PDA

View Full Version : Wobble noise @ 3500rpm

EG_2_TEG
06-07-2004, 02:20 AM
i've got this wobble noise that happens at 3500rpm in every gear.
my mechanic reckons its the wheel bearing or something, but i've got a feeling its something in the driveshaft as it happens at a certain RPM not speed

is a wheel bearing the same thing as a flywheel bearing, cos i got a new clutch fitted after i started hearing the noise, and it didn't fix it.

oh yeh, and the noise has been there for around 10 months or so

any ideas on what it is?

cheers

bennjamin
06-07-2004, 10:37 AM
my mechanic reckons its the wheel bearing or something, but i've got a feeling its something in the driveshaft as it happens at a certain RPM not speed
is a wheel bearing the same thing as a flywheel bearing, cos i got a new clutch fitted after i started hearing the noise, and it didn't fix it.

Place your car in neutral , on a flat surface , pull up the handbrake obviously.....and slowly rev the engine - making your way to and past 3500rpm as you suggested - and note the sounds the car/engine makes.
More than likely - when the drivetrain /gearbox isnt actually engaged , you will not hear this sound....referring to an actual drivetrain/engine/wheel problem.

Really , if the above is true - then it could be a number of things - a wheel bearing IS NOT the same as a flywheel bearing ...but to begin i suggest you should FIRST jack up either the front or rear of ur car , and slowly move around each wheel - try and move it forwards, backwards and wobble it to see and freeplay (suggesting a bad wheel bearing)
THEN get a full wheel alignment-($80 or so) as your front or rear toe maybe out, "wobbling " at a certain torque applied to the wheels-THEN thoroughly check /replace your CV's , front wheel bearings etc as they are a sight cheaper ($120 to replace each wheel bearing)than opening up ur gearbox AGAIN and doing an overhaul ( $700+).

THEN go to a different mechanic for another opinon.....good luck. tell us what u find out.

Psyklops
06-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Hmm...engine wobbles/vibrations can also be caused by the balance shaft being out of time, or not spinning altogether because the belt has snapped...I had this in my last car.....is it a wobble causing heaps of vibration?

EG_2_TEG
06-07-2004, 04:29 PM
there's no vibratrion when the wobble noise happens
i know it sounds stupid, but its like a constant woa woa woa noise at 3500rpm (its not that loud too)

i'll try it out in neutral benjamin :)

ATSE
06-07-2004, 06:38 PM
my friend had a similar problem with his DC2 as well. The sound was like a "woo woo woo" like a wooshing sound, which could be heard especially on a freeway. It turned out to be the rear wheel bearings. He replace them and now no more sound.

EG_2_TEG
06-07-2004, 11:31 PM
thanks for the replies

ben, i tried it in neutral, no sound

i'll get a wheel alignment soon, when i get 17's and lower my ride (hopefully not too long from now)
then i'll work on the rest from there
i had a cracked cv boot a while back, but that was fixed when i got my clutch done

its more than likely the wheel bearing
is it actually a bad thing? like is it something i should change urgently, cos its been there for like 10 months :p

cheers

2ds
07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
change it when it stops working / when it gets real loud

-2ds

geo41e
07-07-2004, 10:20 AM
hey dude
if it happenes only when ur in gear...l rekon its ur gear box bearings
same thing happened to me

check em out

if u dun change ya g-bearings soon enuf..syncros will stuff up

EG_2_TEG
07-07-2004, 03:37 PM
well my synchros started to stuff up exactly 1 year ago.
used redline superlightweight gearbox fluid, that did the trick
clutch died 3 months after that

and no, i don't wanna go into a *redline is shit, why are you using it argument* cos my gearbox has been perfect ever since i have used the stuff 1 year ago ;)

and yeh, the wobble noise hasn't gotten any louder since i first started hearing it

oh well, only time will tell :?

Civic Type R
07-07-2004, 03:55 PM
first your car starts leaking and now its making strange noises.
Too many drags my good man ;)
lol

VTEChnique
07-07-2004, 05:33 PM
yeah that was usefull input there Adam.. yet again..

OAS.. does the noise go away when you clutch-in ?

Wheel bearrings will make noise if you are rolling and are dependent on actual vehicle speed..

Your clutch thowout bearring will make noise when you engage the clutch..

are you sure it's not one of your auxillaries' ( power steering, alternator etc ) bearings ??

My power steering pulley's bearing is ****ed and makes noise.. had to replace my throw-out bearings (did the whole gearbox set of bearings while I had it cracked open) when I first bought it..

man if you still cant tell, pop over after work one night and take me for a drive.. should be able to tell what it is by ear i'd guess.

Civic Type R
07-07-2004, 08:20 PM
yeah that was usefull input there Adam.. yet again..
whats your problem bede ?

ECU-MAN
07-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Look at your rear tyres, they might have flat spots, run your hands over the tread of the tyre and feal for flat spots. front wheel drive cars need to have the tyrs rotated regularly ( every 10 000 kms ). flat spoted tyres do also make a drumming sound.

Is this on your 94 teg ? also Integra dont have balance shafts.

EG_2_TEG
07-07-2004, 11:33 PM
ECU-MAN, i've had the car for 13 months, and only done about 8000kms
plus i've rotated the tyres at least twice :D

Bede, it doesn't make any noise when i press the clutch in. Clutch is only about 8 months old.
But my timing belt needs to be changed. sittin on 101000km atm :?
but yeh, might come down to ur place some time and let ya drive it :)

Adam, my G3 teg aint the only teg dealing with a leak in the boot ;)
fixed that up now