PDA

View Full Version : Suspension for Integra DC5R

vippy84
24-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi people,
I am a newcomer here..

I just bought my Integra few months ago.

I am just looking for suspension that suits my integra dc5r atm.

I heard that most of the Tein suspensions are hard.. currently I am using Tein Springs with standard shock absorbers.

I am looking for adjustable coilovers that are soft because I use the car on the road and not on the track..

suggestions please buddies.. thank you all

aaronng
24-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Why do you want to change your current tein springs? What are you not satisfied with?

vippy84
24-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Why do you want to change your current tein springs? What are you not satisfied with?

At the moment the suspension is too hard.
I had a friend driving a prelude and his car is much lower than mine, but his suspension is soft and feel more comfortable driving it.

I heard from some poeple as well that tein SS coilover is hard

I want to look for soft coilover.. what do you suggest?

[RSX 03]
25-05-2007, 12:03 AM
spoon springs

dupac->
25-05-2007, 12:06 AM
SS i dont think are that stiff/hard..

my tein HA's hurts my spine.. but on softest setting its not too shabby.

so i dont fink SS should be over the top with stiffness.

you're really only looking at coilovers for the height adjustment i pressume?

vippy84
25-05-2007, 12:15 AM
SS i dont think are that stiff/hard..

my tein HA's hurts my spine.. but on softest setting its not too shabby.

so i dont fink SS should be over the top with stiffness.

you're really only looking at coilovers for the height adjustment i pressume?

Yes.. I am planning to lower the car even further as I think the car is not low enough..
but wouldnt it be stiffer when the car is lowered even further..
one of my mate was telling me to get Koni..
at the moment I am using the tein springs with standard absorbers.. wen it passes uneven roads, the sounds of the suspension is loud and it hurts badly.

does the thickness of tyres affect this as well? currently I am using 4cm thickness for the tyres..

quangsta
25-05-2007, 12:29 AM
well..im running tein SS (DC2 though) and they are soft as...

lowest setting still soft

dont know if you've ever riden in a car with them on before but they are considered to be very soft and streetable

vippy84
25-05-2007, 12:57 AM
well..im running tein SS (DC2 though) and they are soft as...

lowest setting still soft

dont know if you've ever riden in a car with them on before but they are considered to be very soft and streetable

no.. I have never ridden in any of the tein car at the moment...
I will have to check that out myself I think..
coz I have ridden on eibach.. and it was damn soft and comfortable like sitting on a mercedes benz.. on a friend's prelude...

aaronng
25-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Yes.. I am planning to lower the car even further as I think the car is not low enough..
at the moment I am using the tein springs with standard absorbers.. wen it passes uneven roads, the sounds of the suspension is loud and it hurts badly.

does the thickness of tyres affect this as well? currently I am using 4cm thickness for the tyres..

What is the spring rate of your Teins? Also, what model is it?

dupac->
25-05-2007, 09:04 AM

17's with 40 series tyres is imo and ugly ride when it comes to hittin bumps, it would play a part of the harshness of the ride when it comes to bumps.

but it also depends on the spring rate of ur tein springs too..

koni's are good. but probs wont make a diff in ur ride hieght.

CivicOnBoost
25-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Zeals are the best match coilovers around and for that reason they have a very comfortable but stiff ride. I used to leave mine on my track settings on the street and it was never harsh, no doubt if you went to the lowest damper rate they would be very comfortable. In saying this they are quite a bit more expensive than teins.

On another note if you bought an integra type r and you expected a comfy ride i think you bought the wrong car, its a sports car and true sports cars don't ride like a luxury car and never will due to the over all suspension design. In addition to this the lower the profile tyre the harsher the ride is going to be.

vippy84
25-05-2007, 09:52 AM
17's with 40 series tyres is imo and ugly ride when it comes to hittin bumps, it would play a part of the harshness of the ride when it comes to bumps.

but it also depends on the spring rate of ur tein springs too..

koni's are good. but probs wont make a diff in ur ride hieght.
So you reckon koni will not make any difference on the ride height at all?
how about eibach or tein adjustable coilover?

8/10 people suggested tein flex for me to use.. any cheap one for sale in oz?

What is the spring rate of your Teins? Also, what model is it? <----
i am not sure.. :(

vippy84
25-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Zeals are the best match coilovers around and for that reason they have a very comfortable but stiff ride. I used to leave mine on my track settings on the street and it was never harsh, no doubt if you went to the lowest damper rate they would be very comfortable. In saying this they are quite a bit more expensive than teins.

On another note if you bought an integra type r and you expected a comfy ride i think you bought the wrong car, its a sports car and true sports cars don't ride like a luxury car and never will due to the over all suspension design. In addition to this the lower the profile tyre the harsher the ride is going to be.

How much are we looking around for zeals adjustable coilovers?3k?

CivicOnBoost
25-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Call Centrax Auto (07) 3349 7888 and get a price

[RSX 03]
25-05-2007, 11:33 AM

agreed x2 :thumbsup:

vippy84
25-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Call Centrax Auto (07) 3349 7888 and get a price

Cheers.. will contact them during the lunch break!!

mikul_ha
25-05-2007, 12:06 PM
buddyclub n+ (street/track)
spring rate 10/14

vippy84
25-05-2007, 12:10 PM
buddyclub n+ (street/track)
spring rate 10/14

Hey.. I dont know anything about spring rate..
what is the rating for soft ? hard ?
the lower the springrate, the softer it is? or the other way round?

Cheers

mikul_ha
25-05-2007, 12:45 PM
yeap spring rate is used to determine how stiff it is.
so the buddyclub n+ is
10kg front
14kg rear
which is alright for street/track. still my friends hate riding in the back, they get sick lol

Anyways, it shows you how much force is required to compress the spring. So a greater spring rate will hold up more weight of your car in that corner of your car ie better cornering speeds/less body roll. As for damper adjustment, this is used to adjust how fast you want the weight transfered away from that corner of your car. Overall purpose is to achieve maximal tyre traction.

well something like that, read about suspension in one of the autosalon mags. lol

my DC5R is riding on buddyclub n+ now, thanks to rsx03 :). damper settings set at 6 stiffest front 9 stiffest rear (out of 15) and its not that harsh, it wont break your kidneys =p

TeMp
25-05-2007, 12:53 PM
What is the point going coilovers if you don't even plan to track? Why not try sourcing springs that will both be softer and lower. I have heard that spoons springs will do both of these criterias fine. FYI your stock shocks will be on their way out sooner or later as they were not designed for your aftermarket spring rates. I have heard alot of praises for Koni's shock and spring combos.

I have Tein SS and they are softer then Tein Flex in the same respective settings. Tein SS is actually quite a good buy for their price these days. Softest settting is as comfy as stock and hardest is more than enough for track.

vippy84
25-05-2007, 02:40 PM
What is the point going coilovers if you don't even plan to track? Why not try sourcing springs that will both be softer and lower. I have heard that spoons springs will do both of these criterias fine. FYI your stock shocks will be on their way out sooner or later as they were not designed for your aftermarket spring rates. I have heard alot of praises for Koni's shock and spring combos.

I have Tein SS and they are softer then Tein Flex in the same respective settings. Tein SS is actually quite a good buy for their price these days. Softest settting is as comfy as stock and hardest is more than enough for track.

That is a good idea .. So coilovers is mostly for the track only?
I might get the combos like waht u told me then.. sounds better to me I guess..
the reason i wanted to get coilovers is because it saves the hassle of the need to look for different springs and different shock absorbers.. coilovers comes with the shocks as well as the springs...

[RSX 03]
25-05-2007, 04:10 PM
;1183191']spoon springs

that's why i said spoon springs :)

vippy84
25-05-2007, 04:13 PM
;1183883']that's why i said spoon springs :)

cheers mate :P
will search for it very soon after my exam

kookie
25-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Coilovers will be the better choice, but if your just in it for looks do not get them, Settle for something more a spring and shock combo. I found that king springs were very low and very soft. ONLY get this if you want to slam your car as handling is the worst with these.

Currently have HKS hypermax 2 on medium settings and i don't find it a harsh ride. Then again I was coming from king springs.

vippy84
25-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Coilovers will be the better choice, but if your just in it for looks do not get them, Settle for something more a spring and shock combo. I found that king springs were very low and very soft. ONLY get this if you want to slam your car as handling is the worst with these.

Currently have HKS hypermax 2 on medium settings and i don't find it a harsh ride. Then again I was coming from king springs.

I used to have king springs as well, but it is similar to the one that I have right now..
I dont seem happy with the height of my car at the moment.. I want it a bit lower I guess.. will post the picture later

air23box
26-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Spring rate play a really important roll in the whole setup bro.....even you use the same shock....if the spring rate is high<hard> then the ride will not be comfy at all.......and coilovers you can change the damper setting which will make ur car more stiffer or softer....<<Part D in pic>>

Tein SS
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9992/ssproductsar6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5542/ssspeckbv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Tein SS is beginner's choice...spring rate is front 8kgf/mm rear 10kgf/mm......which is more then enough as TeMp mention.....can be as soft as stock or hard as rock on track.....but SS is not full height adjustable....which means we compress the spring to lower the car...<<refer to pic part C>>..by doing that will change the spring rate and affect the ride quality....the more you lower it...the more harder it will be.

Tein Flex
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5933/flexproductsar9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/1518/flexspecks8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Flex is full height adjustable....Spring rate is Front 12kgf/mm rear 14kgf/mm.......you are not adjusting the ride height by compressing the spring...<<refer to pic part H>>.....and you adjust the spring on top of part E.....so it won't affect the spring rate....but the spring rate of Flex is higher then SS by 4kgf/mm.

My suggestion is.... if you are not chasing for control...but only lower ur car without changing the ride quality ....you better go sth like spoon spring + after market shocks....hope that helps...

45SET
26-05-2007, 10:50 AM
just a sec.... you are running 40 series tyres on your 17's.... aahhhh... isn't that illigal on a DC5r... take it back to where you bought your tyres, and tell them to put 225/45/17 on.... AT NO COST.

i have Tein SS (set to like 10 outta 24, and on a low setting), 24mm front and 22mm rear whiteline swaybars.... and the ride is awesome... HELLA bumpy... but awesome.... so don't do what i have :p

vippy84
26-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Spring rate play a really important roll in the whole setup bro.....even you use the same shock....if the spring rate is high<hard> then the ride will not be comfy at all.......and coilovers you can change the damper setting which will make ur car more stiffer or softer....<<Part D in pic>>

Tein SS
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9992/ssproductsar6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5542/ssspeckbv6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Tein SS is beginner's choice...spring rate is front 8kgf/mm rear 10kgf/mm......which is more then enough as TeMp mention.....can be as soft as stock or hard as rock on track.....but SS is not full height adjustable....which means we compress the spring to lower the car...<<refer to pic part C>>..by doing that will change the spring rate and affect the ride quality....the more you lower it...the more harder it will be.

Tein Flex
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5933/flexproductsar9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/1518/flexspecks8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Flex is full height adjustable....Spring rate is Front 12kgf/mm rear 14kgf/mm.......you are not adjusting the ride height by compressing the spring...<<refer to pic part H>>.....and you adjust the spring on top of part E.....so it won't affect the spring rate....but the spring rate of Flex is higher then SS by 4kgf/mm.

My suggestion is.... if you are not chasing for control...but only lower ur car without changing the ride quality ....you better go sth like spoon spring + after market shocks....hope that helps...

Thanks for the advice..
are they cheaper as well for the spoons spring + aftermarket shocks?

TeMp
26-05-2007, 12:14 PM
just a sec.... you are running 40 series tyres on your 17's.... aahhhh... isn't that illigal on a DC5r... take it back to where you bought your tyres, and tell them to put 225/45/17 on.... AT NO COST.

i have Tein SS (set to like 10 outta 24, and on a low setting), 24mm front and 22mm rear whiteline swaybars.... and the ride is awesome... HELLA bumpy... but awesome.... so don't do what i have :p

Just an advice mate. Tein SS is only up to 16 clicks. DO NOT go any futher or you will damage you coilovers. This is said on the manual and also proven by EDFC (as edfc only allows you to go to 16 clicks too)

Can't believe you went to that effort Eddy :p

vippy84
26-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Ooops.. not 40 series tyres.. my tyres are now 215/45/17 .. sorrry for the wrong information..

:P

I will find out more about the suspension soon... I think I will sit on cars that have different suspension combos or coilovers first to convince me to get the right suspension package..

aaronng
26-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Just an advice mate. Tein SS is only up to 16 clicks. DO NOT go any futher or you will damage you coilovers. This is said on the manual and also proven by EDFC (as edfc only allows you to go to 16 clicks too)

Can't believe you went to that effort Eddy :p
It's the 16 clicks from fully turned clockwise (hardest). While there are 24 clicks, if you start counting from full counter clockwise (which is softest), you're not supposed to use the first 7 clicks from softest.

dupac->
26-05-2007, 12:32 PM
So you reckon koni will not make any difference on the ride height at all?
how about eibach or tein adjustable coilover?

8/10 people suggested tein flex for me to use.. any cheap one for sale in oz?

What is the spring rate of your Teins? Also, what model is it? <----
i am not sure.. :(

Er.. not sure on what my spring rate is.. haha

But mine are TEIN HA..

not a smooth ride. fun for cornering, but that's about it..

Eibach springs and Koni shocks seem like the way to go.. comfortable ride.
but as for ur ride hieght wouldn't have a clue on how it will sit..
luzinit has this spring+shock combo and his ride is really comfortable

as for king springs in a DC5R? it's more of a downgrade in my opinion. i'd rather keep the stock springs or your tein springs.

dupac->
26-05-2007, 12:37 PM
It's the 16 clicks from fully turned clockwise (hardest). While there are 24 clicks, if you start counting from full counter clockwise (which is softest), you're not supposed to use the first 7 clicks from softest.

what you mean not supposed to use?

like what if i used 5-6 clicks on my HA's?

or is that comment above just meant for tein ss?

just confused that's all haha :confused:

45SET
26-05-2007, 12:47 PM
thats kinda stupid.... if they are not ment to be used (i saw that in the manual also)... why put them there. Kinda stupid on teins part.

i have found a happy point with the car... i havn't changed it for like a 10 months and there are no weird noises or anything

vippy84
26-05-2007, 12:56 PM
thats kinda stupid.... if they are not ment to be used (i saw that in the manual also)... why put them there. Kinda stupid on teins part.

i have found a happy point with the car... i havn't changed it for like a 10 months and there are no weird noises or anything

probably tein SS is built for street racing or watever, and it needs certain level of stiffness.. if u are using it for daily drive and not to race it.. and not cornering at high speed, probably u can be safe even if u set it to the soft one...

aaronng
26-05-2007, 02:10 PM
what you mean not supposed to use?

like what if i used 5-6 clicks on my HA's?

or is that comment above just meant for tein ss?

just confused that's all haha :confused:

I'm not sure how many clicks does HA has. My comment is for SS and Flex as they are the ones that have 24 physical steps in the damper knob but the manual says that it has only 16 levels of adjustment.

didz
27-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Mate, its not a commodore/falcon. It doesnt have a v8 with lots of power mixed with softer suspension. It is a Type R. It does not require soft suspension as that is for the base model and the preludes!

If springs are too hard for you then coilovers are going to hurt ur face. get a type S they were made for the softies out there who dont like sporty rides.

Tofu
27-05-2007, 12:01 PM
LOL if anything the TypeS has better spring/damper settings than the DC5R in stock form...

but once you modify it, it doesn't matter anymore.

didz
27-05-2007, 12:48 PM
What i mean is the type S is a softer feel to the type R with normal driving.

vippy84
13-06-2007, 01:08 PM
just wondering.. is endless zeal coilover really THAT good till the price is skyhigh as well?
Do u thinkn it is worth buying it?

seventwozero
13-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Type Flex isn't hard at all, compromises over any springs u get in.

lilwilliam
13-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi people,
I am a newcomer here..

I just bought my Integra few months ago.

I am just looking for suspension that suits my integra dc5r atm.

I heard that most of the Tein suspensions are hard.. currently I am using Tein Springs with standard shock absorbers.

I am looking for adjustable coilovers that are soft because I use the car on the road and not on the track..

suggestions please buddies.. thank you all

^ why dont u get coils? some damper adjustable ones to suit ur needs

mugsee
13-06-2007, 10:47 PM
just wondering.. is endless zeal coilover really THAT good till the price is skyhigh as well?
Do u thinkn it is worth buying it?

If you track the car or plan on keeping it a while, yes. They cater for adjustabilitiy to suit your driving style/needs and they won't kill your shock prematurely like (just) springs do. Endless do great products and their suspension is highly regarded amongst the DC5.

I know one of the guys in Melbourne was looking to sell his zeals - lemme know if you want me to find out more.

vippy84
14-06-2007, 01:24 AM
If you track the car or plan on keeping it a while, yes. They cater for adjustabilitiy to suit your driving style/needs and they won't kill your shock prematurely like (just) springs do. Endless do great products and their suspension is highly regarded amongst the DC5.

I know one of the guys in Melbourne was looking to sell his zeals - lemme know if you want me to find out more.

It would be awesome to deal with you again michael..
can you find out for me and let me know how much he is willing to sell and delivered?
what model it is as well.. cheers

DR HONDA
17-06-2007, 02:47 PM
The tein flexes are the most suitable to a dc5r in my opinion. You have unlimited choices in spring settings and dampening adjustments. Try and stay away from d2 coilovers if your looking to have your car in the workshop getting warranty replacements for the rest of its life.

SHIFTY
17-06-2007, 03:24 PM
although i have a dc2r not a dc5r, i had d2 come with my car when i bought it... first thing i did was sell them and replace with buddy club race spec coilovers which are A+! also i hear that all the tein products are great 2...

oh btw: DR HONDA do u work at honda tynnen motors ? i think i go 2 tafe with one of ur apprentices on mondays..... :thumbsup:

bmybny
18-06-2007, 06:55 PM
hey i found this place on the web that had coils overs for sale the guy seemed pretty cool

jet-r
18-06-2007, 09:08 PM
have you considered HKS hypermax 2? They are great coilovers in terms of handling and comfort. I used Tein HA for about 18 months before switched to Hypermax. They are probably the most comfortable coilovers you can find on the market for dc5r. The handling is just as good as Tein HA. You probably dont think comfort is that much of an issue but trust me, if you drive that car for more than 4 times a week, you will get headache on sydney roads.

vippy84
18-06-2007, 10:48 PM
have you considered HKS hypermax 2? They are great coilovers in terms of handling and comfort. I used Tein HA for about 18 months before switched to Hypermax. They are probably the most comfortable coilovers you can find on the market for dc5r. The handling is just as good as Tein HA. You probably dont think comfort is that much of an issue but trust me, if you drive that car for more than 4 times a week, you will get headache on sydney roads.

how much do u reckon is the hypermax 2?
do u know the spring rates?
are they height adjustable as well?

bmybny
24-06-2007, 08:19 PM
did you find out how much?
and any info

RDC-5™
25-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I recommend, Tein SS. They have a spring rate of 6 and 9 and they are designed for street and occasional track for a resonable price. If you get the edfc, damper settings are easily adjustable in 2 sec from the drivers seat. Comfortable for street use, and good enough for track days.

dyljoy
26-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Tein flex will be another good choice for u, i just using it, just feel a bit harder than stock one, but u know u owning a spt car, so its suspension should be harder than normal spec car

air23box
27-06-2007, 12:05 AM
There is no point to get flex if you are not going to see track.....just a waste...

dyljoy
27-06-2007, 05:12 AM
True,so i plan to on track one day later~once improve my skill~hoho

EL_DC5
27-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Tien Mono Flex Coilovers + EDFC unit

aaronng
27-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Tien Mono Flex Coilovers + EDFC unit

Don't need to waste money on EDFC if it is a DC5. You can just open the hatch and access the rear dampers. That money can go towards better tyres. :)

Bludger
27-06-2007, 08:59 PM
At the moment the suspension is too hard.
I had a friend driving a prelude and his car is much lower than mine, but his suspension is soft and feel more comfortable driving it.

I heard from some poeple as well that tein SS coilover is hard

I want to look for soft coilover.. what do you suggest?

your seats are harder

mugsee
02-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I had a look at my friends' DC5S with Tein SS and he is able to lower it to the point of barely being able to make it over speed bumps without scraping his b-pipe, AND theres still room to go a little bit lower. I think this is probably a good option for you; cheap + comfortable.

Also consider having an EDFC (because you will want to make the car uncomfortable/stiff when having a bit of fun) for in-car adjustability of the coilovers damper settings. Ask RDC5 for a price as I believe he's selling his EDFC.

aaronng
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Also consider having an EDFC (because you will want to make the car uncomfortable/stiff when having a bit of fun) for in-car adjustability of the coilovers damper settings. Ask RDC5 for a price as I believe he's selling his EDFC.
Not much point since you still have to stop the car before changing settings (unless you want to damage the dampers). EDFC is more useful for cars like the Euro where you have to remove the rear seat bolsters to access the knob.

vippy84
06-09-2007, 12:15 AM
final.. got the Tein SS instead with pretty cheap price for almost new set of coilover..

TeMp
06-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Don't need to waste money on EDFC if it is a DC5. You can just open the hatch and access the rear dampers. That money can go towards better tyres. :)

Incorrect. You have to pull out most of the boot's trim to access the rear dampners and thats precisely the reason I got the EDFC. Im sure if you pull the boots trim out enough times you will starting breaking clips and there are so many of them.

Well worth the money if you want to save time and hassel. But i guess if you are hardcore of a racer its not for you since it will add extra weight :eek:

Bludger
06-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Incorrect. You have to pull out most of the boot's trim to access the rear dampners and thats precisely the reason I got the EDFC. Im sure if you pull the boots trim out enough times you will starting breaking clips and there are so many of them.

Well worth the money if you want to save time and hassel. But i guess if you are hardcore of a racer its not for you since it will add extra weight :eek:

clips won't break if you do it properly ;)

EL_DC5
06-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Tien Mono Flex are more confortable than the Flex. they bounce less

45SET
06-09-2007, 04:49 PM
get coilovers, little bit of camber front and rear, lower it so the tyre is a cm or so from the guard, put on 24mm front sway and 22mm rear sway, and then the car AWESOME!

note: not for those that winge about bumpy ride

bungsai
12-02-2008, 12:06 AM
sorry but can anyone confirm.

Does installing koni yellows on the highest setting alter height at all?

del501
12-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I have Teins SS on my dc5r very comfortable !! :p

wuism
12-02-2008, 01:46 AM
I have toda fightex type DA

highspeed bump and rebound is very good, but its a bit bumpy at slower speeds.

see how it goes with a roll centre installed soon.