PDA

View Full Version : Cryo'ing gearsets

spetz
27-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Just wondering, is it possible to cryo gearbox internals to get extra strength?

string
28-05-2007, 11:01 PM
This is one of those questions where if you have to ask, you probably aren't making enough power to warrant it.

Muzz
28-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Do you need to strengthen them for your application? How much can the stock gears handle reliably?, and will you be reaching/exceeding this power level with your NA build???

I hope you've found the answers to these questions before even thinking for a second about spending your budget on strengthening your gears.

Id be very surprised if your stock gearset couldnt handle the power from a high strung NA build... Then again i dont know mitsys.

How much power before reliability becomes an issue reguarding your gearbox?

yourfather
28-05-2007, 11:39 PM
lol bet that hondata car in your avatar didnt have a cryo gearbox. otherwise it wouldnt be on FIRE!

spetz
01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Well I am using 1.6 MIVEC internals in the gearbox (but Version R LSD FTO diff and driveshafts)

It should handle it ok but at the same time I am gonna run semi's as normal tyres on it
Maybe just get 1st cryo'd or something?

SuperDave
02-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Why not shot peen your gears?

Muzz
07-06-2007, 11:46 PM
lol bet that hondata car in your avatar didnt have a cryo gearbox. otherwise it wouldnt be on FIRE!

hahah, missed that one:p ;)

Limbo
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
If your gonna cryo the gbox, your gonna have to do the lot, otherwise you'll put too much wear on the other parts i.e final drive

creativepunka
10-06-2007, 07:07 PM
If your gonna cryo the gbox, your gonna have to do the lot, otherwise you'll put too much wear on the other parts i.e final drive

but cryo isnt a surface hardener is it?

yourfather
10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
cryogenic processing increases the strength of a certain item, stopping it from wearing down quickly

spetz
10-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Can pistons me cryo'd?

Picked up the gearbox today
Gonna get it opened soon but unsure if I'll cryo or not

Wont be making any more than about 140kw atw or so

Muzz
10-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes pistons can be cryo'd, along with driveshafts, rods, and a ton of other stuff, but why would you waste your money on somthing totally unnecissisary when the money would be much better spent on somthing performance altering.

Have you got high comp pistons and engine managment yet?

If you are running aftermarket pistons, then theres absolutly no reason at all to cryo them for your power goals. If your using stock pistons, why strengthen them when they dont even need it, why not use that money to up the compression (if you havnt already), increase flow with porting etc, and tuning it? Spend your money getting towards your goals, and strengthen olny the parts which require it:thumbsup:

spetz
11-06-2007, 08:00 PM
The compression is raised via skimming the heads 0.8mm
Rods/pistons are stock, but balanced
Heads are ported & polished as is the intake manifold, plenum and oversize TB used

I just thought, why not strengthen things?
Can rod bolts be cryo'd to strengthen them?

I heard pistons shouldn't be cryo'd so that they have some flex?