PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Sports V Mazda 3 SP23 V XR5T

Still Deciding
25-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi all, I am in the process of researching my next car to replace my current work lease vehicle (Ford XR6T).

I will be keeping the XR6T as our "family" car, but am looking for an "everyday" car to go too and from work and don't require a large car for this purpose.....especially with the ever increasing fuel costs.

I'm currently looking at 3 specific cars :
* Ford XR5T (non-Luxury option)
* Mazda 3 SP23 Sedan (Luxury option)
* Honda Civic Sports Sedan (pretty much comes with Luxury option as standard)

For performance, I'm pretty much happy with the Ford XR5T but don't want a Hatch...and the XR5T is pretty plain inside.

The Mazda and the Honda options are both very nicely appointed inside so I am probably going to go with one of these.

Rather than "knocking" the Ford and Mazda options, I would really appreciate positive feedback from anyone that currently owns/drives the Honda Civic Sport. I would also appreciate feedback on the Manual/Auto options. I've been driving Autos for the past 7 years and am considering getting a Manual to once again experience "driving" a car. However, I'm also concerned that I will soon get the heebee geebies while parking on the M2 (Sydney) every morning ;)

So please, any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Mr_will
25-05-2007, 09:08 PM
if youre looking at the xr5t why are you not looking at:

golf gti
mazda 3 mps
volvo c30

The choice between hot hatch/luxury-ish hatch is not one other people can make for you.

You have to decide whats more important first, then make your decision accordingly.

[ricer]
25-05-2007, 09:15 PM
astra vxr looks cool inside out

Still Deciding
25-05-2007, 09:39 PM
if youre looking at the xr5t why are you not looking at:

golf gti
mazda 3 mps
volvo c30

The choice between hot hatch/luxury-ish hatch is not one other people can make for you.

You have to decide whats more important first, then make your decision accordingly.

As I said above...don't really want a Hatch.
In the case of the Mazda 3 MPS, which is a Hatch, the outside is just plain ugly. If they did it in the Sedan, I'd be interested.

This is why I was asking for opinions on the Honda Civic Sport & the Mazda 3 SP23 (both Sedans, both "luxury")...and specifically, I was hoping for feedback on the Civic Sport by current owners to compare the Manual and Auto versions.

Mr_will
25-05-2007, 09:42 PM
well by choosing not to get a hatch you are also removing anything remotely quick from your list.

sp23 is not quick, nor is the civic sport, but if thats what you want go for it.

if you ARE going to have a hatch (which you have indicated you are not entirely opposed to by including the xr5t in your list) then at least look at something other than a volvo engined poo heap.

why not a wrx?

Still Deciding
25-05-2007, 10:11 PM
well by choosing not to get a hatch you are also removing anything remotely quick from your list.

Yes

sp23 is not quick, nor is the civic sport, but if thats what you want go for it.
Again, yes.....more "luxury" orientated

if you ARE going to have a hatch (which you have indicated you are not entirely opposed to by including the xr5t in your list) then at least look at something other than a volvo engined poo heap.
The only Hatch I am remotely interested in is the XR5T

why not a wrx?
One word.....Insurance

As mentioned....my speed fix will be covered by the XR6T which I will be keeping.

Tofu
25-05-2007, 11:27 PM
i really don't know if you will be all that satisfied with either the Civic Sport or SP23 since you've already owned a XR6T.

Size wise, the Civic is larger
I would get the Civic for the interior! I love it so much, I dare say I might even like it more than my TypeS interior...
The new model Civic Sport with the 17" wheels pretty much seals the deal for me between it or the SP23

I also use to have a 2002 Integra auto. I was the 118kw version...pretty close to what the current civic's power plant. Autos are good for when you're in traffic jams. But they are definately slower than their manual counterparts. But the thing is both these cars are not fast anyway, so is there really any point getting a manual...and since you already have a XR6T for your speed fix, I would buy an auto if I was in your position.

chylld
26-05-2007, 09:09 AM
i wouldn't get the civic sport. the performance doesn't even compare to the xr5t, and the "luxury" leather is really plastic/vinyl. add to that the road noise and random quality control issues, and you have a bit of a gamble on your hands.

gerard
26-05-2007, 09:49 AM
If your speed fix is catered for by the XR6T, then you would have only the Mazda and Honda left by default.
I chose the Honda as it is more spacious than the Mazda 3 and looks newer. In my opinion, the Mazda looks dated.
Also, most of the build quality grips mentioned earlier seems to be fixed in the 2007 builds. At least from my experience.

Still Deciding
26-05-2007, 12:30 PM
If your speed fix is catered for by the XR6T, then you would have only the Mazda and Honda left by default.
I chose the Honda as it is more spacious than the Mazda 3 and looks newer. In my opinion, the Mazda looks dated.
Also, most of the build quality grips mentioned earlier seems to be fixed in the 2007 builds. At least from my experience.

This is my feeling exactly. Your's is the first post that has begun to answer my original enquiry :)

xenfacta
26-05-2007, 03:18 PM
the golf gti is an awesome car to drive.. if ur after a sedan, why not look at the jetta? quality is v. good and u can get the gti drivetrain if u want a bit of extra poke

LXRY
28-05-2007, 04:46 AM
vw jetta, Mazda 3 SP23 good cars

holden astra turbo model good car but shit handling

I wouldn't recommend civic. 2006 models have problems

interior fitting hopeless on civics and accords

mazda has stuck to mazda6 and mazda3 for a reason, there sales show this.....reliability is what you want and mazda wins hands down.

Still Deciding
28-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I must admit, very few positives coming from this forum on the Honda Civic. I have to say I am completely surprised by this. :eek:

The Mazada SP23 is looking the way to go out of the two.

xenfacta
28-05-2007, 10:50 PM
really depends wat ur after n how much u want to spend. im very impressd wit my vic and i got the vti. loved the sport but budget didnt go that far. performance wise there are better options but it comes down to whether or not u like the styling and how u find the driving experience....to each their own

IAMVTEC
28-05-2007, 11:07 PM
I think the Mazda 3 and the Civic is pretty much the same car. I cant feel or see any real difference. I guess Mazda has a semimanual auto shift and the Civic has a better looking interior other than that it just depends which car you prefer the look of.

but Id get a Civic because I dont trust Mazda.

Still Deciding
29-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Any comments on the Civic Auto v Manual ?

Opinions on the gearboxes ?

chylld
29-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Any comments on the Civic Auto v Manual ?

Opinions on the gearboxes ?

the civic's auto gearbox is ok, but has the tendency to hold a lower gear much longer than it needs to (i.e. the revs are much higher than they need to be.)

also my car has an annoying lurch if you try to accelerate after slowing down to ~5kph (i.e. your regular stop-start traffic) - it's like the car accelerates a bit in 2nd gear and then whams the brakes on while it changes into 1st gear.

you can fix both of these problems with the paddle shift though (which i otherwise never use)