PDA

View Full Version : which light weight battery?

DNYALL
21-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I currently have the Optima yello top battery but am looking for something a lot lighter and smaller.

I have been looking at the Deka battery and have been told that it is a great battery. powerfull, small in size and light. But as i have a bit of stereo in my car i am worryed that it may not be able to cope. I don't have the stereo pumping when the car isn't turned on but every now and then i will turn it up a bit when i am driving.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2854/decarg0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
(Picture from 'jdmyard')

I am sure the battery will hold up when i am driving so it should be ok but am looking for any people that have experience with these batteries or if there are any alternatives that i am looking past.

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

My stereo consists of two amps(1 for the sub and 1 for the speakers) + 1x12"sub, 6x9's in the rear and splits in the front.

EKVTIR-T
21-05-2007, 07:14 PM
What about the slim Oddysey's?

http://www.motohansa.com.au/images/parts/electrics/pc680_350px.jpg

honda_b_blastn
21-05-2007, 08:00 PM
i got the deka battery..had more cca's then the oddessey,weight was the same between size comparision's,same warranty from the place i got mine(12months)and over $100 cheaper.

sydteg21
21-05-2007, 08:06 PM
pm benjamin for a review, i think he got deka , works good

EKVTIR-T
21-05-2007, 08:06 PM
i got the deka battery..had more cca's then the oddessey,weight was the same between size comparision's,same warranty from the place i got mine(12months)and over $100 cheaper.
Sound's great.Look's like a better choice :thumbsup:

DNYALL
21-05-2007, 08:15 PM
yeah Deka seems like the way to go but will it handle a bit of stereo or will it struggle. That is my only concirn, nothin too major though, like my car is no mega stereo beast or anything.

But yes Deka sounds like a good option.

bennjamin
21-05-2007, 09:17 PM
i got a uber light weight deka. 4kg :)
rated at 180cca but apparently deka's have been renowned for putting a nice healthy amount more than advertised.
Works 100% for a normal road car. Just dont get this type of battery if you are up for long times listening to audio in your car etc

xtercii
21-05-2007, 09:51 PM
where did you get yours from Ben?

bennjamin
21-05-2007, 09:57 PM
this place

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/

can get deka in pretty good prices

xtercii
21-05-2007, 10:21 PM
can't seem to find any deka battery on that site??

EG5
21-05-2007, 11:35 PM
i will put my battery to scale tommorow
Bennjamin is yours EXT16L or EXT20L ?

Drew
22-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I can get Deka batteries if any in Melb is keen

Zilli
22-05-2007, 07:21 PM
the only time you have to worry about charge is if you parked up and listening to your stereo... it wont matter when you are driving

string
24-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Get the biggest fattest battery you can find and stick it right up the front for some extreme traction.

yourfather
24-05-2007, 03:07 AM
way to ruin a serious discussion

string
24-05-2007, 03:13 AM
I was hoping it would spark a discussion on why a light weigh battery was prefered over a full weight, but if you don't want to venture outside the box so be it.

yourfather
24-05-2007, 03:24 AM
I was hoping it would spark a discussion on why a light weigh battery was prefered over a full weight, but if you don't want to venture outside the box so be it.

so posting a comment about putting a heavy battery over your front radiator support has a logical connection to this by........................

don't give me bullshit about venturing outside the box.

Of course its obvious why a light weight battery is preferred over a full weight one. And there are pro's and cons.

Why don't you get back in your box and if you wish to discuss the positives and negatives of a lightweight battery, do it without posting irrelevant spam

bennjamin
24-05-2007, 11:13 AM
i will put my battery to scale tommorow
Bennjamin is yours EXT16L or EXT20L ?

EXT12L ehhehe. 4kg la Runs fine.

BTW guys there is no real difference in handling or performance with a smaller battery ( going from 13kg to a 4kg unit) but its a "overall package" that is the difference. That is , various parts have been removed or replaced with lighter alternatives on my car so its a must. IT also looks great sitting there in the engine bay :)

JasonGilholme
24-05-2007, 11:18 AM
I think the Dekka will be on my purchase list as part of my engine bay tuck/weight reduction.

4kg battery will look good in the boot ;);) The less up the front the better.

string
26-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I think the Dekka will be on my purchase list as part of my engine bay tuck/weight reduction.

4kg battery will look good in the boot ;);) The less up the front the better.
Front wheel drive, you want all the weight over the front wheels you can get. Unless you were talking about appearance, which you are right :)

I definately agree a smaller battery looks way better; I would have gone for one but I don't have a battery hold down for a smaller one. Are they generally more expensive or cheaper than full sized?

Dylanamus
23-06-2007, 10:16 PM
A lot of people relocate batteries to the boot to distribute the weight more evenly. Most FFs are someting like 60% front biased. Also it frees up a fair chunk of room in the bonnet.

string
23-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Most FFs are someting like 60% front biased.
That's a good thing.

I understand when people do it to free up space though.

Dylanamus
23-06-2007, 11:49 PM
string: I take it from your comments that you think traction is an issue? The majority of people running FF setups have conservative engine outputs, so post launch traction isn't really a concern that outweighs the benefits of even weight distribution (for handling purposes). But anyway, a lightweight drycell is only going to be 5kg give or take, so it's not like this mod in particular would change the balance at all. So like you implied, the only real world benefits are space in the engine bay - although shaving 10kg here and there all adds up.

string
23-06-2007, 11:55 PM
The majority of people running FF setups have conservative engine outputs, so post launch traction isn't really a concern that outweighs the benefits of even weight distribution (for handling purposes).
I wasn't talking about straight lines. Why would you want less weight over the front wheels, they do all the work, not the rears. Take a look at the weight distribution of some professional fwd racing cars.

preludacris
24-06-2007, 05:05 AM
mate what are u on about. front heavy cars are not a good thing. u want it as close to 50 50 as possible. handling is not just about ur 2 front wheels turning ...

and also u want to have the weight behind the front axel, as much as possible, not as far forward as possible. psh "extreme traction" lol

string
24-06-2007, 05:28 AM
mate what are u on about. front heavy cars are not a good thing. u want it as close to 50 50 as possible. handling is not just about ur 2 front wheels turning ...

60/40 is hardly an over the top "heavy" weight distribution - 50/50 is great for tire wear and balance, but we are driving a front wheel drive and in the real world, 50/50 just isn't the fastest.

I'm not talking a real "front heavy" 70%+ front bias where it's obvious will suffer heavily in steady-state cornering, i'm talking about people taking weight from the front trying to get it to 50/50 based on internet hearsay.

turtleEK1
24-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I got my deka battery from battery world... did a group buy and got them pretty cheap!

And yes, does look alot better in the back lol! Can reach oil filter even easier now!

IEVAQ8
26-06-2007, 11:36 PM
hey dnyall,
i'll by your yellow top battery off you.........how much and how long have you had it for??????

DNYALL
27-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey thanks for the comments guys, well the ones that were on topic anyway :thumbsup:

For the time being i am going to keep my yellow top. Was considering a Buddyclub lightweight battery but don't know of anyone who has used it befor? has anyone used it befor?

yourfather
28-06-2007, 03:21 AM
i'd just save your coin for the coils mate...

they're the best thing I ever bought for my car...

JasonGilholme
28-06-2007, 09:01 AM
RE: Weight in the back of the car

I'm putting min in the boot to get the blance closer to 60 / 40 or even 50/50. it makes the car more predictable and stable on the road.

When i first stripped the boot (and i mean stripped, no carpet no sound deadening just bare metal and paint). the difference was massive. The car was a fair whack lighter (25 - 30 depending on the spare tyre), and it definately UNDERSTEERED alot easier.

This is my reason for getting stuff OFF the front and and putting stuff ON the back end. Removed the AC and it helped alot, relocating the battery will help as well.

in order to reduce the weight of the car the distrubution shifted to the front more and needs to be counteracted.

yourfather
28-06-2007, 09:23 AM
dude, dont need to explain to these e-mechanics.

if you're happy with what you are doing thats all that matters.

like those guys that say Tein Flex is SOOO Firm.

I got some good advice from people who actually owned them. Was great.

JasonGilholme
28-06-2007, 09:33 AM
hahahah no harm in trying to educate someone lol

Tein Flex = :zip: :p

jem-12a
28-06-2007, 03:57 PM
From my experience Odyssey battery's are terrible. Mine continually lost charge even after I had it replaced, and once it lost it charge it couldn't be re-charged.

I'm sure they are light, but as far as being a good battery I'll disagree.

I'm sure everybody has had different experience's with the battery's, this is just mine.

bennjamin
28-06-2007, 04:11 PM
i have a DEKA EXT12 , 180CCA , and runs fine in my EG / B18c. 4kg is nicer than the 15kg stockie