PDA

View Full Version : 1st gear gets stuck???

xtina
02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
ok now lately it has been getting worse... when i go to slow down, basically to a stop i go to change into first gear. but it doesnt pop in. i need to really shove it in so then i can carry on my merry way. even if i do end up just putting it in 2nd gear the revs are so low i barely get moving and you can tell its the incorrect take off gear.
i got 96 vtir and yes ive done a search...
just want to know if it's common and simple explaination of why it doesnt pop in and what i can do. thanks :)

shadou
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
gear oil? have you changed it recently? If not relpace with genuine honda MTF and give that a shot before going deeper into diagnosing the problem

180sx
02-06-2007, 08:32 PM
is it hard to put in reverse as well ? how old is the clutch ? i think your clutch is almost finish, my 2 cents

xtina
02-06-2007, 08:36 PM
putting it into reverse if fine but i do need a service.. i been dying to put fresh oils in it but cbf paying some-one to do a simple job. the clutch is fine aswel.. might just try get the gear oil sorted on the weekend.. thanks guys

danau
02-06-2007, 08:36 PM
so you try popping in 1st gear as you slowing down?

my da9 does that as well but i think that there is like a safety thing that prevents going back into 1st if the car is moving over a certain speed..
as you get used to it you may be able to shift around the knob that blocks it..

my 2 cents ... hehe,,

Benson
02-06-2007, 10:17 PM
putting it into reverse if fine but i do need a service.. i been dying to put fresh oils in it but cbf paying some-one to do a simple job. the clutch is fine aswel.. might just try get the gear oil sorted on the weekend.. thanks guys

Dont be lazy and do an gearbox oil change. If you cbf paying some1, just do it yourself. Its easy as.

DOHCVTEC
02-06-2007, 11:01 PM
if it is caused by incorrect revs you can try the following double declutching:

1. put it to neutral and let off the clutch pedal,
2. blip the throttle to rev the engine up a bit,
3. push clutch pedal and engage 1st gear.
'
This method will let you get into 1st gear smooth and fine even if u're going 40km/h, as long as your revs are below the 1st gear's max allowable speed. It will also prevent / reduce wear on ur synchros.

check your transmission oil first, as it's usually what's causing this problem.

aaronng
02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
if it is caused by incorrect revs you can try the following double declutching:

1. put it to neutral and let off the clutch pedal,
2. blip the throttle to rev the engine up a bit,
3. push clutch pedal and engage 1st gear.
'
This method will let you get into 1st gear smooth and fine even if u're going 40km/h, as long as your revs are below the 1st gear's max allowable speed. It will also prevent / reduce wear on ur synchros.

check your transmission oil first, as it's usually what's causing this problem.

100% what I was going to type. :)

Zilli
03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
i dont understand why you are shifting into first unless you are at a complete stop. THats what first gear is for, if your rolling at 20km/h second will stutter a bit but will get you moving, thats what ive fund with my car anyway, if im rolling, AT ALLL, i mean even if its walking pace, i take off in second... because first gear is usually hard to select unless you do double clutch as mentioned above

get your car serviced, it should be that hard to take off in 2nd if the car is already moving

Kiki
04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
i think it happens in most cars, when working at honda and bob jane i found the same thing in a lot of cars, because i was curious as to why it happened in my car, i found it happened in most especially from certain speeds....wouldnt worry but maayb get checkd out ne ways

xtina
04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
thanks for the input.. im leaving in 3 weeks so thats why i havnt worried about it too much... i just kept thinking when i do leave it in second and im going really slow i dont really get anywhere when taking off. yer i leave it in 2nd gear most of the time but the revs are so low it shits me to have the car sounding like i dont know which gear i should be in... but thanks.. il give the advice ago. i havnt had the car for long so still getting used to all its little surprises

votek
04-06-2007, 11:30 PM
wouldnt it be that the first gear is double sycro?

aaronng
04-06-2007, 11:51 PM
wouldnt it be that the first gear is double sycro?
Having double synchros should make it easier to get into 1st than compared to a gearbox with only a single synchro on 1st gear.

aydo14
06-06-2007, 04:54 PM
that happens to my dc2 aswel occasionaly,

just take your foot off the accelerator and clutch, put it in neutral
then push the clutch in say twice, so the gears can reset and everthing can align properly,
then try puting it in 1st again

shadou
06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
just change your gearbox oil it'll more than likely fix your problem as I had a similar problem a little while back. I never downshift into first though.

SHIFTY
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
i kinda have simuler problem with my itr...

but sometimes cant select reverse...

gets ***n anoying!!

changed the box oil and is alot better..

so my advice.. change g/b oil :)

aaronng
06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
If you are moving at 20km/h and want to get into 1st gear, put it into neutral, take your foot off the clutch, blip to 2000rpm and then clutch in and shift into 1st. Then blip again to rev match before releasing the clutch.

shadou
06-06-2007, 10:40 PM
or.... stop the natural way and use the brakes :p first gear is for take off, don't see why you need to downshift into first.

jwai
10-06-2007, 07:11 PM
i believe this is a comon thing with integra's...a gear box oil change will only be a temporary fix so my advice is to only change it wen your servicing the car...
ive heard its more of a safety lock type thing where you cant put it into gear one whilst moving (at even slow speeds).but i duno how true that was.
best thing ive found is whats already been recommended...just go to neutral and then gear one...
for reverse gear...chuck it in gear 4 and then reverse...seems to work for me. :D

DOHCVTEC
14-06-2007, 11:02 AM
i believe this is a comon thing with integra's...a gear box oil change will only be a temporary fix so my advice is to only change it wen your servicing the car...
ive heard its more of a safety lock type thing where you cant put it into gear one whilst moving (at even slow speeds).but i duno how true that was.
best thing ive found is whats already been recommended...just go to neutral and then gear one...
for reverse gear...chuck it in gear 4 and then reverse...seems to work for me. :D

the safety only prevents u shifting from 5th to reverse accidentally.

There's no such thing for first gear.

as I said, you can get into first gear while going 40kays/h if you double declutch.

danau
15-06-2007, 01:07 PM
kewl... is it a problem if.. you can shift from 3rd to 4th WITHOUT clutching.. ?
i've done it a few times.. but have stopped cuz dunno if its bad :P

-or maybe it was just right timing and revs, that allow for slipping 3rd to 4th?

lilwilliam
15-06-2007, 11:34 PM
kewl... is it a problem if.. you can shift from 3rd to 4th WITHOUT clutching.. ?
i've done it a few times.. but have stopped cuz dunno if its bad :P

-or maybe it was just right timing and revs, that allow for slipping 3rd to 4th?

poor da9.

PHAT1
19-06-2007, 11:28 PM
you have a clutch problem. but first try and use a thinner oil like mobil1 5-50 as long as you don't have lsd then it's ok,but if you do have lsd then you should us red line(top of the shelf gear oil)

Bludger
20-06-2007, 12:04 PM
i beleive that you should never start in 1st unless you are at a complete stop.
no matter how slow you are moving or how steep the hill, 2nd gear will be the way to go IMO

aaronng
20-06-2007, 02:34 PM
i beleive that you should never start in 1st unless you are at a complete stop.
no matter how slow you are moving or how steep the hill, 2nd gear will be the way to go IMO

If you are moving at 5km/h and there is a steep hill, 2nd gear will lug you engine.

Bludger
20-06-2007, 03:08 PM
If you are moving at 5km/h and there is a steep hill, 2nd gear will lug you engine.
depends how you ride the clutch :)

aaronng
20-06-2007, 03:18 PM
depends how you ride the clutch :)

Ugh... :thumbdwn:

Bludger
20-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Ugh... :thumbdwn:

yyeah, i know, if i feel the engine is struggling, of course i get it back into 1st.:)

Jezzah
20-06-2007, 08:42 PM
i had this problem also with my DC2R, and my gears crunched from 3 to 4. thought it was a loose syncro, but a simple transmission fuild change with honda MTF resolved it. saved me $500