PDA

View Full Version : B16a Lightweight pulley

lil_miss_vtec
28-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey im just wondering if the lightweight/underdriven pulleys are a good idea?
I am getting my timing belt changed, is this an easy job while the belt is being replaced and are they a worthwhile thing to replace? :confused:
I know of a few people that have put lightweight ones on WRX's and they say they make a big improvement. :)

JasonGilholme
28-05-2007, 02:52 PM
not on a B series aparently. It disrupts the balance of the engine and cause premature wear.

This is the general view i belive.

Twincam16
28-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Wow... thats news to me, was planning on getting one done as well...

How would premature wear occur though? Unless there was a difference in size on the pulley? Im guessing it would have same affect as adding a lightweight flywheel to car...

lil_miss_vtec
28-05-2007, 03:09 PM
oh really?
If I was getting my timing belt done would it be easy to do at the same time???

JasonGilholme
28-05-2007, 03:11 PM
yeah it'd be easy to do at the same time.

You guys need to search "Harmonic Balancer" and you'll find out all the negatives about the swap. After reading it i wouldn't risk putting one on my engine.

Flywheel would be better mod and safer for the engine.

lil_miss_vtec
28-05-2007, 03:13 PM
ahhhh knowledge!! :rolleyes:

czy_sol87
28-05-2007, 06:39 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
this would do heaps more than the lightweight pully
think about it the stock flywheel weights about 8-9kg, and a lightweight flywheel weights bout 4kgs, thats a huge difference compared to a couple of grams off a pully...

trust me a lightweight flywheel is awsome to have, compared to my cuz stock b16 fly and my spoon fly, my car revs up soooo much faster
if u decided to get a lightweight fly the best time to swap would be when u get ur clutch changed

louis

bennjamin
28-05-2007, 07:29 PM
a flywheel IS a much better mod.

BUT on B16a/B16b the crank pulley CAN be replaced with a lighter unit. You must remove PS and AC too. Honda created a OEM replacement pulley ( search CTR N1 pulley) for the B16 series. Which , works fine.
But on the B18c etc there will be longevity issues with your oil pump or worse.

Just get a Light flywheel or even better , smaller / lighter rims,

dsp26
28-05-2007, 07:46 PM
yeah it'd be easy to do at the same time.

You guys need to search "Harmonic Balancer" and you'll find out all the negatives about the swap. After reading it i wouldn't risk putting one on my engine.

I am a current member of PGA, and we also had the same issues with people bagging out the GFB pulleys.

Funnily enough, one of the engineers of GFB joined just to provide feedback. Seems he was just searching on net in regards to their product since no-one ever gave them feedback.

The main issues raised were:
- Timing marks missing (apprently the new series now have them)
- Crank pulley seal leaking... harmonic balancer issue.

There were suggested ways around it especially sleeving but at the end of the day... what everyone here has said is right... not good for longevity of the engine.

This si the actual reply from Brett from GFB:
http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showpost.php?p=1125154&postcount=21

Limbo
29-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Just rem the pully is usually weighted with a harmonic balancer to absorb vibrations, as the lighter pullies are light, they don't absorb the vibrations as well causing your engine damage with long usage. This is the case on most cars not just B series

If you gonna rebuild your engine often its prob fine, but not for the daily driver as it could be costly.

There are better engine mods like above, flywheel, weight reduction etc.

lil_miss_vtec
29-05-2007, 12:37 PM
so flywheel ftw????

Twincam16
29-05-2007, 12:46 PM
so flywheel ftw????

Flywheel ftmfw!!!1! :thumbsup:

JasonGilholme
29-05-2007, 01:42 PM
so flywheel ftw????

:thumbsup: :cool: sure is babe.

czy_sol87