart from fiscal reasons*

terryansimon
31-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah we got a bulletin saying not to change them so we dont change them. In the middle of your VIN what is the number before the Letter 6C or 7C?

507C is on the VIN.

vtek
31-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok it is definantly 07 Ill check tomorow at work. Honda have lost it if it has it in the book and telling us to not change the oil.

panda[cRx]
01-06-2007, 12:39 AM
1st change is supposed to be free in terms of labour so you pay in parts. So I guess you will get charged for that sump washer.

exactly what i am saying. u also pay for disposal of oil too

and pretty sure dealers charge almost a dollar for those washers

the average first service costs for euro's is $40-50 depending what dealer as they all charge slightly different amounts for different items

tony1234
01-06-2007, 07:42 AM
If you have to change oil at 1000k service just buy FEO (10W30 i think)from spares before you drop your car off to service.i agree with Aaron FEO is better than Magnatec.If service says not to change oil and service book says change oil get them to ring HA while you're there and ask what the fcuk is going on.

Zdster
01-06-2007, 09:04 AM
As I said earlier, I recently saw a new civic that was being serviced for another reason by a local mechanic (who I trust) and he replaced the oil and filter. The amount of debree in the oil at only 2k was amazing. I would have thought that even if the oil is 'special' damage would be occuring.

tron07
01-06-2007, 12:19 PM
magnetec is not good?? I thought of getting magnetec or Edge

aaronng
01-06-2007, 12:47 PM
magnetec is not good?? I thought of getting magnetec or Edge

Edge 5w-30 is better than Magnatec.

tron07
01-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Emm... then edge is better then feo? Since feo is better then magnatec?

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp?Section=1&Make=27&Model=884

Cool

CASTROL MAGNATEC
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 combines Intelligent Molecules with synthetic technology for a stronger layer of protection from the moment you turn the key. Whether its during start-up, or on the road in demanding driving conditions, your engine needs more than just ordinary oil. You need the advanced protection of liquid engineering. Castrol Magnatec keeps your car at its peak for longer as its Intelligent Molecules cling and bond to metal surfaces of your engine, protect during all driving conditions and temperatures. Castrol Magnatec meets and exceeds API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3 requirements.

CASTROL EDGE SPORT 5W-30
Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 is a full synthetic SAE 5W-30, API SM/CF. ACEA A3/B3/B4 engine oil formulated for highly tuned fast fours and latest technology engines. It provides superb strength and ultimate protection even when running hard, fast or hot.

terryansimon
01-06-2007, 03:38 PM
the centre replaced mine with Magnatec. I would have thought they would have gone with original Honda FEO.

but he claims that it's rated to run with a Honda, and that it's approved for use by Honda.

*shrugs*

but I got it for cheap, though.

tony1234
01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
the centre replaced mine with Magnatec. I would have thought they would have gone with original Honda FEO.

but he claims that it's rated to run with a Honda, and that it's approved for use by Honda.

*shrugs*

but I got it for cheap, though.
change it at approx.5-6k for full synthetic(like Edge 5W30).when driven moderate to hard most of the time the Magnatec and the FEO starts to break down after 7-8k.I was told this by a Honda service foreman.

aaronng
01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Edge can go all the way to 10,000km. It's pretty tough unlike Magnatec which started becoming rough after 7000km of sedate driving.

terryansimon
01-06-2007, 06:13 PM
hmm... okay. this edge you guys are talking about, it's Castrol Edge? or something else altogether?

aaronng
01-06-2007, 06:24 PM
hmm... okay. this edge you guys are talking about, it's Castrol Edge? or something else altogether?

Yup Castrol Edge. The 5w-30 a cheap alternative to a synthetic. The 0w-40 is a true synthetic, but for the price, you can also go for Motul 8100 5w-40.

terryansimon
01-06-2007, 06:38 PM
rightO. is it a semi-synth though? coz if it is, I may consider changing it during the 5k mark coz Magnatec supposedly roughs up around the 7k mark under moderate to hard driving *doubt I'll reach that level*

if not, I'll just change it during the 10k servicing mark. *shrugs*

tony1234
02-06-2007, 09:47 AM
rightO. is it a semi-synth though? coz if it is, I may consider changing it during the 5k mark coz Magnatec supposedly roughs up around the 7k mark under moderate to hard driving *doubt I'll reach that level*

Castrol Edge 5W30 is full synthetic.Change yours at 6k to Edge and from then on just service every 10k or 6 mths.and you'll be good!I do mine every 5k but i'm a bit fanatical with my car.!!!:D

aaronng
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Castrol Edge 5w-30 is a hydrocracked synthetic. It's from a mineral base where they break down the chains to the size that they want. Will last to 10,000km and maybe beyond (haven't tested)

Castrol Edge 0w-40 and Motul 8100 5w-40 are polyalphaolefin-based synthetics. They use the natural gas fraction to build up the long chains. Lasts pretty good, even through a trackday.

If you plan to change at 5k, then just stick with Magnatec or FEO. Both are good for that distance.

^__^ SM ^__^
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
My 06 Euro didn't get the oil changed at 1000KM. Got it at the 6months service which I did at ~6000KM. They told me that 06 didn't need oil change till 10,000KM.

Now after reading this thread, I'm very confused about what is going on. I hope that didn't kill my engine in long term.

:(

tony1234
03-06-2007, 09:23 AM
My 06 Euro didn't get the oil changed at 1000KM. Got it at the 6months service which I did at ~6000KM. They told me that 06 didn't need oil change till 10,000KM.

Now after reading this thread, I'm very confused about what is going on. I hope that didn't kill my engine in long term.

Mine's an 06(plated 5/06)and my manual says 1000km service is to be done inc.oil change which of course i did???:confused:

^__^ SM ^__^
03-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Mine's an 06(plated 5/06)and my manual says 1000km service is to be done inc.oil change which of course i did???:confused:

I know that it says oil change in manual but my dealer and another 2nd dealer both said that the additive were added even for the 06 Euros (mine is 05/06 too).

aaronng
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I know that it says oil change in manual but my dealer and another 2nd dealer both said that the additive were added even for the 06 Euros (mine is 05/06 too).

Do you remember checking your oil level before the first oil change? What colour was it?

tron07
04-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I remember that my 06 euro's service manual didnt state oil change at 1k, but I told them to do so...

Anyway, went to supercheap auto, the price of edge is just about 10 bucks more then magnatec... so its better to get edge. But then Edge 0-40 is almost double the price of Edge 5-30. Whooper!!

LXRY
05-06-2007, 01:34 AM

Hey don't stress I'm sure Honda know what they are doing....NOT.

Sales rep didn't even open the bonnet when I picked up my car told me "don't bother opening the bonnet, you'll never need too...."

Getting back to the subject...Oil, go by Honda specs always, consult your manuals, realistically speaking it makes sense to change your oil at 1,000klm....hey won't hurt if you change it anyhow....10,000klm's too long for oil change.

"Oilz aint Oilz"

Take Aaronng's advice on oil :thumbsup:

Any one know any other oil that can take you beyond 10,000 tested?

I know mercedes use Mobil Delvac oil for their sprinter diesel vans, oil change every 22,500klm's can vouch for this as I own 2 of them. New Sprinter vans every 30,000klm's......must admit they get a little sluggish close to service though but 22,500 for a diesel is amazing :eek:

aaronng
05-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Hey don't stress I'm sure Honda know what they are doing....NOT.

Sales rep didn't even open the bonnet when I picked up my car told me "don't bother opening the bonnet, you'll never need too...."
Wow, that is a bad sales rep. My sales rep showed me where to check the oil level, how to disable the rear boot release switch and even showed me how to wind the windows up and down with the remote and key.

Getting back to the subject...Oil, go by Honda specs always, consult your manuals, realistically speaking it makes sense to change your oil at 1,000klm....hey won't hurt if you change it anyhow....10,000klm's too long for oil change.

Any one know any other oil that can take you beyond 10,000 tested?
Cheap mineral oils like Magnatec and GTX aren't going to last that 10,000km, but a good synthetic like Castrol Edge 0w-40, Mobil1 10w-30 or Motul 8100 5w-40 will if you are not bringing your car to the track. The cheaper Edge 5w-30 might last til 10,000km, but when you look at its specs, it's just a mineral oil that has been customised and has synthetic additives added to it.

marckietan
05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Ok. i have read the email but...
how do you open the windows with the remote??

thanks Aaron:p

aaronng
05-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Ok. i have read the email but...
how do you open the windows with the remote??

thanks Aaron:p

Hold the unlock button down on your remote. Or put the key in and turn to unlock and hold it there.

To roll it up, you can't do it via the remote but only through the key. Put the key in, turn it once to lock and about 1/2 a second later, turn it once more and hold. After about 2 seconds, the windows will roll up. The driver's window will roll up slightly later, so that you know that when the driver's window is up, all the other windows are up as well.

marckietan
05-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks Aaron. Tried it but it still doesn't work. Mine is a 2007 ltd...was it not added to the newer versions. I did read about it in the handbook and tried it out but it didnt work then!

also just to add to the thread proper...just had my 1000 km service and both the oil filter and oil were changed.

any ideas on the remote and window thingy...i remember that was one of many cool things that impressed me when i test drove the jetta turbo and golf gti!

aaronng
06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks Aaron. Tried it but it still doesn't work. Mine is a 2007 ltd...was it not added to the newer versions. I did read about it in the handbook and tried it out but it didnt work then!

also just to add to the thread proper...just had my 1000 km service and both the oil filter and oil were changed.

any ideas on the remote and window thingy...i remember that was one of many cool things that impressed me when i test drove the jetta turbo and golf gti!

It should work on all Euros from 03-07. Have you tried just holding the unlock button? (don't let it go once you press it to unlock your car)