PDA

View Full Version : how hard: changing batteries

stanleym
17-05-2007, 08:05 PM
hey guys i think my battery has just about karked it ..

just wonderin if changing the batetry was a simple diy job??

anythin i need to worry/think about before doing it etc

thanks for the heads up
sam

dsp26
17-05-2007, 08:18 PM
undo the positive terminal first
- negative next
- undo brackets
- put new one in.
- re-install.

Just make sure the clamp around your factory leads can actually clamp tightly to the battery connector...

A certain 'uberCHEAP' store put a random battery in for my gfs celica... connectors were too small so he used a screw as a spacer.. faggot!! i would have smashed him if i didn't have work that day.

stanleym
17-05-2007, 08:21 PM
cheers man...

screw as a spacer?? wtf

HondaTechy
17-05-2007, 08:35 PM
disconnect negative first then positive,when you reconnect it positive first the negative last.only need a 10mm spanner

stanleym
17-05-2007, 08:39 PM
lol 2 differing opinions.... who to trust...

bennjamin
17-05-2007, 08:50 PM
its NEGATIVE first.
Then , take care and undo the POSITIVE.
Remove battery holder etc , remove battery , reinstall new battery and install in the exact opposite order. (positive then negative.)

HondaTechy
17-05-2007, 08:58 PM
two to one man i do it all day trust me its neative first.make sure you have your radio code handy as well

stanleym
17-05-2007, 09:18 PM
radio code lol its all good i dun have standard hu

thanks for all ur help guys

dsp26
17-05-2007, 09:19 PM
but why?

you'd want the electrical system to remain grounded in case of shorts

ACTI0NMAN-1
17-05-2007, 09:21 PM
i think he needs a write up. infact, i'll do it if no-ones done one yet... tomorrow.

bennjamin
17-05-2007, 09:24 PM
you'd want the electrical system to remain grounded in case of shorts

thats actually wrong - you remove the negative first to prevent shorts :)

bennjamin
17-05-2007, 09:25 PM
thats actually wrong - you remove the negative first to prevent shorts :)

Beat ya to it.

Borrowed from http://www.ehow.com/how_112575_change-cars-battery.html

Steps

Step One

With the engine off, pop the hood and find the battery. Detach the negative (black) battery cable from the battery. First loosen the nut with a combination wrench and then twist and pull up on the end of the cable with your hand. You may need to pry up the cable end with a screwdriver if it sticks.

Step Two

Detach the positive (red) battery cable from the battery using the same method.

Step Three

Using a combination wrench or a socket and ratchet, remove the battery hold-down clamp.

Step Four

Take the battery out of the battery tray. Batteries are heavy, so grab from the bottom using both hands.

Step Five

Use water and a wire brush to clean any corrosion from the battery tray and the hold-down clamp.

Step Six

Clean the battery cable connectors with a wire brush. To remove heavy corrosion from the connectors, use battery-cleaning solution (available at any auto-parts store).

Step Seven

Place the new battery in the battery hold-down tray and secure the battery with the hold-down clamp. Attach and tighten the positive battery cable. Attach and tighten the negative battery cable. Spray both terminal ends with anti-corrosion solution (optional). Check that all cable connectors are tight. If you can move them at all, your car may not start.

dsp26
17-05-2007, 09:26 PM
hhmmm.. fair enough. i stand corrected.:thumbsup:

ACTI0NMAN-1
17-05-2007, 09:29 PM
So can check if the battery has charge with my tongue yeh??

shadou
17-05-2007, 09:33 PM
yeah as everyone has stated NEG always goes off first and connected last. And for anyone with a CVT transmission you will need to bring it to HONDA to get it done as d/c the battery will erase the 'start clutch calibration' and may/will damage the transmission apparently.

stanleym
17-05-2007, 09:48 PM
i dun think my teg has one rite 96 dc4...

the swap seems simple enough

shadou
17-05-2007, 09:50 PM
only auto HRV's most auto jazz all other Honda's should be fine.

shadou
17-05-2007, 11:34 PM
thought start clutch calibration required a bit of time and the HDS to tell you when it has completed it's learning.

kraiye
18-05-2007, 06:24 AM
easy way to remember...
when removing or 'subtracting' the terminals, do the '-' terminal first.
when putting them back on or 'adding' the terminals, do the '+' terminal first
:thumbsup: