PDA

View Full Version : Xenons optional on non-luxury model?

take_no_prisoners
29-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey, I've searched the forum and didn't come up with much so here I go again. Are xenons a factory option non luxury accords or can they only be done aftermarket?

Tobster
29-05-2007, 09:49 AM
They're not available as a factory option.

gReY-oNe
29-05-2007, 09:59 AM
they where only standard on teh luxury models
if your thinkin of fitting HID's onto ur car aftermarket or just retro fitting it is possible

take_no_prisoners
29-05-2007, 10:03 AM
So factory xenons are strictly limited to the luxury edition?

BusterSonic12
29-05-2007, 10:06 AM
^ is it actually HID or that it just has a projector? because the base model has a projector so it looks the same as lux unless u turn it on

yourfather
29-05-2007, 10:07 AM
So factory xenons are strictly limited to the luxury edition? I had a look at a car last night, it had HIDs and the silver front grille but no leather interior, which seems to contradict the fact I thought it was a luxury edition. Seems the HIDs are aftermarket then...

well, it depends... they could have just put an HID kit into a halogen projector, or they could have had a front end smash and put the front end in like that.

Factory "xenons" are limited to luxury edition vehicles.

They all said it to you... but to answer again... YES, limited to luxury. No availability as an option for the standard

gReY-oNe
29-05-2007, 10:07 AM
yeah
turn the lights on and see if they take time to load up kinda
u could also hear it
takes time for it to be at its brightest

aaronng
29-05-2007, 10:32 AM
So factory xenons are strictly limited to the luxury edition? I had a look at a car last night, it had HIDs and the silver front grille but no leather interior, which seems to contradict the fact I thought it was a luxury edition. Seems the HIDs are aftermarket then...

Check if the bulb is a H1 or a D2S. If it is a H1, it is an aftermarket add-on. If it is D2S, it is factory HID. Did the car have headlight washer sprays? Factory HID Euros have that as well.

Tobster
29-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Did the car actually have HIDs or just halogens? (standard on the base model, but still much brighter than ordinary globes -- so you might have though they were HIDs)

BraXta
29-05-2007, 10:57 PM
also any HID euro lux has the squirters fitted by ADR law if im not mistaken... =D

just my 2 cents

take_no_prisoners
30-05-2007, 09:02 AM
If I ask my mech, will he be able to distinguish the h1 from the d2s bulbs? On the sellers details he has put the lights as "Xenon HID Headlights"

EuroDude
30-05-2007, 09:22 AM
He either:

-thinks that HID came on all the Euro models.
-put cheap "Xenon" branded halogens that pretend to be HID or similar to HID.
-is trying to fool customers into thinking the base/sports models come with HID.

Look for the bumps on the bumper just under the headlights, they are HID squirters that lift up and clean the headlights, that only the Lux has.

TypeG
30-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Maybe the buyer just too lazy to take the HID off like myself. Best is to see if he has trip computer, HID washer, front and rear bars. leather seats, FACTORY sunroof.

take_no_prisoners
30-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Maybe the buyer just too lazy to take the HID off like myself. Best is to see if he has trip computer, HID washer, front and rear bars. leather seats, FACTORY sunroof.

What are good aftermarket brands?

EuroDude
30-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Well its illegal to have HID and not have washers and auto-levelers, so you may have trouble getting rego checks. Or if its a really cheap and nasty HID unit, it may overheat or cause other problems. Worst case scenario, it could catch on fire or damage the cars electrics.

If it is indeed HID, find out what brand and model it is, and look online for common issues. If its a no-name unit, I wouldnt use it lol.

aaronng
30-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Well its illegal to have HID and not have washers and auto-levelers, so you may have trouble getting rego checks. Or if its a really cheap and nasty HID unit, it may overheat or cause other problems. Worst case scenario, it could catch on fire or damage the cars electrics.

If it is indeed HID, find out what brand and model it is, and look online for common issues. If its a no-name unit, I wouldnt use it lol.

The part that overheats in old HIDs was the original headlight wiring in old cars, which is why the better kits come with a relay to run the wiring directly to the battery. New cars don't have a problem with the high startup power draw of HIDs. The bulb and ballast don't usually catch fire. They just fail and short out.

TypeG
30-05-2007, 04:48 PM

that's a big joke...... my car just did a car check and rwc by the buyer's mechanic. my HID is all good. only one question from the mechanic is where can the buyer get the parts from if the HID is not working. :angel: Ebay for $1XX.:cool:

tony1234
30-05-2007, 05:47 PM
IMO not worth doing this mod.Just upgrade OEM halogen bulbs to Polargs or another good brand.:)

BusterSonic12
30-05-2007, 07:11 PM
u have to have washer?? is that cos it gets too hot or something? i hardly use mine, do i meant to use it?

TypeG
30-05-2007, 07:54 PM
good brand halogen is r1p off IMO. You can afford HID while u getting those JDM halogen....

mine still fine after a year use which cost me $1XX on ebay

EuroDude
30-05-2007, 08:23 PM
that's a big joke...... my car just did a car check and rwc by the buyer's mechanic. my HID is all good. only one question from the mechanic is where can the buyer get the parts from if the HID is not working. :angel: Ebay for $1XX.:cool:

It depends on the mech. Some of them dont care and just pass the rego check, others can be stingy and do the check by the book. Same for c0ps, some focus on bald tyres, broken lights, rust. Others look for Cold air intakes, neons, turbo's.

Luckily the cops/rta are not 'cracking down' on HID standards, so 90% of the time you can get away with it, unless you have HID's installed without projectors and blind oncoming cop cars lol

But yeah, its not really worth it. A good pair of Philips Crystal/Blue Visions will provide bright white light with a blue cutoff similar to HID's. Avoid the cheap ones from KMart etc.. they wont last as long and are not as bright. My $60 bluevisions have lasted 12 months and still going strong, whereas the cheap $20 ones lasted up to 6 months and blew randomly. u get wat u pay for

BraXta
30-05-2007, 10:58 PM
u have to have washer?? is that cos it gets too hot or something? i hardly use mine, do i meant to use it?

they are needed because (quoted from mechanic) when the screen in front of the HID globe gets dirty the actual HID will reflect off the dirt and make the HIDS appear brighter to oncoming traffic =-D

that just quoting so im not 100% sure on that =D

take_no_prisoners
30-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm looking to get them for my Maz3 as well thinking of forking out for Phillips blue visions.

TypeG
31-05-2007, 09:46 AM
for me, i wont bother to get Phillips blue visions as their quality are we well depends on your luck. They do blow within a year if you are unlucky anyway.

EuroDude
31-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Put it this way, would you rather:

1) Replace the bulbs with cheap $25 ones three times in 18months.
2) Replace the bulbs once for $60 in 18 months.

The bluevisions wont blow unless you put fingerprints on the bulbs, or if water gets inside the headlights or something.

sendok
31-05-2007, 12:17 PM
only luxury model comes from HONDA. but anyway you can buy HID kit from elsewhere, but the good one.

aaronng
31-05-2007, 01:29 PM
But yeah, its not really worth it. A good pair of Philips Crystal/Blue Visions will provide bright white light with a blue cutoff similar to HID's. Avoid the cheap ones from KMart etc.. they wont last as long and are not as bright. My $60 bluevisions have lasted 12 months and still going strong, whereas the cheap $20 ones lasted up to 6 months and blew randomly. u get wat u pay for
No, the light won't be the same. I have crystal and blue visions. No where as bright as HIDs.
Crystal vision's colour is similar to HID, but blue visions are a waste of time.

NeoNode
31-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Buy some Narva bulbs and be happy, don't need fancy junk in the car. :)

EuroDude
31-05-2007, 02:15 PM
No, the light won't be the same. I have crystal and blue visions. No where as bright as HIDs.
Crystal vision's colour is similar to HID, but blue visions are a waste of time.

True, it wont be as bright off course, but its similar in terms of colours and cutoff, and brighter than the cheap brands. Havent tried the crystal visions yet :honda:

aaronng
31-05-2007, 02:26 PM
True, it wont be as bright off course, but its similar in terms of colours and cutoff, and brighter than the cheap brands. Havent tried the crystal visions yet :honda:

After using +50% bulbs, nothing else will ever be as bright... :(

EuroDude
31-05-2007, 02:48 PM
How about the new flux LED headlights, can you get direct H1 replacements yet (at least for low beam)?

as001
05-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Ive seen Phillips and Narva hid conversion kits in a autobahn catalogue both good brands pricey but atleast you know there should be some sort of warranty period.

Part numbers at this url:
http://www.philipslighting.com.au/HID-kit.htm