PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Bucket Seats & Racing belts

checkers
16-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi, I have cobra bucket seats from my old car and want to fit these into my gen2 crx. Where can I buy (or have put in) rails/mounting hardware for this since the old bits were damaged?
Also with the racing seats & 3 point seat-belts, do these need to be professionally installed for saftey?

Riced_Civic
16-05-2007, 04:10 PM
well i got defected just a weekago about the belts unless there engineered but when i had my bucket seats they were ok & road worthy with normal seat belts.
but i was probably unlucky that i got pulledover and you can prob get away with it cos i did it for 2 yrs.

datzlr
16-05-2007, 05:23 PM
i got fined for my buddy club seats

jdm_kid
16-05-2007, 06:24 PM
i got fined for my buddy club seats

thats not goin to answer his question lol

You will have to get the seat rails made up and engineered. With the 3point seat belt, i see no point on having them installed if ur driving ur car daily. You will prob have to get that engineered too. If u dont know what ur doin take it to a professional :)

SINISTR
16-05-2007, 07:07 PM
1: is your COBRA seat bottom or side mounted?
2: do you want the ability to adjust position of the seat?
2: how tall are you? does your crx have a sunroof
3: do you plan on racing or is it for the street only

reason im asking all these question is because these will effect what you need to do to install the seat etc.

I have two seats, one bottom mount and recently bought a sparco which is side mounted and came with side mounts included in the sale.

The bottom mount seat I have uses a set of stock gen2 crx rails, with a modified/welded set of runners which are then bolted to the bottom of the seat.
On the side mounted seat, im currently also using a set of Gen1 crx rails (going into BANDIT) with the side mount brackets provided - they are drilled to the correct positions etc. Reason im using rails is because my gf 'MIGHT' drive the car too and she's shorter than myself.

You could get the seat 'fix' mounted - one position which suits you best - but best to get a pro to do it for you, last thing you want is for dodgy welds/bolts to let loose around a corner or for you to be uncomfortable because of wrong angles etc.

How tall are you? does your crx have a sunroof - plays a big role if you're going to be racing, you'll have to wear a helmet and that will affect the positioning of your seat - again best to see a pro about this. You might have to fix mount it at the lowest position etc to fit in (issues Im currently solving)

Do you plan on racing will affect the harness issue, as harnesses are illegal in a street car unless engineered. Engineering mean they are attached to a proper secure bar at the back of the car - not some child seat mount which actually alters the way the belt attaches - making it a risk to the driver.

If you answer those questions, you'll be able to figure out better what you need to do. I'd seek the opinion and engineering experience of a professional seat mount builder tho if you're likely to be experiencing any issues with head height, or plan on racing etc.

Its not a game, better do it once 'properly' than pay the price after.

Mike

Zdster
16-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Mike is spot on (plus PQ points for you), but one final thing to add.

I would never run a full harness in a street car. They are not designed for accidents that occur on the street as opposed to on the track. There is a fair bit of evidence to support this claim as well.

SINISTR
16-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Mike is spot on (plus PQ points for you), but one final thing to add.

I would never run a full harness in a street car. They are not designed for accidents that occur on the street as opposed to on the track. There is a fair bit of evidence to support this claim as well.

Agreed - not recommended for street due to access issues after accident.

checkers
16-05-2007, 11:24 PM
1: is your COBRA seat bottom or side mounted?
2: do you want the ability to adjust position of the seat?
2: how tall are you? does your crx have a sunroof
3: do you plan on racing or is it for the street only

Thanks for input guys. I've decided to leave the belts aside although I'm not sure I agree that they are worse in a st accident, as they did come off my old car which was in a serious accident & I think they helped in not having a serious injury.

Anyway: 1: Bottom mounted, 2: they are fixed seats but yes I want them to slide, 2: very short 162cm & my crx has a glass roof, 3: st only.
Cool thanks for the tips I'll take a look if i can use the existing rails but might get a pro to get it done properly.

Also where exactly do I find these seat mount maker people? Do I just look up engineers?

SINISTR
17-05-2007, 12:42 AM
A harness - theoretically is better as it holds you in the seat, during cornering, incase of a rollover if the car is fitted with a roll cage etc. In case of a street accident, despite the fact its much safer in theory, in some circumstances its actually 'safer' if you can bend inside the car, or do have some ability to move - as your body becomes quiet slacky during an impact. Imagine your car rolls over, you're strapped in a harness and your neck gets broken - you die. With a normal seatbelt you'll actually get flung within the seatbelt restraint - potentially saving your life. - thats the way I see it anyway.

The seat mount people are motor engineers, people who build rally cars etc. Im sure there is plenty people :)

here you go... took a couple pics for you of what I mean and how my seat is setup. If you're only 162cm tall, you shouldn't have any clearance issues.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/182128-2/P1090440.JPG

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/182131-2/P1090442.JPG

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/182134-2/P1090444.JPG

the last one basically shows you the 'whole' design. the brackets, the rails and how its mounted to the seat from underneath.

Zdster
17-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks for input guys. I've decided to leave the belts aside although I'm not sure I agree that they are worse in a st accident, as they did come off my old car which was in a serious accident & I think they helped in not having a serious injury.

Anyway: 1: Bottom mounted, 2: they are fixed seats but yes I want them to slide, 2: very short 162cm & my crx has a glass roof, 3: st only.
Cool thanks for the tips I'll take a look if i can use the existing rails but might get a pro to get it done properly.

Also where exactly do I find these seat mount maker people? Do I just look up engineers?

I know you have decided against it, but a few of many links:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1764604
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1663532

checkers
18-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey Sinster & Zdster thanks heaps for the info. Pics are really useful. At the moment just getting one of the seats re-foamed and getting some prices on mounts.
Thanks again!

Zdster
18-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey Sinster & Zdster thanks heaps for the info. Pics are really useful. At the moment just getting one of the seats re-foamed and getting some prices on mounts.
Thanks again!

If you need the name of a trimmer in Melbourne let me know.

ACTI0NMAN-1
18-05-2007, 11:41 AM
A harness - theoretically is better as it holds you in the seat, during cornering, incase of a rollover if the car is fitted with a roll cage etc. In case of a street accident, despite the fact its much safer in theory, in some circumstances its actually 'safer' if you can bend inside the car, or do have some ability to move - as your body becomes quiet slacky during an impact. Imagine your car rolls over, you're strapped in a harness and your neck gets broken - you die. With a normal seatbelt you'll actually get flung within the seatbelt restraint - potentially saving your life. - thats the way I see it anyway.

as above, with the normal sash belt, you have that slight extra ability to crouch or bend slightly to the side in a roll over situation. And mould yourself a little more to a bent cabin situation.