PDA

View Full Version : How much would a 1992 LS intega weigh

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm sure this is a basic question for you guys, I'm just wondering how much a standard 1992 LS integra would weigh. I currently hill climb and circuit race a 1988 CRX which i have got down to around 900kg with out taking to much out. Friends of mine are trying to get me to get a sadan or integra 2 door, because they think it would handle better with the longer wheel base???

By the way i'll be racing at stanthorpe this weekend in the sprint series, there will also be circuit racing on at the same event if anyone is keen to come and have a look ,its the first time i've been there. Entrys closed last week so you won't be able to race, but from what i have heard its good to watch.

EKVTIR-T
16-05-2007, 07:47 PM
1122kg from memory.

URBAN4
16-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I think around 1120-1160kg.

EDIT: beat me to it ^^^

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 07:53 PM
thats a bit heavier than i would have thought, any idea what you would be able to get them down to??

aus91integra
16-05-2007, 07:55 PM
stick with the crx..
power to weight and balance is better..

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 07:57 PM
stick with the crx..
power to weight and balance is better..

Yeah thats what i think to, but when you are cornering fast on the track, the CRX is really twitchy. i"m just wondering if a integra would corner better?

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I really like the look of the 92 integras and i think they would have a bit more engine space for a b18c. My b16a hits the bonnet of the CRX as it is hehe. I don't think a b18c would get in there...

string
16-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I think you guys will find the actual weight of the DA chassis is considerably less than what the manual says.

I weight mine about a year ago at a local weighbridge and it came in at 1060kg +/- 10kg. This is without powersteering or airconditioning, but retaining the spare tyre, and had around 10litres of fuel. A generous estimate of what i'd removed at the time would be 15-20kg. Can't remember what rims I had on at the time but they would have been either heavy 14's or heavy 15's (as in at least 7kg per rim alone)

Along with more than 10inches of wheelbase you'll also get a whopping 3 inches more track!

You'd be doing well to get it under 1000kg. Light wheels, small battery, lack of interior - i'm sure you know the drill :)

VTEC heads come extremely close to hitting the bonnet on the DA integra. When I had my LSVTEC in there I honestly could not believe the bonnet would even close, from side on it looks incredibly high (shame I can't find a photo).

EKVTIR-T
16-05-2007, 08:14 PM
The rear definately seems more stable through corners than the honda hatchbacks.Coming from an ek hatch I noticed it pretty easily.
Also if you get clearance issues with engine you could look into an aftermarket bonnet which also shaves weight.DA bonnets weigh a tonne.

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I think you guys will find the actual weight of the DA chassis is considerably less than what the manual says.

I weight mine about a year ago at a local weighbridge and it came in at 1060kg +/- 10kg. This is without powersteering or airconditioning, but retaining the spare tyre, and had around 10litres of fuel. A generous estimate of what i'd removed at the time would be 15-20kg.

What are the rules for the class you are racing in? What motor is in your crx? If it's the standard little beast then I think it might definately be worth it for the upgrade to the much more capable 1.8's.

Along with more than 10inches of wheelbase you'll also get a whopping 3 inches more track!

You'd be doing well to get it under 1000kg. Light wheels, small battery, lack of interior - i'm sure you know the drill :)

VTEC heads come extremely close to hitting the bonnet on the DA integra. When I had my LSVTEC in there I honestly could not believe the bonnet would even close, from side on it looks incredibly high (shame I can't find a photo).

Yeah thanks mate that what i would have quessed the weight would have been around. The CRX now has a JDM B16A with a micro-tec, its a very fueled up tune, it did a 14.8 at the drags but i have never had it dynoed..

when i weighed it, it had a zc 1600 (which are a much smaller engine i think the weight difference between those 2 engine would be a bit by itself) the pasenger set, spare tyre, and a bit of the interier was out, and it had about 3/4 of a tank of fuel...

I race in improved production.. in NSW it has to be the same as when you drive it on the road minus spare tyres and things that move around,

In qld they put me in with all the full race cars that are under 1600..

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 08:17 PM
The rear definately seems more stable through corners than the honda hatchbacks.Coming from an ek hatch I noticed it pretty easily.
Also if you get clearance issues with engine you could look into an aftermarket bonnet which also shaves weight.DA bonnets weigh a tonne.

yeah thats what a few people are staring to say to me, the rear of my car moves around alot, people have suggested putting a little bit of toe in on the back and things like that for my car.. but i don't know to much about the finer little suspension details like that

EKVTIR-T
16-05-2007, 08:22 PM
If your permitted how about a t-wing?I know they look ridiculous on the st but a mate of mine swears they help fwd's grip better in the rear.

intacivic16v
16-05-2007, 08:26 PM
hehe, yeah i think they would help a fare bit exspecially at high speed, but i don't know if i could do it.. they do look a little strange. hehe

aus91integra
16-05-2007, 08:44 PM
crx is a better base... much better then an LS

LS needs mods to get it to handle as good as a crx...

if i had my choice again.. id go crx..

what do you mean when u say twitchy.. how low is your crx? any suspension mods?

my h22 LS weighs in at 1170 with full interior..

string
16-05-2007, 08:57 PM

If you're going to make blanket statements such as this at least back it up with some evidence. Why is the CRX a better base? Or better - under what conditions is a CRX a better base?

Both cars don't handle greatly in stock trim, so comparing standard performance - especially in the context of an off-road race car - is entirely pointless.

Did you get your car weighed to get that 1170 figure or did you just have a guess?

aus91integra
16-05-2007, 09:18 PM
my car was weighed at a vicroads weighbridge as part of the engineering and registration process..

I have tracked both my LS' h22 and my standard LS.. and in comparison to the 88 crx.. the crx is more nimble and will exit corners at a faster speed.. and this was a d16a CRX.. in comparison to b18a LS these comparisons were done at winton and sandown.

i have found that a standard LS has understeer issues .. to correct this i found that a thicker rear sway bar needs to be added.. this will induce slight oversteer in which you can control with throttle..

as much as i love the LS you need to be realistic and unbias in judgement

string
16-05-2007, 09:28 PM
What suspension on your H22 LS? New shocks? Heavy H22 up front no wonder it handles badly. Specifically, what was it with the addition of your "thicker" sway bar? How thick? What tyres did you have on both cars, the same? How about the condition of the bushes, and your alignment settings, same on both cars?

I think you need to be realistic with your comparasin methods. Comparing two 16+ year old cars, you need to start taking into account what has happened to each car over those years, because unless they both have never been driven before, you can bet your last dollar that they will be in considerably different conditions (not necessarily any worse, just worn in different manners). Alternately, you can replace worn components to new specifications; but from the words "standard" and "d16" I doubt that happened.

Most front wheel drives have understeer issues. Hence why the DC2R is so stiffly sprung in the rear, to increase front grip, not reduce rear grip.

FR33K
16-05-2007, 09:44 PM
hes comparing standard with standard

string
16-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Did you read my second paragraph? These cars are over 15 years old and obviously in completely different condition to stock. Also, standard suspension tune obviously wasn't geared towards performance; who's to say that honda didn't want to make the DA9 a bit more comfy at the expensive of performance. Making blanket statements about using a chassis as a base, comparing by measuring the performance of 15 year old standard machine, is futile at best - especially when it comes to race time, where all those stock components are in a box in the garage, and bushes in the bin.

Jnr_Mint
18-05-2007, 08:17 PM
it says on the rego sticker... 1147 for the auto

string
18-05-2007, 08:22 PM
In NSW it's on the Rego paper. Mine says 1087, manual.

garett
21-05-2007, 01:04 PM
both cars would be great, one could say that the crx would be better on sharper corners such as hill climb work where as the longer wheelbase of the teg would give better stablility through longer corners.

so maybe the teg at the island and the crx at winton...??

$0.02

tseesinngwailo
21-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a 91 DA9 with B16a, KYB adjustable firmness on the front and Koni adjustable height/firm on the rear, have not done the swaybar yet but have been able to keep up or outdo a lot of cars around sharper corners I know well, yes it's an old car and maybe not the first choice for people as a race car, but there are many cars that can be made to handle well with sensible mods. I also have top and bottom bracing.

I had a semi-professional racer friend drive my car recently and he was hitting corners so hard I thought I was going to die, I was extremely impressed by the capabilities of my car, I am going to get him to take it around Eastern Creek (Wife wont let me, long story) just to see how it will do.

Whatever car you choose to get (or keep with), just make sure it's something that makes you happy, you are doing the right thing by asking questions, this will save you heaps of money in the end.

Cheers, Chris

intacivic16v
21-05-2007, 05:59 PM

if i had my choice again.. id go crx..

what do you mean when u say twitchy.. how low is your crx? any suspension mods?

my h22 LS weighs in at 1170 with full interior..

The car has koni adjustable suspension all round, with lowered king springs, its got about 2.5-3 degrees negative camber on the front and about 0.6 on the back.