PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start car alarm

dfekm3
04-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Hi Guys,

I know alot of people flame the remote start on the car alarm but I like to have it. Reason is cold in the morning, car starts up starts to warm up while Im getting ready.

Summer, I can cool my car down before getting into it..

But anywho... I am installing a new Steelmate car alarm into my friends Civic as well as another Subaru WRX.

I have installed alarms before so that aint a problem. The issue is on the diagram there is this just one wire for the remote start. I need to find a wire in the car that when the engine is running it is showing 12V+ and when the engine is off is showing 0V even if the key is in ACC or ON posistion.

Any ideas what wire to look for in a civic or a wrx. I have only installed the alarm into the wrx today but no point me starting to do the civic until I find this wire.

With out this wire, the alarm thinks that it hasnt started yet so when i press the button it the car starts then turns off, starts agian, turns off etc.. coz of the wire doesnt kno the engine is running.

Cheers

Quoc

Bayani
04-06-2007, 03:28 AM
It's Illegal.

That being said.

It is illegal to have your car running and unattended whilst in a public place.
Now, if you choose to use it in your own driveway you are not breaking any laws. It is Private Property.

But guess what.
Even if you can by-pass that little tid-bit by doing it on your own property.. There is this:

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 25/00 – Anti-Theft Lock) 2006 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/framelodgmentattachments/18155C6BA0557476CA25724B001292D9)

Section 25.1.2. An “engine off” position shall prevent normal functioning of the engine.

Unattended, is defined by the National Transport Commission (Road Transport Legislation — Compliance and Enforcement Bill) Regulations 2006 as:

24 Meaning of unattended vehicle or combination and driver of disconnected trailer

(1) For the purposes of this Part, a vehicle or a combination is unattended if:

(a) where the authorised officer or police officer concerned:

(i) is present at the scene — there is, after inspection and enquiry by the officer that is reasonable in the circumstances, apparently no person in, on or in the vicinity of the vehicle or the combination who appears to be a driver of the vehicle or the combination; or

(ii) is not present at the scene but is able to inspect the scene by means of camera or other remote surveillance system — there is, after inspection by the officer that is reasonable in the circumstances, apparently no person in, on or in the vicinity of the vehicle or the combination who appears to be a driver of the vehicle or the combination; or

(b) where there is apparently such a person in, on or in the vicinity of the vehicle or combination — the officer believes on reasonable grounds that:

(i) the person is not qualified, not fit or not authorised to drive it; or

(ii) the person is or appears to be unwilling to drive it; or

(iii) the person is subject to a direction under section 31 (Direction to leave vehicle or combination) in relation to the vehicle or combination.

(2) A reference in this Part to the driver of a vehicle is, in a case where the vehicle is a trailer and is not connected (either directly or by one or more other trailers) to a towing vehicle, a reference to the driver of the towing vehicle to which the trailer was or apparently was last connected.

reactiveman
04-06-2007, 07:36 AM
I believe its the wire running from the alternator that your after.

m3ntAL_l2
04-06-2007, 09:23 AM
dont do it if ur car has immobilizer

dfekm3
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Bayani;1197901]It's Illegal.

[QUOTE]

Thanks, I was looking for advice not getting flamed. I know it is Illegal as I have read it on many threads before but all I was asking is for some advice from other members.

My last car I had a Boomerang alarm installed by a pro in a shop and they didnt say anything, car got defected, took it to regency to get the sticker remoted, they didnt say anything.

As long as it is wired up correctly that is all that matters and to use remote start, there are built in saftey precautions into the alarm to ensure that your car is not in gear before it can remote start.

dfekm3
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
dont do it if ur car has immobilizer

Hi dude,
Its a all in one alarm kit, immob, alarm, remote start etc etc etc

But yea the car does not have a factory immob.

reactiveman:
Is there any other wires inside the cabin I can look for?

BluEG
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
found this on the net when i went to install my alarm
the other week

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1047.html

basically just find the ignition harness and its easy from there ;)

its connected to you main fuse box usually

check this site for good info

http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/version6/stealth_alarm/index.html

good luck, steel mate alarms arent to hard to install if you know a bit about electrics :D

dfekm3
04-06-2007, 11:20 PM
found this on the net when i went to install my alarm
the other week

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1047.html

basically just find the ignition harness and its easy from there ;)

its connected to you main fuse box usually

check this site for good info

http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/version6/stealth_alarm/index.html

good luck, steel mate alarms arent to hard to install if you know a bit about electrics :D

Hi dude

Thanks for the tips.

Ive installed heaps of car alarms, house alarms etc before, alarms with turbo timers but this is the first time with a remote start in it.

Ive connected it all, the alarm works fine etc, just one wire left over for the remote start function... if i dont connect it, the alarm keeps on thinking the car hasnt started yet and keeps on cranking... hehe