PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Club N+ racing coilovers on Euro review

sodaz
26-05-2007, 05:11 PM
My Buddy Club N+ coilovers have finally been installed on my Euro. Time for a quick review:

- Car has been lowered 3cm front and back (looks great!)
- Ingalls rear camber kit was also installed
- Damper settings 8kg F, 6kg B
- Aligned and corner balanced (rear camber now -1.0, F 60%, Rear 40%)

Pros:
1. Very very minimal body roll even when cornering hard!
2. Acceleration and brake dive significantly reduced
3. Steering feels more alert and accurate
4. Car looks a lot more aggressive now
5. No squeaking or any noises from the coilovers

Cons:
1. Narrow, sharp speed bumps (shopping centre ones) are not your friends! Make sure you go as slow as possible.

Overall Verdict: The coilovers are very well made and imo it's a very good mod as it makes the car a lot more fun to drive. :thumbsup: :cool:

rom5
26-05-2007, 05:23 PM
hows the ride, bumpy? got any pics??:p

Jegi#5
26-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Great to hear, as I want to get the exact same coilovers over the next few months. My only question is that I have heard that Tein Flex suffers from an issue with the Top Mount being adjustable which is not road legal (correct me if I am wrong) and was wondering if the Buddy Club N+ coilovers suffered the same fate? Also how is the ride?????? I'm shuddering at the thought of driving down Parramatta road with the coil overs (Sydney siders will know what I mean).

Cheers!!!

sodaz
26-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Great to hear, as I want to get the exact same coilovers over the next few months. My only question is that I have heard that Tein Flex suffers from an issue with the Top Mount being adjustable which is not road legal (correct me if I am wrong) and was wondering if the Buddy Club N+ coilovers suffered the same fate? Also how is the ride?????? I'm shuddering at the thought of driving down Parramatta road with the coil overs (Sydney siders will know what I mean).

Cheers!!!

The BCs come with the upper mounts but i think with the FLEX you have to order it separately. I don't really know the legal implications to be honest.

Ride wise, it's actually very close to stock and isn't bouncy at all. It actually absorbs bumps better than stock imo. It doesn't like those narrow shopping centre speed bumps though. I live in Sydney myself and I've driven on Parramatta road already and it's not harsh at all.

PS: Rom5, sorry no pics yet. Haven't had the chance to take any shots.

aaronng
26-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Nah, Flex comes with the upper pillowball mounts. It's optional on the SS.

sodaz
26-05-2007, 10:40 PM

I see. That's good. What's your tyre pressure setting now Aaron?

Gerald28
26-05-2007, 10:52 PM
The BCs come with the upper mounts but i think with the FLEX you have to order it separately. I don't really know the legal implications to be honest.

Ride wise, it's actually very close to stock and isn't bouncy at all. It actually absorbs bumps better than stock imo. It doesn't like those narrow shopping centre speed bumps though. I live in Sydney myself and I've driven on Parramatta road already and it's not harsh at all.

The N+ comes with hard bushing mounts with aluminium top.

Totally agree with the ride quality! Its not uncomfortable to drive on sydney roads :thumbsup:

Nice to hear that u like it :D

Jegi#5
27-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Where did you source your ingalls camber kit in Sydney mate if you don't mind me asking?

sodaz
27-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Where did you source your ingalls camber kit in Sydney mate if you don't mind me asking?

I got it from JDMyard. He's one of the traders here.

aaronng
27-05-2007, 01:06 AM
I see. That's good. What's your tyre pressure setting now Aaron?
I'm still using 36 psi front and rear when cold on the stock 16" tyres.

Jegi#5
27-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Cheers Mate! :honda:

Type R Positive
27-05-2007, 02:40 AM
My Buddy Club N+ coilovers have finally been installed on my Euro.
Lucky bugger! enjoy your ride mate! :wave:

sodaz
27-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Lucky bugger! enjoy your ride mate! :wave:

Thanks mate. Cheers!

ALN
27-05-2007, 02:00 PM
This coilover sounds very good setup. How is it compare to the stock suspension. I found even tein ss a bit harsh if it is hit the tram rails in melb CBD compare to stock.

aaronng
27-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Everything is harsh on the train tracks in Melb. The road across the track is always an uneven height!

ALN
27-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Everything is harsh on the train tracks in Melb. The road across the track is always an uneven height!

yeah it is so uncomfortable, no other choices really, I live in city.
but stock sus absorb it better than the aftermarket sus I recon.

sodaz
27-05-2007, 07:32 PM
This coilover sounds very good setup. How is it compare to the stock suspension. I found even tein ss a bit harsh if it is hit the tram rails in melb CBD compare to stock.

It's very similar to stock in terms of ride quality without the rolling and diving.
I've driven on some really bad roads in Sydney and it actually copes with bumps better than stock. It doesn't like those sharp speed bumps in shopping centres though.

aaronng
27-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah, the stiffer the springs the limit for bumps will drop. The stock sussy handles sharp bumps, SS handles medium bumps and Flex/N+ handle only smooth long bumps.

sendok
28-05-2007, 09:15 AM
How's N+ comparing to Racing Spec? Considering the bump and the thickness rate, not the level of adjustment..

sodaz
28-05-2007, 07:15 PM
How's N+ comparing to Racing Spec? Considering the bump and the thickness rate, not the level of adjustment..

It's firmer and not as streetable as far as i know.

Jegi#5
28-05-2007, 08:15 PM

Forgive me for this noob question, but with the upper pillowball mounts, but what is it and how does it differ to a coil over setup with these mounts? Is it adjustability? Also are these mounts road legal or not, and if not why?

Cheers :confused:

aaronng
28-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Forgive me for this noob question, but with the upper pillowball mounts, but what is it and how does it differ to a coil over setup with these mounts? Is it adjustability? Also are these mounts road legal or not, and if not why?

Cheers :confused:

It's the upper mount of the coils. Even the stock spring and shock have the upper mount. If your new coils don't have an upper mount, you have to either get a new set or remove your current ones and put them onto the new coils (you'll need a spring compressor). The difference between the stock one and the pillowball one is the design and material of the bushing. The stock mount bushing is made from rubber and are very loose compared to a pillowball mount, which is made of polyurethane and much tighter. If you get the pillowball mount, you lose comfort and gain better steering response. As to being street legal, EVERYTHING aftermarket can be non-legal depending on the cop you meet.

Jegi#5
28-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks aaron, I was initially looking at Tein SS however the BC's have swayed me.

Cheers.

euro77
28-05-2007, 09:18 PM
My Buddy Club N+ coilovers have finally been installed on my Euro. Time for a quick review:

- Car has been lowered 3cm front and back (looks great!)
- Ingalls rear camber kit was also installed
- Damper settings 8kg F, 6kg B
- Aligned and corner balanced (rear camber now -1.0, F 60%, Rear 40%)

Pros:
1. Very very minimal body roll even when cornering hard!
2. Acceleration and brake dive significantly reduced
3. Steering feels more alert and accurate
4. Car looks a lot more aggressive now
5. No squeaking or any noises from the coilovers

Cons:
1. Narrow, sharp speed bumps (shopping centre ones) are not your friends! Make sure you go as slow as possible.

Overall Verdict: The coilovers are very well made and imo it's a very good mod as it makes the car a lot more fun to drive. :thumbsup: :cool:

What are the spring rates? is it 12 front and 6 rear?

Thanks aaron, I was initially looking at Tein SS however the BC's have swayed me.

You have to be mindful of what you will be using your car for and what level of comfort you expect from the coilover. Tein SS spring rate is 10 front and 6 rear. This means Tein SS should be less bumpier (if buddy club n+ is 12 front). Tein Flex, on the other hand, is 14 front and 8 rear, which is more bumpier than buddy club n+. Just thought you should know (in case you don't) before you decide this is the coilover for you/your car. Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC (the one I have before, euroaccord13 has them on now) is 8 front and 4 rear, which pretty much retains the comfort when being driven daily.

aaronng
28-05-2007, 09:23 PM
SS is 8/4, Flex is 10/6, N+ is 12/6

Sodaz, is your Racing spec or just N+? What's your spring rate?

aaronng
28-05-2007, 09:24 PM

Cheers.

Feature-wise, the N+ is closer to the Flex because it has the adjustable lower mount, stiffer springs and the upper pillowball mount.

Jegi#5
28-05-2007, 10:18 PM
What are the spring rates? is it 12 front and 6 rear?

You have to be mindful of what you will be using your car for and what level of comfort you expect from the coilover. Tein SS spring rate is 10 front and 6 rear. This means Tein SS should be less bumpier (if buddy club n+ is 12 front). Tein Flex, on the other hand, is 14 front and 8 rear, which is more bumpier than buddy club n+. Just thought you should know (in case you don't) before you decide this is the coilover for you/your car. Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC (the one I have before, euroaccord13 has them on now) is 8 front and 4 rear, which pretty much retains the comfort when being driven daily.

THat is handy to know, that's for that as the car won't see track, instead I am looking for a street setup which retains comfort somewhat (let's be realistic on Sydney roads) and yet improves the handling. I'm more biased to the handling side of things than comfort but from Sodaz review of the BC's in and around Sydney he seems to not mind them too much.

However from what I have heard everyone who has the Tein SS and use it for Street have no complaints what so ever, but for Track (which I won't take the Euro on) people are saying its a tad too soft which doesn't bother me. The BC's seem to be cheaper though than the Tein's which had swayed me however after your advice euro77 and Aaron's on the BC N+ being closer to the flex, I am thinking Tein's again. Also bearing in mind that I will be upgrading from the 17 inch stockies later this year to 18inch BC rims, which will have less rubber between the road and the rim would make it a bumpier ride.

PS: With the Spring Rate, from the info you have provided I am assuming the lower the Spring Rate the softer the spring and hence the more comfort orientated it is, however less responsive?

euro77
28-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Yes, the lower the spring rate, the more comfortable it is, because it will be able to "bounce" easier. However, because it "bounce" easier, during hard cornering, your car will be "less flat" compared to if you use higher spring rate.

When I say "bounce" easier, think of it that the wheels will be easier to follow the bump (up and down), hence you won't feel the bump that much.

I would advise you to try how the buddy club N+ ride on the car (if sodaz wants to take you for a spin), then try another car with tein ss. See which one you prefer, and if you find buddy club N+ is still comfortable for you. remember that the comfort level is often subjective, what one says as comfortable might not be comfortable for others :D

sendok
29-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Feature-wise, the N+ is closer to the Flex because it has the adjustable lower mount, stiffer springs and the upper pillowball mount.

I've experienced using tein flex and BC racing spec, both is good, and I think they both got similar characteristic. N+ more to SS maybe?

sodaz
29-05-2007, 08:31 PM
SS is 8/4, Flex is 10/6, N+ is 12/6

Sodaz, is your Racing spec or just N+? What's your spring rate?

Mine is N+ spec so it's 12/6 and i have it set at 8/6 atm.

In terms of stiffness i think it's (Correct me if i'm wrong):

1. BC Racing Spec (track bias with less street focus)
2. Tein FLEX, BC N+ (street bias with more track focus)
3. SS (street bias, not really designed for track)
4. Tanabe Sustec (street bias, not really designed for track)
5. A Spec (very streetable and close to stock)

Jegi#5
29-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes, the lower the spring rate, the more comfortable it is, because it will be able to "bounce" easier. However, because it "bounce" easier, during hard cornering, your car will be "less flat" compared to if you use higher spring rate.

When I say "bounce" easier, think of it that the wheels will be easier to follow the bump (up and down), hence you won't feel the bump that much.

I would advise you to try how the buddy club N+ ride on the car (if sodaz wants to take you for a spin), then try another car with tein ss. See which one you prefer, and if you find buddy club N+ is still comfortable for you. remember that the comfort level is often subjective, what one says as comfortable might not be comfortable for others :D

That's good advice, however it's hard to fully appreciate or resent a decision made on suspension without living with it day in and day out. Having said that I think people who go after stiffer springs\shocks combo or a coil over setup is kidding themselves if they expect a luxurious ride.

To be quite honest with you I am more into a flatter ride and making the Euro handle better than ride quality but having said that I don't want a bone jarring ride on Sydney's slabbed roads. Like you said before, each person has a different definition of what comfort is. Having said that I will look into the Tein Super Streets, however from memory the BC's are cheaper.

Euro77 and Aaronng again thanks for all your help, and Sodaz sorry for sort of high jacking your thread but without your review I don't think I would have put much thought into it, so cheers for that!!!! :honda:

sodaz
29-05-2007, 08:42 PM
That's good advice, however it's hard to fully appreciate or resent a decision made on suspension without living with it day in and day out. Having said that I think people who go after stiffer springs\shocks combo or a coil over setup is kidding themselves if they expect a luxurious ride.

To be quite honest with you I am more into a flatter ride and making the Euro handle better than ride quality but having said that I don't want a bone jarring ride on Sydney's slabbed roads. Like you said before, each person has a different definition of what comfort is. Having said that I will look into the Tein Super Streets, however from memory the BC's are cheaper.

Euro77 and Aaronng again thanks for all your help, and Sodaz sorry for sort of high jacking your thread but without your review I don't think I would have put much thought into it, so cheers for that!!!! :honda:

If you want good street performance but a more comfortable ride you might consider getting a slightly softer set of coilovers (e.g Tein SS) and then adding a rear sway bar to further reduce the body roll. The front strut brace and the lower tie bar also help stiffen the chassis for better response. That way you can have a good handling car that's also comfortable.

No problems at all. It's always good to gather more thoughts and ideas! :D

aaronng
29-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Mine is N+ spec so it's 12/6 and i have it set at 8/6 atm.

You can't set your spring rate. Do mean you set the damper rate?

sodaz
30-05-2007, 08:40 PM
You can't set your spring rate. Do mean you set the damper rate?

LOL i definitely wasn't awake last night. Yeah i meant the damper rate.

I think my cusco type 1 lower arm bar is rubbing against some of those darn shopping centre speed bumps. What should i do? I don't want to remove it cause it's a good addition to the Euro. :confused::confused::confused:

euro77
30-05-2007, 09:08 PM
you can set your car higher :D
or try going through the bumps diagonally and realllly slow :D

sodaz
31-05-2007, 07:37 PM
you can set your car higher :D
or try going through the bumps diagonally and realllly slow :D

Working well so far. Thanks mate!

yfin
01-06-2007, 07:28 AM
I think my cusco type 1 lower arm bar is rubbing against some of those darn shopping centre speed bumps. What should i do? I don't want to remove it cause it's a good addition to the Euro. :confused::confused::confused:

Raise the car - it probably isn't a legal height anyway if you are touching the Cusco bar

aaronng
01-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Raise the car - it probably isn't a legal height anyway if you are touching the Cusco bar

Nah, legal height is 10cm. I am at about 15cm and I still scrape my type 1 bar.

sodaz
01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Maybe we can get whiteline to make a custom lower tie bar with better clearance.

EuroAccord13
01-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Maybe we can get whiteline to make a custom lower tie bar with better clearance.

Whiteline will encounter the same issue, the reason the LAB has got to sit lower is due to the headers and cat which is primarily the lowest point of the underbody at the moment, with that, there is a need for clearance for the LAB from the two components as well...

sodaz
01-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Whiteline will encounter the same issue, the reason the LAB has got to sit lower is due to the headers and cat which is primarily the lowest point of the underbody at the moment, with that, there is a need for clearance for the LAB from the two components as well...

I'm wondering if there's a way to improve clearance slightly. Like by about 1cm or so. That way it won't touch the headers and cat or the speedbumps.

aaronng
01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm wondering if there's a way to improve clearance slightly. Like by about 1cm or so. That way it won't touch the headers and cat or the speedbumps.

No because if you give the speedbump an extra 1cm, then the flexpipe loses 1cm.

euro77
01-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Well, I guess you can, if you are willing to relocate the flex pipe so it clears the lower arm bar.

sodaz
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi guys, I want to adjust the rear dampers. How do i access them?

Gerald28
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
First, you'll have to take the lower section of the seat out.

Then, theres a nut which holds onto the side section (the section where the seatbelt is). The nut is located on the bottom of that piece. Remove that nut, and take out the side piece. You should be able to see the coilovers now

To adjust the coilovers, i think its easier to use the hex-key. To make it stiffer, turn it clockwise, and to make it softer, turn it anticlockwise.

Hope u can understand it :D

sodaz
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
First, you'll have to take the lower section of the seat out.

Then, theres a nut which holds onto the side section (the section where the seatbelt is). The nut is located on the bottom of that piece. Remove that nut, and take out the side piece. You should be able to see the coilovers now

To adjust the coilovers, i think its easier to use the hex-key. To make it stiffer, turn it clockwise, and to make it softer, turn it anticlockwise.

Hope u can understand it :D

Very good explanation. Thanks so much. You're a champ! :thumbsup:

aaronng
02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
You can also do it with removing the rear seats. You have to pull upwards the bottom part of the seat towards the front end. It'll click out. Then push down the back part and put your finger in there to feel for the single bolt holding the side support down. Take off that bolt and lift the side support upwards. It'll come off. Putting it back is more difficult as you have to get the side support aligned properly before pushing down.

sodaz
02-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the tip Aaron. I managed to access the towers. Changed the front to 5 clicks from soft and the rear to 8 from soft (the other way around from what i had before 8/6) and the feel is excellent.

aaronng
02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the tip Aaron. I managed to access the towers. Changed the front to 5 clicks from soft and the rear to 8 from soft (the other way around from what i had before 8/6) and the feel is excellent.
On your BC N+, how many total steps are there between softest and hardest damper?

sodaz
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
On your BC N+, how many total steps are there between softest and hardest damper?

15 steps in total from soft to hard.

kam
04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
hey guys

has anyone installed buddybluc D-1 coilovers on an 03 euro

would there be any problems putting these on ?

sangyz
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
BUMP!. I've got my Buddyclub N+ coilovers for over a 1.5 year now. Now that with my new rim set up, the gap between the guard and tyre are like 1cm apart. Now I know that some other cars (180, r34, etc), they sit flush like mine but they do not rub with other coilovers. My definately rubs when I hit a average road bump. Now are the Buddyclub N+ capable of making it stiff enough so that wont happen? Also is adjusting the preload going to make it stiffer?

jyh888
12-08-2010, 11:27 PM
BUMP!. I've got my Buddyclub N+ coilovers for over a 1.5 year now. Now that with my new rim set up, the gap between the guard and tyre are like 1cm apart. Now I know that some other cars (180, r34, etc), they sit flush like mine but they do not rub with other coilovers. My definately rubs when I hit a average road bump. Now are the Buddyclub N+ capable of making it stiff enough so that wont happen? Also is adjusting the preload going to make it stiffer?

You can adjust the preload so that there is less travel, which will make it feel stiffer and hopefully you wont bottom out