PDA

View Full Version : New springs!! What do i do?

tegraa
07-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi all, im kind of new to all this and am the first to obmit that i dont know all that much, but am starting to learn.

Ive just purchase a full set of super low king springs for my 94 integra, and will get them installed in about a day or so, they lower me about 2 inches.
My question is because ive been told, "will i need shortened shocks now?", for the ride or is a straight spring change over ok to do??

Im not sure so if anyone know let me know.

Thanks.

joneblaze
07-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Running aftermarket springs such as King on your stock Integra shocks will be "fine" for a period of time (say up to 8mths?), but if your shocks and new springs don't match, you will have to eventually replace your shocks.
When you do get your super lows installed, don't be too disappointed when she first rolls out of the garage. The springs need abit of time to settle in and sag, and the initial drop is not representative of the final height difference. :)

Jus-10
07-07-2004, 04:25 PM
You can just change the springs over and you will be fine. It won't be the best ride in the world, but you will survive!

But seriously, if you want improved performance, you will need shocks. Having said that, by using just lowered springs you will wear out your OEM shocks a lot quicker (I'm guessing they may already be worn out?)

If you can afford it, get shocks now and change it all over at once rather than going back at a later date. This will save you labour costs.

Shocks wise, I would be looking at Koni adjustables. They seem to match the Kings springs quite well.

Happy lowering!

J

SiR
07-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Out of curiosity, how much $$ are Koni adjustables? Do they match Pedder's, Eibach etc. springs too?

vti-2
07-07-2004, 05:43 PM
My question is because ive been told, "will i need shortened shocks now?", for the ride or is a straight spring change over ok to do??

A straight spring change is ok but your quality of ride won't be as good if you were to do it properly and get sports shocks as well. I had King springs in my DC2 with stock shocks for a while and the ride wasn't too bad.

5poon
07-07-2004, 10:40 PM
I only recently dumped my 94 teg with king springs and still using my stock shocks. Ride is still fair and car looks sweet.
Make sure you run 17" rims or bigger when you lower for an extra hot looking teg. :D
New shocks will be put on at the end of the year as I was quoted $900 from Pedders to have them replaced. Ouch.

EG_2_TEG
07-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Out of curiosity, how much $$ are Koni adjustables? Do they match Pedder's, Eibach etc. springs too?
they're around the 1k mark. they're pretty much suited to all aftermarket springs

I only recently dumped my 94 teg with king springs and still using my stock shocks.
did ya get lows or superlows?

SiR
08-07-2004, 12:05 PM
they're around the 1k mark. they're pretty much suited to all aftermarket springs

Sweet, thanks mate. Do you know where I can get Koni Adjustables in Sydney?

luzinit
08-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Heasmans Steering, or whiteline !

www.heasmans.com.au or www.whiteline.com.au

SiR
08-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks mate.

SiR
08-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Damn these shocks are expensive, but well worth it I suppose?

tegraa
09-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey thanks guys for all the info and your reply,

I didnt expect to get so much help, you guys are great in here!
Well I put in all the shocks today, took me a while as i replaced all the springs by my self.
The springs fitted sweet on the old shocks. I didn't how ever check the latest postings and did used my old springs. The teg has under 100ks and they seemed in really good nick. The ride is pretty good, but there is a bit of scraping on the guards so got to get them flared. I sits pretty low now, I dont want it getting any lower however due to the cat sitting pretty low.

Anyway Thanks to all, Much Appriciated

EG_2_TEG
09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
I didn't how ever check the latest postings and did used my old springs.
don't ya mean using using your old shocks :wink:

what size rims have ya got atm. i'm gonna get superlow kings when i get 17's soon :)

Boost
09-07-2004, 10:07 PM
i reckon superlow kings with 17" are going to be a bit of a hard ride especially with the low profiles. The thickness of the tyres help reduce the shock impact when hittinh bumps and holes. With low profiles its going to be a bit rough.

tegraa: i reckon if you roll your guards, u might have a bit of a hard time selling it, if those that are picky out there. But FAT guards will look SWEET. Do post a pic up if you do roll them mate!!! :)

ECU-MAN
09-07-2004, 10:15 PM
if your happy with your ride hight and wana keep it the way it is, get a wheel alighnment, changing the ride height of you car changes alighnment, it would be a shame to scrub a nice set of tyres.

Boost
09-07-2004, 10:33 PM
changing ride height will also change the camber angle of the your car so u might need to get a camber kit with it as well.

tegraa
12-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Yeah first sorry, i ment I used my old shocks on the new springs. :cry:
Ive got 14inch alloys on it now and will move up to 16s most likely. Looking for Type R rims, so if anyone knows anything let me know.

Hey EG_2_TEG, I know about the seventeens, cos I had the problem with my last car, which I lowered and slapped seventeens on. (It was a 95 celica)
My teg has kingsprings super lows, with 14's and there is ver little room. so be careful wit the 17's and superlows.
About the wheel alighnment, Kind of knew that, coz i did a bit of homework
but thanks for the tip.

I will however get the guards rolled, not too worried about resale :twisted:

joneblaze
12-07-2004, 05:04 PM
ITR rims are 5 x 114.3 stud pattern. Your Integra will be a 4 x 100 .... unless you've done a hub conversion?

EG_2_TEG
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
i think vti-2 had superlow kings and 18's on his DC2 :D

Boost
12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
holly cow... superlows with 18"! gees.. did those rub the guards or wat?
Why didnt they make life easier for us by make the same hub as the itrs... itr rims would be NICE.!

tegraa
13-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey
you guys might know a bit more then me, im just getting into the Honda scene. My stud pattern is 4 X 100, I knew that the newer models have a 5 stud and the they were in 114 but I not sure but what were the early type R patterns like. I know they were in 4 studs but was it 4 X 100 or 114? :?:
I wouldn't mind original Honda parts while im doing any mods.
Springs on the other hand I just couldn’t help myself.

vti-2
13-07-2004, 12:45 PM
i think vti-2 had superlow kings and 18's on his DC2 :D

Yeah i did. :mrgreen:

joneblaze
13-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey
you guys might know a bit more then me, im just getting into the Honda scene. My stud pattern is 4 X 100, I knew that the newer models have a 5 stud and the they were in 114 but I not sure but what were the early type R patterns like. I know they were in 4 studs but was it 4 X 100 or 114? :?:
I wouldn't mind original Honda parts while im doing any mods.
Springs on the other hand I just couldn’t help myself.

'96 [acronym:9891c422ce="Japanese Domestic Market"]JDM[/acronym:9891c422ce] ITR was the only 4 studder. 4 x 114.3.
I too had similar aspirations... :cry:

Boost
13-07-2004, 02:57 PM
18" slammed would have looked SWEET AS!
Yep only 4 stud available like Jon says is on the Jap. version, but its still not 4x100, so it wont fit anyways.

vti-2
13-07-2004, 03:38 PM
18" slammed would have looked SWEET AS!

Yeah, actually, it did look pretty sweet. I got plenty of pics if you want to see what it looked like. :mrgreen: