PDA

View Full Version : Civic or new Corolla

^__^ SM ^__^
18-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Hello everyone.

My girlfriend is thinking of trading her Astra in for either a Civic or the new Corolla. She's thinking either a Civic sport or Corolla ultima with the sunroof.

I was wondering what's everyone's opinion is. I don't know much about the small car catagory. I only research mid-size when I bought Euro.

Thanks much in advance.

destrukshn
18-05-2007, 09:38 AM
corolla.
civics are overrated.
lol.

ALF487
18-05-2007, 09:40 AM
civic!! corrolla has fugly design.. and the interior is nowhere close to new civic.. civic ftw yo

shinji112
18-05-2007, 09:41 AM
yeah corollas are very bullet proof.. parts are cheap and plenty! it aint one of the most popular cars in the world for no reason! and the new one coming out soon too.. looks like an evolution of the current one.. in silver it looks nice.. in maroon its a no-no (only saw pics of it in those colours)

aaronng
18-05-2007, 10:22 AM
For the price of the Ultima, go for the Sport. Because you get a 2.0L engine instead of the lethargic 1.8L (which needs a manual to shine).

steve88
18-05-2007, 11:01 AM
i like corolla's honestly, the new ones look hot. especially in black

T.E.D.
18-05-2007, 11:04 AM
IF YOU VISIT 'www.civictyper.com.au' there is a new civic type r coming out around the middle of the year in aus. the talk is asking low $40,000's. comes in any colour as long as you like red, silver or white.

Zdster
18-05-2007, 11:50 AM
IF YOU VISIT 'www.civictyper.com.au' there is a new civic type r coming out around the middle of the year in aus. the talk is asking low $40,000's. comes in any colour as long as you like red, silver or white.

Thats a good suggestion except:
a) it is a completly different car to the both the current civic and corolla
b) it is more expensive

kn1ghtm4r3
18-05-2007, 12:25 PM
get yourself those hyundai getz lolol

IS250
18-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Wait for the new Lancer, that car looks great. Engine doesn't seem too shabby as well - 2.0L Mivec, 113kw, 198nm, claimed 0-100km/h of 7.8secs. The interior even looks nice as well!

aaronng
18-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Wait for the new Lancer, that car looks great. Engine doesn't seem too shabby as well - 2.0L Mivec, 113kw, 198nm, claimed 0-100km/h of 7.8secs. The interior even looks nice as well!

Estimated to cost $35000 as well. Might as well get an Accord Euro auto for that price.

hondarox
18-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Corolla definitely.
Civic has 5 speed auto trans, Corolla has 4 speed auto trans.
Corolla has 6 speed manual trans, Civic has 5 speed manual trans.
Corolla is from Japan, Civic is from Thailand except the Hybrid which is from Japan.
Corolla is a new release, Civic is more than 15 months old.
Corolla has 6 speakers, Civic has 4.
Corolla has DOHC, Civic has SOHC except for the Sport.
Corolla has 55L fuel tank, Civic has 50L.
Corolla has trip computer and external temp indicator.
Corolla has standard electric power steering.
Corolla has illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirrors.
Corolla comes with a fixed service price of $120 for the first six standard scheduled service.
Corolla has split fold rear seats.
Corolla has 4 cup holders.

IS250
18-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Estimated to cost $35000 as well. Might as well get an Accord Euro auto for that price.

Yes well he did mention that she was looking at a Corolla Ultima or a Civic Sport, either of which will be pushing close to $35,000 anyway.

It doesn't even have to be a VRX model, even the base model will be very well equipped with 7 airbags and ABS. In the States you can get a mid range model for around US$23,000, which also includes a 650W Rockford Fosgate sound system and a sunroof while the top of the range GTS comes with a proximity key similar to the ones used by Lexus.

Interesting fact: the new Lancer's torsional rigidity exceeds that of the current EVO 9.

chunky
18-05-2007, 09:58 PM
new corolla looks hawttttt

Jazzle
18-05-2007, 11:39 PM
if you want a hatch and manual.. corolla... corolla has 6 speed gear box standard =)

yesiamaturk
19-05-2007, 12:55 AM
the new rolla for sure

Nugget02
19-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Corolla definitely.
Corolla has DOHC, Civic has SOHC.
-> Nah ure wrong man, Civic sport IS DOHC...

Corolla has a trip computer and external temp indicator.
-> So does the Civ sports...

-> Again, so does the Civ sports...

Civics has a 2.0L engine, corolla does not.
Civics has auxiliary input, corolla does not. [has it optional]
Civics rolls in stylish 17", corolla does not.

dunt get me wrong but, despite all that, i like the new rolla too...;)

chylld
19-05-2007, 08:39 AM
corolla.
civics are overrated.
lol.

agreed.

OP: definitely get the corolla. with the civic you're taking a gamble wrt build quality. my 12 month old civic has a 26-item long problem history, i wouldn't wish the same on anyone else.

NeoNode
19-05-2007, 08:44 AM
The sunroof option doesn't appear to be offered with the Corolla Ultima.
Anyways, the automatic gearbox on the Corolla transforms the car into a nugget, if only they offered a 5 speed auto for this new model.

57UDD
19-05-2007, 08:55 AM

by the time all the CTP and stamp duty is calculated its going to be at least $46,500. i should know :D

chylld
19-05-2007, 08:59 AM
by the time all the CTP and stamp duty is calculated its going to be at least $46,500. i should know :D

congrats :D

T.E.D.
19-05-2007, 10:29 AM

so would you say civic or corolla? is the extra 10g's worth it?

^__^ SM ^__^
19-05-2007, 11:00 AM
My Gf is gonna go test drive both today. I'm coming too :D
Will let everyone know the result.

didz
19-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Corolla definitely.
Corolla is from Japan, Civic is from Thailand.
Corolla is a new release, Civic is more than 15 months old.
Corolla has 6 speakers, Civic has 4.
Corolla has DOHC, Civic has SOHC.
Corolla has 55L fuel tank, Civic has 50L.
Corolla has a trip computer and external temp indicator.
Corolla has electric power steering in all models.
Corolla has illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirrors.
Corolla comes with a fixed service price of $120 for the first six standard scheduled service.
Corolla has 4 cup holders.

My friends 06 Civic has a badge on it saying "Built in JAPAN"

Jazzle
20-05-2007, 12:52 AM
well if you're gonna go for the top model.. then go for civic sport... corolla levin zr is using same engine as the ascent... imo not worth the money.

^__^ SM ^__^
20-05-2007, 08:53 AM
My GF test drove both and liked the Ultima more than the Sport :( She said her parents said Corolla are more reliable as her dad has a Prado Landcruiser. (I'm like... you can't compare to that!)

The dealer only had 1 silver Ultima sedan and said that stock was limited so long waiting. So we got the floor stock, not to my liking cuz it's a new model and people sit in it and play with the lights, stereo etc.

Managed to get $34000 drive away with mats and tint and full tank petrol. Ah well... tried my best to get her a Honda ;) Thank you all for your inputs.

Jazzle
20-05-2007, 12:09 PM
congratulation mate,, hope u and ur gf like the car.. how's the ride and engine comparing to the civic??

=) guess it's a girl thing,, my gf seems to like the look of the new corolla more too

hondarox
20-05-2007, 12:26 PM
My friends 06 Civic has a badge on it saying "Built in JAPAN"
The '06 Civic Hybrid is "Built in Japan". The other models, VTi, VTi-L and Sport are "Built in Thailand".

^__^ SM ^__^
20-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Ride is quite good for a small car, very quiet (not like maz 3). Engine noisier than Sport on acceleration but quiet cruising on freeway. not sure about real power bc i was only passenger and don't know how much she was putting on the pedal.

I think it's the dash that won her over to the corolla. she don't like the civ's dash.

siu789
28-05-2007, 01:32 PM
@_@'''so how much 4 the rolla ?.?'''
doesn't it had VVti-L ???

aaronng
28-05-2007, 02:35 PM
@_@'''so how much 4 the rolla ?.?'''
doesn't it had VVti-L ???

No, only the Sportivo had VVTL-i

dc2dc2dc2
28-05-2007, 02:36 PM
new sportivo looks fulllly sick !

tommmoe
28-05-2007, 06:22 PM
only corolla i'd EVER buy is a sportivo with VVTI-L :)

hondarox
28-05-2007, 07:58 PM
No, only the Sportivo had VVTL-i

VVT-i is standard on all Corolla hatch and sedan variants.
http://www.toyota.com.au/corolla

Fo55il
28-05-2007, 10:50 PM
corolla also has free infinite car wash, my best friend gets unlimited free car washes. lol
dunno if dat helps u make a decision, but thought id share sum knowledge!!

aaronng
28-05-2007, 11:30 PM

:) I said VVTL-i is found only on the Sportivo.

Yes, VVT-i is standard across all the normal Corolla range.

Jazzle
29-05-2007, 12:23 AM
does new rolla have sportivo variant?

JaCe
29-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I went with a mate to check out the new Toyota but for some reason, even though it appeared good on the outside, it just didn't seem that good as I was expecting. Not that I test drove the 4 speed auto, but considering the price, even the flagship models weren't that spectacular. On paper it appears great but apart from the flagship which has a slightly nicer finish on the interior (at $33k), the other models feel as whitegoods as ever. Sure there are improvements, but I'd say the base model Civic looks a lot nicer inside and is generally more comfy to sit in. Without driving it I don't know how good it is, but I'd think the old 4speed isn't going to be revolutionary or maybe even comparable to the excellent 5speed auto in the Civic.

But meh I'm biased.

corolla also has free infinite car wash, my best friend gets unlimited free car washes. lol

Isn't that a dealer specific thing?

hondarox
29-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I went with a mate to check out the new Toyota but for some reason, even though it appeared good on the outside, it just didn't seem that good as I was expecting. Not that I test drove the 4 speed auto, but considering the price, even the flagship models weren't that spectacular. On paper it appears great but apart from the flagship which has a slightly nicer finish on the interior (at $33k), the other models feel as whitegoods as ever. Sure there are improvements, but I'd say the base model Civic looks a lot nicer inside and is generally more comfy to sit in. Without driving it I don't know how good it is, but I'd think the old 4speed isn't going to be revolutionary or maybe even comparable to the excellent 5speed auto in the Civic.

But meh I'm biased.

Isn't that a dealer specific thing?

IMO the Civic's front looks good but the rear styling especially the tail lights is horrible. I guess in the end it's still a question of spending the same money on a just released Japanese Toyota vs a fifteen month old Thai Honda.

BC8
29-05-2007, 08:41 PM
saw the corolla on display and it must admit, its pretty ugly in real life compared to the photos online and in the brochures
it sits pretty high and the bonnet is short, i'll go for the civic
more nice

IAMVTEC
29-05-2007, 10:39 PM
pffff nobody expects the upper level Corollas to sell, including Toyota themselves. Youve got to be mad to buy a whatever Corolla instead of a Civic sports.

Civic Vti vs the Corolla ascent is the only comparison. Even then Id go with Civic 100 times out of 100. Does anybody even remember how crap Corollas really are?

IAMVTEC
29-05-2007, 10:44 PM

If you drive a Corolla, you wont even want to wash your car.

I cant believe all this Corolla love, haha have any of you guys actually driven, touched or actually been inside a Corolla?

Elmo
30-05-2007, 10:15 AM
:) I said VVTL-i is found only on the Sportivo.

Yes, VVT-i is standard across all the normal Corolla range.

The new Corolla actually has Dual VVTi similar to the Aurion. It's the better technology as it controls both intake and exhaust. :)

aaronng
30-05-2007, 01:48 PM
The new Corolla actually has Dual VVTi similar to the Aurion. It's the better technology as it controls both intake and exhaust. :)

Yeah, and it now makes 100kW. It's interesting that the first gen of ZZE corollas in also made 100kW using only VVTi on the intake side. :) Damn emissions requirements

NightKids
30-05-2007, 02:20 PM
This might help your decision a bit easier:-

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67596

aaronng
30-05-2007, 02:39 PM
This might help your decision a bit easier:-

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67596

That's only for a handful of cars though. The civic owners that I know personally have no problem with theirs, other than the quick-wearing tyres.

nvmee
15-07-2007, 05:27 PM
ive just recently sold my car and now im stuck in a dilemma. i have 15k to buy a car. unless i get a loan

im thinking of a b16a civic as i like the look of the Eg but like any other civic the interior is halfassed. absolutely hate the gap between the knob and the climate control, whereas on the other hand prelude bb6 models have DECENT interior while the exterior isnt all that good looking imo.

not long ago i was contemplating on a commodore 2001 vx II s pack, but due to the increase in petrol id thought id stay away from a big car. ive driven both the mazda 3 manual and the corolla 04 model auto.

maz 3 manual = decent car, nice interior, nice exterior. but i hate mazdas because i hear their reliability is poor. and plus ive owned a mazda/ford before.
euros = overpriced so thats a no no
corolla auto = decent interior and decent exterior, not exactly a rocket, and i dont know about you guys but does it take a fair bit of petrol?
sportivo corolla? = anyone know any info or positive feedbacks about it? i personally havent driven one but supposely they have the lift that vtecs have too. btw wat does it rev up too. at the moment this is the car i wouldnt mind taking a few Gs loan.

any other suggestions? preferably not a car that is gona cost me 3-4k to insure (aka sports/turbo cars).

pretty much i drive alot on the highways, and in the afternoon its about a 5 mins drive from my house to work, so would it be bad idea to get a v8/v6? of is a 4 banger the way to go

and although i have my bike licence i dont think its worth buying a bike without a car. but im only prepared topay for one

industrie
16-07-2007, 10:25 AM
simple option is to drive the car, or let your gf go for a test drive...thats how simple it is...good luck!

Drew
16-07-2007, 10:35 AM
yeah corollas are very bullet proof.. parts are cheap and plenty!

Because you deal with Toyota Genuine Spare Parts like everyday right?

Toyota are the worst for spare parts... It's easier to get a flux capacitor for a Civic than it is to get a brake hose for a Camry

Fizz
16-07-2007, 11:48 AM
:p ordered the new 'rolla ascent sedan for me wife...should be collecting it next month hopefully. she just preferred it over the civic vti. i test drove it too...not bad actually....pretty decent ride.

wilzee
16-07-2007, 08:43 PM
The Civic i think is personally hotter. Corollas are always going to be corollas. even if they are reliable. Every tom dick and harry has one. The Corollas maybe hotter now but in 15 months time. Ask yourself, does anyone think the corolla is hotter than the civic? For me, it's hot because it's new. that's all.

If you drive a Corolla, you wont even want to wash your car.

I cant believe all this Corolla love, haha have any of you guys actually driven, touched or actually been inside a Corolla?

Cheers to that. If i bought a Corolla instead of a civic, i can guarantee you i'd never wash it! I'll have no pride in owning one. :thumbdwn: I have pride in owning a civic tho! :thumbsup:

denot
18-07-2007, 10:37 AM
just say it like this, civic FD is a bit too big for a female driver and corolla is to girly for a male driver... I was also thinking buying corolla before I bought my sports, the reason? My gf like corolla better!!! (same as SM gf as well I suposse... :p)

Cheers to that. If i bought a Corolla instead of a civic, i can guarantee you i'd never wash it! I'll have no pride in owning one. :thumbdwn: I have pride in owning a civic tho! :thumbsup:

Feel ya brother!!!! :p

denot
18-07-2007, 10:42 AM

i thought VVT-i is even available on Yaris? :p

industrie
18-07-2007, 10:49 AM
the new corolla isnt that bad...the wheel selctions on the cars are pretty nice as well...but saying that a corolla is like any other car as tom dick and harry has one goes the same with alot of cars...bmw, ford, holden, toyota i mean if the car drives well, suits your budget, etc i dont think it matters how common it is...

nvmee
18-07-2007, 11:06 AM
the new corolla isnt that bad...the wheel selctions on the cars are pretty nice as well...but saying that a corolla is like any other car as tom dick and harry has one goes the same with alot of cars...bmw, ford, holden, toyota i mean if the car drives well, suits your budget, etc i dont think it matters how common it is...

yups cant agree with you more.

UNLS1
18-07-2007, 11:26 AM
just remember the civic will have better re sale.
The corolla is sold to lots of the fleet companys and when u go to sell them there are heaps on the market!
where the civic is not sold to big fleets.

keric_02
25-07-2007, 07:42 PM
just remember the civic will have better re sale.
The corolla is sold to lots of the fleet companys and when u go to sell them there are heaps on the market!
where the civic is not sold to big fleets.

bingo... i'd stay away from a corolla... not only is the resale not as good, but it's only been out for a few months.

Like all new models, theres going be small problems which get discovered along the way. The civic has been out since 06, therefore some of the minor issues have been ironed out. If you're super keen on the corolla, buy next years release. Just something to consider.

aaronng
25-07-2007, 09:23 PM
bingo... i'd stay away from a corolla... not only is the resale not as good, but it's only been out for a few months.

Like all new models, theres going be small problems which get discovered along the way. The civic has been out since 06, therefore some of the minor issues have been ironed out. If you're super keen on the corolla, buy next years release. Just something to consider.

The 07 Civic still hasn't gotten a facelift (and no problems fixed), so the 06 and 07 are the same with regards to teething problems.

yfin
25-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Like all new models, theres going be small problems which get discovered along the way.

There are degrees of that though. Some of the things I have read about the new Civic are not that great in terms of fit and finish. It didn't score too well in that whichcar reliabilty survey either.

Aco3n
25-07-2007, 10:40 PM
the sportivo has an excellent speedo.. I love it.. only for the sake of the speedo.. lol.. but I'm not saying corolla is bad.. test it before.. and love the driving experience..

but in basic model.. speedo looking crap..