PDA

View Full Version : werid clutch pedal...

gxiang
22-05-2007, 02:16 AM
ok parked the car out on the street for a night or two. (10-15degrees incline) and i guess it was cold.

anyways next night started to drive, and when i released the clutch to engage 1st gear the car stalled...

i was like ??!?! then i realised my clutch pedal had a lot of free play. and i could only feel pressure near the very end when i try to press it down.

anyways i drove it a bit before i parked next on the side and stopped the car...then pumped my clutch pedal few times and felt it was normal again.

started the car and drove home. it was fine now for some reason. anyways when home my clutch fluid was pretty low.

any reasons? have not driven the car since yet. doesn't feel like a leak (not spongy or soft, and sinks to the floor. still plenty of pressure and bite)

JasonGilholme
22-05-2007, 08:09 AM
maybe cause you were on an incline it came out the top of the resevoir??

SPEEDCORE
22-05-2007, 09:35 AM
maybe cause you were on an incline it came out the top of the resevoir??

Ahhhhhhhh NO!

Check for leaks...

JasonGilholme
22-05-2007, 09:36 AM
whats wrong with that idea?? sorta far fetched but not impossible.

He seems to have full pressure now.

T.E.D.
22-05-2007, 10:37 AM
the resivoir has a sealed cap. not leaking out the cap. leak at two posible places. 1 look at the clutch master cylinder from the peddal area. look for signs of fluid running down the inside firewall. 2 look at the clutch slave cylinder on the gearbox bell housing. look for the rubber boot and give it a squease, if fluids comes out, its leaking.

fix---replace leaking compoents and bleed system with new fluid.

JasonGilholme
22-05-2007, 10:41 AM
if the cap is totally sealed then whats the point of puttin those sock things round the resevoir??? just wank factor?

T.E.D.
22-05-2007, 10:44 AM
to reduce the effect of engine bay heat. so no not just wank factor if you are racing.

gxiang
22-05-2007, 01:05 PM
ok finally got a chance to drive the car again this morning....

bad news, its definitly leaking because the pedal sank to the firewall almost and i had to pump the pedal a few times to get the pressure back up.

anyways filled up with some brake fluid in the resivour now and think i need to replace the seals for the master cylinder?

i didnt have a closer look but i did use my hand to touch the pedal and they seem to be residue and oil on it.

btw. are the master cylinders in a EK4 compatibile with other models ??

T.E.D.
22-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Clutch Master Cylinder 4 Eg/eh/ek Are Listed As The Same. Will Find A Lot Aftermarket Support. P/N--PBR JB1885

gxiang
26-05-2007, 09:58 PM
ok did a clutch master rebuild, left it at the mech.

drove it home fine. left it there for few nights and when i drove it, my pedal was near the floor again??

could it be my slave cylinder or my master cylinder not being fixed properly?

gxiang
29-05-2007, 03:08 AM
no body knows? i checked my clutch resivour and the fluid seem to be fine. checked the firewall and cant see any more leaks....

could it be air leaked in ??

JasonGilholme
29-05-2007, 08:14 AM
bleed it and try again.

bennjamin
29-05-2007, 11:27 AM
slave cylinder might need replacement.
(leaking) Any incline should change the way the clutch feels. Its a sealed hydraulic system and should work upside down.