PDA

View Full Version : car leaking oil

flipstar
03-06-2007, 10:45 AM
hey guys my car seems to be leaking oil after a good drive but its a slow leak the oil patch wnt b big until a few hours but if i drive the car jus down the road or sumthing there wnt be any oil leak any ideas where the leak might be coming from guys? much heap would be appreciated

Jesse

Drew
03-06-2007, 11:50 AM
You're kidding right? Seriously how the **** are we supposed to know?

Take it to a mechanic that can put it on a hoist and look... could be millions of places its leaking from

Nikki
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
yeah dude thats something you should go look under the car for/go to a mechanic

EuroAccord13
07-06-2007, 06:40 AM
So many variables to oil leaks...

Sump plug, valve cover gasket, crankshaft seals etc... Sit the car and try and find the source of the leak.. If your engine bay is too dirty or oily, give it a good degreasing job and then sit and wait for leaks to appear...

bennjamin
07-06-2007, 08:30 AM
park it over night on some flat ground , and observe in the morning what area on the ground or on the engine the oil has leaked too.
Then message back here

lil_miss_vtec
07-06-2007, 08:35 AM
My car did that - it was the sump plug, when the oil was hot and thinner it would leak.. :( easy fix tho

flipstar
07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
hey guys i jus had a look and its leaking just above the oil filter cause i saw drops forming on a few bolts under it and i felt around n there was a big oil clump could it be a loose bolt or sumthing

lil_miss_vtec
07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
On ur oil filter there is a rubber seal that can easily come off when u replace the filter as u turn it sideways to scew it on... (I speak from experience...) It happened 2 me b4 but it leaked a sh*t load and I knew straight away!!

lil_miss_vtec
07-06-2007, 08:43 AM
or u didnt scew it on tight enough

flipstar
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
nah its not leaking around the oil filter its just the area above it and it all comes down 2 bolts below and form droplets

bennjamin
07-06-2007, 08:48 AM
or u didnt scew it on tight enough

you musnt OVER tighten a oil filter. Firmly with your clean hand is good enough. Too tight can snag the filter to the thread once the engine warms up etc.

Drew
07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Probably rocker cover gasket

jdm_kid
07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
sniff it lol

dsp26
07-06-2007, 07:13 PM
do as stated and park overnight and look at the puddle in the morning.

First thing to determine to help narrow things down between engine/gearbox would be oil colour... then take note of whereabouts the oil spot is he ground compared to your engine bay..

Drew
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Parking it overnight and seeing where the oil leaks are on the ground is pointless as it can run down the block, then across the cross member to the other side of the car before dripping onto the ground...

So the stain could be on the left side but might actually be leaking on the right side of the motor...

Just take it to a bloody mechanic and you will be able to see it, clear as daylight rather than pointlessly wondering where the **** its coming from
Seriously it will take like two minutes

Stop wasting your and our time...

Limbo
09-06-2007, 05:54 PM
The bolts above the oil filter i believe is where the oil pressure sender is.
It usually does not leak unless you've been playing with it.

You gonna have to clean the entire area, then go for a drive and watch for where the oil is leaking to precisely locate the oil leak. Then its a matter of replacing the seal that is leaking. Usually abit of gasket glue works well.

P.S Their right do not over tighten the oil filter. IF its leaking from the filter you need to take it off, clean the seal, apply some oil then screw it on properly.

dupac->
09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
oh relax Drew, everyone's here to help
no need to be a complete moron about it

Drew
09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not being a moron about it... you are

dupac->
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
lol ok

misteR_bilzz
09-06-2007, 11:14 PM
So many variables to oil leaks...

Sump plug, valve cover gasket, crankshaft seals etc... Sit the car and try and find the source of the leak.. If your engine bay is too dirty or oily, give it a good degreasing job and then sit and wait for leaks to appear...

^^ what he said. :thumbsup: