PDA

View Full Version : Non-OEM Wiper Refills - bad idea?

lkt
21-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi Guys

I recently bought a pair of commonly available Aunger brand Silicone wiper refills for my 2004 Euro. It looks like these refills will not accomodate the metal strips that are found inserted in the side of the factory wiper refills...
Should I just go ahead and use them anyway (without the side metal inserts)? Or should I spend nearly FORTY bucks buying the OEM stuff?

Thanks!!
lkt

tony1234
21-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Guys

I recently bought a pair of commonly available Aunger brand Silicone wiper refills for my 2004 Euro. It looks like these refills will not accomodate the metal strips that are found inserted in the side of the factory wiper refills...
Should I just go ahead and use them anyway (without the side metal inserts)? Or should I spend nearly FORTY bucks buying the OEM stuff?

Thanks!!
lkt
IMO not worth messing around with other refills,just get OEM.BTW.you DO need the metal strips otherwise they'll fall out after a few wipes.

aaronng
21-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks!!
lkt

If you have an 03-05, go for PIAA silicone refills. They are one of the best that you can get. They also come with new metal strips!

tony1234
21-05-2007, 05:41 PM
If you have an 03-05, go for PIAA silicone refills. They are one of the best that you can get. They also come with new metal strips!
Do these fit 06??If so how much$$$ are they and where do you get them from?:wave:

tron07
22-05-2007, 08:53 AM
06 wipers are weird man.... :D

sendok
22-05-2007, 10:08 AM
06 wipers same like civic 06 and so on, which got extra wide wiper.. dont think want to replace with other refill than oem. :D

Zdster
22-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Nothing to do with a Euro, but I have found (trying a number of different brands etc) that the OEM ones last longer and work the best.

tron07
22-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Nothing to do with a Euro, but I have found (trying a number of different brands etc) that the OEM ones last longer and work the best.

OEM wipers are just rubber... I had sillicone wiper thats still working beautifully after 5-6 years.

Zdster
22-05-2007, 12:41 PM
OEM wipers are just rubber... I had sillicone wiper thats still working beautifully after 5-6 years.

Brand? I assume the car isnt parked outside very often?

aaronng
22-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Do these fit 06??If so how much$$$ are they and where do you get them from?:wave:

Nope, they don't fit the 06. That's why you have to go Honda for yours. It's the best because it's the only one available. :)

aaronng
22-05-2007, 01:48 PM

I had Trico Silicone ones on the Astra and they lasted 3 years parked outside. I changed them because Supercheap were having a sale. But the new ones performed the same as the 3 year old ones.

For my Euro, I'm on 2 years now with my PIAA silicones, also parked outside every day.

Zdster
22-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I had Trico Silicone ones on the Astra and they lasted 3 years parked outside. I changed them because Supercheap were having a sale. But the new ones performed the same as the 3 year old ones.

For my Euro, I'm on 2 years now with my PIAA silicones, also parked outside every day.

So you think PIAA or Trico for my next set on the ek?

Cranial
22-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Aaron, just wondering where I can source those PIAA silicone wipers.

mastcell
22-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Where can i find those PIAA wipers? Last link you provided pointed to a US PIAA website.

aaronng
22-05-2007, 04:45 PM
So you think PIAA or Trico for my next set on the ek?

PIAA for sure! The only reason why the Astra has Tricos is because when I was buying the PIAA overseas I didn't know the wiper length.

aaronng
22-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Aaron, just wondering where I can source those PIAA silicone wipers.

Where can i find those PIAA wipers? Last link you provided pointed to a US PIAA website.

I buy mine at the jap equipvalent of supercheap auto when I go overseas. I am not sure where to get them here. Maybe check up your usual shops for jap parts like Racenation down in Hurstville or through ebay from international sellers.

tron07
22-05-2007, 05:28 PM

The car is park in the sun/outside in the hot tropical weather whole year round... not like OZ's... cool, 4 season weather.