PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Intake manifold gasket

dudeling7
22-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Has anyone tried one of these and do they really work? im interested in getting one as ive heard a few reviews that they work fairly well, jsut seeing if anyone has had first hadn experience with these.

thanks

6000rpm
23-05-2007, 06:09 AM
they are proven to reduce intake temperatures.
cant say i felt any increase in power but the intake manifold wasnt as hot as before.

string
24-05-2007, 03:03 AM
I bought one because it was cheaper than a standard one. I don't know or care if it did anything, but it probably didn't.

ACTI0NMAN-1
24-05-2007, 03:23 AM
also easier to replace. ever taken off those paper ones, what a bitch

Limbo
24-05-2007, 11:28 AM
i got one just been to lazy to put it in. Wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble

bennjamin
24-05-2007, 11:32 AM
yes they work as advertised. Its a "overall combo" that is the key.

You wont notice this mod normally driving but it would be a good investment for track or drag cars with certain limits to keep

Sexc86
24-05-2007, 02:29 PM
thats right
small percentage gains arnt usually noticed.. its when you are doing an all out build you do everything to 110% and all the small things you can do that give you small percentages add to to a bigger gain

Aza
24-05-2007, 03:30 PM
THEY ARE NOT CHEAPER THAN A STANDARD ONE

go to honda parts... 22$ for the normal one. i paid 70$ for the jdmyard one and im not that happy, going back to standard, 4 two reasons, for some reason it leaks (yea the bolts are tight as i can get them) and also there really isnt much thread for the bolt to do up on. mines a 4mm plastic gasket. all in all i am going back to standard. sure others have better experiences with them but yeah thats my 2 cents

Aza
24-05-2007, 03:32 PM
i dont really see how the seal though with the paper ones theres alot more flex in them allowing a better seal right? with a plastic one its like putting a hard surface against a hard surface? which is what ur trying to over come with a gasket. o well either way mine is still leaking :( onl slightly but still

VT3C
24-05-2007, 03:44 PM
yeah OEM IM Gasket ~$20..

..for some reason it leaks (yea the bolts are tight as i can get them)

whoa nelly !! you did them up as tight as you could get them ?? man u need to get the factory torque specs for the IM and the factory manual also recomends to torque the bolts in a specific order and also a dual-process (re-torque the next day) etc. plus over-tightening steel bolts into an alloy head is so dangerous !!

if you incorrectly torque the IM bolts you may well get a leak from the IM.. alternatively you may not have fully removed all the leftover paper gasket and the Hondata item may not be getting a perfect surface to seal against.

Kyle fitted Hondata to his EJ8 (B16A) and we'd go for a drive and when came back and check temp of MY (Stock) IM and his and his was easy to leave your hand on their as wasnt much hotter than 'room temp' but mine you could only leave your hand on there a few seconds before it was too hot.

bennjamin
24-05-2007, 04:56 PM
yup sounds like incorrect installation ( AKA user error) .
According to my honda guide the individual nuts should be 23 NM each.
I think you simply tightened them as much as you could and in no particular order - this can warp the gasket and create leaks.
Ive heard nothing but good news/reviews when it comes to these intake gaskets - hondata or copy they are the same thing.

ACTI0NMAN-1
24-05-2007, 06:12 PM
can you use both paper and the plastic ones at the same time or will the thickness be too extreem?

dudeling7
25-05-2007, 08:47 AM
thanks for the info guys. Might get one of these are i realise its only a small % gain. But putting lots of small gains together will give u overall more noticeable gain.

as claymore said i think if u use both together you may not have much room to bolt it on unless you get longer studs.