PDA

View Full Version : remote central locking

pedomorphic
28-05-2007, 11:43 AM
hi everyone, i'm not sure if i'm searching with the right keywords but i can't find a thread that tells me how to connect an already working central locking to work with remote. i have an ek gli 99. i'm looking for parts too for the job.

and at the same time im looking on what brand is best to install in a ek 97 cxi (i also want to install remote central locking).
i read somewhere that it's already got the motor/actuator (im not really sure)
that it only needs a relay. can someone help me with this? and where to source the parts i need. thanks in advance.

Ph@t-G
28-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey mate, try calling Allen Jong on 0419 988 679.

He recently installed my car alarm and has been installing for a while now so knows his sh*t.

Good luck with it.

D4rk4n63l
28-05-2007, 06:37 PM
its not that hard to DIY too.. you just need to find the lock/unlock trigger wires.. both can normally be found under the driver's side kick panel or behind the fuse box under the dash, I'll try to dig up a wiring diagram for you...

pedomorphic
29-05-2007, 12:43 AM
thanks D4rk4n63l, that would be helpful if you can find a diagram. it's should be the same with gli and cxi, yeah? but we'll see anyway.

thanks for the tip as well Ph@t-G :) but i'll try diy. ehehe i've seen one done to an old statesman. yeah it wasn't as hard.

D4rk4n63l
29-05-2007, 08:17 AM

all u need to do is find the door lock/unlock trigger from your remote system module (find the positive trigger, as most universal system give u postive/negative options) and tap them to the WHT/RED and BLU/RED wire on the power door lock control unit in your car. This control unit should be inside the driver's door panel... the diagram is for EJ/EM but I assume the wire colors are the same

if not, what u can do is grab a multimeter and ground the black wire and put the measurement to 20V/AC then probe the door lock control unit connector and find the one that gives +12V "WHEN" u flick the driver's door lock switch. The one that gives out +12V when u lock the door is the lock wire and so on..

if your remote module does not have a positive output, then there is an alternative.. connect the trigger output from the remote module to GRN/WHT (lock) and GRN/ORG (unlock) wires on the door lock control unit as this switch is negative triggered..

Hope that helps...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pedomorphic
29-05-2007, 01:06 PM
i'll have to try it this week.. after i changed the bushing on my car. hehe
i'll post when i've got progress on this project. thanks a lot.

i tried today:

i worked on looking for the power relay for my ek gli today.. before it rained, i couldn't find where it is under the steering wheel.. i'm thinking it's an oem from honda. i saw a box bolted on the panel under the steering that seems to be the immobiliser. i checked under the kick panel but it's not there...

i was looking at the diagram D4rk4n63l provided and trying to look for the colors that lead to the control unit but then that's when it rained. what would be the best way? just track the wire starting from the door panel?
could it be in the under driver's door? i haven't opened the door panel before it rained but i'll be working on it 2morow.

pedomorphic
30-05-2007, 07:22 AM
update:

i found the control unit and i've figured out the wires for the actuators and the motor.. what i don't know now are the green wires.. what are the green wires for? the remote entry unit i bought is best to replace the oem control unit because it's a control unit/receiver in one. but it only has 5 wires (incl ground) where am i to connect those green wires?

D4rk4n63l
30-05-2007, 09:37 AM
why dont you post up the wiring diagram for your new control unit.. see if I can match them, but additional control unit can work on top of the current system without taking the old unit out.. this is the best thing to do since there are some difference in the way OEM and aftermarket control units work. So, unless ur OEM control unit is stuffed, I dont see any reason to replace it...

Most universal aftermarket control units only need 4 wires connected (unless its a full alarm system) which are +12v, ground, lock, and unlock triggers. Some have a door switch wire for auto relock function and/or aux output for trunk lid opening and that's about it..

pedomorphic
30-05-2007, 12:49 PM
i'm just confused i think.. but i'm starting to read carefully now. i didn't grasp the idea that i can tap to the oem control unit and add the new unit. even then, have a look to make sure. the unit they said is a reciever and a control unit at the same time.

http://lh5.google.com/image/rdelfinado/RlzkcCeYFfI/AAAAAAAAABQ/gfvVA0QeNmE/DSC00272.JPG?imgmax=512

D4rk4n63l
30-05-2007, 01:41 PM
in this case, you dont need to worry about the trigger wires (green and blue) .. all u need to connect are the control wires (Brown and White, not sure which one lock and unlock from the diagram) and tap them to the GRN/WHT (lock) and GRN/ORN (unlock) on the OEM control unit,. You can tap the +12V to the WHT/GRN wire and ground to BLK wire on the OEM connector... this circuit is fused together with the OEM central locking system so in case there's a short you know which fuse to replace

that way, all u did was adding the remote function to the OEM system without altering anything to the stock configuration of the OEM central locking system

pedomorphic
30-05-2007, 03:17 PM
hehe.. this will be really helpful after i find the fuse (where could it be located) for the oem connector.. i think i blew a fuse.. because i was working before i read your reply D4rk4n63l and i did what you just said... and more.. i tapped the green and blue wires as well.. where can i find that fuse? i checked the green/wht and black for current and nothing's coming out..

pedomorphic
30-05-2007, 05:32 PM
update:

so i found the fuse for it under the hood.. there's current on the +12v line. but now im not sure why my central locking that i started with is now not working :(
is there anywhere i should look at?

CRXer
30-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Disconnect the brown & white wires from the new control unit,u do not need them.

The green & blue wires are probably reversed & with the brown & white wires connected both control units are prob trying to act in opposite directions when any of the triggers are pressed.

pedomorphic
31-05-2007, 02:06 AM
i appreciate all the help so far. it's been eating up my holidays but i'm quite keen to learn.

so i see myself back in square One. i can't figure out why my central locking (without the aftermarket remote kit that i bought) is now not working.. i've changed the blown fuse (20a under the bonnet) and there is current on the live wire (+12v) when i checked it with a multimeter. I'm not sure how to test anything else at the moment bcoz i'm confused. could it be the switch that's not working? and where is that located and how to test it?

is this the way to test it? though where do you bridge and how do you test it? Oh, and also i'm not sure how to test and find out which wire is lock and unlock on the new module. please help.

if you central locking doesnt work, start by checking the fuse for central locking,
get a test light and test for power at the cenrtal locking unit,

then you may have to manually bridge the wires at that 3 pin connector to simulate the switch, then test the switch

a faulty switch will make the central locking apear dead, if your switch is rooted, then add an after makeket 5 wire actuator, wire up the switch and the motor. by ECU-MAN from another thread

pedomorphic
31-05-2007, 11:43 AM
alright! central locking is back and working!

below is the diagram that i'm looking at the moment.
in my car, i have everything except for the green/white and green/orange wire.
Though i have black/yellow (ground), blue/red (thinner) and green/red. and they are thinner compare to the other wires.. could they be for the switch?
Also i tested the remote module and the blue wire turns out to be unlock and green wire is lock.

wiring diagram without keyless entry click here (http://picasaweb.google.com/rdelfinado/NonRelated/photo#5070532274900336594)
as found in repo.jackmoves.com (http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/erik/album106/album206/wiring_001.jpg.html)

Update:

So i tried hooking up the brown and white (remote module) wire to the blue/red and green/red (central locking system). First, brown to blue/red & white to green/red. then the other way around.. nothing worked. i just here the remote module making the click sound when i try the remote fob.

CRXer
31-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Dude i already told u,dont connect the brown & white wires from the new remote module,they are input wires for switches,etc.u already got all the switching in place on the original module.

What colours are the wires coming from the drivers door actuator(the thing that makes the lock move)?

u need to connect the blue & green wires from the new module up to these wires.

pedomorphic
31-05-2007, 06:08 PM
ah! i must be asleep while reading that :D

white/red (lock) and yellow/red (unlock) when i tested it.

blue (unlock) and green (lock) when i tested it.

so connect the 2 unlock wire and 2 lock wires. and ground?

because i've done it and it blew the fuse.. i tried it twice i think.
now it's making me think if i didn't ground it properly.

btw i appreciate all of this guys :)

updated:

ok, i just tried it a few minutes ago and i blew up a fuse (15a - the fuse link with the remote module) after i hooked up the 2 lock and 2 unlock wires. could it be because the fuse can't handle the current that's passing? because for the oem (under the hood) is 20a.
would that make the remote module i bought incompatible? please help again :|

CRXer
31-05-2007, 07:02 PM
If u try reversing the blue & green wires & it still blows a fuse,then the 2 control units are not compatible & cannot work in parallel,the original unit must be holding a ground on one of the motor wires while your tryin to operate the remote unit.

Make it all a lot easier for yourself & just take the original control unit out & just put the new control unit in by itself.

Do u have a door switch inside the car that opens & closes all the doors or do u do that by just operating the drivers door lock switch?

pedomorphic
31-05-2007, 07:13 PM
that's the other option.. is to take out the oem control unit.. but if it's possible i'd like to keep it.. i'll try that too.. but i doubt it will work anyway..
no, i don't have a switch inside the car. it only triggers through the key or latch on the door.

i also tried d4rknight's tip to tap the green/white and green/orange.. although i'm not a hundred percent sure, i think it's not working for me either.. but i have a different colored wire..

if i was to replace the whole unit can somebody tell me how to hook it up using the old wiring. that will act just like the old one but with a remote. if i use the same +12v line as the old unit that would connect me to the fuse under the hood wouldn't it?

D4rk4n63l
31-05-2007, 09:03 PM
do you have a test light or a multimeter? if so, try this...

connect the +12V and ground on the remote control unit
find the wire on the OEM control unit that gives +12V when u unlock the door using the knob
find the wire on the OEM control unit that gives +12V when u lock the door using the knob
find the wire on the REMOTE control unit that gives +12V when u unlock the door using the remote
find the wire on the REMOTE control unit that gives +12V when u lock the door using the remote
tap the wires LOCK-LOCK and UNLOCK-UNLOCK, see if that works...

pedomorphic
01-06-2007, 01:08 AM
do you have a test light or a multimeter? if so, try this...

connect the +12V and ground on the remote control unit
find the wire on the OEM control unit that gives +12V when u unlock the door using the knob
find the wire on the OEM control unit that gives +12V when u lock the door using the knob
find the wire on the REMOTE control unit that gives +12V when u unlock the door using the remote
find the wire on the REMOTE control unit that gives +12V when u lock the door using the remote
tap the wires LOCK-LOCK and UNLOCK-UNLOCK, see if that works...

i did this but the fuse on the remote control blows up all the time.. i'll take a picture of where i tapped it.

D4rk4n63l
01-06-2007, 07:46 AM
after reading all your post carefully, it seems that you are having similar problem with me when I did my alarm install, so I'm assuming that you have a similar system with me.

what I actually did was using the new control unit as a SWITCH, but bear in mind that my door switch is a negative switch. By looking at the wiring diagram I gave u, u can also see that your door switch is also negative switch. Now, u need to check whether your remote control unit can output negative trigger on the event of lock/unlock, which I dont think it has.

my alarm was designed for universal use, so it has the option of giving positive or negative triggers. But yours seems to be designed to be used only for aftermarket door lock motors. However there's still a way to do it, all u need are two simple 12V relays.

First you need to test if my theory is right, use a simple wire connected to the ground of your car.. next, close all doors and connect the central locking wiring harness to the OEM control unit. With your ground wire, probe the GRN/WHT and GRN/ORN wire on the harness, you can easily poke the pins at the back of the harness. If these two action makes your doors lock and unlock you can proceed..

with the relay, you need to connect the green wire and ground the actuator pins of the relay (C & D in my pic) and you will need to connect ground and GRN/WHT to the switch pin (A & B) and do the same with the unlock circuit.

GOOD LUCK:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pedomorphic
01-06-2007, 07:07 PM
thanks D4rk4n63l :)

i tried this today. but it didn't trigger anything. though in my case, i don't have the grn/wht and grn/orange wires.. so i examined what's left and i had two wires that are thinner coloured blue/red and green/red. so i tested that and nothing happened.

i've actually given up and planning to return the unit and find another unit that will surely work with my car.. hehe but if anyone can suggest anything else, i'd like to try it too.

thanks guys :D

D4rk4n63l
01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
if there is no GRN/WHT and GRN/ORN try probing ground to the rest of the wires and note down which one locks/unlocks the door when you connect ground to it.. just make sure you dont tap the +12V or you'll get a short

funkdr
03-06-2007, 10:22 PM
hi everyone, i'm not sure if i'm searching with the right keywords but i can't find a thread that tells me how to connect an already working central locking to work with remote. i have an ek gli 99. i'm looking for parts too for the job.

and at the same time im looking on what brand is best to install in a ek 97 cxi (i also want to install remote central locking).
i read somewhere that it's already got the motor/actuator (im not really sure)
that it only needs a relay. can someone help me with this? and where to source the parts i need. thanks in advance.

My thread here may help
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=776595#post776595