PDA

View Full Version : How to flush out the Windscreen washer reservoir?

lkt
01-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi, My euro's windscreen washer reservoir has got fungus in it - and the 'water' is all slimy and smelly.... (as I dont change it often)!:o

Can someone please tell me how to flush out the whole reservoir which will hopefully get rid of the fungus?

I guess I should only fill it up with distilled water?

Thanks!

tron07
01-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Not sure about euro, my previous car, took out the whole reservoir and clean it... maybe can see if anyway to remove it...

terryansimon
01-06-2007, 03:35 PM
my friend's car was flushed back home by a car detailer who blasted the reservoir box with a high pressure host. cleared out everything.

aaronng
01-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Take off your bumper, then there is a drain valve at the bottom of the resevoir tank. Next time, just add a little sonax or rainX windscreen spray additive before adding water as that helps prevent mould growth. Or use your spray more often.

pxrnm
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Take off your bumper, then there is a drain valve at the bottom of the resevoir tank. Next time, just add a little sonax or rainX windscreen spray additive before adding water as that helps prevent mould growth. Or use your spray more often.

hi aaronng,

how much RainX do you usually put in there?

how much water does the washer tank can hold?

do you put in the water to the brink?

Jegi#5
10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I put Rainx in there, about 5 drops or so (maybe a little more, I don't count exactly, just drop some in and shake) per bottle of water ( I use an old powerade bottle). I must say that coming from my dad's 2001 Mitsubishi Verada, the reservoir in the Euro for washer fluid is tiny, get empty really quick :(

aaronng
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
hi aaronng,

how much RainX do you usually put in there?

how much water does the washer tank can hold?

do you put in the water to the brink?

I use Sonax. I put 1/2 of the predetermined dosage per full tank. That way when it dries on the windscreen (where the wipers don't reach), it doesn't stain that badly.

rambohung
10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I've tried to get all water out by spraying (bcos I don't know how do get it out), took a bloody long time lol
Anyway, after I got all water out, I refill with water, and found it hold abt 4.5L.
I want to find out the exact volume to measure the right amount of Rain X washer liquid. Works out abt 1/2 bottle of soultion per tank. The Rain X washer solution cost abt $10 from Supercheap Auto.
Hope this help

mastcell
10-06-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't think high pressure blasting of the water reservoir is a good idea. Why not try a biological way? Put some bleach in there for about 15mins (say 1 part bleach to 9 parts water), it will kill and dissolve the fungus. Then you can drain it out/siphon it out. You can also use hydrogen peroxide or other oxygen bleach if you prefer.

If you keep getting recontamination, then you may have to flush the water line as well with bleach/oxygen bleach. This is what we do for medical water line.

I don't know if bleach will damage the paint, so thoroughly rinse/wash the affected area immediately. Bleach will cause exposed steel and aluminium to corrode, but it is readily dissolved in water and easily removed.

aaronng
11-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't think high pressure blasting of the water reservoir is a good idea. Why not try a biological way? Put some bleach in there for about 15mins (say 1 part bleach to 9 parts water), it will kill and dissolve the fungus. Then you can drain it out/siphon it out. You can also use hydrogen peroxide or other oxygen bleach if you prefer.

If you keep getting recontamination, then you may have to flush the water line as well with bleach/oxygen bleach. This is what we do for medical water line.

I don't know if bleach will damage the paint, so thoroughly rinse/wash the affected area immediately. Bleach will cause exposed steel and aluminium to corrode, but it is readily dissolved in water and easily removed.
No, bleach will damage rubber and clear tubings. Peroxide is better but no point. Just use rainX additive first.

BTW rambohung, don't put in 1/2 a bottle of RainX solution. Start with 1/8 and then see if it is enough to get oily films off the windscreen. If it is not enough, spray out some water and then add more RainX and water again to mix.

mastcell
11-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I agree that you ought to try aaronng's method first. If it does not solve your problem, consider mine suggestion, but I admit it is untested in automotive industry.

Household bleach contain high proportion of sodium chloride and sodium hydroxide, in addition to the sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl - the bleach). The NaCl and NaOH are by-products of hypochlorite production. The NaOCl is a strong oxidiser (kills fungus), the NaOH is strongly alkaline and undergoes saponification process with fatty acids in organic structures (break down the fungus cell wall), and NaCl can combine with the iron (Fe) in steel to cause rust. All three components can react with metals in the car. However, with minimal contact time like 15mins, there is little risk of damage.

I have not heard of NaOCl/NaOH/NaCl damaging rubber and clear tubing (as in medical tubing). If the risk is present, it is probably not significant because it is only used for a short duration, such as a flush.

pxrnm
11-06-2007, 11:06 PM
No, bleach will damage rubber and clear tubings. Peroxide is better but no point. Just use rainX additive first.

BTW rambohung, don't put in 1/2 a bottle of RainX solution. Start with 1/8 and then see if it is enough to get oily films off the windscreen. If it is not enough, spray out some water and then add more RainX and water again to mix.

actually I've done what rambohung did :eek: , that's because the rec. dosage is 1 Ltr = 30 ml of rainX. pretty much half the bottle was used (296ml for whole bottle)

should i spray it out and add in water instead?

will it damage anything if I don't do anything?

aaronng
12-06-2007, 12:06 PM
actually I've done what rambohung did :eek: , that's because the rec. dosage is 1 Ltr = 30 ml of rainX. pretty much half the bottle was used (296ml for whole bottle)

should i spray it out and add in water instead?

will it damage anything if I don't do anything?
Nope, it won't damage anything. Don't worry. I prefer to put less because when I follow their recommended dosage, it's so concentrated that when I spray the windscreen, it foams up and the areas that are not wiped by the wipers get water spots. Just leave it for now and use as normal. If you find that it is too concentrated, just top up with water after a few days. :)

tron07
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I prefer the super diluted mixture, cause these stuffs tend to leave marks on the windscreen or the car paint

insanesam
29-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey guys,

Got a problem with my windscreen washer jet. The left side is good, lots of pressure, but right side just drizzles onto the screen. I've tried taking off the hoses and water seems to be coming through fine. I've poked the jet nozzle with a sewing pin to dislodge any particles and still get very little pressure. But if i leave the pin in and operate the jets the pressure is good. Implies to me that the hole in the jet nozzle is too big now? Anyone with suggestions? Also how much would new jet nozzles cost? Would aftermarket ones from say repco fit?

Thanks

bennjamin
29-01-2008, 01:37 PM
you could sit there , with a hose attachment inside teh top of the water reservoir with it ON, and then spray the wipers on constant to eventually flush all the old fluid out.

WAIT the pipe appears to be catching somewhere under the bonnet when you close it. Check for kinks in the rubber pipe , lower the bonet slowly to make sure it doesnt "fold" or catch onto anything

insanesam
29-01-2008, 01:42 PM
you could sit there , with a hose attachment inside teh top of the water reservoir with it ON, and then spray the wipers on constant to eventually flush all the old fluid out.

yeah i've actualli done that to flush out the old fluid.

WAIT the pipe appears to be catching somewhere under the bonnet when you close it. Check for kinks in the rubber pipe , lower the bonet slowly to make sure it doesnt "fold" or catch onto anything

The thing is if any of the hoses were folded, it should affect both the passenger and driver side, more so probably the passenger side. Howver my passenger side is ok, only the driver side is weak.

bennjamin
29-01-2008, 01:46 PM
if the drivers side is weak the connecting hose is blocked or "kinked".
Take it off (easy , unplugs) and see if there is a blockage or similar

insanesam
29-01-2008, 01:49 PM
if the drivers side is weak the connecting hose is blocked or "kinked".
Take it off (easy , unplugs) and see if there is a blockage or similar

I've check that. The driver side hose from the junction is only like 10cm long and there's no apparent blockages and water is coming through fine.

bennjamin
29-01-2008, 01:51 PM
might pay to disconnect the pipe from the drivers side , and connect it to the passenger side spray unit (and vice versa) - it will cut out where the issue lies.