PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems

nvmee
28-05-2007, 10:36 PM
my friends car has transmission problems I think

so far:
the revs sometimes drop up and down :/ . You floor it and its alright until the next few kms or so

the car shudders between 40-50km - but when you come off 50km it goes back to normal

its stalled a few times when going in to reverse the car - as in you change gears from drive to reverse then it stalls

at the red lights, revs drop and car starts to shake as if its going to stall on a manual. but this car is an auto

sometimes when you " hit it " - the car feels like its very sluggish

SiReal
28-05-2007, 10:37 PM
gearbox is gone. needs a rebuild or replacement. start buidgeting for $2K

nvmee
28-05-2007, 10:49 PM
points +

yeah as i thought. I heard its 1k minus labour for a brand new box and abt 500 for a reconditioned one. is there a difference? i explained this to the mechanic and he thinks its got another 1month on it at most. should I explain to her and tell her not to drive it too far? she has no nrma as well -_-

what happens when the box like shit itself on the roads? doesnt work

sorry for the stupid questions. i tried searching beforehand but nothing

destrukshn
28-05-2007, 10:51 PM
what car?

SiReal
28-05-2007, 10:53 PM
how many Ks has the car done?

A rebuild may not necessarily fix ur prob. it also depends on who rebuilds it as well.

best bet would be to find a replacemtn of low K's from a wreecker. they are out there.

if the gear box goes, then the car simply wont move. my understanding is that when the gearbox goes, the internal clutch is not gripping, hence the slippages and random revs. u could also do your engine damnage by accidental overrevving.

but i'm not gonna argue with destrukshon. i'll let him finish it off ;)

nvmee
28-05-2007, 10:57 PM
car has done nearly 200,000ks.
its the same as my car. a ford telstar ghia 92. except shes a little crazy, flogs the car a fair bit

i feel sorry for her car, i went through a stage of oil leaks etc. the car is so 'injury' prone

destrukshn
28-05-2007, 11:02 PM
slipping/****ed clutch packs, shouldn't cause revving problems.
nor stalling, as, if it doesn't engage, it'd be idling technically.
plus if it was slipping, you would feel it slip, and it would rev out, and not really go anywhere.
and if you floored it, it'd most probably won't go anywhere.

understand where i'm coming from?

nvmee
28-05-2007, 11:13 PM
yeh I know what you mean. so if its not the 'internal clutch' then it should be the box right? because like you said if it was slipping then the revs would go up and the car wouldnt go anywhere

I never knew an auto could stall but. Like ive heard it here and there, but i thought " how the hell do you stall and auto". but i was in her car, she did a parallel park, put it in reverse then it stalled :/

also if she buys a replacement from the wreckers wouldnt it happen again since I heard its a pretty common problem on these cars.

destrukshn
28-05-2007, 11:20 PM
my mates laser, used to stall, becuase the carby was dirty.
and at low rpms, it would stall.
doubt the gears are ****ed, doubt its the clutch packs.
there is also the toqrue convertor.
but it still doesn't explain the shutter at 40-50km, then going away.

aaronng
28-05-2007, 11:27 PM
If it was the clutch packs, there wouldn't be drive and the engine would rev with the car not moving anywhere or accelerating very slowly. If it stalls when stopped, that means at low rpm small loads, something is not supplying enough air or fuel at the smallest throttle opening. So check everything that has to do with air and fuel. That means fuel pump, fuel filter, carby, throttle cable play and throttle-transmission cable play as well.

destrukshn
28-05-2007, 11:29 PM
the kick down cable?
well the kick down cable, would only play with when the car changes gears. really.

nvmee
28-05-2007, 11:29 PM
i was reading on the 626 forums and its saying that the 40-50 km shuddering is due to the clutch slipping. but if that was the case, wouldnt it slip on the 3rd etc as well?

seems like a common problem

and the 626 forums lag when i search 'transmission problems ' lol

aaronng
28-05-2007, 11:35 PM
the kick down cable?
well the kick down cable, would only play with when the car changes gears. really.

Just in case it is doing funny things to the throttle body. :p

destrukshn
29-05-2007, 08:31 AM
is it shuddering when it changes gears?

nvmee
29-05-2007, 10:50 AM
yeh i think so, which explains the 40-50 part. i thought it was the 2nd gear, but the mec recons its the 4th. so im not sure.

destrukshn
29-05-2007, 10:54 AM
well count how many times it changes gears?
lol.
well if it is shuddering when it's changing gears, it could be a clutch pack problem.

Limbo
29-05-2007, 11:39 AM
From your first post stalling and revving up - Are you sure its the gear box and not the engine that is stalling the car???

Also stalling from changing gears is not always the gearbox sometimes it the idle motor on the engine.

Stalling in idle could also be an engine problem.
Have you had a service lately? it sounds like the car might just need a general service and it might clear up a few of you problems.

Had similar problems with an old corona that we owned and it just needed cleaning of the throttle body, stepper motor and PCV valve, and the car stopped stalling and shuddering all the time

Dylanamus
29-05-2007, 11:51 AM
A lot of the symptoms you are describing can also be attributed to cracked engine mount bushings. I recently refilled all my engine mounts with urethane and all the problems you are having disappeared from my car.

I'm not saying this will definitely be the case in your car too, but it wouldn't hurt to get your mounts checked, as if that IS the problem, you could fix it for a hundredth of the cost of rebuilding a transmission.

drsilliez
29-05-2007, 04:38 PM
car has done nearly 200,000ks.
its the same as my car. a ford telstar ghia 92. except shes a little crazy, flogs the car a fair bit

i feel sorry for her car, i went through a stage of oil leaks etc. the car is so 'injury' prone

hmmmm we have a ford telstar ghia as well but 1985 and done like 350,000+km. it has the same problem as ur car as well!!!! whenever we are driving and want to put it to reverse to go back, once we change gears, the car likes stalls and then engine shuts off......argh...we cbb getting it fixed, not worth it. only use it to drive to the station every morning and then back home....

nvmee
30-05-2007, 11:38 PM
maybe the cylinder is gonskies which is explaining the rough idle? derno

vtec_king
31-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Always start with small things like cleaning out the throttle body. check idle motor etc... u never know it could be the smallest thing that is causing all this trouble for your friend. So my suggestion to u is start with from LITTLE to BIG.

nvmee
31-05-2007, 04:19 PM
found the problem, spark leads were screwed therefore the cylinders werent working properly =) thanx for the help . changed the plugs and the leads, all sweet now.
also the shudder at 40-50 is the gearbox shitting itself

destrukshn
31-05-2007, 04:21 PM
lol.
well, it's a start.

green_machine
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
change transmission oil and see how it feels maybe filter is blocked and not supply enough pressure into the valve body of the transmission.