PDA

View Full Version : anyone experienced in taking off euro front bar? Edit: CAI install help

Entity
17-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Went and picked up my Fujita CAI from the post office today, and had a look at what was involved in the installation

i've asked here before and most of you guys tell me i can prolly DIY even though i don't know anything but i'm not sure if i can take the bumper off myself lol

anyone live in south sydney who has done a DIY CAI install (near hurstville) and have some spare time to come help me with the install?? willing to pay!

edit: sorry! mine is 05 base model with no fog lights, so if u are awesome and know how to do it without taking off the front bar then even better!

aaronng
17-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Is yours an 03-05 or an 06-07? Base or Luxury model?

EuroDude
17-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Removing the front bumper is easier than you think. Its not hard once you know how, but there are around ~20 bolts and clips to remove and takes about 15-20 minutes.

There are six steps:
1) remove the black plastic trim at the top of the bumper, its a few bolts and clips.
2) Underneath the bumper, remove the bolts and clips that hold the undershielding to the front bottom edge of the bumper
3) Remove the two bolts from the bumper in the wheel arches
4) Put some cushions/rugs under the bumper so it doesnt get scratched
5) gently pull each side of the bumper outwards to unclip the bumper from the side rails.
6) pull the bumper towards you from the front.

Or you can access the 'inaccessible' AirIntake bolt through the LHS fog light depending on the model, as Aaron will tell you about

EuroDude
17-05-2007, 07:59 PM
All the info you need is here:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46759

E-Gene
17-05-2007, 08:18 PM
This is probably a pretty good picture as to what you need to do to remove your front bar. It varied a little from our car, but all the bolts and clips are pretty much the same.

http://www.pryor-place.com/honda/TSXInj2.gif

Entity
17-05-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah i know there are good instructions on http://www.pryor-place.com/honda/TSXInjenCAI_DIY.htm

but looks fricking complicated.

aaronng
17-05-2007, 10:15 PM
So which model do you have? If you have an 03-05 base model without foglights, you can install it without removing your bumper.

Entity
20-05-2007, 02:56 PM
ok so i have the 05 standard model, and today after much head scratching i took off the fog light cover and figured out where the "hard to get" bolt is.

even if i don't take off the front bumper, i will have to take off the left wheel and fold back the molding to get the pod filter in.

the only thing i dont understand in the instructions is it tells me to:

"Remove vacuum and coolant plenum" after i have install the CAI

i have no idea what that means.. any help?

also, is "crank case breather hose" the same thing as a "splash guard"?

Entity
20-05-2007, 08:44 PM
nvm lol installed it... the resonator box was a HUGE bitch to get out even after i got that "notorious bolt" off.. just because i didnt know the piping can be disconnected.

the cai went in okay, the only problem was the air temp sensor extension was abit short and now it keeps falling out.. so i might need to get some new t clamps to clamp it in better.

aaronng
20-05-2007, 08:50 PM
nvm lol installed it... the resonator box was a HUGE bitch to get out even after i got that "notorious bolt" off.. just because i didnt know the piping can be disconnected.

the cai went in okay, the only problem was the air temp sensor extension was abit short and now it keeps falling out.. so i might need to get some new t clamps to clamp it in better.

Nice, welcome to the world of DIY! :thumbsup:

With the air temp sensor, can you rotate the plastic adapter slightly so that the mounting hole is slightly closer to the sensor?

Entity
20-05-2007, 09:20 PM
the rubber tube is too short, so it keeps falling off....

the INJEN seems to just have a huge rubber tube and ommitted the use of the sensor completely but the Fujita gives a 2.5cm aluminium extension.. but its too short and keeps falling off

i think i'm gonna take a photo and show u guys, might be easier to explain that way.

Entity
20-05-2007, 11:31 PM
bit of an update: took it for a drive and the sensor keeps slipping.. i really need to find a longer tube or something.

unlike INJEN, the fujita doesn't lose power down low, although i think it doesnt have as much gain as the injen up high either i'm more preferential to not losing power down low.

also unlike INJEN, the fujita is abit louder, below 3000rpm u can still hear it, the noise however doesn't really become loud until at least 4000rpm... at 5000rpm it is VERY LOUD.

the sound is probably not as good as some of the sound clips i have heard.. which is a bummer but i guess im just not used to it yet and havent really sat in other CAI modded euros at WOT. but at the moment i dont really feel a loss down low which is good, but at the same time, i dont really feel any gains either :P

corn_flakes
21-05-2007, 01:07 AM
i had an injen cai. i've got the 2006 model so i had to remove the front bar. i've taken on and off numerous times already and can tell u that it's piss easy.

i'm planning to find a k&n typhoon cai now...whenever i get it i will make sure to take photos and do a DIY thread.

anyone know a dealer in australia that can get a k&n intake?

Euro 05 Project
21-05-2007, 07:43 PM
mate auto barn fitted my CAI for $75.00 took 1 hour, take the easy path...comes with warranty.

Euro 05 Project
21-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Standard parts order through the Auto Barn Chain, if your in QLD Springwood store Moss street...Cost $499.00 + 15 shipping + $75 install, very very loud over 4000RPM, Insane after 6500...KN690025TP.

aaronng
21-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Standard parts order through the Auto Barn Chain, if your in QLD Springwood store Moss street...Cost $499.00 + 15 shipping + $75 install, very very loud over 4000RPM, Insane after 6500...KN690025TP.

We need videos!!!!!!

yfin
21-05-2007, 08:31 PM

You got raped on the price. You can order it online for $255AUD plus shipping from the USA.

BusterSonic12
21-05-2007, 08:48 PM
lol fk that's expensive LOL post photos!!

aaronng
21-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Shipping will be an extra AU$70-100 though.

yfin
21-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Shipping will be an extra AU$70-100 though.

Deal! I'll take it. Sure beats $514.

EuroAccord13
21-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Cost me AUD$500 after tax and airfreight when it was first released for the Euro... Now you can pick one up dirt cheap via eBay or our traders...

corn_flakes
21-05-2007, 11:22 PM
yeh i worked out i can get the k&n for about 380 aud shipped...

TRaNz
21-05-2007, 11:43 PM
yeh i worked out i can get the k&n for about 380 aud shipped...

o0o0o Is that the funky K&N Typhoon CAI?, care to share some info for a brutha? :p

Entity
22-05-2007, 05:06 PM
one of the traders were selling the k&n for $335 to your door a few months back before i committed to getting a CAI.

i can say the FUJITA is very different to the INJEN and the K&N, the sound can be heard at 2500rpm easily, and if you go WOT you can hear it VERY loudly from 2000rpm.

the sound however, is of a lower quality than injen/k&n imo from the sound clips that i have heard, but i'm yet to do a proper run so i can't be completely sure.

the only problem is that there is a connecting piece which keeps falling out, i'm not even sure what it is and if its important but i need to reconnect it each time i drive (and it prolly falls out in one minute anyway)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4711/keepsfallingouthx5.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=keepsfallingouthx5.jpg)

aaronng
22-05-2007, 05:41 PM
the only problem is that there is a connecting piece which keeps falling out, i'm not even sure what it is and if its important but i need to reconnect it each time i drive (and it prolly falls out in one minute anyway)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4711/keepsfallingouthx5.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=keepsfallingouthx5.jpg)
That is the intake for the PCV system. Get a longer tube for the part that goes into the metal CAI.

Entity
22-05-2007, 06:08 PM
how important is it and how dangerous is it to drive with it disconnected?

i should take a photo of it disconnected just to show you... i know injen kit supplies a huge long tube but the fujita kit only supplied the little metal extension that you can see between the two clips in that photo.. and its not long enough.

aaronng
22-05-2007, 08:06 PM
how important is it and how dangerous is it to drive with it disconnected?

i should take a photo of it disconnected just to show you... i know injen kit supplies a huge long tube but the fujita kit only supplied the little metal extension that you can see between the two clips in that photo.. and its not long enough.

It sucks air into your crankcase. So either get it connected properly or go to Supercheapauto and buy a $10 breather filter (those small filters people always put on their rocker cover). The 2nd option is not street legal though. So get your tube from autobarn. You can try Clark Rubber too. Get temperature resistant hose.

Entity
22-05-2007, 08:52 PM
will prolonged driving with that bit disconnected cause serious engine failure? it seems to fall off almost immediately after i drive and i drive around normally for 30 mins before i reconnect it.....

yfin
22-05-2007, 09:27 PM
will prolonged driving with that bit disconnected cause serious engine failure? it seems to fall off almost immediately after i drive and i drive around normally for 30 mins before i reconnect it.....

That tube normally will draw filtered air because it obtains the air from the air intake. If it is not connected properly the air entering your engine via the breather tube is not being filtered. So not ideal.

corn_flakes
22-05-2007, 09:55 PM
335 for the k&n?

which trader was this?

corn_flakes
06-06-2007, 09:28 PM
i just bought the k&n typhoon cai...

just waiting for delivery...:)

will try to post a DIY thread for removing the front bar and installing the intake when i install the CAI.

Suntzu
06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Im also looking at my CAI options . K&N or Injen. Dont want to loose any bottom endso not sure which .

J-TODA
06-06-2007, 09:37 PM

perhaps thats the reason y u are not experiencing any gains??? as it also could be taking in engine heat??

06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Get your self a catch can :D !!

arround 60 bucks you got ur self a bling !!

this how it works
from rocker line that coming out connect to 1 end of catch can
another hose connect to the other end of the catch can
that hose connect to that hole on the pipe :)

or like what aaronng said just get a longer pvc pipe. that should do the trick.

BusterSonic12
06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
i just bought the k&n typhoon cai...

just waiting for delivery...:)

will try to post a DIY thread for removing the front bar and installing the intake when i install the CAI.

wtf... k&n cai... :confused: did u used to use a injen and u didn't like it or something, and u sold your injen and now u getting another loud cai LOL

TRaNz
07-06-2007, 09:10 AM
LoLoL, this thread hopefully should be handy, my K&N Typhoon just came this morning at freakin 8:40am.....wat a wake up call, delivery guy was lookin at my funkz0r hair....RoFL

corn_flakes
07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
haha yeh i had an injen, but got bored of it and sold it...

now i want a cai again so i got the k&n...

tranz, where did u buy your intake from? i had to get mine in the polished colour...wanted a red one! lol

TRaNz
07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Got my K&N off a trader on here, and mines a silver one, not soo much shiney anymore has my hand prints are all over it....LOL

corn_flakes
07-06-2007, 05:42 PM
can i ask how much u got your one for if u don't mind?

i got mine off US ebay...still waiting for shipping. looks like it will take 2-3weeks.

J-TODA
07-06-2007, 08:46 PM
HAHA lol reinstalled my comptech....ahha gets easier and easier each time =]
was a lil loose first time ...so properly redid it...

corn_flakes
07-06-2007, 09:29 PM
^ haha yeh. don't u love the experience? you can install it almost twice as fast the next times around.

J-TODA
07-06-2007, 10:38 PM
haha yer i understand how they say best to have 2 or 3 people LOL!!....front bar was a killer to put back on bymyslef...lucky my lil bro helpd out afterwards LOL!! :p

corn_flakes
07-06-2007, 11:20 PM
haha really? i did it all by myself...

just use your knees/feet/legs to support it...LOL

J-TODA
08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
ok ok upp kinda off topic bt yer...was driving 2day...and if ur in sydney u know how its full pouring...i took a look at funnel bit of the comptech...seems to have water droplets on it...shouold i be worried..do something about ti???btw the cover next to my foglight is off

just worried that it might drown * unsure terminology hydrolock or something * so yer fanx =]

corn_flakes
08-06-2007, 11:33 PM
haha i was driving home from work at night...was in the left hand lane and hit a big puddle of water i didn't see....

and i was just thinking about hydrolock...:(....i will be covering up the gaps in my fender guard so i don't get splashes of water in there...

Suntzu
08-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Im thinking in the last 10 years for me hydrolock is about 0.000412%likely

aaronng
09-06-2007, 12:02 AM
haha i was driving home from work at night...was in the left hand lane and hit a big puddle of water i didn't see....

and i was just thinking about hydrolock...:(....i will be covering up the gaps in my fender guard so i don't get splashes of water in there...

Splashing has a much lower chance of hydrolock compared to submerging the filter (which happens when you drive through a deep puddle)

J-TODA
09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
oh ok , yer was jst a lil paranoid with all the rain in syd LOL!! evn parked my car on a down slope so rain wouldnt splash in.... might make vents or air holes within cover...

yfin
09-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Your filter will get very dirty if you leave that fog cover completely exposed. The Icebox filter is pretty basic so you should upgrade it if you want to keep to the standard engine oil change intervals. I went with an ITG and it is fantastic and will protect your engine much more than the Icebox filter.

J-TODA
09-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Your filter will get very dirty if you leave that fog cover completely exposed. The Icebox filter is pretty basic so you should upgrade it if you want to keep to the standard engine oil change intervals. I went with an ITG and it is fantastic and will protect your engine much more than the Icebox filter.

icic....excuse the noobness bt wats ITG??

yfin
09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
icic....excuse the noobness bt wats ITG??

It is a brand of panel filter. It is a thick triple layer hand made filter. Very high levels of filtration and dust load tolerance. Lasts the life of the car. The only down side is it costs $150 but it is worth it if you are keeping the car long term.

The filter than comes with the Icebox is too thin and single layer. It will let lots of fine particles through to the engine. If you change your oil every 5000kms the stock filter is probably ok. For peace of mind I changed to the ITG.

The other thing to do is seal your icebox properly with weatherstripping or fix a stencil to the lid like me.

J-TODA
09-06-2007, 10:41 AM
It is a brand of panel filter. It is a thick triple layer hand made filter. Very high levels of filtration and dust load tolerance. Lasts the life of the car. The only down side is it costs $150 but it is worth it if you are keeping the car long term.

The filter than comes with the Icebox is too thin and single layer. It will let lots of fine particles through to the engine. If you change your oil every 5000kms the stock filter is probably ok. For peace of mind I changed to the ITG.

The other thing to do is seal your icebox properly with weatherstripping or fix a stencil to the lid like me.

ohhh ok....ITGs avaliable like autobarn or woteva?? or need to source or import..prob pick up one as well..

yfin
09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
ohhh ok....ITGs avaliable like autobarn or woteva?? or need to source or import..prob pick up one as well..

You can order it from this company in Australia
http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/itg.php

corn_flakes
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
how does the pod filter on the CAI compare to the stock filter in filtering dust?

Entity
09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
lol i drove into a few puddles last few days, scared the crap out of me.. will keep away from the left lane for the rest of this bad weather.

the thing is, my fuel consumption has sky rocketted, and i haven't even been revving it that much... not sure what the hell is going on =/

yfin
09-06-2007, 08:15 PM
how does the pod filter on the CAI compare to the stock filter in filtering dust?

depends on the filter used