PDA

View Full Version : B Series Blow-By (Ab)Normal??

dsp26
02-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi All,

Was just wanting to confirm a couple of things.. I've been told that Blow-By is normal on a B-Series?? I know that shit is acceptable on a gti-r engine but on an NA Honda motor?

I noticed the amount of oil INSIDE my intake manifold when Samo was kindly cleaning it for me during install of the intake spacers.

Now i've rigged up some generic fuel filters as per diagrams below to the 2 hoses connecting to the intake so i could justify the purchase of an oil catch can to myself. The one on the left didn't collect anything but the one on the right connecting to the middle of the manifold did.

Here is the setup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Blow-By1.jpg

And this is how much oil it's collected after 2 days of driving:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/Blow-By2.jpg

Now i've checked the following:
- Cyl comp... 220psi all 4... give or take ~1psi which is negligible.
- No trace of oil in coolant
- No trace of coolant in oil

Sooooo..... is this even blow-by or somethin normal to honda engines?

Also is my fuel rail a stocker?

Search Keywords: blow by, blow-by, oil in intake, oily intake, intake manifold oily, pcv, pcv valve, breather, oil catch can

Samo
02-06-2007, 07:04 PM
i say u should clean ur pcv

dsp26
02-06-2007, 07:07 PM
i say u should clean ur pcv

that black box under the intake mani you were showing me? thats a damn pain in the arse to get to...

is it coz it's clogged/full that it ain't doing it's job to seperate oil/air properly?

DLO01
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Temp/accord_pcv_657b.gif

Bro, its not blow by. And your findings are perfectly normal.

Its the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV). Its works as per the diagram above. The reason your getting Oil in that right filter is explained by the diagram above. And it is perfectly normal. It is possible that the valve may be stuck open all the time. Pull it out an clean it.

Put PCV in Google and your get a better description than anyone could tell you.

Heres a description of the PCV system works as I have explaind on these and other forums.
The 'normal' direction of air flow is from the Intake arm, to the Rocker cover through the motor, out the block, through the PCV valve, then to intake manifold, where it is burn it to the motor.
Because the PCV valve is a 1 way valve theres no point putting a catch can were the breather is on the rocker cover, because air is going 'in' to the motor there.
You need to put your catch can, between the block and the intake manifold. I have my catch can in between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. So it draws oil vapours through the catch can before its sucked into the motor.
You don't 'need' to install a oil catch can, but if you track your car then its probably a good idea.

CRXer
02-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Interesting experiment,think i might look at a catch can

Your fuel rail does look like other stock B16A2's ive seen.

DLO01
02-06-2007, 07:15 PM
During idle the PCV valve would be open and circulate air through the motor.

During throttle open or WOT the PCV valve would probably be closed.

It may be that it is suck open therefore your getting more oil sucked through.

dsp26
02-06-2007, 07:17 PM
^thanks for that!

any chance you can post a pic of your catch can setup? half the reason is also curiosity on where you mounted it.

fair enough it'd be more suitable to have the can for track but i've always been lead to believe oil mixing with the A/F mixture lowers the octane rating of the fuel?

***EDIT***
everythings making sense so far.... i'm just gonna wonder the net for a while and search for a B-Series specific engine part diagram breakdown....need to get all the suggestions above in proper visual perspective.....

dsp26
02-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Your fuel rail does look like other stock B16A2's ive seen.

thanks for this too... solves one of my other mysteries. been looking for stock B-series fuel rail diagrams even as far as ebay pictures.

been trying to track down my rich problem for a while and turning the fuel reg down to about 30psi didn't really solve anything for me...

DLO01
02-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeh, but as I said. the valve should close when you open your throttle or WOT. Thats how I understand it works.

Valve opens when you have Vacume in intake manifold. (butterfly closed)

Valve closes when Vacume is Zero in intake manifold. (Wide open throttle)

I'll get a photo of my setup......

dsp26
02-06-2007, 07:26 PM
yeah all good i understand... which is why i'm looking for the B-series engine diag so i can locate the actual valve and pcv location as i've only vaguely seen it when Samo removed my intake mani.

BUT... as sad as it sounds i did watch the filter for a good 30mins twice while it was idling and nada... it only fills up after a drive?? maybe the convept of the valve is correct but vice versa?

Yeh, but as I said. the valve should close when you open your throttle or WOT. Thats how I understand it works.

Valve opens when you have Vacume in intake manifold. (butterfly closed)

Valve closes when Vacume is Zero in intake manifold. (Wide open throttle)

I'll get a photo of my setup......

DLO01
02-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Heres how my Catch Can is installed:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC01381.jpg

And the PCV valve on my B18C7 is installed on the Intake Manifold between intake runners 3 & 4. I would have thought it would be the same on your B16A2? Can you trace the pipe back and see the Valve? The valve pulls out easier than you think.

=)

DLO01
02-06-2007, 07:57 PM
BUT... as sad as it sounds i did watch the filter for a good 30mins twice while it was idling and nada... it only fills up after a drive?? maybe the convept of the valve is correct but vice versa?

Yeh, your probably right. With higher revs your gonna get more air movement inside the motor, therefore it will push air/oil out past the Pcv valve. :thumbsup:

Samo
02-06-2007, 08:07 PM
yes its the lil black box i showed u last time

fatboyz39
03-06-2007, 09:18 AM
thats normal...if your concern just add a oil catch in and vent the fumes to the atmosphere (illegal).

JasonGilholme
03-06-2007, 09:37 AM
i wouldn't say its "normal".

They didn't come from the factory blowin smoke and my 1996 example of a B16 doesn't blow smoke.

Look into your PCV valve man. :thumbsup:

DOHCVTEC
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
same here, my DC2R 2000 doesn't blow smoke too (unless during a hi G corner at Eastern Creek).

My bro's old 1997 EK4 and another frd's EK4 do not blow smoke or burn oil like mad either.

czy_sol87
07-06-2007, 12:54 PM
this is what my b16a2 fuel rail looks like...
oh and is this the pcv valve circled in red on the end of the IM??
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/czy_sol87/DSC00504.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c276/czy_sol87/DSC00505.jpg

DLO01
07-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Bit hard to see but yes that is the Valve down there between the intake runners.

It easily pulls out (up) if you wanna check if its opperating properly.

Its just hard getting you fingers and hand in there

czy_sol87
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
yeh pics arnt very good...just wanted to know where it was
thanks deano

bennjamin
07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
THis is how to check if it is working properly.

With the engine running , grab a pair of pliers and a piece of rag. Grab a section of the pipe , surround it with the rag and pinch it lightly with the pliers.A working PVC will make a "click" noise. A non-working one will make no noise ( as it will flow air thru the small valve and the spring inside is weak and old) Replace if need be.

you are actually supposed to check / replace the PVC every 40k or so.
It does weaken , and under full throttle can lead to excess oil consumption. A problem on older motors obviously.
Just replace the PVC with a new one and get rid of those inline carby fuel filters. Then put the pipes back to stock ! It works fine :)

dsp26
07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
^^mmk.. will do test tonight thanks.

will pm a certain someone for a quote on the part lol.

guesing it's a Honda only item and theres no generics?

Limbo
07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
btw how much are the PVCs?

P.S my b16a2 rail looks like yours also.

misteR_bilzz
07-06-2007, 05:01 PM
shouldnt be that expensive.. a suzuki swift gti one costs like12bucks from peps.

DLO01
07-06-2007, 07:11 PM
^^mmk.. will do test tonight thanks.

will pm a certain someone for a quote on the part lol.

guesing it's a Honda only item and theres no generics?

Hmm, if you were in brisbane you could of had mine. I have recently changed my ventilation to deal with boost and are not using the valve anymore.

dsp26
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
^^yeah damn.... but i may just replace it with a catch can like your setup... knowing Honda prices...

and thanks everyone for the fuel rail input.

destrukshn
07-06-2007, 07:16 PM
actually, not that expensive.
lol.

dsp26
07-06-2007, 07:18 PM
actually, not that expensive.
lol.

lol... um how would you know ;) mind PMing what you 'think' it's worth?:D

destrukshn
07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
i know what it's worth.
lol
=)
i'll talk to you later, when we meet up, lazy to type.
lol.