PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if i do not fix a broken engine mount??

kee
29-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I've got a split on one of the engine mounts which i assume it's broken as fluid was coming out. Would it be okay if i did not attend to it and just leave it?...

Cheers

flipstar
29-05-2007, 03:35 PM
engine mounts are there for a reason they hold ur engine in place and stop it from moving now if u werent to fix the mount your engine would twist and move around in your engine bay while driving fix it or your going to be fixing alot more than just an engine mount

JasonGilholme
29-05-2007, 03:38 PM
it'll fall out. lol

Could do damage to the shift linkage, gear box, other mounts etc. Basically anything that is connected to the engine and the chassis etc will be put under abnormal stress.

6000rpm
29-05-2007, 03:55 PM
headers can crack, rough gear shifts, a more notchy clutch feeling resulting in clutch wear
but im assuming its the drivers side mount thats busted?

94vtirozguy
29-05-2007, 03:59 PM
also more stress on the other engine mounts, and they will also break eventually.

kee
29-05-2007, 04:27 PM
headers can crack, rough gear shifts, a more notchy clutch feeling resulting in clutch wear
but im assuming its the drivers side mount thats busted?

Yeah it's the drivers side mount. Did you have the same problem too?

6000rpm
29-05-2007, 04:47 PM
nope! i broke the front engine mount and all that sh1t happened.
dont know if a broken drivers side will cause the same problems though.

i recommend replacing it asap to avoid any further problems.
try find a second hand one for cheap, diy install should be a peice of cake.

Limbo
29-05-2007, 04:55 PM
First engine will not fall out as its the rubber bushes inside that are broken, there is still a metal piece holding it in.

If you don't change it after a while it puts alot of stress on the other engine mounts and then they also break.

Causes alot of movement in the engine, may crack the exhaust, leads to tapping noise from engine moving. Loss of power apparently due to movement.

kee
30-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Cheers guys. Now I'm def. going to get it fixed..

ECU-MAN
31-05-2007, 12:06 PM
good idea

I have even seen the braket that the mount bolts onto snap off the block. not pretty

kerim
31-05-2007, 12:08 PM
how about the passenger side engine mount, wat problems can that cause, besides breaking other mounts

fatboyz39
31-05-2007, 02:00 PM
i would change it asap. We had our one snap on, its was a very expensive fix :(.

green_machine
04-06-2007, 09:23 PM
you can also start getting wierd knocking sounds from the front of ur car

SHIFTY
04-06-2007, 10:14 PM
i had my lower engine mount loose....

was making rattling sound over bumps and stuff and u could hear a rattle through the gear shifter when starting the car...

was under my car for like 30min tryn 2 figure it out and had ppl saying it was cv joints and shit but i was confident it was a engine mount and ending up being correct..

my advice would be 2 change it as soon as possible and not 2 put 2 much loud or rev the shit out of engine untill this is fixed!

also if u are going 2 be tracking ur car i would advice u 2 upgrade ur engine mounts... with hasport,spoon or woteva...

i will be doing this soon.. once i recover from my debt caused by 2 many mods :P

vinnY
05-06-2007, 03:05 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1200191&postcount=46
this might happen

i get a grinding sound everytime i downshift, hopefully it goes away soon. i'll find out when my mount dries :)

aimre
26-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Fill it with sikaflex

zco
26-06-2007, 05:32 PM
depending on the damage that its done to the broken mount.. also depends on which mount you broke.. but long story short. it puts more pressure on the other mounts and they'll wear out/get damaged more easily. you can haev symptoms from knocking noises to not being able to get into gear.

get a new mount adn buy engine mount inserts from jdmyard