PDA

View Full Version : steering rack slippage

garett
29-05-2007, 11:41 AM
hey fellas. i drive a DA9, it has the AC and powersteering removed, so the steering feels great at all times except for reverse parallel parking or 3 point turns.

i have noticed though if i do happen to have to do something where it requires effort to turn the wheel for example a 3 point turn where you have to dry steer a little, once i get going again the steering wheel will be out by 10mm or so so if i pull over and dry steer in the opposite way it will straighten it up.

its not the easiest thing to do and requires effort, but i would like the wheel not to slip. its not happening where the boss meets the shaft either. does anyone know of a nut which i tighten to eliminate this?? any thoughts?

JasonGilholme
29-05-2007, 11:48 AM
i think you'll have to stop dry steering. Even the slightest amount of movement will stop it from happening i think.

garett
29-05-2007, 11:50 AM
i realise that not dry steering prevents it. but any car can dry steer without making the entire steering rack slip.

there are times when in a carpark when you cannot avoid doing it, especially when you dont have power steering

garett
30-05-2007, 10:57 AM
not having much luck in this thread might try the technical one

sml-089
30-05-2007, 11:44 AM
why did u take out the powersteering anyways? lighter weight?

garett
30-05-2007, 11:51 AM
previous owner did yeh.

for weight reasons

string
31-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I had mine out for about a year and a half until about a month ago when I realised that it certainly was not worth the ~5kg of weight you save.

Are you sure the problem isn't just your tyres deforming from stationary steering?

garett
01-06-2007, 09:49 AM
its not from stationary steering

its only when you really need to turn the wheel full lock and with alot of effort
in a U turn or when backing out of a tight spot. im pretty sure the tyres are not deforming cos if the wheel is crooked i simply pull over and do it in the opposite direction and it straightens my wheel up, i can hear it slipping.

garett
01-06-2007, 09:49 AM
i am thinking about putting it back in.

as i bought to car without it and no parts i would have no idea where to begin to put it back in

bennjamin
02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
the rack wouldnt be slipping since its connected via an actual rack and pinion. Its a cog which wouldnt simply "slip". Something else is slipping in your cars suspension or steering - could be worn bushes , could be worn / deflated tyres etc.

ACTI0NMAN-1
02-06-2007, 12:17 PM
i think its the above 'worn bushes', with each one afftecing the rack and pinion a slight bit, to form a total of 10mm movement.

string
02-06-2007, 01:58 PM
the rack wouldnt be slipping since its connected via an actual rack and pinion. Its a cog which wouldnt simply "slip". Something else is slipping in your cars suspension or steering - could be worn bushes , could be worn / deflated tyres etc.
The repair manual disagrees. There is a BIG bolt on the rack to adjust the free play. I've experienced this first hand, which is why I went back to power steering with a far better condition rack.

bennjamin
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
The repair manual disagrees. There is a BIG bolt on the rack to adjust the free play. I've experienced this first hand, which is why I went back to power steering with a far better condition rack.

feel free to post up how to adjust this "free play" bolt to help out everyone.
BTW You mean , you had a manual rack and went back to a PS rack , or simpyl went back to PS steering all up ?

garett
04-06-2007, 09:47 AM
im keen to fix this problem so where is this bolt???

should be getting the powersteering re done soon which will be heaps better