PDA

View Full Version : Roof Mount LCD installation - Experience

MIRZ
21-05-2007, 02:26 PM
just wondering if anyone here has done Roof mount LCD screen installation?

something similar to this one:
http://www.lindacctv.com/sdp/144757/4/pd-1082004/1474368-542616.html

it require only one cable from LCD screen to DVD/CD player in console.

can someone pls tell me from where this cable runs? i mean does it go from door hinge through roof, or does it go from roof to back and then run through floor???

aka_NSX
21-05-2007, 03:04 PM
usually they have signal, audio cable, interior light cable, power cable and din plug to go to the hideaway unit for the screen. then you need to run it from the roof top to the middle side of the car where the seat belt then go down, I hope this will help :D

MIRZ
21-05-2007, 03:14 PM
thanks aka_NSX. just opened my box received today in mail.

the one i bought from eBay, has following 3 wires:

1 - 12V +ve (Red)
2 - Ground (Black)
3 - Light (Yellow)

i suppose these above 3 wires will simply connect to wires in roof-light (need to remove roof light, and replace with this screen as this screen has its own built-in roof or doom lights)

then it has one S-Video cable which basicaly i need to run from middle of roof (where roof or doom light is) to floor. (they way you sugegsted aka_NSX would be the best, but still have to check in my car tonight)

and from that point it has a new cable which has s-video plug and on other side and regular RF video and audio connectors for 2 Video inputs.

still waiting for DVD plyer to get delivered. but seems like its gonna be a busy saturday :)

dreamshifter
21-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Not sure if its much help but it gives a rough idea of how to install.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/video_video.html?format=mov

aka_NSX
21-05-2007, 09:02 PM
the one i bought from eBay, has following 3 wires:

1 - 12V +ve (Red)
2 - Ground (Black)
3 - Light (Yellow)

i suppose these above 3 wires will simply connect to wires in roof-light (need to remove roof light, and replace with this screen as this screen has its own built-in roof or doom lights)

you only connect # 3 to the dome light the rest you need to connect to 12v +ve and ground, and check again whether the 12v you need to connect to constant or Acc

MIRZ
22-05-2007, 08:43 AM
it has very limited documentation (not surprised)

opened doom light last night, its socket has three wires in it. one must be constant 12V, not sure if it has ground, will check that tonight, and dont know what 3rd wire is there for.

LCD screen has its own power ON/OFF button.

LCD screen has built-in doom lights, how can i connect that to existing doom light connection so they will turn ON with door OPEN?

need to run only one S-video cable from LCD to in-dash DVD/CD player.

MIRZ
22-05-2007, 09:08 AM
here are 3 wires in doom light:

1 - BLACK (black ground)
2 - BLACK/WHITE (if door is open)
3 - WHITE/BLUE (seem like constant 12V)

pls correct me if wrong here, thanks.

MIRZ
22-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Not sure if its much help but it gives a rough idea of how to install.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/video_video.html?format=mov

it is fantastic, thanks heaps for link. :wave:

D4rk4n63l
23-05-2007, 04:19 AM
the dome light uses negative trigger meaning that it will have a constant +12v all the time. The other wires being constant ground and door switch ground..

you will need to connect the red and black to the white and black wires on the dome light. As for the yellow wires, you will need to check with the manual if its negative triggered or positive triggered.. if it is negative then you simply connect that to the black/white wire on the dome light, but if its positive triggered then you will need to install a simple relay to enable the dome light function on the LCD. Let me know if you need help to wire the relay if you need it...

one last tip is being the LCD has its own power switch, I recommend connecting the red (+12) to your car's acc wire, reason is that in case you forget to turn the LCD off, it will shut off when you turn off the ignition. However, if the LCD do not have a separate constant +12v all settings (brightness, contrast, etc) will be lost every time you turn off the ignition. It is totally up to you, so if you reckon you can always remember to turn it off then simply connect the RED wire to the constant +12v on the dome light

MIRZ
23-05-2007, 01:06 PM
thanks D3rk4n63l, for such a detailed and informative response.

i installed this screen last night (sort of), have not given final finishing touch, still bit hanging there, lol. :wave:

connected in this way, atm:

LCD wires -> Doom-light wires
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Red (constant +ve) -> WHITE/BLUE (constant +12V)
Black (ground) -> BLACK (black ground)
Yellow (light) -> BLACK/WHITE (if door is open)

Now following is happening:

if i turn on, switch on LCD unit ON, doom lights stays ON, they are not working with doors.

LCD screen gets power seperatly through S-Video cable. it has follwoing 2 wires only with a small box which contains a fuse and few capacitors:

Red +12V
Black (ground)

both doom lights and LCD screen are getting power seperatly.

i will try following now:

- LCD +12v will connect to accessory (as advised, not much concern about settings on screen).

bit confused here to use relay. :confused:

MIRZ
23-05-2007, 01:31 PM
As for the yellow wires, you will need to check with the manual if its negative triggered or positive triggered.. if it is negative then you simply connect that to the black/white wire on the dome light, but if its positive triggered then you will need to install a simple relay to enable the dome light function on the LCD. Let me know if you need help to wire the relay if you need it...

i did connect Yellow wire to Black/White (door open), but this is making light constantly ON, no matter door is open or close. :confused:

can you pls explain how can i connect relay here to make it work, thanks heaps. :honda:

D4rk4n63l
23-05-2007, 03:08 PM
first I need to know what pulse each wire gives on door open/close status... whether its positive or negative.. relay wiring depends on these information.

But to give you an idea, relay is basically a electronic switch. You will need to give it a trigger (positive and negative pulse) for it to close the connection for whatever you want to be switched on or off. Normally it has 2 pairs of connectors, one being the trigger and one pair for the actual switch itself.. what u need to do is to connect the door trigger and constant +12v (if the door trigger is negative pulse or connect constant ground if the door trigger is positive) to the relay's trigger pair and then connect constant +12v and the yellow wire to the other pair

D4rk4n63l
25-05-2007, 06:02 AM

this is a diagram of a simple 12v relay.. if you supply pin C and D with 12v the A-B circuit will close and make the connection. So, if I assume that your LCD dome light is positive triggered, then you connect the WHITE/BLUE wire to pin A and C, BLACK/WHITE to pin D, and finally the YELLOW wire from your LCD to pin B. But I dont understand how can it stayed ON like u said.. a scan of the installation manual would be helpful:thumbsup: :thumbsup: