PDA

View Full Version : 8th Gen Issues - Shame on you Honda

Pages : [1] 2

tan18d
17-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Has anyone had issues with their civic? My civic is only 5 months old with 4000kms and I already have a list of issues. Im very surprised and disappointed that a honda this new is having issues. It seems like quality on these cars arent crash hot. I would also expect after a year of the car being released, that they would have improved their production methods.

The issues that I have are

- Drivers window gets stuck - FIXED by honda
- Rattling noise on the left hand side front. Somewhere in the door or dash. Started out with a little noise and I thought it was just some crap we had in the glove box. Now I hear it everytime I go over a bump.
- Cannot open boot with key. It just won't turn.
- the trim around the gear leaver has lifted. This is a manual. It is the right bottom corner closest to the driver. Very crap fitting. This has only appeared recently.

My wife drives this car so it is never thrashed and it sits in the garage. Im very disappointed honda!!

I've owned 3 other hondas and this has got to be the worst.

I'll be taking it to Honda next week to get it fixed and to let them know what I think about their latest product!!

Shimian
17-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear. I too had issues with the driver window not working property. That was it. Its just unlucky. Im pretty sure if you bought any car, theres a chance that something will be wrong. I reckon even if you bought a bentley gt cont. theres a chance something is not right. As long as they fix it promptly and dont f**k u around, im happy

aaronng
17-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Comments in red:

The issues that I have are

- Drivers window gets stuck - FIXED by honda
Honda's fault
- Rattling noise on the left hand side front. Somewhere in the door or dash. Started out with a little noise and I thought it was just some crap we had in the glove box. Now I hear it everytime I go over a bump.
Probably loose wiring behind the glovebox, also Honda's fault for not using enough tape
- Cannot open boot with key. It just won't turn.
Get it fixed under warranty. Things like this just fail sometimes.
- the trim around the gear leaver has lifted. This is a manual. It is the right bottom corner closest to the driver. Very crap fitting. This has only appeared recently.
Is it the entire plastic piece or just the decorative edging? Get it fixed under warranty. If it is the entire trim corner, just push the clip back down.

My wife drives this car so it is never thrashed and it sits in the garage. Im very disappointed honda!!

I've owned 3 other hondas and this has got to be the worst.

I'll be taking it to Honda next week to get it fixed and to let them know what I think about their latest product!!

kn1ghtm4r3
17-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Build quality is lacking. The 8th gen are built in thailand. =9

terryansimon
17-05-2007, 11:43 PM

are they? I was always under the impression that it wasn't. oh well....

but I would think that just because it's made in Thailand doesn't mean that the build quality suffers as a result. unless that's just me being too optimistic.

kn1ghtm4r3
18-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Well i have seen some reviews of other cars built in thai and the reviewer says the build quality is somewhat lacking. ahahah cut costs make profit =9
but i dunno maybe some ppl may disagree.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=11247

only the hybrids i believe are built in jap and then imported here.

tan18d
18-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Is it the entire plastic piece or just the decorative edging? Get it fixed under warranty. If it is the entire trim corner, just push the clip back down.

The trim corner is a seperate piece and when I push it down, it just pops back up. Looks like it must have lost its shape somehow. Definitely something you wouldnt expect in a new car.

One thing Im hesitant about when taking things back to dealers is that they may try to fix something but ultimately bodge it up even worse and then hide it.

gerard
18-05-2007, 06:09 PM
hmmm, looks like you have atypical 8th gen civic problems. I have a 2007 build sports auto and so far (touch wood) is faultless from a build quality perspective.
Though your car is new in owneship, was it perhaps a '06 build?...just curious.

aaronng
18-05-2007, 07:41 PM
One thing Im hesitant about when taking things back to dealers is that they may try to fix something but ultimately bodge it up even worse and then hide it.

If you have warranty and you don't want to make use of it, then what else can we advise you to do?

Aco3n
18-05-2007, 10:50 PM
I've tried to use my warranty before.. to claim on the rattling noise inside both front doors if I turn on the music with some quite bass, very noticeable.. they still insist due to the limitation of the standard speakers, which it is obvious to be some sort of metal noise. Tried 2 times to claim with no result.

Solution: Open your door panel, try to play around with electrical tape to cover area that 'loose'. Add up with a descent sound deadening.. and you should be alright.. but I still get rattling noise tho.. since my door panel can't sealed properly now.. speaker hit the panels.. LOL...

aaronng
19-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Actually, the warranty doesn't cover rattles. It's stated in your service booklet. Any repair for rattles is done by your dealer's goodwill and they are not reimbursed by Honda (unless it is one that has a service bulletin).

Go get your trim and boot fixed under warranty.

chylld
19-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Actually, the warranty doesn't cover rattles. It's stated in your service booklet. Any repair for rattles is done by your dealer's goodwill and they are not reimbursed by Honda (unless it is one that has a service bulletin).

funny that; my passenger front airbag, passenger front seat and engine are rattling. while neither service centre that i've had look at it (hornsby and artarmon) has charged me for looking at them, it is true that they seemed totally disinterested with the usual "can't hear it" or "it's a characteristic sound" excuse... and your post helps to clarify why i keep getting that.

nonetheless: tan18d, you only have 4 faults with your civic. my 12 month old civic has 26 faults (twenty-six) and quite frankly i'm fed up with the build quality and after the next service am going to consider taking legal action unless all the problems are fixed.

NightRyder
19-05-2007, 01:49 PM
If only we were to get the "Made in Japan" models, I'm sure the build quality of japanese made are seamless and worry free.

I saw and sat in the jap build ones in NZ and I have to tell you for some reason (maybe I'm just being stupid) but the 8th Gen civics over there look so much better and the build quality is effortless compared to the ones here.
They even have HID headlights as factory!

They say that any Honda manufacturing plant must meet strict quality standards but still I think the Japanese made ones have a more strict quality standard than the other plants. Even my japanese friend says that the Japanese take pride and effort in building cars and all their products, it's just how they are.

Made in Thailand?...a bit unfortunate.

kikks9
19-05-2007, 03:40 PM
i got my civic sport in 2006 when it first came out.i must say the finishing is very bad... my left side plastic panel on the dash. it is the small panel on the inside of the left hand mirror. you can see ducts on top where i believe air comes out.

it has popped out in hot weather !!

i pop it back in and it keeps popping out in hot weather. took it back to the dealer and they replaced the clips but it popped out again. its cooler now and i have pushed it back in. going to take it to the dealer when i do my 10k service.

the trimming around the linings have come out.... oh well ...i dont drive a lot. i stay in the city and work in the city and I am just about to hit 10k after almost a year. this was very unexpected about honda's quality.

:( i bought the honda because of recommendations from family members. we have been honda buyers for many years. but i think not anymore after this. i was considering the mazda 3 which was made in japan !!! aiyayaya... anyways.......

chylld
19-05-2007, 03:44 PM
the trimming around the linings have come out....

which trimmings/linings are you talking about?

yfin
19-05-2007, 04:13 PM
The Civic is built to a price - there is no doubt about it. But the value is amazing. The 1990 Civic I have as a spare car cost my family $28,000 when it was new on the road. Translate that into 2007 money terms and it is like spending $50,000 on a base model Civic.

The cost of new cars in relative terms to what it was even 10 years ago is unbelievable.

Build quality may not be as good as my 1990 Civic - but you are getting a lot of car for the money. $22k for a base model manual Civic is an absolute bargain - even if you do have to put up with some minor finish issues and rattles. As long as you don't have any major drivetrain or engine problems you should be happy.

yfin
19-05-2007, 04:21 PM
after the next service am going to consider taking legal action unless all the problems are fixed.

Having some experience in this area - I suggest you seriously think about selling the car and getting something else or put up with the dealer efforts to rectify. The time and effort involved in solving these issues through legal avenues is not worth the effort. And lawyers cost money - a cost you are unlikely to recover.

kikks9
19-05-2007, 04:41 PM
look at the grey plastic trim around your doors. the grey plastic cloth trim around the roof section is supposed to be under the darker grey plastic lining. mine does not go under properly and sometimes pop out. it is quite miniscule and does not irritate me as much as the popping panel on my dash but hey .... i paid quite a lot of money for the car ahahah.... i hate the popping dash panel.

which trimmings/linings are you talking about?

ozR18
19-05-2007, 08:48 PM
sigh...anybody knows where the cars made in the thailand factory get sent to besides australia??

aaronng
19-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand.

tan18d
20-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Having some experience in this area - I suggest you seriously think about selling the car and getting something else or put up with the dealer efforts to rectify. The time and effort involved in solving these issues through legal avenues is not worth the effort. And lawyers cost money - a cost you are unlikely to recover.

Good point. Im actually a bit concerned mainly because this is only a 5 mth old car. What happens after 1 year, 3 years, and then after no warranty....

Any issues that occur on a new car spoils the whole point of buying a brand new car. Typically people buy brand new cars to save the hassle of fixing crappy issues that occur in older used cars. This obviously saves alot of time and also money. Hence I bought a new car to save time and money. If I have to continually take the car back for silly repairs that you just expect to work in a new car then it has made my purchasing a brand new car cast ineffective.

I guess I opened this thread to see if anyone else was having issues and also to make others aware of the issues that arise from this new civic. I know complaining to Honda has minimal effect but talking to fellow honda owners surely works. Word of mouth is alot more effective than advertising......

tan18d
20-05-2007, 10:06 PM
funny that; my passenger front airbag, passenger front seat and engine are rattling. while neither service centre that i've had look at it (hornsby and artarmon) has charged me for looking at them, it is true that they seemed totally disinterested with the usual "can't hear it" or "it's a characteristic sound" excuse... and your post helps to clarify why i keep getting that.

nonetheless: tan18d, you only have 4 faults with your civic. my 12 month old civic has 26 faults (twenty-six) and quite frankly i'm fed up with the build quality and after the next service am going to consider taking legal action unless all the problems are fixed.

Mate! I feel for you. This is the first time I have bought a new car so maybe Im feeling a bit tight in regards to quality but you definetely have big issues with 26 faults. I might just stick to subaru again... Ive owned 2 subies and they were perfect. My last 3 hondas were great too. My 2 nissans were ok. Toyotas, I need not say anything.

chylld
20-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Mate! I feel for you. This is the first time I have bought a new car so maybe Im feeling a bit tight in regards to quality but you definetely have big issues with 26 faults. I might just stick to subaru again... Ive owned 2 subies and they were perfect. My last 3 hondas were great too. My 2 nissans were ok. Toyotas, I need not say anything.

27 now.

yeah subies are great, the gf has one (gx) and every chance i get i drive it instead of the civic.

yourfather
20-05-2007, 10:26 PM

that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

just cuz its made in thailand does not mean jack shit.

there are less problems with thailand sourced hondas than australian sourced fords and holdens.

clem
21-05-2007, 01:35 PM
that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

just cuz its made in thailand does not mean jack shit.

there are less problems with thailand sourced hondas than australian sourced fords and holdens.

Too right, its sourced to Thailand but doesn't mean they don't have to pass all of the tests and expectations that they would have in place if they were built in Japan. They are experiencing more faults because its a newly designed car, they tried out many daring designs on this 8th gen most noticably the size of the car, whereas Toyotas just keep their existing base and add shit to it, typical of Toyota when it comes to design. Have you seen their new corolla? its basically their current one mixed in with the yaris in a blender.

chylld
21-05-2007, 01:41 PM
i also think it's wrong to blame thailand in such a general manner; after all, there are other cars that come from thailand that are perfectly fine (other Hondas iirc?)

however with my car personally i have reason to suspect that the people at the assembly plant weren't exactly concentrating 100%... the door trim panels were stuck on with the plastic wrapping still on the clips (and visibly protruding out the side of the door.) also i had packaging string loosely attached to the undersides of both my front seats (the thin pink type) and the rubber grommet/stopper thing for the centre console box lid was missing and the same for the glovebox was loose and almost falling out...

possibly my car went through during their lunch break though

clem
21-05-2007, 02:19 PM
I guess you were one of the unlucky one's. The only real noticable problem that has been consistent with the 8thgen's is the driver/passenger windows getting stuck. My sis'ters 06 VTi had that issue and no other issues have arose. Other than that its a nice car at a decent price compared to it's competitors.

I mean half the people who bought their 8th gen civics would not have bought them say if they were built in japan BUT...

A) You wouldn't be paying 20,990 retail.
B) Cruise-control, v-tec, etc would be OPTIONAL not standard (like previous models).

Lets face the fact that Honda didn't entirely keep all the savings they made from sourcing to Thailand, they passed it onto you, the consumer. A typical civic would not come in vtec standard so you save like 3k there (thats based from the 7th gen difference in GLi and Vi models)

People bought this Thailand built car mainly for value for money.

So for all you people out there who are lashing out at Honda for having 'Made In Thailand' cars, stop your bitching. It was your own fault for not making sure it wasn't built in Japan in the first place before buying it.

Don't blame Honda for not building their cars in Japan anymore, it's just not feasible for them and it's just not the smart thing to do anymore. Honda is known for being a very efficient company, so making the move to Thailand was a smart one. I'm sure they are aware of these defective parts that are occurring, they wouldn't just let it slip. Their presence in Thailand is still pretty premature, so they will tighten their regulations in the production line in future and improvements will be made.

tan18d
21-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I think another contribution for these little faults are that this thing is a top seller!! They are rolling these cars straight off the production line and into your driveway. Im not sure if they expected these things to sell this well.

yourfather
21-05-2007, 05:05 PM
i dunno if you guys have studied much history and what not, but Japan used to be another one of those nations that you'd cringe at for build quality.

If it was made in Japan then you would not want to buy it. It took the modernization of Japan to make it worth anything

siu789
22-05-2007, 12:57 AM
I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM AS U ...
Drivers window gets stuck - FIXED by honda
Honda's fault
Probably loose wiring behind the glovebox, also Honda's fault for not using enough tape

ozR18
22-05-2007, 03:10 AM
for fu** sake..it can be built in any part of of the world...just deliver a bloody decent quality car!

Honda has been around for many years and godsake they even compete in F1..so i guess 8th gen civic owners demand a bloody explanation for all this faults!

its been a year and a half since it rolled out the 8th gen civc..and to find the same niggling issue is seriously a fault in the QA/QC department.

btw guys..i just send in my feedback form which ive not been able to do since i got the car..i managed to include some of the problems that im experiencing currently. i hope someone hears us!!!

i guess mine rolled out during lunch time as well...

xenfacta
22-05-2007, 11:57 AM
the only issue ive had is the front window issue (fixed under warranty) and a minor creak on the fitting around the tranny. that is more likely due to my audion upgrade. very happy with it so far. sad to hear other ppls stories

jeffske
22-05-2007, 12:53 PM
if you want quality get a lexus
if you want perceived quality, get a honda

aaronng
22-05-2007, 02:18 PM
if you want quality get a lexus
if you want perceived quality, get a honda

You got it wrong.

If you want quality, Pay $60,000 for a $30,000 jap car.
If you want adequate quality with rattles included, pay $29,990 for a $30,000 Jap car (my made in Japan car also has the same rattles).

jeffske
22-05-2007, 06:00 PM
You got it wrong.

If you want quality, Pay $60,000 for a $30,000 jap car.
If you want adequate quality with rattles included, pay $29,990 for a $30,000 Jap car (my made in Japan car also has the same rattles).

how is a lexus a $30,000 jap car? where can i get a lexus brand new for $30,000? you cannot
and anyone who pays $30,000 for a car and expects it to be perfect then they're very much mistaken.
i just ignore the rattles, yes i know they're really annoying but i cant complain because i knew what i was buying when i put down the money

aaronng
22-05-2007, 06:09 PM
how is a lexus a $30,000 jap car? where can i get a lexus brand new for $30,000? you cannot
and anyone who pays $30,000 for a car and expects it to be perfect then they're very much mistaken.
i just ignore the rattles, yes i know they're really annoying but i cant complain because i knew what i was buying when i put down the money
I meant, if you pay $30,000 for a car that costs $30,000 to mechanically build, there will be quality niggles. If you pay $60,000 for it, the extra money goes into the selection of better materials as well as better care in assembly, resulting in a car similar to Lexus in quality.

jeffske
22-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I meant, if you pay $30,000 for a car that costs $30,000 to mechanically build, there will be quality niggles. If you pay $60,000 for it, the extra money goes into the selection of better materials as well as better care in assembly, resulting in a car similar to Lexus in quality.

you need to take into account the superior technology in a lexus, sound deadening, better suspension, advanced safety

all im trying to say is, dont expect lexus quality when paying honda prices

aaronng
22-05-2007, 08:09 PM
you need to take into account the superior technology in a lexus, sound deadening, better suspension, advanced safety

all im trying to say is, dont expect lexus quality when paying honda prices

It depends on the model, but the Accord Euro's stock suspension is still superior to the IS200 and IS250's suspension. But the Lexus models with air suspension > most stock Honda's. And the extra $30,000 you pay goes to sound deadening, better safety like those radars in the IS250 as well as to pay the staff at the Lexus service centre (they come out to you in at least an IS250) if you need to send your IS250 for servicing.

chylld
23-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I meant, if you pay $30,000 for a car that costs $30,000 to mechanically build, there will be quality niggles.

you have a point, but still, $30000 is a big investment for a lot of people, and with it comes certain expectations. i've owned 3 new cars before this civic: a $29k corolla, a $28k astra and a $18k getz. none of these cars had more than 2-3 problems in their entire history. then i spend $37k on a honda civic and i get 27 problems (twenty-seven).

my point is that while it is fair to only expect so much given the manufacturer's sale price / build price ratio, there does exist a limit as to how low those expectations have to be.

jeffske
23-05-2007, 07:26 AM
you have a point, but still, $30000 is a big investment for a lot of people, and with it comes certain expectations. i've owned 3 new cars before this civic: a $29k corolla, a $28k astra and a $18k getz. none of these cars had more than 2-3 problems in their entire history. then i spend $37k on a honda civic and i get 27 problems (twenty-seven).

my point is that while it is fair to only expect so much given the manufacturer's sale price / build price ratio, there does exist a limit as to how low those expectations have to be.

you just have to take into account that big companies are looking to make the most amount of profit, this means outsourcing their plants in places like thailand and still charging their premium prices
and do civics cost freakin' $37k !! SIF get one

aaronng
23-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Well, I can tell you that we have a 2001 Astra, and it has been all big problems. We've had fuel dripping into the cylinder when the car was off (and it wouldn't start the next day), the ignition barrel failed and we couldn't turn the key. The tow truck had to DRAG the car sideways from the road side because the transmission was locked in P and the steering was locked too. Plus we have a loud knocking sound going over bumps, which sounds like a dead shock on the rear left (but the shock is still working fine!).

With cars in this price range, there are always nuggets which get out. If you want a car with 100% perfect build quality then you have to spend up. When you get to cars like BMW which cost $60,000 and you pay that $60,000 for them, you get problems again like their famous electrical faults.

FlyingChicken
23-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess buying a new car is always hit and miss unless your buying the new Lexus LS460 which are all individually tested, especially for small clinks and sounds =P. So far, our '07 vti-l been treating me nicely, no problems.

dmx
23-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I guess buying a new car is always hit and miss unless your buying the new Lexus LS460 which are all individually tested, especially for small clinks and sounds =P. So far, our '07 vti-l been treating me nicely, no problems.

agree! For 100 unit, one faulty is common mate.
mine also have noise between left front door and left wheel area.
but what can i expect with this under 30k car ?

chylld
23-05-2007, 08:28 PM
When you get to cars like BMW which cost $60,000 and you pay that $60,000 for them, you get problems again like their famous electrical faults.

for some reason this sentence made things go 'click' in my head. i remember when i was choosing which car to buy, i compared lists of features whilst considering the price of the car... which made the civic look real good on paper, especially since it had sunroof, leather, mp3, paddle shift etc. (things i was looking for.) essentially, a large part of my selection was based on value, a word which i stupidly only now realise doesn't always go hand in hand with quality.

of course now in retrospect, approaching things so objectively was probably a mistake... rubbed in by the fact that i never use the sunroof nor the paddle shift and don't like how my passengers and myself slide around on the leather.

LXRY
28-05-2007, 05:26 AM
I have a euro lxry o6......what can I say hopeless, riddled with problems rattles, drifting etc...big list to much to mention.

Mazda6 mazda3 not as impressive or value for money abit out dated, but there sales figures say it all, shit all over Hondas sales figure.....Gee wonder why?

It all boils down too sales figures -good cars, good figures....If figures down cut corners they must make money......we suffer

The car industry tight, too much competition.

Good marketing works for a short time....it's about the product at the end of the day.

not impressed either...
:thumbdwn:

E-Honda
28-05-2007, 10:43 AM
hrmmm....what was the slogan in the ad again?

was it?...."theres never been a car that feels so complete"

chylld
28-05-2007, 11:54 AM
hrmmm....what was the slogan in the ad again?

was it?...."theres never been a car that feels so complete"

"and here's your boot lining which we forgot to put in."

aaronng
28-05-2007, 12:38 PM
"and here's your boot lining which we forgot to put in."

The boot lining is a luxury option in south east asia. I guess Honda Australia forgot to negotiate that they wanted the boot lining as well.

Arcturus
15-06-2007, 12:36 PM
New user here so I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I think this is the most appropriate thread to bring this up.

I'm looking at buying a new 07 civic vti-l, am I likely to face similar issues discussed in this thread, or do most of you have the 06 model?

clem
15-06-2007, 01:08 PM
To be honest, your chances of getting more than 3 or 4 faults is very slim. There are only a select few people who have come across these faults and it really depends on what you would consider a 'fault'. If you are really picky then you must initially thoroughly check out the entire car for any interior faults before they roll it out for you or even shake their hand and seal the deal.

This guy who had 20+ 'faults' including 'string hanging out from the bottom of the seat' or watever I personally do not find that as a fault and its just overkill to call half of those things 'faults' when its obvious that he's just putting them there just to make a big deal out of the number of 'faults' he has.

The most common faults that these cars have are obviously the power windows are messing up or the car door doesn't close properly. Other than that its a sweet value for money car and you pay for what you get. Just don't have high expectations of quality and you won't be disappointed :)

UNLS1
15-06-2007, 02:08 PM
its a great car and great value for money! If it was sorced from japan lots of u would complain ahhh its too expensive blah blah blah.

Its fantastic value for money, i have driven the tiida, focus, mazda 3 ect and they all have their faults but the civic to me is still the best looking and best value for money.

I just ordered my mrs a Civic Sport, i wasnt biast when i helped her find a car for her coz i work for honda, it was the price and value that sold it to her, none of the other cars came close.

P.s the build quality for the new CTR from london is brilliant only a few small things are bad like plastic fuel door.

lol get a commodore and falcon built in Oz and make a massive line faults! Id take the thia built civic over an aus built car anyday! and i love my holdens and V8s!

xenfacta
15-06-2007, 02:10 PM
im a very picky person with cars and went in with high expectation coz of family and friends with hondas saying how good they are and i havent been disappointed... a couple of minor issue like the window but thats it... very happy with the car, esp. consideringi ts a part of the first series, which always has more problems

andyhui01
15-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm another happy owner, apart from the door not closing properly, I'm very very satisfied with the build quality, obviously I'm not going to compare it to my parents Lexus, but for a cheap ~30k car, I would say we're getting what we pay for.

so Arcturus, you have nothing to worry about the build quality, I can bet you I can dig up threads of people complaining about the built quality of almost any mass produced car, you and I know we all don't work at 100% all the time, some times things just screw up.

simonnowis
15-06-2007, 03:06 PM
there seems to be alot of issues with the 8th gen civic. maybe because they are made in thailand. i guess a car the japs really know their car better then the thai's. anyway, i had the same issue with driver and passenger window getting stuffed up. got fixed by honda dealer. seems to be common.

NeoNode
15-06-2007, 03:48 PM
It's not that there's alot of issues, it's more the fact people tend to remember the bad more than the good

aaronng
15-06-2007, 04:43 PM
there seems to be alot of issues with the 8th gen civic. maybe because they are made in thailand. i guess a car the japs really know their car better then the thai's. anyway, i had the same issue with driver and passenger window getting stuffed up. got fixed by honda dealer. seems to be common.

The Japanese-built Civic also has the window problem. :)

dmx
15-06-2007, 06:33 PM
New user here so I apologise if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I think this is the most appropriate thread to bring this up.

I'm looking at buying a new 07 civic vti-l, am I likely to face similar issues discussed in this thread, or do most of you have the 06 model?
buying a car like buying a electronics stuff. sometimes from 1000 got 1 faulty.
it's common.mine looks ok (so far :)
sometimes "luck" play an important role in this life.Just pray :D :D :D

xenfacta
15-06-2007, 07:05 PM
its not that there are a lot of issues.... there are one or two known issues, one if which is covered anyway.... generally, people with a dud or that are unhappy are more vocal.... u dont see many "i've had my car for a year and i love it" threads...

chylld
15-06-2007, 07:19 PM
There are only a select few people who have come across these faults

i was selected?

This guy who had 20+ 'faults' including 'string hanging out from the bottom of the seat' or watever I personally do not find that as a fault and its just overkill to call half of those things 'faults' when its obvious that he's just putting them there just to make a big deal out of the number of 'faults' he has.

topic detailing the 20+ faults with my civic: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67596

every one of those issues, except the string one, i have a problem with. i showed them to the service manager and the district manager, and both of them agreed that i have reason to be concerned about the quality and safety of the car, and that i shouldn't have any of these problems in the first place. amongst myself, a district manager, a service manager and you, you are the only one who doesn't recognise the fact that i've been handed a bit of a lemon.

The most common faults that these cars have are obviously the power windows are messing up or the car door doesn't close properly. Other than that its a sweet value for money car and you pay for what you get.

i like the way your message rounds itself off... "you have to be picky for your car to be as defective as this guy's, you won't have any problems, oh except for the windows and the doors." i should clarify for Arcturus here: for some owners, the problem with the window is that it might physically dislodge itself from its rails and stick out of the car. unless clem is referring to the other problem with the windows where the auto-up function fails (window comes right back down.) scott's honda artarmon has recognised both these issues.

another problem that might soon be an addition to the 'common problems list' will be the engine mount which is already recognised as a problem in america and will soon be recognised as a problem here. it concerns the right-side engine mount and applies to both 1.8L and 2.0L civics. the relevant tsb# is 06-060; a replacement engine mount is available under warranty.

Just don't have high expectations of quality and you won't be disappointed :)

i will agree with this point. my standards were set by a hyundai getz, and i was disappointed... my bad.

chylld
15-06-2007, 07:24 PM

now to answer your question: it is impossible to say. you may get a flawless civic, or you may get a civic that has even more flaws than mine. all anyone on these forums can do is state the facts and experiences available to them, upon which you will have to make the final decision yourself.

i should also add that at the same time my civic was in for its 4th warranty service (in less than a year), there was another person in at the same dealer with a similarly faulty civic. could just be coincidence.

~Sp33~
15-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Just to stir things up a little:

http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Honda+Scores+High+Marks+in+JD+Power+Quality+Survey

Civic scored well. When you design something brand new like the 8th gen civic your going to get minor flaws that are un-seeable on paper and are only really recognizable after thousands of examples are released to the public. The 8th gen will eventually get a series 2 and from there quality will improve.

On a side note, the new commodore is having a fair few problems too, all new design, all new problems they hadnt faced before in previous editions.

chylld
15-06-2007, 08:21 PM
good point and well made. new cars are bound to have more problems as they're 'teethed' into the market... my car was one of the first few hundred out in aus.

one point i didn't make in my previous message is that my problems are actually being resolved. improvements seen in series 2/3/4/etc. often come about because of problems realised in earlier series. the current model is still a new car, but in about a year or so i would expect the problems to be ironed out. my car is obviously playing a part in that process.

i was actually lucky in that the batch of civics just before mine had problems with the power steering failing (campaign #TE094L06)

andyhui01
15-06-2007, 10:03 PM
now to answer your question: it is impossible to say. you may get a flawless civic, or you may get a civic that has even more flaws than mine. all anyone on these forums can do is state the facts and experiences available to them, upon which you will have to make the final decision yourself.

i should also add that at the same time my civic was in for its 4th warranty service (in less than a year), there was another person in at the same dealer with a similarly faulty civic. could just be coincidence.

We understand that your civic has 27 flaws but could I just ask, would you say that this can happen on any car regardless of its make? Obviously the chances are less as the prices go up, but couldn't this happen on any car? My point is sometimes people just get Lemons and dealers will try to rectify this as much as they can, this is a fact of life.

gr1d
16-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Don't forget the annoying rattles that comes from front passenger side/glove box/steering wheel...I reckon that's the common issue too... Bought a brand spanking new car, take your gf/families/friends for a spin, then trrr trrr...tac tac tac...drrrt.drrrrrrrrrt...tic tac...trr trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt....what's that noise???? oh, it's nothing guys, I just need to turn my radio volume up to 15...taadaaaa..no more rattle..

chylld
16-06-2007, 07:38 AM
We understand that your civic has 27 flaws but could I just ask, would you say that this can happen on any car regardless of its make? Obviously the chances are less as the prices go up, but couldn't this happen on any car? My point is sometimes people just get Lemons and dealers will try to rectify this as much as they can, this is a fact of life.

absolutely, it could happen on any car, regardless of the price.

one of the main reasons i was annoyed so much was that i expected a $30k honda to have a higher standard of quality than a $15k hyundai, and apparently even those expectations were out of line.

of course the problems themselves are only part of the situation... how the dealer / service centre resolves them is the other part. again, in my experience, honda has been a bit of a let-down here compared to hyundai.

this is all beside the fact that i have never heard of another new car with as many problems, no matter how big or small.

clem
17-06-2007, 12:53 PM
chylld, my post was not intended to take a shot at you, but to simply answer someones query to whether or not he should purchase this car. Due to your relentless Honda quality bashing posts, it would clearly deter anyone who reads them from purchasing a Honda.

I should have reworded my select few, It didn't mean that you were selected, it meant that you were one of the unfortunate people who were singled out on getting a decent civic. Sure, I feel for you because you purchased a new car expecting it to be of decent quality and the faults came to you unexpectedly and you were messed about by the service department who didn't seem to give a rats about your problems. This is unacceptable, but it really depends on which service dept had taken your car, i'm sure other dealers are happy to help.

This experience should not stop people from purchasing a new civic, but should help them be more aware of what sort of troubles they may come by, and may help them resolve the issues the way you did. Sorry if I've offended you.

It is apparent that the majority of 8th gen civic owners who received their car are almost 100% satisfactory with it and only ever came across the odd issue of power window/doors jamming. I'm stating this from first hand experience as I was one of the people who managed to get one as soon as it came out, and I have a few other friends who also have the earlier model, they hadn't come across any of the problems that you have, so its kind of unfair to claim that honda has 'shit' quality overall.

LXRY
17-06-2007, 02:19 PM
chylld your entitled to your opinion.

I doubt you are the only one dissasisfied with your civic, as ozhonda represents a small portion of civic owners.

I too am a little disappointed not only with the quality but with Honda Australia. Customer Satisfaction....pfffftt.

Problems with your car should be fixed straight away NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

The car industry is changing dramatically, competition is fierce throughout the industry.

Every new designed car when first introduced into the market has faults. If you want a reiable car then veer towards models which have been around for a while.....these models recieve makeover's every year they are released and problems fixed aswell from previous years.

Arcturus
17-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I'm taking the Civic for a test drive tomorrow and am still leaning that way (the new Corolla is a possibility, but I'm still in favour of the Civic). One of the biggest factors for me is its fuel economy, and i'm looking for something relatively spacious in a small car (although IMO it's a medium car). The Mazda 3 looks good but its economy isn't as good, so that only leaves me with the Corolla.

Hopefully many of these common issues have been resolved in the 2007 model, i'm wondering if anyone has experienced them with a Civic they bought recently?

chylld
17-06-2007, 06:53 PM
... its kind of unfair to claim that honda has 'shit' quality overall.

no offence taken clem. one thing i will point out is that i never said that honda has shit quality overall... i only just said what's wrong with my car and how my experience with honda has been; if that conveys a negative image for Honda, then that's Honda's fault.

fyi, if you haven't been following my main thread, the problems with my car are actually getting fixed, albeit very slowly and only after a lot of repeat visits. once i am sure of the fix to each problem i will post up a new thread detailing each problem, the symptoms, and how honda (or myself) resolved the problem, with whatever warranty info i find applicable (part numbers etc.)

that way no one else will have to go through the same trouble that i did.

aaronng
17-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Just to stir things up a little:

http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/News/Honda+Scores+High+Marks+in+JD+Power+Quality+Survey

Civic scored well. When you design something brand new like the 8th gen civic your going to get minor flaws that are un-seeable on paper and are only really recognizable after thousands of examples are released to the public. The 8th gen will eventually get a series 2 and from there quality will improve.

On a side note, the new commodore is having a fair few problems too, all new design, all new problems they hadnt faced before in previous editions.
If that survey was done in the US, then it is not the same model as the FD1 and FD2. They are a different design and also manufactured in a different factory.

clem
17-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, sorry, I know it wasn't you who said and implied that Honda had shit quality, it was mainly directed at the fence sitters who, after reading about a few faults and complaints automatically label the 8th gen as a poorly constructed car.

w8eyes
17-06-2007, 07:40 PM
i have a '07 model civic, sydney based abt 6months old n 11000kms. only problem thats worth mentioning is the windows.. its been fixed quite easily n quickly. the problem is that the rubber lining on the window gets dry and therefore cause too much friction and the windows gets stuck. all they did when i took it to fix was, get some oil based lubricants and it was fixed... 5mins.

also another problem was when i first got the car, there was a squeeling noise from the rear.. i found out about the problem when i did my 10k service they said that the breaks are been treated too nice(i break to lightly), so the break pads becomes shiny and therefore the noise, so during the service they deglazed it and problem fixed....

no problems with the car other than that..

a 30k car with vtec, stock 3.5mm audio jack, and stylish looking car... reliable service, WHY NOT?!?!?!

not to mention ive heard heaps of problem with the passenger windows... n they not all from honda, seems like most of the japanese company cars have the same problems, after hearing those from friends... i guess its fair to get 1 or 2 minor problems~

chylld
23-06-2007, 09:07 AM
my car is finally fixed now :) (thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67596))

interestingly the airbag wasn't installed properly at the factory, which was the cause of one of the most annoying rattles. certainly worth getting that one checked out.

chockz
23-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Hmm...

somewhere in the post, said that the 8th Gen Civics were made in Thailand...
i have one back in singapore (similiar to civic sport but it's called Si back home) that's made in japan...true false?

anyway, i feel that the major problems with the 8th Gen besides those stated, the windscreen's frame is too big and it blocks ur view...
and...u're driving a ball...

did anyone realize the steering wheel looks like a Fallopian tube, and the auto shift knob looks like a *ahem* di*k head...

talk abt ergonomics...

chock

LXRY
23-06-2007, 12:06 PM
my car is finally fixed now :) (thread (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67596))

interestingly the airbag wasn't installed properly at the factory, which was the cause of one of the most annoying rattles. certainly worth getting that one checked out.

Good to hear you problems solved ;)

Datuk
01-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Build quality is lacking forsure!

buddah51au
17-07-2007, 04:19 PM
After reading this complete thread i have not seen 1 listing of a serious problem, they are just minor glitches that can happen with any new vehicle. Not 1 Engine or Gearbox related issue.
1 problem everyone complains about is the sticky power windows, to me this is a maintanance issue that owners should be taking care of. The rubber window channels tend to dry out due to rain...washing cars......being out in the weather....etc. How hard is it for people to have a can of silicon spray in their shed....every few months just wind the windows down & give the rubber channels a spray.....end of issue....no more problems....part of the normal upkeep of a car.
As for being buit in Thailand......a non issue these days. How about the 3 series BMW being built in South Africa, or Mercedes having some of their auto transmissions built in the Philippines.
As a value for money car i dont believe the civic can be beaten....cheap purchase price.....great resale value.....excellent reliability & fuel consumption....i dont know of another car in this class that could average 7.06L/100km over 22,000km.....i still find the ecconomy hard to believe.
For you people who think you have a few problems try buying a new Commodore or Falcon & see how you go. I have yet to hear of any Honda having the engine replaced after 1200 kms

buddah51au
17-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Let me add to my last posting by saying that while i believe the Civic to be a very good vehicle over all there are 2 problems in my view that are serious safety flaws.
1. The blind spot caused by the A Pillars is extreemly bad, and it is a design problem that cant be easily overcome. But i also believe it is a problem that will find its way into other vehicles as manufacturers strive to meet new crash worthiness laws.
2. Headlights...very poor range....high beam is good for approximately 100 meters. I eventually overcame this problem by fitting a pair of Lightforce "170" Driving Lights. I can now see at night, however i believe it distracts from the look of the car.

denot
17-07-2007, 05:02 PM
1 problem everyone complains about is the sticky power windows, to me this is a maintanance issue that owners should be taking care of. The rubber window channels tend to dry out due to rain...washing cars......being out in the weather....etc. How hard is it for people to have a can of silicon spray in their shed....every few months just wind the windows down & give the rubber channels a spray.....end of issue....no more problems....part of the normal upkeep of a car.
Well.. we dont have to do this with most of other car (and previous model of Civics) that cost us $35K...

chylld
17-07-2007, 07:05 PM
buddah51au i assume u haven't read through my problems list then. my car had numerous serious problems such as an improperly installed airbag, an unstable passenger seat (the whole frame of which was found faulty and had to be replaced), a faulty engine mount and a driver's door that wouldn't close properly. i also wouldn't call having to stop the car and walking 20 metres back up the road to pick up the exhaust finishers that fell off "routine maintenance."

that said i do agree with your comments on the a-pillars and headlights, although the former being a little too fat and the latter being a little too dim pale in comparison to some of the problems i and some other owners have had.

Well.. we dont have to do this with most of other car (and previous model of Civics) that cost us $35K...

heck... you don't even need to do this on a car that costs half that much.

buddah51au
17-07-2007, 07:14 PM

I can assure you that this has been done during regular workshop service for the last 39 years i have been a mechanic. Obviously poer windows havn't been around that long but it was still an issue on several models with lubricating manual window guides. The current move from felt guides to rubber guides has many benefits, but the downside is they need to be lubricated.....occasionally

buddah51au
17-07-2007, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=chylld;1260340]buddah51au i assume u haven't read through my problems list then. my car had numerous serious problems such as an improperly installed airbag, an unstable passenger seat (the whole frame of which was found faulty and had to be replaced), a faulty engine mount and a driver's door that wouldn't close properly. i also wouldn't call having to stop the car and walking 20 metres back up the road to pick up the exhaust finishers that fell off "routine maintenance."

that said i do agree with your comments on the a-pillars and headlights, although the former being a little too fat and the latter being a little too dim pale in comparison to some of the problems i and some other owners have had.

heck... you don't even need to do this on a car that costs half that much.

Listing a chrome exhaust finisher falling off as a serious problem is just :eek:

a minor adjustment of the door strker plate

improper installation of an air bag??? how could anyone pass that comment unless an aibag failed to deploy when needed......if that happened there would be many major problems

a seat frame & engine mount.....ok.....a headache but still not a serious problem

chylld
17-07-2007, 08:13 PM
i find your opinions quite amusing; nonetheless, you are entitled to them :)

with all things said and done though, it all boils down to what constitutes a warranty issue that Honda Australia is willing to fix, and what is not. improperly installed airbags, faulty engine mounts and unstable seat frames were all admitted to me by a honda district manager as valid reasons for concern for the safety of the vehicle, and were fixed under warranty as such, along with the other real problems that i had such as the aforementioned parts falling off onto the road.

i'd like to see what honda's response to your "my a-pillars are too thick" and "my headlights are too dim" complaints would be! :D

buddah51au
17-07-2007, 08:45 PM
i find your opinions quite amusing; nonetheless, you are entitled to them :)

with all things said and done though, it all boils down to what constitutes a warranty issue that Honda Australia is willing to fix, and what is not. improperly installed airbags, faulty engine mounts and unstable seat frames were all admitted to me by a honda district manager as valid reasons for concern for the safety of the vehicle, and were fixed under warranty as such, along with the other real problems that i had such as the aforementioned parts falling off onto the road.

i'd like to see what honda's response to your "my a-pillars are too thick" and "my headlights are too dim" complaints would be! :D

there is no such thing as a perfect car and i new about those 2 issues prior to buying it. 1 problem easily solved as well.

some people in this world could spemd several hundred thousand dollars on a new rolls royce and still not be happy, let alone $30,000 on a basic reliable everyday car and expect it to be the equivelent of the rolls.

i have now had 3 hondas and over 1,000,000km without a major problem. not too many vehicle brands could do that

~Sp33~
17-07-2007, 09:48 PM

They'd probably tell you to F#@k off and quit your whinging. lol.

Jazzle
17-07-2007, 10:24 PM
improper installation of an air bag??? how could anyone pass that comment unless an aibag failed to deploy when needed......if that happened there would be many major problems

a seat frame & engine mount.....ok.....a headache but still not a serious problem

if the airbag was installed properly, im sure honda would never allow any warranty requests to be claimed, that means honda does admit there is a problem themselves isn't it?? you really want chylld to prove it the hard way?? haha

a seat frame,, hmm.. may be ok, but faulty engine mount can cause big trouble if it gets serious... heard of the mazda3 mps having their engines falling off while the cars are moving on the road due to faulty engine mount??

although i THINK i can bear with some of chylld's complaints, it's obvious that chylld has bought a lemon from honda. of coz it's easy for people who bought a quality honda (like myself with the jazz) to say people are expecting too much, but you gotta admit 1/1000 honda produced (which is very very normal) could be a lemon and whoever bought that deserves some supports and sympathy. :)

Setanta
17-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I guess that regardless of the money you spent, you have the right to expect quality from the manufacturer. Nowhere did you sign a document saying that the car would be sub-standard and that you would load up with preparation H and take it up the arse from the dealer.

If you don't like the quality, sell it and buy from a manufacturer that hasn't sold out. You'll pay more, but most likely be happier. Money talks and if Honda loses sales and reputation (and lets face it, they never have had the rep of the bigger car companies) then maybe they might do something about it. But with the arrogance that is Honda Aust, I doubt it.

Much as I like the OLD Honda, I'd rather spend the money and buy a Mazda or Lexus or Subaru or Nissan over a new Honda.

amuson
18-07-2007, 01:24 AM
hey my fd2 manual had the same problem with the trim around the gear lever, jst take it bac they'll replace the whole thing under warranty.

godiva
18-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Buddah51, are you the honda mechanic that used to work from your home in St Andrews, last i seen you had an accord, but many years ago

buddah51au
19-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm 1 in the same godiva, but i now live on the capricorn coast & no longer get involved in servicing/modifying other vehicles.

godiva
19-07-2007, 09:34 PM
sorry to hear u moved buddah. hope you still help out with advice though as your knowledge is should be shared. what mods do you have planned for your civic, if any. mind sharing pls

buddah51au
21-07-2007, 07:12 PM
You know me godiva, why modify a good thing.....as i am not keen on the look of the Type R, i have some feelers out in USA and if i am lucky enough to find 2 good 1/2 cuts of there SI sedan there might be some importing happening.....lol

spiderman
22-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi all

My 2 cents worth

I have an 07 CIVIC SPORT with 15000kms on it.....

My boot does not close first time unless slammed....my drivers window has been fixed three times..

Also my biggest issue is my speedo reads 8 km under at every speed...

Honda said they were looking after me by having the speedo read low...what a load of shit...

Not happy with there response after firstly not beleiving my wife and doing nothing about it. Then not beleiving me until i demanded they hook up the computer and take me for a drive...WOW it is 8km out said the tech....
\

Nice car otherwise though ...we love it

chylld
22-07-2007, 07:58 PM
spiderman: with ur boot, try re-seating the boot lid rubber seal (comes off and goes back very easily)... also there are 2 rubber stoppers on the bootlid that you can twist clockwise to shorten them... that might help

once all the problems are fixed it is a great car yeah... i'm actually enjoying my car now :) pity it was such a fuss to get it all fixed, good luck getting ur speedo issue fixed...

spiderman
22-07-2007, 08:01 PM
thanks tried that on the boot already....

Honda refuse to fix the speedo even after discussions with HONDA AUSTRALIA...

The thing i asked was when they changed the 06 from 16 inch wheels to 17 inch on the 07 did they adjust the computer...

EZZY
22-07-2007, 10:30 PM
just done the 10,000km service on the VTi, the car itself is fine, but had a couple of "warranty" issues
- NO backlight on the radio panel, fixed under warranty
- honda genuine alarm goes off while the car is moving, fixed under warranty

a couple of monhs back....
- the driver size window wouldnt go up all the way and even if it went up, it comes down straight away, took it to the dealership and apparently there were "crap" stuck in the seal. a qucik clean up and applied some lubicant solved the problem.

chylld
24-07-2007, 12:17 AM
thanks tried that on the boot already....

Honda refuse to fix the speedo even after discussions with HONDA AUSTRALIA...

The thing i asked was when they changed the 06 from 16 inch wheels to 17 inch on the 07 did they adjust the computer...

the rolling diameter of the 06 civic sport tyres (205/55R16) is 632mm, the 07 (215/45R17) is 625mm which is about a 1% difference, or 0.8kph at 80kph. sounds like ur problem is much bigger than that...

it isn't the first time i've heard of this problem, there was another thread where someone was driving alongside his mate's civic, and from looking at the speedos of both found that they were reading very differently...

just hassle honda again about it, it might take them a few goes but they'll probably be able to fix it in the end

match
24-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I have a few problems and i want to know if these are typical. Mind you that the car is only 13 days old.

1. the bonnet does not open!!! wtf? i saw the dealer opened it once to show us and thats it. i tried to open it yesterday and it doesnt let me pull the 'trigger' you know the one next to the pedals. i think its stuffed.

2. wheel alignment. it tends to swirl to the left

3. engine rattling/shaking noise. you know those old cars with heavy engine noise when you stop at the traffic lights?

denot
24-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I have a few problems and i want to know if these are typical. Mind you that the car is only 13 days old.

1. the bonnet does not open!!! wtf? i saw the dealer opened it once to show us and thats it. i tried to open it yesterday and it doesnt let me pull the 'trigger' you know the one next to the pedals. i think its stuffed.

3. engine rattling/shaking noise. you know those old cars with heavy engine noise when you stop at the traffic lights?

1. Not a typical stuff at all... go back to your dealer imediately!!!
2. i didnt get this problem... is it just recently or straight from the 1st time you drive it?
3. dont really understand... but there are a bit ratling some times when I drive my civic

match
24-07-2007, 02:01 PM
the wheel alignment happened straight after i started driving. i purposedly tested it a few times and it always swirl to the left.

disappointed
24-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Our gen 7 is also a POS. Oil use now at 750ml per 1000 kays. But the car is now at the dealer under going a engine rebuild under warranty, woo hoo. Still what we need here in OZ is a LEMON law like the yanks. Three strikes and its gone.

gerard
24-07-2007, 05:39 PM
theres a TSB for USDM civics for cars pulling left or right.

chylld
24-07-2007, 08:02 PM

in my car i have to pull it REALLY hard to get it to pop... at the risk of stating the obvious, have u tried pulling it harder?

i've heard of other civics with this problem, take it back to the dealer.

there's a known problem with the right-side engine mounts in both 1.8 and 2.0 civics - i recommend having the dealer check that one out for you.

match
25-07-2007, 10:45 AM
in my car i have to pull it REALLY hard to get it to pop... at the risk of stating the obvious, have u tried pulling it harder?

im afraid il break it if i pull it hard.

i've heard of other civics with this problem, take it back to the dealer.

will do. should not be happening to new cars.

there's a known problem with the right-side engine mounts in both 1.8 and 2.0 civics - i recommend having the dealer check that one out for you.

will do.

SirG
26-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey all,

Just picked up a new 07 civic vti with the bodykit, had it for 3 days, so far no major issues as i have been driving it. however i have noticed the driver door needs to be closed firmly before it actually locks, will keep an eye on that. Tiny, tiny rattling noise on my right hand side front, either in the door or somewhere near the front drivers side. Sound system off you can hear it, system on low (vol 2-5) totally covers the noise, hope it doesn't end up in a major rattle, will also keep an eye on it and if these things get worse or continue, will mention it at the 1K service. Otherwise quite happy with the car.

Had a Astra 04 model previously and had no major issues with it except that it too had minor rattles and it's rear wipers blew a fuse and shorted and would consistently go on and off whilst you drove!

The ford falcon i had previously had nothing but major engine issues.

So i feel sorry for those with major issues and feel your frustration. Overall you expect minor issues with cars or anything that is complex and mechanical.

I hope i only have minor issues that can be fixed. Wish me luck.

match
27-07-2007, 07:21 PM
additional problem to my list. i have the same small rattling noise on right side at the front. it could be the window.

EZZY
29-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Our gen 7 is also a POS. Oil use now at 750ml per 1000 kays. But the car is now at the dealer under going a engine rebuild under warranty, woo hoo. Still what we need here in OZ is a LEMON law like the yanks. Three strikes and its gone.
does anyone else have this issue?
i have noticed my civic to drink more oil than the previous one.....
may have to check again when im in sydney next time:o

Joele
12-12-2007, 10:22 AM

This drives me nuts, I have emptied my glovebox but still get it UNLESS I open the glovebox and then the sound stops. Of course who wants to drive around with the glovebox open.. :(

Also tested my speedo on the HWY a few weeks back, something is out of whack as to do 110Kmh I need to drive at 116kmh (according to the Civic speedo).. 07 Vti

Rant: I must admit my image of Honda has dropped since buying this car, my first Honda (always had Mazdas b4 and never had problems) and I have already had 2 warranty repairs and haven't reached 10k yet (engine noise fixed and bubbled paintwork fixed).. They can fix the problems under warranty, thats fine, but it still leaves a bad impression of Honda in your mind..

chylld
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
...I have already had 2 warranty repairs and haven't reached 10k yet (engine noise fixed and bubbled paintwork fixed)..

i see your 2 repairs and raise you 5...

(1 more at the end (to fix my cruise control) which hasn't been added to hondaone yet)

Frost_FD
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes i must agree with you all take honda back to be built in japan!!

I had my car recalled because of some wiring in the back lights might have some dripping grease on it so they had to replace that... and they were like hey you missed out on your first recall i was like what!! first recall, yeah we forgot to put the boot lining in it...

As for the driver side window getting stuck... silicon spray solves that but still...... it shouldnt happen from the highest quality cars in japan....

denot
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes i must agree with you all take honda back to be built in japan!!

frost, now i think they will have another "civic Euro" built in Jap now... and it will cost you $5k-10k more? :p

chylld
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
I had my car recalled because of some wiring in the back lights might have some dripping grease on it so they had to replace that...

if you had this service done at scotts honda artarmon (or any honda service centre for that matter) check that your cruise control still works. it was during the carrying out of this service that one of honda's brilliantly intelligent "technicians" broke something near the brake pedal that rendered my cruise control inoperable.

disappointed
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Update. Firstly, I apologize for hijacking someone elses post. After a complete tear down and rebuild with new rings and a head job under warranty by a honda dealer, the car now uses between 700 ml and 800 ml of honda oil every 1000 km. I don't have anything good to say about the f#@^wit who did this work on our POS. The f#@^wit so called technician does not even know how to check the oil level. Always half a litre overful after a service. Car has undergone another oil consumption test at a different honda dealer, for the last 6000 km. This service manager is doing the right thing by us. It is again in the hands of honda warranty goons. So we will see what happens after Xmas. Thanx

Joele
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
i see your 2 repairs and raise you 5...

(1 more at the end (to fix my cruise control) which hasn't been added to hondaone yet)

But you only had one b4 the 10k service, I haven't even reached that, give me some time, I'm still in the race... LOL

Interesting that you point to that hondaone listing, I had a look and I have three there.. The two I mentioned and one showing up the day BEFORE I received my car.. What the hell? no way to get details from HondaOne of what that actually was?

I would also say the general fit in my car is poor compared to the cheaper cars I have owned in the past. Its not the materials or look, just the fit itself, lots of things don't line up or fit right and just look poor but not really bad enough to make a warranty claim out of... I would have paid a couple of grand more for a Japanese built car if it meant better build quality, though I am not too sure the savings they made from moving to Thailand really past on to us..

chylld
12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
But you only had one b4 the 10k service, I haven't even reached that, give me some time, I'm still in the race... LOL

I think I will still beat you on total # of warranty issues... at 20 months old i'm up to #30. That's 1.5 defects per month :)

Interesting that you point to that hondaone listing, I had a look and I have three there.. The two I mentioned and one showing up the day BEFORE I received my car.. What the hell? no way to get details from HondaOne of what that actually was?

ROFL! hondaone is a pretty simple site in that they only display information they receive from honda dealers. however any honda dealer (especially the one from which you took delivery of the car) will be able to tell you what it was.

disappointed
12-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I think I will still beat you on total # of warranty issues... at 20 months old i'm up to #30. That's 1.5 defects per month

Does'nt it make you want to buy another Honda chylld?

chylld
12-12-2007, 01:42 PM

about the only thing i will buy or recommend my friends/family to buy with a honda badge on it is a lemon or lemon plant.

actually a lemon plant is too risky, the lemons will be falling apart even before they appear... like Joele's civic :)

xenfacta
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
... a head job under warranty by a honda dealer, ..

was he a skilled honda technician?

with regards to cruise control i got my brake light sorted and my cruise still works fine :D

dont know about the rest of you but i love my civic.. no real issues

denot
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
dont know about the rest of you but i love my civic.. no real issues

I think its a matter of personal opinion... if you not too picky or never buy/drive a better car before - e.g. your previous car was a 1981 Honda Accord that already rusty and broke down every 1 hr driving (not me guys!! :p) then this is a very good car...

For me, I like to driving it and get used to the "noises" inside the car. And I still treat it like a baby (baby girl since its too sensitive - a bit of dust on the window, need to be sprayed... a bit dust on the wiper, need to be cleaned...)

I only claim my insurance for the window problem and might need to double check is "she" is one of the car get recalled for cruise and brake light problem.

Overall... I can give 7/10... well thats my personal opinion

PS: has anyone giving this car as his wife/gf/daughter first car? did she ever complaints about it?

Joele
12-12-2007, 02:56 PM

At this rate, I won't..

Don't get me wrong in I love the car design in general, but their plant that actually did the build is poor IMO, and has erroded my confidence in Honda..

Joele
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
has anyone giving this car as his wife/gf/daughter first car? did she ever complaints about it?

Compared to my first car, its a dream.. LOL.. Though I'm not sure that is saying all that much :p

denot
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Compared to my first car, its a dream.. LOL.. Though I'm not sure that is saying all that much :p

the reason i brought this up is because when I complaining to my gf, she keep on saying she cant tell that theres problems with the car. she said loves it and want me to hand it to her once she get her P (only the size of it makes her thing twice) :s she can stand all the noises and stuff, but I (we) cant? :p

xenfacta
12-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I think its a matter of personal opinion... if you not too picky or never buy/drive a better car before - e.g. your previous car was a 1981 Honda Accord that already rusty and broke down every 1 hr driving (not me guys!! :p) then this is a very good car...

For me, I like to driving it and get used to the "noises" inside the car. And I still treat it like a baby (baby girl since its too sensitive - a bit of dust on the window, need to be sprayed... a bit dust on the wiper, need to be cleaned...)

I only claim my insurance for the window problem and might need to double check is "she" is one of the car get recalled for cruise and brake light problem.

Overall... I can give 7/10... well thats my personal opinion

PS: has anyone giving this car as his wife/gf/daughter first car? did she ever complaints about it?

im actually very fussy with my cars. family/friends have had quite a few big dollar cars and theyre usually nice enough to let me drive. i tend to take care of my car (although its a lil dirty atm im ashamed to say) and it really is a good car especially for $20K. it could be a little faster but u cant have everything... i drive dads car if i want to go fast :p

disappointed
12-12-2007, 05:24 PM
[Qwas he a skilled honda technician?UOTE=xenfacta;1466288]

No, we got screwed....

Riviera
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
misses had a problem with hers plays up now and then

drivers window goes up to the top then just comes back down lol

i moved the window as it was going up and ive found its sumthing to do with the window rail that its bolted to it shifts back and forth (front to back - of the car)

honda said it was to do with the window track not being dry lubed but i reckon thats a whole load of bs, cause it still does it

hasnt done it recently, but when it does lol i'll make a video

chylld
12-12-2007, 07:50 PM
drivers window goes up to the top then just comes back down lol

this is a very common problem apparently... every time i service my car at honda i always found excessive grease at the front and back edges of each window, looks heaps ugly :( i've heard other civic owners have had their entire windows replaced with ones that are made of thinner glass; not what you'd call an elegant solution!

but hey, this is honda.

Riviera
12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
poor honda, makes me wonder, do other manufacturers have this or should i say these problems...?

chylld
12-12-2007, 08:09 PM
poor honda, makes me wonder, do other manufacturers have this or should i say these problems...?

every manufacturer has their fair share of problems; it's when there's an expectation mismatch do smiles turn to frowns.

for me at least my civic has been quite the lesson in expectations :) i'd always thought a car would go for years without having any problems, such as the corolla, astra and getz that i owned before this one.

Joele
13-12-2007, 07:51 AM
i'd always thought a car would go for years without having any problems, such as the corolla, astra and getz that i owned before this one.

Yeah my expectations were also risen to unrealistic levels for Honda to achieve based on my previous experience with Mazda (323) and Daewoo (Lanos).

disappointed
13-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Check out http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/default.asp this site and see for yourselves which cars have which problems.

Joele
13-12-2007, 11:22 AM
From that site for the Civic - "The brake pedal will shake/vibrate with noise as the pedal is press down and when the car is going over some uneven surfaces."

WOW this is common? Mine does this and I was going to ask at the service center at my 10K... Anyone else get this?

denot
13-12-2007, 11:25 AM
From that site for the Civic - "The brake pedal will shake/vibrate with noise as the pedal is press down and when the car is going over some uneven surfaces."

WOW this is common? Mine does this and I was going to ask at the service center at my 10K... Anyone else get this?

me! doesnt feel the vibration/shake but it make sounds as if the pad already gone...

Joele
13-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't so much as feel it through the pedal, but the car itself, kind of feels as if the brake is going on and off quickly (like ABS) and I definately get a strange sound..

markCivicVti
13-12-2007, 11:33 AM
^ Could it maybe just be ABS kicking in? Thinking you're close to losing traction?

chylld
13-12-2007, 12:23 PM
i get this as well, except it was a REALLY loud sound that sent about 4-5 consecutive "BANG"s through the cabin. scared the crap out of all of my passengers :(

i complained twice about the ABS prematurely kicking in, but honda service claimed it was normal.

guess a shaking brake pedal is relatively normal for the civic...

markCivicVti
13-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah I've only had my car for 1.5 weeks... but have noticed the civic doesn't like braking hard - I've had ABS kicked in once already and I reckon for no reason - I was braking a little harder than normal.. but think there was plenty of traction left till I actually needed it. I'm so used to driving non-ABS cars hard I don't really know how ABS normally works.

Joele
13-12-2007, 03:02 PM
^ Could it maybe just be ABS kicking in? Thinking you're close to losing traction?

Yeah I guess it is, but at the time I am doing maybe 40kmh and only very lightly pressing the brake (nowhere near losing traction) but the uneven surface must confuse the ABS system?

denot
13-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah I guess it is, but at the time I am doing maybe 40kmh and only very lightly pressing the brake (nowhere near losing traction) but the uneven surface must confuse the ABS system?

i notice this when I start my car for the first time in the morning, the ABS seems to kick in "brutally" whenever i press the brake (yup on 40km/h speed as well)

markCivicVti
13-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Guys that really doesn't sound right.

Either
a) The surface your driving on is el crapo (ice?)
b) something is wrong with the brakes!

The fact that you're only "very lightly pressing the brakes" and ABS is kicking in I'd opt for option b.

I don't have that problem. I have to brake reasonably hard for it to kick in - but IMO I can brake a lot harder without losing traction before it should kick in.

markCivicVti
13-12-2007, 03:34 PM
When I first start the car (auto transmission) in the morning i reverse out the garage, then roll down the drive away in neutral. At the end of the driveway I put the stick to 'D', if I'm still going forward when I do this I get a slight noise (like forcing a gear in without pressing in neutral on a manual box). It's not very loud but it makes me cringe knowing something sounded like it got grinded on my 1.5 wk old car.

I'm traveling maybe 5-10k/h when I hear this... on my last car I could go from N to D at 50km/h+ and not have any issues - bad habbit I know.. I stopped doing it.

Is this a problem and/or do I need to just not ever go from N->D even if I'm going walking speed?

Joele
13-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Is this a problem and/or do I need to just not ever go from N->D even if I'm going walking speed?

I have to be at dead stop to avoid that, my last car was a little less strict on this too..

denot
14-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I have to be at dead stop to avoid that, my last car was a little less strict on this too..

agree... I was put from R --> N --> D in one go (while still moving backwards downhill a bit), and the car makes sounds as if she is complaining... :(

chylld
14-12-2007, 12:32 PM

same here... i have to sit still for 2 seconds (doesn't sound like a lot, but try it for real and your passengers will think you're spastic/retarded) otherwise i get a really loud CLUNK sound after i reach about 5kph.

little annoyances like this though i didn't even count in my 30 issues lol

azeon
17-12-2007, 12:05 PM

I thought I'd chip into this thread because it seems to be an interesting topic. I bought a Civic VTi-L about a month ago and I gotta say I'm not entirely happy with it either. I'm having a different problem to most of you whereby the engine struggles to start when the car is warm (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80538). It's really pissing me off because it's so hard to reproduce the damn problem but it's definitely there.

Yes, I bought a car for less than $30K but should a 21st century car sometimes take 2 key turns to start because it's warm?

I went with buying a Honda because I always thought Honda's quality and reliability was second only to the likes of Toyota. I knew the car was built in Thailand but didn't think that would be a source of problems in this day and age.

Now, I think I'll think twice about buying a Honda.

chylld
17-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I went with buying a Honda because I always thought Honda's quality and reliability was second only to the likes of Toyota. I knew the car was built in Thailand but didn't think that would be a source of problems in this day and age.

Now, I think I'll think twice about buying a Honda.

that was a large part of my justification for buying a honda as well. however recent surveys (i think the jd powers one for reliability or customer satisfaction?) rates neither honda nor toyota in the top 3 anymore. the top 3 are now Lexus, Porsche and Hyundai.

sorry to hear about ur problem, will reply in your original thread with my thoughts.

denot
17-12-2007, 12:49 PM
agree with both of you... especially next year they will start making Jazz in Indonesia (rumour has it), this will definetely drop their quality...

danny_mart
17-12-2007, 12:52 PM
i got a shaking noise some where around my rear drivers window anyone no what it could be tried touching everything but cant find what it is....
starting to get so annoying...

destrukshn
17-12-2007, 01:16 PM
got a civic sport for over 2 months now.
absolutly perfect to me.

denot
17-12-2007, 01:19 PM
i got a shaking noise some where around my rear drivers window anyone no what it could be tried touching everything but cant find what it is....
starting to get so annoying...

hmmm mine not that annoying, but I can hear sound from outside a bit louder near from my driver door. Makes me check twice have I shut the door properly...

Sexythang
16-05-2008, 06:39 AM
tell me about it.

i just had a new engine put in. supposedly. or it might be someone elses problem engine. sounded rough. they gave thier again susposedly mechanic of the year to tell you 'cant hear it' or that the characteristic engine noise. anyway, i decided to give it some time before complaining the 6th time about it. now however another thing just came up. when i engage in gear. the gearbox area of the car emits a tapping sound (not like the tapping sounds from the engine belt that goes tok....tok...tok...) this one sounds more like people drumming thier fingernails on a tablet continuously. one u shift into neutral or park it goes away. shift it back the noise is there even when ur foot is on the brake pedal.

this is seriouly ticking me off. whats the point of buying a new car when u need to bring it in to be fixed all the time. and its not like i chose a FIAT or Alfa romeo where they are expected to break down or fall apart fast.

anyone of you guys experienced this? before i go confront thier service manager and mechanic of the century again?

chylld
16-05-2008, 07:05 AM
the gearbox area of the car emits a tapping sound (not like the tapping sounds from the engine belt that goes tok....tok...tok...) this one sounds more like people drumming thier fingernails on a tablet continuously. one u shift into neutral or park it goes away. shift it back the noise is there even when ur foot is on the brake pedal.

is it a fairly hollow/tinny rattling sound? my car made that noise and it turned out to be a loose passenger's airbag. thank god i didn't have an accident with my girlfriend in the front.

i've since switched to a hyundai i30 diesel and it's so much better... quieter, faster, no rattles and no problems at all... the concept of a car having problems had been long gone until i got the topic reply notification for this thread. amazing honda managed to build such a... thingybox :)

Jo_e
16-05-2008, 11:36 AM
lol im gonna jump on the bandwagon...

The civic quality for a new car sucks. Just crap. I had more problems with my new 8th gen than my current 9 year old jap built car.
They should have never built the freakin thing in thailand.
The idea of the 8th gen civic was good. its a good car, just built like shit. If it was built in japan there would been huge difference.
Having owned 2 japanese built cars, rather old ones. I can say with confidence they're solid as a rock.

clayton4115
16-05-2008, 12:08 PM
well i got a 7th Gen Civic October 2005 model, had it since Feb 2007, driven it just under 10,000kms, and i have had ZERO problems (touch wood)

by the way this model is built in Japan.

it currently has 31k on the clock.

aaronng
16-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Those with engine and transmission problems, is your Civic the VTI/L or Sport?

clayton4115
16-05-2008, 12:22 PM
funny that, i named my Civic Chloe as well , LOL

chylld
16-05-2008, 01:33 PM

sport here, engine itself is fine. just the engine mounts failed (had to be replaced) and the automatic gearbox had an occasional habit of not engaging a gear when moving off from rest (it'd just rev like it was in neutral)

Fizz
16-05-2008, 01:38 PM
my wife's 6 month old corolla sedan also has a few rattles already. They managed to fix one of em, but still unable to "hear" the others. By the way this car is made in japan :thumbdwn: we're upgrading to a dualis next year.

Riviera
16-05-2008, 03:09 PM
theyre sexy but ive driven my misses one a few times and it just not right...

the gear changes feel wrong, the steering is so hard after 40km/h

and like many of you

drivers window problem
interior panels popping up
trim on door lifting

Aco3n
18-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Just wondering if any of you ever experience the car is vibrating when it's starting from the first gear?

It seems like driving a car with a messed up engine mounting.. but the thing is.. it's intermittent.. it would be hard for me to prove it to the dealership.. except it is happening when the next service due..

I've reported it to the dealer.. and they said nothing wrong with my car.. unless I can show it to them..

any advice?

Sexythang
19-05-2008, 01:52 AM

civic vtil for me. dont tell me the vti has less problems. hehe

the hard part is showing it to the mechanic. most of the time they will just say its normal and you're not the expert.
by the way, ive also had zero problems with my 8 year old corolla. not even blown light bulbs. and battery is still from factory. after experiencing the brand new civic i wonder to myself how does toyota do it. its funny but the body of the corolla actually feel as 'tight' as the civic. if u know what i mean.

clayton4115
19-05-2008, 09:33 AM
i also have a 1988 Magna, yep 20 years old!!! its now blowing a little blue smoke when i start her up, but other than that, she is still a smooth car to drive, although lost some of her oommpph in acceleration! it has 180k on the clock.

aaronng
19-05-2008, 10:12 AM
civic vtil for me. dont tell me the vti has less problems. hehe

the hard part is showing it to the mechanic. most of the time they will just say its normal and you're not the expert.
by the way, ive also had zero problems with my 8 year old corolla. not even blown light bulbs. and battery is still from factory. after experiencing the brand new civic i wonder to myself how does toyota do it. its funny but the body of the corolla actually feel as 'tight' as the civic. if u know what i mean.

VTi and VTIL will have the same engine/transmission problems. The reason I asked is because the Civic is the first car that Honda has used the R18A engine in. So there could be some hiccups since it is a new design.

amato2
20-05-2008, 08:39 PM
i got a fn2r Civic and my driver window stopped working any ideas on what it might be oh and my car is only 4 days old

Thankyou

aaronng
20-05-2008, 09:07 PM
i got a fn2r Civic and my driver window stopped working any ideas on what it might be oh and my car is only 4 days old

Thankyou
Go to the dealer. You have warranty.

amato2
20-05-2008, 09:11 PM
yeah i have already dropped it off to them, they have given me a lone car while they try and fix it up, dropped it off this arvo they reckon ill get it back tomorrow some time

just spewing i have had to bring it back and i havent even had it yet for a whole week

buddah51au
20-05-2008, 09:55 PM
i can honestly say that after 22 months and 45,000km i have not experienced any problems other than the power windows sticking and that is a 1 minute fix with a can of silicone spray

bozoxp
21-05-2008, 10:40 PM
am from across the ditch here, so the civic's made in japan.

no issues apart from the creaking of the dash (attributed to bad fitting) and horrid wipers.

inzpector
21-05-2008, 11:18 PM
07 civic sport manual
driver and passenger windows not wanting to rise - fixed this with a quick spray of lithium grease while the window was down.
occasional rattle from passenger side door area - could be the seat belt banging while unclipped.
seat belt warning chime failing to sound sometimes - must be something wrong inside the drivers side buckle.
CD stacker loves to keep cds. press eject and it swallows the cd as soon as it ejects it. you need to be real quick or prepared to fight it. ling ling will battle CD monster.
and while im having a whinge, i can NOT remotely open my boot, where is the button on the key for this? a bloody falcon has this option.

Does anyone know how to remove these little yellow spots on my lovely white paint? looks like bee poo. could be bird droppings. can not get it off with soap, orbital polisher, or fingernail even!

howy
21-05-2008, 11:58 PM
07 civic sport manual
driver and passenger windows not wanting to rise - fixed this with a quick spray of lithium grease while the window was down.
occasional rattle from passenger side door area - could be the seat belt banging while unclipped.
seat belt warning chime failing to sound sometimes - must be something wrong inside the drivers side buckle.
CD stacker loves to keep cds. press eject and it swallows the cd as soon as it ejects it. you need to be real quick or prepared to fight it. ling ling will battle CD monster.
and while im having a whinge, i can NOT remotely open my boot, where is the button on the key for this? a bloody falcon has this option.

Does anyone know how to remove these little yellow spots on my lovely white paint? looks like bee poo. could be bird droppings. can not get it off with soap, orbital polisher, or fingernail even!

most likely tree sap or dew...

i have the same problem with my white civic. gonna wash the car tmr even though there's a chance of rain

the window not rising properly or derailing is quite a common issue, but easily fixed by the dealer. took less than 10 mins to get it up and working again. they basically put some grease or lubricant in and that's it.

jpestrada115
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
thanks to all of you for noting these FD issues.

it was not until that i read your inputs here that i became conscious about these issues. i think the "driver-side window getting stuck" issue is about to happen to my FD (VTi; almost 3 months old) as i can hear the motor whining with effort when opening and closing the window. did my bit to prevent that from happening yesterday - grabbed a $9 can of silicone lubricant spray and sprayed the window channels/rails. definitely cured it! the motors sound to be not exerting effort in winding the windows up and down.

anyway, that's just the issue that i've encountered on my FD so far. haven't encountered any of the other issues noted in this thread. everything is OK and i'm happy with the car.

MrSteve
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Ok read through this whole post lol.

1. 30k not much money for a new car? To the 'average' working man, this is a lot of money, and takes 5 years to pay back normally. I think cars are overpriced myself and this may seem like a cheap car, but damn, 5 years to pay something back isn't cheap to me.

Ive had my my08 civic for close to a week now (650ks) After reading this thread, the only problem I have is my sterring veering off to the left. Keep it steady, take your hands off, goes to the left every time.

Other than that everything seems ok. I did have a loud bang happen once, I figured I ran over something lol. Hasn't happened since though.

My windows are fine also, I havn't used em often cause the dealershiop 'assured' me my 'darkest tinting' will get dark after a month, yet still looks light as shit to me.

denot
12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
1. 30k not much money for a new car? To the 'average' working man, this is a lot of money, and takes 5 years to pay back normally. I think cars are overpriced myself and this may seem like a cheap car, but damn, 5 years to pay something back isn't cheap to me.

I feel ya brother!!!!

gerard
12-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Guys, CD player just started playing up. would not give up cd 5 and 6. but otherwise works with cd 1 to 4.

what gets me going is that local honda dealer can only book me in in one and half months time just to confirm the snag.
anyone else have their stacker playing up and whats the fix?, Does Honda warrant them for the 3 years or just the first year?

warwick108
12-08-2008, 10:14 PM
steering turning left from stand still? isnt this due to torque steer?.. =S

smithy_1
14-08-2008, 09:53 PM
my vti-l has a slight pull left also. It can't be due to torque steer when you're not on the accelerator (no torque). Wheel alignment after 1000k improved it but it is still there slightly. Dealer says bring it back for another look, which I have not done yet.

Is there a known issue regarding pulling to the left???

gerard
19-08-2008, 10:34 AM
The propensity of the FD to follow road camber is well documented. It would seem the suspension geometry makes this so and probably something we need to live with.

On another note, the CD player coughed up a "hairball" the 6th cd after numerous stabs of the eject button and now seems to work like nothing toward had happened.:confused:

denot
19-08-2008, 12:18 PM
The propensity of the FD to follow road camber is well documented. It would seem the suspension geometry makes this so and probably something we need to live with.

Gerard, I'm noob @ suspension stuff but... will this problem fixed if we change the whole suspension? (coilovers?)

On another note, the CD player coughed up a "hairball" the 6th cd after numerous stabs of the eject button and now seems to work like nothing toward had happened.:confused:

I think this one is becoz of the CD Stacker is too dirty... I opened my friends sports to change into Double Din, and found out that the CD Stacker is soo dirty (he complains that one of the Disc cant eject as well)

gerard
19-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Gerard, I'm noob @ suspension stuff but... will this problem fixed if we change the whole suspension? (coilovers?)

Can't tell for sure but doubt it unless there is change in toe/chamber or castor.

I think this one is becoz of the CD Stacker is too dirty... I opened my friends sports to change into Double Din, and found out that the CD Stacker is soo dirty (he complains that one of the Disc cant eject as well)

:thumbsup:Good thing to know

buddah51au
19-08-2008, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=gerard;1854202]The propensity of the FD to follow road camber is well documented. It would seem the suspension geometry makes this so and probably something we need to live with.

Cars that have a tendancy to follow the camber of the road is a problem that has been around since the first radial tyres were introduced. The causes are many and varied, mainly because every road has slight differences in the amount of camber they have. On cars with a fully adjustable front suspension this could be almost eliminated by playing with the castor angles, most modern cars dont give you that option. Also a square shouldered tyre is more susceptable to this problem than a round shouldered tyre. Another common thought especially in the early days of radial tyres was the belts within the tyre carcas not being perfectly centralised as on many occasions swapping front tyres from side to side could accentuate the problem / rectify the problem / or even cause the vehicle to pull to the opposite side. Personally i do not have this problem with my FD1.

SPEEDCORE
20-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Interesting thread.... given all the dissing of Thai assembled Hondas, I'm surprised no one has blamed Honda of North America for the design.

Type R Positive
20-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know how to remove these little yellow spots on my lovely white paint? looks like bee poo. could be bird droppings. can not get it off with soap, orbital polisher, or fingernail even! Clay bar? Cleans my cars perfect. Got industrial paint overspray on it twice (thats another story) and clay bar got that shit straight off.

Type R Positive
20-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Tyre problem well documented with the CL9 euro lux.

Easily solved with skinnier tyres, or tyres with bigger diameter. The problem is with the tyre contact patch. It's wider than it is longer. Hence it follows the road.

Type R Positive
20-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Seems civic has some problems....
I brought a new Corolla at the start of last year over a civic, I thought the civic was a bucket in comparison.

spyda
23-08-2008, 09:52 AM
are they? I was always under the impression that it wasn't. oh well....

but I would think that just because it's made in Thailand doesn't mean that the build quality suffers as a result. unless that's just me being too optimistic.

check it out for those who are worried
http://www.honda.co.th/hct/english/sitemap.asp

if there are problems with the car take it back thats what a warranty is for. if your not happy then dont leave until you have an aswer that you want reputation is important so theaten to take them to current affair or something. lol just a suggestion.

quality is still the same thailand exports some hondas back to japan too so they have to be good:)

clayton4115
23-08-2008, 08:15 PM
if it wasnt coming out of Thailand we all would be paying $5k to $10k more, Australia had a free trade agreement with Thailand, so they can get their quality cars to us cheaper, the first batch of the new models always have problems, thats why its prudent to wait till a year or so later before buying the new generation vehicle.

civic_07
24-08-2008, 12:20 PM
^^^ couldn't have said it better :thumbsup:

Fizz
25-08-2008, 12:15 PM
mate the free trade agreement nonsense which honda australia keeps banging on about only benefits themselves, not the buyer. They dont pass on much (if any) saving to the buyers. lancer, mazda3 and corolla are all imported from japan yet are priced lower than the civic.

SPEEDCORE
25-08-2008, 12:44 PM
mate the free trade agreement nonsense which honda australia keeps banging on about only benefits themselves, not the buyer. They dont pass on much (if any) saving to the buyers. lancer, mazda3 and corolla are all imported from japan yet are priced lower than the civic.

Thank you :)

clayton4115
25-08-2008, 02:20 PM
you can intrepret the FTA which ever way you like, however it is still more sensible to not buy the first batch of a new generation vehicle, as it will always have issues (in I.T they call it Bugs), when a new software is released.

Zimp13
26-08-2008, 11:20 PM
the dealershiop 'assured' me my 'darkest tinting' will get dark after a month, yet still looks light as shit to me.

sory but this is one of the most ridiculous statements i ve ever read.............:eek::eek::eek::eek:

SPEEDCORE
27-08-2008, 08:36 AM
you can intrepret the FTA which ever way you like, however it is still more sensible to not buy the first batch of a new generation vehicle, as it will always have issues (in I.T they call it Bugs), when a new software is released.

Never denied that :) I somewhat agree.... even if things get "fixed" via recalls etc.

But free trade agreement or not, if honda were going to market a Japanese built civic here in Australia they would not throw another $5-10k as you say. There is just no way it would happen given pricing of its competitors. This is why I find it very hard to envision the EUDM hatch civic ever making it to these shores (other than the CTR of course) when they have mentioned it would be in the vacinity of $35k for a hatch in a smiliar spec as our current SPORT.

denot
27-08-2008, 10:03 AM
...This is why I find it very hard to envision the EUDM hatch civic ever making it to these shores (other than the CTR of course) when they have mentioned it would be in the vacinity of $35k for a hatch in a smiliar spec as our current SPORT.

SPEEDCORE, I tought they said it will "start from" 35k (basic model)

Fizz
27-08-2008, 10:58 AM
SPEEDCORE, I tought they said it will "start from" 35k (basic model)

If the 1.8 eudm hatch is gonna "start from" 35k...good luck to them selling well. might as well get an accord euro for that sort of money.

denot
27-08-2008, 11:25 AM
^^^ thats why they end up canceling the idea to import the hatch

SPEEDCORE
27-08-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2931179.aspx

But the bad news is the funky UK-sourced five-door will cost around $35K by the time it arrives loaded with extra equipment over the current sedan models.

If this DID happen.... or a Japanese built one went to this kind of price, Mazda would announce development of a supercar the following day. ROFL! :)

denot
27-08-2008, 12:02 PM
^^^ LOL!!!! Nice one!!!

smithy_1
27-08-2008, 02:14 PM
The drivers door window got stuck today. Would not go up past a certain point. Fixed by Honda in 2 mins. The solution??
Silicone spray on the runners.
Apparently there is a no-jam-fingers-in-window-going-up feature. A tight/binding window in the runner will feel like said finger getting stuck, and bingo, will not go up.
Honda solution, silicone spray in the runners to free everything up.

denot
27-08-2008, 02:18 PM
^^^ er... we all know that already (if you bothered to read 1-16 pages before this one :p)

bula_is
02-10-2008, 10:11 AM
lol..i just bought my civic in august this year and ive only put 3k kms on it and ive got a number of the problems mentioned including my drivers window getin stuck and i cant even put my BASS option to max because the bass is replaced by rattling noises lol! frkn honda i read so many reviews abt how good the build quality is on this car compared to all other cars...abit disappointed. my door trimmin is also coming of on my drivers side...im guessing warranty covers this?

I also get issues with gear changing..it keeps downshifting and stuck on one gear often..i think this is a problem with hondas 'grade logic control' not sure but its annoying.

but..i stil love my civic lol :)

denot
02-10-2008, 11:58 AM
...i read so many reviews abt how good the build quality is on this car compared to all other cars...

man... where did you read it from? all I ever read is reviews that says "... unfortunately the build of this car is somewhat off Honda standards... "

bula_is
02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
umm it was on a number of websites..but i think i was reading the USDM civic.. =S . hey denot is ur civic modded??

denot
02-10-2008, 03:10 PM
no mate... only the wing (coz from before buying the car the only thing I dont like is that the back of this civic looks like a girl ready for a doggy style :p, so a wing is a must to make it looks "balanced") and dats about it... gotta save up for a lot of other things now ^_^

cracker
02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I also get issues with gear changing..it keeps downshifting and stuck on one gear often..i think this is a problem with hondas 'grade logic control' not sure but its annoying.but..i stil love my civic lol :)

someone else can confirm this...but i think its the vtec adapting to your driving style, eventually it should be perfect nd gangsta

bula_is
02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
:S really...it does it often if i take my foot of the accelerator just downshifts and kind of 'locks' into one gear.. seems like ther is problem. it wasnt doing this in my first 1-2k kms ....maybe its after i tried vtec :P i fkd it up lol

rk 86 wa
02-10-2008, 04:52 PM
just read every page, i have a september 06 vti and apart from windows (which isnt really that much of an issue) has been great to me :D

SPEEDCORE
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
(coz from before buying the car the only thing I dont like is that the back of this civic looks like a girl ready for a doggy style :p

What kind of dirty random broads are you banging who have 4 big red dots on their arse cheeks?

I think I'm gonna puke....

Seriously if people are not happy with their purchase.... do your country a favour and buy a locally made product.

cracker
02-10-2008, 08:09 PM
bahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah...im gonna stimulate the australian economy by buying a holden....oh gg no v-tec!? no way!!!!

SPEEDCORE
02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Who said anything about helping the economy cracker?

Seriously.... to those that continue with your incessant complaining... go buy a local product. If not the country you'll at least be helping myself and others on this forum by going to another and whining and crying elsewhere.

cracker
02-10-2008, 08:27 PM
theyre not hating on the car...just the factory faults, i think...

denot
03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
yupz... even the other forum has a dedicated section for this... something like "New Civic feedback" or sumthing

m0nty ITR
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Who said anything about helping the economy cracker?

Seriously.... to those that continue with your incessant complaining... go buy a local product. If not the country you'll at least be helping myself and others on this forum by going to another and whining and crying elsewhere.

Working at a dealer I can vouche for the ridiculous demands of some customers. I had one guy who wanted us to engineer a new solution for his parcel shelf because every time he went over a speed hump the shelf would bounce slightly. After coming back 6 times we told him we had found a solution for him. It's called a sedan.

There is a well known annoying member on VW Vortex that harped on about issues he had with his GTI. He complained of mismatched colours, lacking engine power, rattles in the boot and get this, understeer issues. Things escalated so bad with him that we called in a technical advisor from Germany who told him everything was normal but if he liked, Volkswagen would buy the car back from him. He would not sell the car funnily enough and still drives it to this day.

xenfacta
05-10-2008, 01:46 PM
lol @ understeer issues, 2.0L turbo + fwd = understeer. learn to use ur right foot lol

we've got an fd1 and a gti inthe garage and theyre both awesome. not one issue. and this is from someone who gets very particular about cars

6-SpeedManual
07-05-2009, 03:40 AM
does anyone's FD civic engine make constant little tapping noises?

~Sp33~
07-05-2009, 09:15 AM
What kind of dirty random broads are you banging who have 4 big red dots on their arse cheeks?

I think I'm gonna puke....

Seriously if people are not happy with their purchase.... do your country a favour and buy a locally made product.

If anything, that'll make you wish for the same build quality as your FD. :wave:

cracker
07-05-2009, 10:32 AM
locally made products are sub par in comparison to the vtec machines.

Waternmo
10-05-2009, 02:04 AM
its becoz of the QC at thailand... driven a FD2R in HK and all the dashes and door panels makes no sound at all, even with a set of Ohlins... unlike my car, the panels make sounds too, but honda refitted them and its all good now... still noises comin out of no where... need to find out asap...

Sherweeeny
10-05-2009, 02:46 AM
my cars a piece of shit, if i accelerate and then let go of the clutch, it spins its wheels and bounces instead of squatting and heading for the horizon. oops

Riviera
10-05-2009, 10:17 AM
my cars a piece of shit, if i accelerate and then let go of the clutch, it spins its wheels and bounces instead of squatting and heading for the horizon. oops

you got low profiles on? wider tyres? let the pressure down a bit

those might help :thumbdwn::thumbsup:

~Sp33~
11-05-2009, 03:01 PM

FWD's don't squat, they scrabble. :cool:

ekdez
11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
sigh! took my car in for its first service today. the 10000km

i had a problem with the right passenger door at the front, it didn't close on first shut 100% of the time and you really had to make sure the door was closed otherwise the car would be wide open.

so they said to me they changed the strikers.. which i believe is a clip of some sort.. anyhow before the service my door sat flush to the car. now its about 5 mm off.. and to most people they wouldn't notice it, but to a car enthusiast who looks after his car meticulously, it stands out a mile :| the lines just arent smooth! :\

argh! effort to go back and get it fixed although i should. this is rather annoying!

pictures

RIGHT side is flush as you can see.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8939/img1024v.jpg

where as the LEFT side is off :\ how gay. believe it or not that left side is shut :|

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6582/img1022g.jpg

black8thgen
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Ow shit sorry to hear =[. Hate it when you go in to get things done or fixed, and theres just a little bit off that you can't stand =[.. hope it gets fixed soon!

~Sp33~
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Just adjust the striker, coming from someone who has replaced every one of his doors, it's not hard to adjust.

warwick108
11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
i think at the start where u had the problem with shutting the door.. i think thats just cabin pressure.. its where all the seals are new and air is trying to escape out the car when u close the door..but pushes the door out... if u know what i mean.. =S

BC8
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
hey guys,

Im starting having problems with the left passenger door handle

Seems stuck sometimes, all my passengers trying to open from the outside think its closed.

Need to get that fixed by honda sometime soon on my next service.

Any had this problem?

ekdez
11-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Just adjust the striker, coming from someone who has replaced every one of his doors, it's not hard to adjust.

easier said then done.. i dont even know where to begin looking.

i think at the start where u had the problem with shutting the door.. i think thats just cabin pressure.. its where all the seals are new and air is trying to escape out the car when u close the door..but pushes the door out... if u know what i mean.. =S

and yes thats what the guy said. something about cabin pressure.

either way the door looks open LOL.. and it needs to be fixed sigh.

~Sp33~
11-05-2009, 07:20 PM
easier said then done.. i dont even know where to begin looking.

and yes thats what the guy said. something about cabin pressure.

either way the door looks open LOL.. and it needs to be fixed sigh.

Open your door, and you'll see the silver hoop that hold your door closed. (it'll be next to the seat) There will be two phillips head screws holding it (the striker) to the car. Loosen those off, and move them inward slightly, and whalah, doors sit flush.:thumbsup:

markCivicVti
14-05-2009, 01:49 PM
hey guys,

Seems stuck sometimes, all my passengers trying to open from the outside think its closed.

Any had this problem?

Yeah my wife complains about it quite a bit... Not worried.

Sherweeeny
15-05-2009, 01:23 AM
you got low profiles on? wider tyres? let the pressure down a bit

those might help :thumbdwn::thumbsup:

haha sorry mate i guess sarcasm is hard to pick up on on the internet

Sherweeeny
15-05-2009, 01:28 AM
hey guys,

Any had this problem?

i have that issue with the back from the inside... the flap opens but nothing happens with the door, u cant tell its been opened till u push it. its just a cheap car lol cant expect much more from something sub 30k, and i highly doubt they can fix this...

inzpector
01-08-2009, 12:01 AM
CD Stacker has died. It has swallowed 1 cd. Refuses to play it, eject it, or load additional CDs. Makes contiuous mechanical noises in its failed attempt to load the CD.
Honda have confirmed the Alpine unit will be replaced. Car is in its 2nd year of warranty.
I use CD-Rs (MP3s) and have had many issues inserting and ejecting discs since new.

Interestingly, the customer in front of me at Honda Warranty was there to complain about a similar problem with his 06 Integra. I believe this is a different CD stacker though.

curtis265
04-10-2009, 11:00 PM
bass rattle - will the warranty fix this?

cigarette lighter is gone.need that fixed at next service.

xenfacta
05-10-2009, 11:50 AM
cigarette lighter would be from car chargers.. honda wont replace that under warranty - wear and tear.

curtis265
08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
but nothing gets plugged in there... ever

xenfacta
08-10-2009, 12:43 PM
fair enough... apparently the gps and phone plugs wear them out a bit but if its not being used for anything...

curtis265
08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
if they were to replace it for me, how much do u reckon they would they charge?

It's all rusted inside there for some reason

FDPete
27-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi guys. I have just purchased a used 07 FD2 Civic Sport auto...have had it about 2 weeks and so far i think its great..

hoping someone can assist or shed some light on a mysterious water leak that i found today in my driveway...after driving about 50 mins in peak hour home (was a nice sunny arvo about 18 degrees here in chilly Melbourne) i notice a water leak after moving my car into the garage..seems to be coming from around the left front passenger firewall area...let the car idle and sure enough there is a slow and steady leak (about a drop every 2-3 seconds)

Its definitely just water (very clear), checked the coolant level was ok...popped the oil cap no sludge (feared the worst blown head gasket)..but surely its only done 24,000 kays..
I did not use the aircon at all (in fact dont think i have used it yet) as i thought it may be the condenser freezing and then melting the water.....

Anyone else experienced this? Probably nothing too drastic but still shouldn't happen on a newish car..car is under warranty until May next year (haven't had a chance to send of the change of registered owner yet) hope Honda do still cover if there turns out to be a problem...will work out which dealer i need to take it to tomorrow

Anyone ideas?

howy
27-10-2009, 08:40 PM
was the aircon on?

nvm... just read that you didn't...

From memory, I only get it from using the aircon.

maybe bring it up in your free 1st month service.

FDPete
27-10-2009, 08:49 PM
nah no aircon...no free 1st month service as i bought it used with 23k in the clock!

sirdistik
28-10-2009, 01:59 AM
just wondering.. how much did you pay for it?

fitme
28-10-2009, 07:24 AM
hmm any chance that the civic that you bought is the guy from maroubra? ..

FDPete
28-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Nope purchased from a dealer...6 month warranty from dealer as well..

Stig
28-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi guys. I have just purchased a used 07 FD2 Civic Sport auto...have had it about 2 weeks and so far i think its great..

hoping someone can assist or shed some light on a mysterious water leak that i found today in my driveway...after driving about 50 mins in peak hour home (was a nice sunny arvo about 18 degrees here in chilly Melbourne) i notice a water leak after moving my car into the garage..seems to be coming from around the left front passenger firewall area...let the car idle and sure enough there is a slow and steady leak (about a drop every 2-3 seconds)

Its definitely just water (very clear), checked the coolant level was ok...popped the oil cap no sludge (feared the worst blown head gasket)..but surely its only done 24,000 kays..
I did not use the aircon at all (in fact dont think i have used it yet) as i thought it may be the condenser freezing and then melting the water.....

Anyone else experienced this? Probably nothing too drastic but still shouldn't happen on a newish car..car is under warranty until May next year (haven't had a chance to send of the change of registered owner yet) hope Honda do still cover if there turns out to be a problem...will work out which dealer i need to take it to tomorrow

Anyone ideas?

dw its normal, happens to me as well

you will soon find other problems... i.e - left door rattling when the music is cranked up :), right side of the car lower than left..

FDPete
28-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Mmm, cant be normal, where is the water coming from??

I had given it a quick was on Saturday at the local car wash (just used the high pressure spray, no brush of course don't want swirl marks!!)...does it collect water anywhere? I was thinking that maybe its not draining correctly through the channels therefore there is a small build up of H2O that would start dripping...

Left door thankfully doesn't rattle have cranked it up, although i am thinking of changing the front speakers as they are crap..may add some tweeters as well.car sits level as far as i can see.

Busy at work today will try and get it booked into a dealer this week

fitme
28-10-2009, 01:09 PM
its normal.....its a condensed water coming from your aircon unit...its coming from the evaporators drain tube..so nothing to worry about...

cheers

FDPete
28-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Hope so!!

Sorry to drag this out, but would this still happen even if the aircon hasn't been used? (as in this case)

howy
28-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Hope so!!

Sorry to drag this out, but would this still happen even if the aircon hasn't been used? (as in this case)

Maybe you should check if the aircon works?

Doesn't VTI-L and Sport have climate control?

FDPete
28-10-2009, 03:33 PM
yep tried the aircon yesterday works fine

~Sp33~
28-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Swirl marks from the brush? lol. Scratches maybe... If you don't clean it out.

curtis265
28-10-2009, 08:14 PM
lol my right side and left side isn't the same height too

fitme
28-10-2009, 08:41 PM
^^ which one is higher? is it the driver side??