PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne - Albury for new Euro?

lordlissie
21-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Wondering about the run-in period on my new Euro.

I have 400km up and have to go to Albury in a couple of weeks.
Is the 6 hours at constant 110km up and back a sensible thing to do during the first 1000km? Okay if I run it in different gears?

Take another car?

TIA.

Jegi#5
21-05-2007, 04:38 PM
You'll have no issues mate! I took mine from Sydney to Canberra in my first week of ownership and have since taken it up to Newcastle and recently came back from a trip down to Melbourne and Ballarat, you'll have no problems. Chuck it into 6th and your cruising!!!

industrie
21-05-2007, 04:38 PM
thats fine, it should be run in, i wouldnt worry about the gear thing, just drive normally dont push it too hard and youll be fine

mugen88
21-05-2007, 04:53 PM
The long drive should be ok as it is pretty straight and steady plus you'll get more familar with the euro.

When are you going I also heading up that way next week?

lordlissie
21-05-2007, 04:55 PM
When are you going I also heading up that way next week?

First weekend in June. Wasn't sure if the first oil change should take place - it's likely to come back with 1500km on the odo :)

mugen88
21-05-2007, 04:58 PM
First weekend in June. Wasn't sure if the first oil change should take place - it's likely to come back with 1500km on the odo :)

Ah I will be there on the 1st June for the morning then driving back to Melb.

Yr first service will cover everything and should be fine even with 1500k's.

yfin
21-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Wondering about the run-in period on my new Euro.

I have 400km up and have to go to Albury in a couple of weeks.
Is the 6 hours at constant 110km up and back a sensible thing to do during the first 1000km? Okay if I run it in different gears?

Take another car?

TIA.

If you want your engine to remain tight and lack potential - drive to Albury in cruise at 110kph and top gear.

You really should change the speed and gears often for at least the first 1500kms- maybe go back roads so you are stirring the gears more than 110kph in 6th all the time on the Hume Highway. I wouldn't use cruise control either. Your Euro will thank you later if you do this.

aday
21-05-2007, 10:53 PM
You really should change the speed and gears often for at least the first 1500kms- maybe go back roads so you are stirring the gears more than 110kph in 6th all the time on the Hume Highway. I wouldn't use cruise control either. Your Euro will thank you later if you do this.

Agreed. Although every man and his dog has a theory on good run-in practice, a commonly-held belief (backed by good research) is that it's best to be varying the engine speed regularly for the first thousand km of the car's life.

From the factory, tolerances between engine parts, while good, aren't perfect, and running in is a critical final process in machining the parts to work together with a minimum of friction. The oil supplied at delivery is a very coarse blend - it's designed to effectively machine the parts down to smooth and consistent surfaces, which will give good performance and economy for the rest of the engine's life.

If you spend too much time at a constant engine rpm, the effect is likely to be that certain surfaces will be worn more than others by the friction generated at that speed (some parts will be heated excessively, while others will stay cool). At the first service, the coarse oil (and ground down engine filings in it) is swapped for a more refined alternative, so the first thousand km are critical.

I'm sure the trip to Albury will be fine, but definitely take the backroads if you can; that'll give you a chance to get used to the handling. :) I'd suggest you row the gears and vary between, say, 2,000 and 4,500rpm fairly regularly. Avoid a constant engine speed for longer than a couple of minutes at a time, don't rev beyond 6,000rpm, and stay below around 50% throttle at any engine speed. Particularly avoid loading the engine at low engine speeds with heavy throttle applications.

But as I said above, everybody has a different theory, so do some googling and make up your own mind based on others' experiences. And welcome to Euro ownership! :thumbsup:

sendok
21-05-2007, 11:42 PM
that's should be alright :D

Adagio
22-05-2007, 07:53 AM
If you want your engine to remain tight and lack potential - drive to Albury in cruise at 110kph and top gear.

Totally agree with yfin keep varying the revs for those first couple of thousand kms and you'll have a responsive engine for all of its life