PDA

View Full Version : temperature on car

andiiso
02-06-2007, 11:47 PM
hey guys, i drive an ek4 as most of you know since i ask so many questions, and my car seems to take a long time to get to operating temperature (on the meter on my dash anyway) i drive about 20kms and its only just on or a little bit past the "C" .. and also say im driving it goes up to almost operating temp and then a little later itll drop down a little etc. One time i was driving quite far and it went up to operating temperature and then i gave it a little vtec n had a little fun and it dropped back down to 1/4 could soemthing be wrong with my thermostat or the temp sensor or just the gauge on my dash?

thanks for any input guys

Samo
02-06-2007, 11:55 PM
sounds like ur themostat is stuck partially open most of the time

that quite common ... change the themostat ... cheap fix .. GL

ps get a oem thomostat ... they are good ...
aftermarket oem replacements are usually crappy quality

SLOWEGG
02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
My friends EK4 does that too. If hes at the lights his temp needle will be at the middle, but when he starts driving it goes to almost cold..

andiiso
03-06-2007, 12:09 AM
yea, i was thinking the thermostat, but by changing the oem one back in wouldnt it do the same if this also happen on other ek4 ? just a thought .. or maybe ek4 are known to stuff up thermostat after certain amount of time.

d15z1SUX
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
is that because when your moving theres air flowing to the radiator which cools the water temp down?

andiiso
03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
but i think it should still stay at operating temperature IF the thermostat was functioning properly, if there was enough air n all, the thermstat should close so it doesnt overcool, and if its gettin hot it would open up again to cool it back down but always acheiving the operating temperature. So im thinking myself that it is also the thermostat partially open cos mine doesnt even heat up, should be at the operating temp bwithin 5-10 kms ? if even that, but mine at 20kms still on "C" lolz

jdm_kid
03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
When u stop at a traffic light or something, just your Temp gauge jump up all the way to half way?

Most common, refer to thread - http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8692

andiiso
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
nah not realli, usually doesnt even jump up, takes quite a long drive to get it up to operating temp. i might go change my temp sensor (is this what send the signal of temp to my gauge yea?) and my thermostat.

jdm_kid
03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
change / check ur thermostat?

Check the thermostat (located where the hose and the engine). Put the thermostat into a pot of boiling water to see if valve plate opens. Put the thermostat in the freezer to see if the valve closes.

destrukshn
03-06-2007, 02:02 PM
change your thermostat first.
it's not likely your sensor.

andiiso
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
aiight, will do that soon, btw anyone know about the seatbelt retractors etc ? mine seem to not retract nicely, i havta feed it in, can give info on how much it would cost to buy parts and labour etc ? is it a big job ?

JamB
03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
i bought a replacement thermo stat for my dc2 the other day $55 bucks from honda

just thought u'd like to know

andiiso
03-06-2007, 05:13 PM
awesome, was about to ask how much it would be for thermostat haha

jazcivic
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
don't be surprised if you find that there's no thermostat in your engine.

previous owner may have carried out a quick overheating summer fix !
(if you're not the first owner of the ek4)

andiiso
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
changed thermostat today, alll good now, warms up nicely n normally, no more dropping up n down etc, thanks for tip guys

MRB18C
04-07-2007, 09:53 PM
i have a very similar problem in my eg4 b18c. i don't think my radiator fan is working. the temp in the dash is showing good but if i jump out at the lights and touch the radiator its boiling. and i can never hear the fan spinning. very similar to my a/c fan. wont spin while a/c is on.

czy_sol87
04-07-2007, 11:53 PM
i have a very similar problem in my eg4 b18c. i don't think my radiator fan is working. the temp in the dash is showing good but if i jump out at the lights and touch the radiator its boiling. and i can never hear the fan spinning. very similar to my a/c fan. wont spin while a/c is on.

ur fan switch is probly stuffed, buy another on or try someone elses switch to see if its the problem

MRB18C
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
yeah ill give that a try. thanks mate