PDA

View Full Version : A Day At The Races - 1st Time Wakey [Photos]

supersamEK
17-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Drove down to Goulburn yesterday and had a crack at wakefield park for the first time. I learnt alot of new things about my car, parts, my driving and my balls!
Started off the day on my street 17" Kumho SPT tyres and Delphi street pads.
Had about 40psi in all tyres and Flex shocks all on Max.
I was taking it pretty easy in this setup as i didnt have alot of faith in it.
I had my mate timing me with a stopwatch and this first session was pulling times around 1:24.5, and managed to bring it down to 1:22.8 just by having a bit more balls round the corners!

After this session, swapped my pads over for Ferodo DS2500, lowered the front tyre pressure abit and wound down front shocks 6 clicks. This setup, i managed to get down to the 1:20's, i think alot of that was just due to practise and confidence though. These Brakes were so much better and didnt lose any bite at all. tyres turned to mush by now though so thought time to pull out the semi's!

By lunch i had an old set of 16" V700 semis on the car running about 34 psi in all tyres and the same brake and sussy settings. The slicks were amazing. so much more fun! i felt like i was hammering round the track by now, heart was racing whole way round!
The next couple of sessions i had the track pretty well figured out and the best time i managed was a 1:18.3 which i was stoked with and not expectin!
The problem is now i have become addicted...
By the way my car is 175 000km EJ8 Civic Vti running 80kw atw, so pretty happy with her effortsand mine!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/supersamEK/IMGP3141.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/supersamEK/IMGP3142.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/supersamEK/16052007940.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/supersamEK/16052007936.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/supersamEK/16052007938.jpg

Q_ball
17-05-2007, 03:18 PM
1:18...very very good effort for a 1st timer Sam :)
Well done!!

JasonGilholme
17-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Good effort. Tyres, brakes and suspension is where its at! :thumbsup:

EK4R
17-05-2007, 03:44 PM
so you find it better with the front dampers being lower/softer than the rear?

supersamEK
17-05-2007, 04:15 PM
so you find it better with the front dampers being lower/softer than the rear?
well i couldnt quite feel much difference with this setting, except for the back end coming out a fair bit more and being a little unpredicatable at times. But it did allow me to be a bit quicker? so i guess yeah, was better.

supersamEK
18-05-2007, 11:40 AM
wat times have other people got? like first time? improvements? PB's?
just curious to know...

e240
20-05-2007, 08:58 PM
wat times have other people got? like first time? improvements? PB's?
just curious to know...

Wakefield? First time, done maybe 15 laps as part of the Cams Supersprint
- 1:14 in a 1.6l EG....Actually just today...LOL

Tones
20-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I believe that's a 1:14 with 220,000+ kms on the clock :)

e240
20-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I believe that's a 1:14 with 220,000+ kms on the clock :)

Wakefield is soooo far away....glad to see you got home safe.
Rob just rocketed off, i followed a bit and then gave up, just settled on the speed limit and cruised home.

and a clarification, thats 220,000 on the chassis but with new suspensions
and C Pillar bars...LOL .. :-p

Benson
20-05-2007, 10:10 PM
1:18 for a Ej8 and a first timer is an awesome time.

SHIFTY
20-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Dude thats a awesome time u did!!!

hope u had alot of fun and especialy it is good as it wakes alot of ppl up realising that driving on the street fast is not needed as u can just go 2 the track and do it safely and legally :D

First time out for me at wakefield (was a couple of yrs ago now)

in my old civic ek vti sedan (cvt auto :(, 17" falken (bald) tyres, pod filter and muffler) did a 1:21 Lol... pritty slow :(

caint wait 2 take my dc2r

Tones
20-05-2007, 10:39 PM
1.18 is a great laptime. Join the Supersprints to get some official timing! :D

EG5[KRT]
20-05-2007, 11:53 PM
thats awesome time!!! car looks nice as well :D

supersamEK
21-05-2007, 02:16 PM
thanks dudes.
ill have to back up my times at the track day in july. hopefully can be faster! got some more upgrades in the pipeline, cant wait for it.

1.18 is a great laptime. Join the Supersprints to get some official timing! :D
supersprints eh?? interesting? can u tell us bit more bout it? website?

e240
21-05-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks dudes.
ill have to back up my times at the track day in july. hopefully can be faster! got some more upgrades in the pipeline, cant wait for it.
supersprints eh?? interesting? can u tell us bit more bout it? website?

Supersprint are competitive timed events with competitors running against the clock at different tracks (The Typical 4 - Wakefield, Eastern Creek, Oran park GP and Oran Park South)

Each run consist of about 1/2 lap warm up, 3 timed (flying) laps and 1/2 lap cool down. Typically you get about 5 runs per event, so totalling around 15 laps.

Here's an example of 1 of my runs at Eastern Creek, forgive the driving, it was only my second time at that track and my 4th track visit in 12 months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVvKzb-daVY

The competitors are very very competitive in these events, unlike a track day, friendly but competitive and you get to see a very interesting mix of machinary and sounds.

Yesterday's event at Wakefield park saw a lady(!!Yeah!!) winning the championship round of that event with a 1:06 in a Turbo charged MX5

I personally feel that it actually brings out the best in your driving compared to just normal track days because it forces you to think how you can get faster.

If you're interested, the next round is on the 1st of July at Oran Park. Tank, myself and a couple of others are with the Honda Car club NSW, drop me a PM and I'm happy to meet you and show you around. Although, I'm pretty new to the scene myself only having seriously started this year. :p

supersamEK
21-05-2007, 03:07 PM
thanks mate, yeah i just found the honda car club just then!
saw u posting in there. might have a look into it, its exactly what i been looking for. i can see track days becoming a bit boring in terms of excitement.

might drop you a line one day soon about oran park. can you still compete if you've missed previous rounds and do you need to set up your car to pass some sort of scrutineering (tow hooks, numbers)?

e240
21-05-2007, 03:20 PM
can you still compete if you've missed previous rounds and do you need to set up your car to pass some sort of scrutineering (tow hooks, numbers)?

You only need to worry about previous rounds if you're registered in the championship. No, you can join any one, at any time as long as you're a member of a car club and hold an L2S cams license.

As for scrutineering, there are different classes of cars, for a road registered car, you only need to ensure that your car isn't leaking fluids, everything in the engine bay is secured (especially the battery), your car is in good mechanical order, nothing loose in the cockpit, a fire extinguisher and a blue battery sticker. Simple.

supersamEK
21-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Here's an example of 1 of my runs at Eastern Creek, forgive the driving, it was only my second time at that track and my 4th track visit in 12 months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVvKzb-daVY

what kinda car/setup u drivin... ur car seemed to understeer pretty bad at times in that vid or were u just pushin it real hard. just curious.. cool vid though

e240
21-05-2007, 08:02 PM
what kinda car/setup u drivin... ur car seemed to understeer pretty bad at times in that vid or were u just pushin it real hard. just curious.. cool vid though

EG5 B16A

I put the understeer and all the bad shit down to bad driving. At that time, it was only my second time at Eastern Creek with the 1st about 5 months ago, with a total of less than 20 laps under my belt. That day, I couldn't get my lines and driving right...

supersamEK
21-05-2007, 08:57 PM
fair enough. i know wat its like.
but thats wat its all about hey!

Tones
21-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Come join us at the supersprints. You don't necessarily need a "competitive" car as there are so many classes (based on engine size), type (based on modifications) and groups (based on previous *official* lap times) that you're bound to find someone to compare your laptimes with. There's usually 70-80 competitors! The events are run so smoothly that you'll get a run every hour (which is much more than trackdays).

supersamEK
21-05-2007, 10:11 PM
thanks man, yeah im planin on it. paid my membership for the NSW honda club this arvo. will prob see u's at the next event hopefully!

supersamEK
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
i went back to wakefield yesterday for another. was raining unfortunatly when we get there, so track was soaked and hell scary lol. dried up though later on.
i kept getting consistent 1:18's again, even after fitting rear swaybar. dammit cant seem to get faster than 1:18..boo!!
i want to be quicker!

fatboyz39
05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
i went back to wakefield yesterday for another. was raining unfortunatly when we get there, so track was soaked and hell scary lol. dried up though later on.
i kept getting consistent 1:18's again, even after fitting rear swaybar. dammit cant seem to get faster than 1:18..boo!!
i want to be quicker!

Need more power.

98coupevti
05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Good stuff supersamEK, just want 2 ask where did u got your angel eyes projectors from cheers

supersamEK
05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
thanks, ebay

supersamEK
05-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Need more power.
yeah i know i know...:(

m0nty ITR
10-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Wow!!!! Well done.

I was aiming for a 1:18 in my car with semi slicks and Tein Flex coilovers. Still got J's Racing underbody bars and rear strut brace to go in before the trip to Wakefield. I'll be running Project Mu HC Spec fronts and B Spec rears with Project Mu rotors and RE55s.

My car is currently running -1.0 camber for the street. Should I worry about increasing it to around -2.5 for the track with a bit of toe out? I'm just worried about tyre wear on the way down there.