PDA

View Full Version : sealing holes in mufflers

vinnY
18-05-2007, 12:20 AM
whats the best way to seal a hole in a muffler? i've seen muffler repair kits in supercheap, anyone used those before?
also depending on the size of the hole, i thought about using selleys kneadit steel which might work

any more suggestions?

Eclipsor
18-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I've used selleys kneadit with success. Was a fairly large hole. Dosn't look pretty but it does the job. Used exhaust putty on a few smaller ones around flanges etc too. It seems to work but it's very brittle and probably wouldn't last as long or handle bumps as well.

BluEG
18-05-2007, 10:14 AM
there is a few product on the shelf you can buy
dedending how big the hole is?

muffler putty,
as mentioned selley's knead it,
and muffler bandage repair kits.

hope this helps

Limbo
18-05-2007, 02:02 PM
i've used the muffler seals before, on small holes they work really well, just need to rem to keep putting pressure on the wrapping.
But on large holes not as good, as they usually break or become loose. After using a few of them the best was using this;

1 drink can (whichever you like). Cut it out so that it is a flat sheet. Be carefuls as its Bl00dy sharp!

Clean the area, then use exhaust gasket glue to glue it onto the spot using the can sheet as a patch. I used some wire to hold it in place whilst drying and then its good as. If your good enough at keeping it a neat job you won't notice it and can paint it later if you like

dsp26
18-05-2007, 04:40 PM
after using a few... say on a bigger hole, use the putty first and use the kneadit over it.

the putty hardens but cracks/flakes off though very solid in sealing when it WAS sealed.

**NOTE**
don't use polyurethane like i did to seal a cat hole.. i did a flamabiltiy test AFTER i applied.. very retarded of me i must say and yeah it was very flamable when it actually caught on fire.

ACTI0NMAN-1
18-05-2007, 04:43 PM
yeh dont use putty on any part that has flex or a joint as it flakes and crumbles. i suggest something like kneed it

EG5
18-05-2007, 04:48 PM
just replace it / weld it.

dsp26
18-05-2007, 04:51 PM
1 drink can (whichever you like). Cut it out so that it is a flat sheet. Be carefuls as its Bl00dy sharp!

Clean the area, then use exhaust gasket glue to glue it onto the spot using the can sheet as a patch. I used some wire to hold it in place whilst drying and then its good as. If your good enough at keeping it a neat job you won't notice it and can paint it later if you like

i can visualize this... doesn't sound like a bad a idea at all... the idea is just soo ghetto to me though lol.

just replace it / weld it.
^^he's right... especially if it's small, it would be cheaper than a tube of some of the sealants out there for like $20. i bet a decent exhaust place wouldn't even bother charging for it.

ACTI0NMAN-1
18-05-2007, 04:52 PM
i had trouble with my exhaust connection to my cat, so i used exhaust putty instead of a gasket. worst idea ever. soon it all cracked and made a shit awful rocks in a tin can sound when it cracked. just need to get a flex pipe to prevent the stress on gaskets.

SiReal
18-05-2007, 04:54 PM
my manager got his international roast coffee can, cut sheets off it i think he riveted it onto his muffler, then used putty to seal up the gaps.