PDA

View Full Version : Leaky CV Boot

riruiz_88
02-06-2007, 04:12 PM
today i was lookin at my front wheel and noticed some grease on it. i then looked closer into the wheel and could see more traces of grease. it is a cracked boot just behind the brake hub. im gonna change all boots soon, what i wanted to know is whether i need a wheel alignment if i change the steering boots cause one of them is cracked as well? and also if its an easy, medium, difficult task to DIY?

shadou
02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
if you don't have any experiece and/or proper tools it will be a difficult DIY as you will need a breaker bar and a 32mm? socket to remove the drivesahft nut and carefully remove both driveshafts or risk damaging the driveshaft seals which in turns may cause trans fluid to leak.
Not an expensive or time consuming task just got to be wary of the seals before jamming it back in with brute force as some people tend to do.

panda[cRx]
03-06-2007, 03:29 AM
^ not time consuming?

it's not exactly a quick job!

i'd also check the other side as if one side is gone the other side is usually not far off. if ur gonna be paying someone to do it u may as well get change over driveshafts as while the part price is more expensive u save money on labour (and it replaces the whole lot)

riruiz_88
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
;1196634']^ not time consuming?

it's not exactly a quick job!

i'd also check the other side as if one side is gone the other side is usually not far off. if ur gonna be paying someone to do it u may as well get change over driveshafts as while the part price is more expensive u save money on labour (and it replaces the whole lot)

what are "change over driveshafts"? i got the tools needed for the job, just wonderin if would be a job that can be done with a friend and i. u think i should do a DIY thread? im gonna get all the boots changed while im at it.

panda[cRx]
03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
whole reco'd driveshaft assemblies with new boots. takes less time then messing around with boots

shadou
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
just bring it in to a reco place and have them repair it and repack it with new grease. It's not a time consuming job if you know what you are doing it's not like a time belt change

riruiz_88
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
well i dont have the dosh for "change over driveshafts" so im goin for the my original route. wat i also want to know is since the mechanic will be removing the driveshafts, steering shaft, upper control arm etc. would i need to get a wheel alignment or would it be all sweet?

Drew
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Probably will need one yes

$100 for a change over shaft fitted

I stole ur avatar too :P

riruiz_88
04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Probably will need one yes

$100 for a change over shaft fitted

I stole ur avatar too :P

can you tell me more about change over shafts? i have an idea wat they are, but dont have a full understanding of it.
hahaha funny guy steals my avatar and gives me a PQ point, mad guy :thumbsup: :D

Drew
04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
its a used shaft with new cv's and boot on them...

once you fit it, you give them your old one... They fit new cv's, boots to it and sell it again and so forth

destrukshn
04-06-2007, 07:30 PM
lol.
well exhange shafts
you give em your old one, they give a recoed one.
simple.
and you pay them $100, and that's it.

where abouts are you loacted?
lol

shadou
04-06-2007, 07:39 PM
no wheel alignment is needed. Most people recommend it but I don't really see any point to it unless you had wheel alignment issues beforehand and then it'll be best to get one after the installation of the reco'd drive shafts.

riruiz_88
04-06-2007, 07:49 PM
lol.
well exhange shafts
you give em your old one, they give a recoed one.
simple.
and you pay them $100, and that's it.

where abouts are you loacted?
lol

im in sunny QLD. should i just go to a wrecker or is there a certain place i should be lookin at?

Drew
04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Your mech should be able to organize change over shafts for you...

If you get them from a wrecker they might be worse than what you already have so best not

panda[cRx]
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
well i dont have the dosh for "change over driveshafts" so im goin for the my original route.

it's generally the same cost, if not cheaper than just replacing boots as less labour is involved

green_machine
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM
replacing cv boots r easy but you need to know how to do it and the correct CV boot tool and boots shouldnt cost too much less than 100 bucks.
You shouldnt need a wheel alignhment unless the tie rod is spun too many times.

riruiz_88
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
;1199278']it's generally the same cost, if not cheaper than just replacing boots as less labour is involved

is this wat it is? http://www.driveline.com.au/prod_cv.htm
if u's say it is cheap and if they tell me the same story ill go for that option then. but this is a whole new drive shaft isnt it? and as for my steering boots, would i just need the boots or get new steering racks? the racks look new though its just the boots that are gone