PDA

View Full Version : queston about short shifter

Ek_Civic
04-07-2004, 09:35 PM
hey i was wondering what does it mean when u have a short shift kit??? does this make benifits???? what does it do??????? and how much do they cost???????

Kit
04-07-2004, 10:06 PM
basically when you install a short shift kit, it replaces your gearstick.
the kit will have a shorter gearstick, also with a higher fulcrum (pivot) point. So after you install it, your gear shift throw will be shorter, but stiffer.

I had one in my civic, they were great, felt really tight and precise.
However it took a few days to get used to cos sometimes you wouldnt be sure what gear you were in.

One bad thing I guess about short shifts is that they *can* make you wear out your syncros faster.

Expect to pay $100-ish for a BMC one (US brand short shifter), or 2-300 for a jap brand like C's.

Chris

-MuGen PoWer-
05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
how do u install this??
my one should be arriving real soon

thanx in advance :D

Kit
05-07-2004, 12:36 AM
i'm not sure about EG civic, but i think its the same as the EK civic.

you need to remove the whole gearstick and then replace it with teh new one.

there are a couple of screws that are a real pain to put in. I can't give you the finer details cos I got someone to do it. But if you are willing to give it a shot yourself, it should take about 1 hour, and the exhaust shouldn't need to be touched in the process

alan
05-07-2004, 12:42 AM
y does it make the syncros wear out faster?

Kit
05-07-2004, 12:56 AM
y does it make the syncros wear out faster?

it doesnt specifically make your syncros wear out faster, but it *can* make your syncros wear out faster due to the way you drive as a result of installing a short shift.

basically, if you are changing gears fast (that is, slamming it into gear), a short shift will have a shorter gear change times than if you had the standard gearstick.

it just means the synchros work harder between gearchanges to match revs, so if you are slamming it into gear alot, then doing it with a short shift will probably shorten the lift of your syncros.

having said that, running a good quality gearbox oil should help alot (elf synthetic, Castrol Syntrax i have both used, and I recommend)

VTi-R Civic
05-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Not trying to start something here, but I don't get how changing gears quickly with a short throw shifter is any more likely to damage the synchros on a gearbox than someone who is doing the same without a short throw shifter.

I would think that operator of the gearstick would have more to do with this (ie: the driver not properly matching revs between shifts) than the gearstick/shifter.

:)

luzinit
05-07-2004, 07:55 PM
well... thats exactly it VTi-R Civic..... with a short shifter kit ur changing FASTER than without.... and thus .. u wear out the syncros quicker each time u slam it into gear!

ie, ur limited with a stock shifter as to how much damage, but with a short shifter, ur doin more damage slammin it !

yeh ! that makes sense.. (i think)

ts0nda
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
its been talked about a couple of times on the forum

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4731&highlight=short+shifter

hope that helps ;)