PDA

View Full Version : engine light after installing pod filter in 06 civic

proton
19-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Here's hoping someone here can help me.

I have an 06 civic FD and I've recently put in a short ram intake consisting of short stainless steel tubing with a stainless steel mesh filter at the end. I've kept the stock resonator and piping from the resonator intact meaning that the only part i changed is from the throttle body to the pod filter.

However after installing this setup my engine light comes on and honda says its coz I'm running too lean so the engine light comes on, I find this hard to believe because many epople have put in Short ram intakes and had no problems so I was wondering if anyone with some experience could help me with this problem.

Thanks, any help is appreciated

blk_shadow
19-05-2007, 11:51 AM
check your mass air flow sensor. did it loose?
did u change the TB?

or maybe it has nothing to do with the SRI. running lean is cos of fuel.

my car did run lean last time, but engine light didn't came on. just hesitation. but with the the 06 civic, the engine light warning can be different to mine one.

|N|
19-05-2007, 12:55 PM
um... maybe try reset the ecu first.. see if it does the same

Bob san
19-05-2007, 01:19 PM
check your mass air flow sensor properly. the new civics run lean outta the factory cos thats how they were designed for fuel economy.

btw what brand of SRI do u have? if so how much ?

aaronng
19-05-2007, 02:00 PM
The VTi and VTI-L have this problem because of the mass air flow sensor which is not used in the other Hondas.

proton
19-05-2007, 11:43 PM
check your mass air flow sensor properly. the new civics run lean outta the factory cos thats how they were designed for fuel economy.

btw what brand of SRI do u have? if so how much ?

Its similar to the simota intake piping and I've got a BMG stainless steel mesh filter at the end of it. Cost is $250 all in

proton
19-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied, I did not change my TB and I will go check that mass air flow sensor (its the one on the stock intake box right, rectangular sorta air flow sensor?)

I already got Honda to clear the codes so hopefully it doesn't come back

blk_shadow
19-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied, I did not change my TB and I will go check that mass air flow sensor (its the one on the stock intake box right, rectangular sorta air flow sensor?)

yeah that's the one, it looks like a plastic bit attached to the intake pipe.

EG30
20-05-2007, 01:13 AM
may be the oil in the air filter has contaminated your air mass sensor and thus triggering the check eng light.

proton
20-05-2007, 11:38 AM
may be the oil in the air filter has contaminated your air mass sensor and thus triggering the check eng light.

I don't think it could be that, the stainless steel filters don't have any oil on them unlike the K & N type ones. thanks for the input though

aaronng
20-05-2007, 01:20 PM
It's the MAF sensor. Seen it happen to another VTi using a non-oiled pod.

e240
20-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I have an 06 civic FD and I've recently put in a short ram intake consisting of short stainless steel tubing with a stainless steel mesh filter at the end.

Good bye engine.....:angel:

proton
20-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Good bye engine.....:angel:

?????

blk_shadow
20-05-2007, 10:40 PM
?????

yeah, me too.
??????

gerard
21-05-2007, 04:44 PM
He m,eant that ss mesh do not filter well and you may have accelerated engine wear in the long term.

can you verify if your maf sensor is mounted on the new pipe?, some have cel bcos the inlet diameter is too large allowing too much air to flow thru without the maf sensor picking it up.

proton
22-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah my maf sensor is mounted on the new pipe pretty firmly, checked and double checked a few times, the piping looks the same size as the stock airbox piping size. However now, after honda cleared the codes, the light hasn't come back at all with the same setup. I really wonder what's going on

Rhys1983
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey,

I just joined this forum because i am having the same problem. I installed a CAI onto my 2006 VTI civic and the check engine light has come up. The kit i used is the same is this one from eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110123968959

I have doubled checked the AFM and there is no problem with it. Its sealed properly and the filter is not an oil type, its not oil causing the problem. A few people have said that the new civics run lean from factory and putting on something like this makes it worse therefore the check engine light comes on. Is there anyway to fix this? Also, will disconnecting the battery have the same effect as Honda clearing the codes from the computer, as i have disconnected the battery and it fixes the problem for around 10min and the light comes back on again.

Proton, i have tried to PM you, but your inbox is full. I wanted to know if the check engine light has come back since Honda cleared the codes.

Thanks
Rhys

dannybubu
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
is that pod filter kit any good?...is that better than just the normal pod filters? coz they suck up hot air from the engine bay...

Rhys1983
04-06-2007, 04:11 PM
this kit is pretty good, the carbon fiber box insulated the filter from the heat from the engine, so pretty much cold air is sucked up from outside. You might still get a bit of hot air because no amount of insulation will stop everything getting though, but its better then nothing at all

Rhys