PDA

View Full Version : 80,000 km service - pricey?

Fox
25-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Hello all,

I drive a 1996 Honda Accord VTi with auto transmission.

It’s in great condition, both inside and out, and has all the extras – sunroof, tinted windows, spoiler etc.

It’s drives brilliantly and has only done 85,000km, but is due for a service.

I’m told it needs an 80,000km service, which turns out is fairly costly. I’ve phoned a few places – ranging from an authorised Honda Service Centre to a Repco Service Centre, K-Mart Auto Service Centre and also a standalone garage.

The prices I’ve been given range from $720 - $800, with one quoting $199. The $199 seems great, but and is for a major service, but it’s so much cheaper that I’m suspicious of it.

What do people recommend? We’ve got a baby on the way, so we want the car in A1 shape, but will probably replace it with a new car in 18 months anyway.

The authorised Honda dealer might be the way to go if they’re mostly all around the same price.

Opinions welcome. I in Melbourne. Live in Sandringham, work in Prahran.

Cheers.

vippy84
25-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Hello all,

I drive a 1996 Honda Accord VTi with auto transmission.

It’s in great condition, both inside and out, and has all the extras – sunroof, tinted windows, spoiler etc.

It’s drives brilliantly and has only done 85,000km, but is due for a service.

I’m told it needs an 80,000km service, which turns out is fairly costly. I’ve phoned a few places – ranging from an authorised Honda Service Centre to a Repco Service Centre, K-Mart Auto Service Centre and also a standalone garage.

The prices I’ve been given range from $720 - $800, with one quoting $199. The $199 seems great, but and is for a major service, but it’s so much cheaper that I’m suspicious of it.

What do people recommend? We’ve got a baby on the way, so we want the car in A1 shape, but will probably replace it with a new car in 18 months anyway.

The authorised Honda dealer might be the way to go if they’re mostly all around the same price.

Opinions welcome. I in Melbourne. Live in Sandringham, work in Prahran.

Cheers.

It depends on what your car needs tho... like my integra type R, I have just sent it for 60k service and it cost me around $800 because I needed to change the brakepads and the labour cost for the brakepads is dear..

80k is when you have to do major service and they will check every detail of your car and they will ring you of what changes that they need to make etc... if you decide not to change it, then just tell them not to change it... after all, if you change the parts that your service tells u to, it would be better off anyway.. for your car's health as well as safety reasons

m3ntAL_l2
25-05-2007, 11:48 AM
i got a qoute from the dealer $500-600 for teh serivice extra $350 if u want to change the belt.
mine is getting done at my machinc right now, recon its goin to cost me $650 all up inculd belt change and all the fluid flush

JasonGilholme
25-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I'd do this one at the dealer.

Kmart auto is poo.

Repco people can't even sell me the right tool let alone work on a car.

vippy84
25-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd do this one at the dealer.

Kmart auto is poo.

Repco people can't even sell me the right tool let alone work on a car.

Agree... Honda service has a guarantee that u will never be disappointed even though it might be dearer than any other places..
however there are different honda dealers and they offer different prices as well..

aaronng
25-05-2007, 01:58 PM
That's odd, because at 100,000km, you have to change the belt and fork out another $500. Find out what is required in this 80,000km service. It's written in the servicing booklet.

Fox
25-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks all - appreciate the feedback - think I'll go to the authorised Honda dealer and get it done properly. Looks like they'll drive me to work or give me a replacement car for the day at $16. Not bad.

Cheers.

vippy84
25-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks all - appreciate the feedback - think I'll go to the authorised Honda dealer and get it done properly. Looks like they'll drive me to work or give me a replacement car for the day at $16. Not bad.

Cheers.

that's the way to go. :p

TYPE-R617
28-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I own a DC2R and just got my car service for a 80,000 and i've done 86,000 at eastern honda in doncaster and cost me $565 but i had to pay $30 for a loan car, they recommended i should change my timing belt for an extra $400 something, but i didnt have too, will change later when i get more cash.

SLPJCooL
28-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I own a DC2R and just got my car service for a 80,000 and i've done 86,000 at eastern honda in doncaster and cost me $565 but i had to pay $30 for a loan car, they recommended i should change my timing belt for an extra $400 something, but i didnt have too, will change later when i get more cash.

Yeah....Eastern Honda's the Best....
Good Prices and good guys working in there!
I got my Timing belt change for like $400 as well. Not bad for a Honda dealer work. (I drive an EK1)

TYPE-R617
28-05-2007, 11:37 AM
dont mean to hi-jack this thread but does the timing belt itself cost that much?

SLPJCooL
28-05-2007, 11:42 AM
dont mean to hi-jack this thread but does the timing belt itself cost that much?

When you consider the amount of work that's done with changing a timing belt (ie: taking off a/c belt, p/s belt, alt belt, crank pully, lower t/b cover, replacing it, and most importantly, making sure timing is correct)
It's worth the money. I would never muck around it my timing belt myself if I'm not 200% sure of everything.

Drew
29-05-2007, 06:40 PM

$150 for Genuine or like $60 for Dayco

But as with everything mechanical the parts are cheap enough, it's the labor thats going to kill you

TYPE-R617
31-05-2007, 11:14 AM
any good recommendation of a place where i can take it to get it installed in Melb, i'll just buy the product.

$150 for Genuine or like $60 for Dayco

But as with everything mechanical the parts are cheap enough, it's the labor thats going to kill you

Zdster
31-05-2007, 01:17 PM
That's odd, because at 100,000km, you have to change the belt and fork out another $500. Find out what is required in this 80,000km service. It's written in the servicing booklet.

You can change out the timing belt early, depending on the age of the car/condition of the belt etc

aaronng
31-05-2007, 01:26 PM
You can change out the timing belt early, depending on the age of the car/condition of the belt etc

He also got a quote from a Honda dealer. The dealer almost always follows the service schedule.

TYPE-R617
31-05-2007, 02:02 PM
they said 100,000 or 5 years which ever comes first.

vippy84
01-06-2007, 01:46 PM
they said 100,000 or 5 years which ever comes first.

yeps.. that is in the manual.. but if the condition of the timing belt is bad (cracking, dry etc etc), you better off changing it earlier. U dont want to spoil you engine when there is any problem with your timing belt.. just because u want to save 100 bucks and in the end u have to pay heaps extra?.. :P.. get it fix.. better for your car and decrease the noise from machine too..